Author Topic: New Herd Hoops Offer  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Herdmeister

New Herd Hoops Offer
« on: April 24, 2018, 06:59:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Herd offered this young man a scholarship last night. 6'7" PG high school junior from Minnesota. Wisconsin and Minnestoa among others have already offered.

Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, parshall2marshall, marshallperson50, herdorbust, goherd14562

HerdFans.com

New Herd Hoops Offer
    « on: April 24, 2018, 06:59:00 AM »

Online Always THE HERD

Re: New Herd Hoops Offer
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]6
  • The Herd offered this young man a scholarship last night. 6'7" PG high school junior from Minnesota. Wisconsin and Minnestoa among others have already offered.

~
    Are you sure this isn't a secret and should be kept from most of us until the end of the semester?

The following users thanked this post: jstherd

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]2
  • ~
    Are you sure this isn't a secret and should be kept from most of us until the end of the semester?

He could just private message some of us. You arent doing yourself any favors acting like this!!!!!!

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, forphase1, horsrman, Scottyo614

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ~

This is public knowledge. What a kid does in the classroom or around campus is NOT
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, horsrman, CoachSkip, JReese

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know we say it a lot, but he looks like he would be a perfect fit for danny's pick and roll system.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know we say it a lot, but he looks like he would be a perfect fit for danny's pick and roll system.

Actually, they are looking at him as a possible PG here
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: goherd14562

Offline jstherd

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As good as he looks, IMO he would be a good fit for any system. Go DD, get him in the truck!

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, they are looking at him as a possible PG here

If he's 6'7" now, has the ball handling ability & court knowledge, grows another 2 inches,
    we might have our version of Magic Johnson??

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 10:29:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As good as he looks, IMO he would be a good fit for any system. Go DD, get him in the truck!

With regional schools close to him Minnesota and Wisconsin, it will be a VERY tough sell.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With regional schools close to him Minnesota and Wisconsin, it will be a VERY tough sell.

If you check his Twitter feed, he looks very very excited to have gotten an offer from Wisconsin... Us, just a little blip on his Twitter feed. Don't think we end up with him.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you check his Twitter feed, he looks very very excited to have gotten an offer from Wisconsin... Us, just a little blip on his Twitter feed. Don't think we end up with him.

I agree
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline goherd14562

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is his name the device I am on blocked it out.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 11:09:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is his name the device I am on blocked it out.

Tyler Wahl

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, they are looking at him as a possible PG here

That was what i meant. Looks like he can really pass it and has the length.

Online overherd1

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would be a good get for sure.  Tough competition for him though,

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline JReese

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 11:37:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

LOL.....yeah but they never seem to find Jannson when he rolls.
    All I have ever truly wanted to