Author Topic: NHR: How Liberty University Built a Billion-Dollar Empire Online  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since Liberty is looking for a conference home and C-USA has been mentioned as a possibility, I thought that this article might be of interest.  It's long but very informative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/magazine/how-liberty-university-built-a-billion-dollar-empire-online.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

HerdFans.com

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Re: NHR: How Liberty University Built a Billion-Dollar Empire Online
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You may not like them, but Liberty gets %^&* done.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since Liberty is looking for a conference home and C-USA has been mentioned as a possibility, I thought that this article might be of interest.  It's long but very informative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/magazine/how-liberty-university-built-a-billion-dollar-empire-online.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

CUSA has already told them no, unless they are re-considering.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:36:50 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • CUSA has got to be run by complete idiots. They should have let Liberty in with open arms. I would rather have them any day than half the schools in CUSA. Not to mention their 30+ million they were offering. There is such a hatred for Christianity in this country today, that it is beyond absurd.

The following users thanked this post: herddds, VA Herd Fan, THECHAMPISHERE

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 12:10:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CUSA has got to be run by complete idiots. They should have let Liberty in with open arms. I would rather have them any day than half the schools in CUSA. Not to mention their 30+ million they were offering. There is such a hatred for Christianity in this country today, that it is beyond absurd.

One of the obstacles is that the former-Baylor AD is at Liberty.  Below is an excerpt from an article I found.

"Only two realistic options exist: the Sun Belt and Conference USA.

We said this story was not complicated. Here it is, as simple as can be:

The Sun Belt and C-USA — more specifically, their commissioners and leadership structures — cannot allow Liberty to join their conferences until Ian McCaw is dismissed as athletic director.

This should be a slam-dunk for C-USA, whose commissioner is Judy MacLeod. Surely, the only female conference commissioner in the FBS will not allow a McCaw-led program into her league. This leaves Sun Belt Commissioner Karl Benson (formerly of the WAC) as the person who must insist that Liberty find a new captain for its athletic department.

Yes, it should be said that when Liberty begins life as an FBS independent — as part of its transition process — no FBS program should schedule the Flames until McCaw is gone. That point can’t go unmentioned here. However, Liberty can load up on FCS teams and not have to face the full consequences of its decisions. When the transitional period ends and the Flames need a conference to land in, Karl Benson and the Sun Belt have to say no… unless or until McCaw is out of the picture.

Meekly allowing the Flames to join an FBS conference would turn “Give me Liberty!” into a dark chapter in the history of college sports."

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CUSA has already told them no, unless they are re-considering.

Yet, we took Charlotte and FIU. Liberty has is moving forward quickly and has that dreaded word -  "potential".

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline coalherd

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, Mike Hamrick has already secured a home and home football series with Liberty, IIRC.  When announced, it appeared to be a very nice deal, financially, for MU cause we're getting a lot more $$$$ from the Flames to go to Lynchburg than they will get in coming to H-town!!!

Hope we will be hearing in the not too distant future that MH has landed another "money" game with another Power program like our game at South Carolina in September.

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 12:48:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CUSA has already told them no, unless they are re-considering.

Why in the world have we already told them no?? I don't get it.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yet, we took Charlotte and FIU. Liberty has is moving forward quickly and has that dreaded word -  "potential".

From what I have heard, the league presidents just couldn't accept LU's take on things like gay marriage, etc.

They were ready to give the league $24 million and along with that came their TV network as well.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herd2win

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fire the league administration and hire someone with vision....I don't agree with a lot of what some schools teach but I agree they should be allowed to be in a conference....why is only one view not allowed but others that you may not agree with are?

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fire the league administration and hire someone with vision....I don't agree with a lot of what some schools teach but I agree they should be allowed to be in a conference....why is only one view not allowed but others that you may not agree with are?

It wasn't the league administration, They have NO vote on anything. All voting is done by the 14 conference member presidents.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Herdadelphia

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is their policy on tailgating? There is zero chance I am going there for a Marshall football game if there is no tailgating.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is their policy on tailgating? There is zero chance I am going there for a Marshall football game if there is no tailgating.

Probably tailgate, but perhaps sans alcohol.  So bring a lot of liquids like Zima, O'Douls, etc.!  ;)

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 01:17:04 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

Are you serious?
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline svherd

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From what I have heard, the league presidents just couldn't accept LU's take on things like gay marriage, etc.

They were ready to give the league $24 million and along with that came their TV network as well.

Wow! That's hard to turn down. I don't understand turning them down. Yes, we may not like their stance as an institution but most institutions have different views on many topics - that should not transcend to the field of competition. Doesn't mean all CUSA schools have to be connected at the hip. jmho.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: herddds

Offline Herdadelphia

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are you serious?

For sure. My group of MU friends usually hits one or two away games a year. These are our reunions as we have all moved all over the country. Zero chance we would pick a game where we can't tailgate together before hand.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 01:29:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Probably tailgate, but perhaps sans alcohol.  So bring a lot of liquids like Zima, O'Douls, etc.!  ;)

Lynchburg is not a dry town.  If you go to Liberty, you are not supposed to drink, but I don't think that would be limiting for visitors.

Why do you always take two Baptists fishing?

If you take one Baptist, he'll drink all your beer. If you take two Baptists, they won't drink ANY of your beer.

riflearm3

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]3

• There is such a hatred for Christianity in this country today

Oh, I don't think it is as much as "hatred for Christianity" as it is a hatred for bigotry. The bigotry other major religions show is also despised by those same people, including me. But since Christianity is the most followed religion in this country, by far, their bigotry is attacked far more than less popular religions in this country that practice the same hate.

Why in the world have we already told them no?? I don't get it.

It's called principle. Not everything is about money. Further, some of it is about Title IX. I'm sure there are some legal arguments that exclude schools like Liberty from having to follow all of the Title IX rules, especially those guidelines the Obama administration advised, but there are some other Title IX issues that would cause red flags to go up for conference officials while considering a school like Liberty.

Don't forget, the C-USA commissioner is (or was the last I knew) a woman. What do you think her thoughts are on the former Baylor AD who is now at Liberty as their AD? I can't fault her for those views.

Yes, we may not like their stance as an institution but most institutions have different views on many topics - that should not transcend to the field of competition.

Really? So, you'd be fine with welcoming a conference mate and scheduling games against a school that bars blacks or other racial and ethnic minorities from enrolling and competing at their school? You'd be fine with playing a Muslim university if the school promotes the killing of all people who don't convert to Islam?

You claim that "most institutions have different views on many topics." Really? Tell me all of these colleges that have such different official stances on many topics. Then, show me all of them that have such a bigoted, open view on homosexuals, transgenders, etc. Those things shouldn't be acceptable.

The following users thanked this post: Herdadelphia

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh, I don't think it is as much as "hatred for Christianity" as it is a hatred for bigotry. The bigotry other major religions show is also despised by those same people, including me. But since Christianity is the most followed religion in this country, by far, their bigotry is attacked far more than less popular religions in this country that practice the same hate.

It's called principle. Not everything is about money. Further, some of it is about Title IX. I'm sure there are some legal arguments that exclude schools like Liberty from having to follow all of the Title IX rules, especially those guidelines the Obama administration advised, but there are some other Title IX issues that would cause red flags to go up for conference officials while considering a school like Liberty.

Don't forget, the C-USA commissioner is (or was the last I knew) a woman. What do you think her thoughts are on the former Baylor AD who is now at Liberty as their AD? I can't fault her for those views.

Really? So, you'd be fine with welcoming a conference mate and scheduling games against a school that bars blacks or other racial and ethnic minorities from enrolling and competing at their school? You'd be fine with playing a Muslim university if the school promotes the killing of all people who don't convert to Islam?

You claim that "most institutions have different views on many topics." Really? Tell me all of these colleges that have such different official stances on many topics. Then, show me all of them that have such a bigoted, open view on homosexuals, transgenders, etc. Those things shouldn't be acceptable.

Maybe some people believe in morals? Im against it and dont care who knows it!!!! And also sick of it being pushed in my face evertime i turn on the tv.
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:41:42 PM by herdorbust »

riflearm3

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • Maybe some people believe in morals? Im against it and dont care who knows it!!!! And also sick of it being pushed in my face evertime i turn on the tv.

Thankfully, your morals are soon to be archaic, just like the "morals" of being against interracial marriages, against blacks in sports, etc. are now archaic but were once considered "having morals."

And, thankfully, the heads of the Conference USA colleges have better morals than you and do not want to be associated with an organization that is bigoted against people simply because of who they fall in love with.

The following users thanked this post: Herdadelphia

Offline svherd

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh, I don't think it is as much as "hatred for Christianity" as it is a hatred for bigotry. The bigotry other major religions show is also despised by those same people, including me. But since Christianity is the most followed religion in this country, by far, their bigotry is attacked far more than less popular religions in this country that practice the same hate.

Uh, last time I looked, Liberty has black athletes competing for the school. Man you are a damn drama queen. So by your stance, schools shouldn't play Liberty because of their administrations policies or beliefs? That has nothing to do with the athletes. I guess that means no school should play Baylor for being labeled as condoning rape and sexual harassment. No one should play Penn St. for fear of being labeled that they approve of child molestation? Move along junior.
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:25:49 PM by svherd »

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thankfully, your morals are soon to be archaic, just like the "morals" of being against interracial marriages, against blacks in sports, etc. are now archaic but were once considered "having morals."

And, thankfully, the heads of the Conference USA colleges have better morals than you and do not want to be associated with an organization that is bigoted against people simply because of who they fall in love with.

Ill bet your morals are for transgenders, like men going into little girls restrooms.  NICE!!!!! but i wont respond to you again. Noy worth my time!!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 03:58:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, you'd be fine with welcoming a conference mate and scheduling games against a school that bars blacks or other racial and ethnic minorities from enrolling and competing at their school?

Ok, you have to follow up on this one. Are you stating that Liberty does not allow blacks to enroll? I

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Rifle are you trying to ruin the entire internet or just MU message boards?

The herd nation tolerates you, is that not enough?
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Flat Tire 2, herdorbust

Offline herd2win

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 04:34:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is it Riflearm or Candyarm?

HerdFans.com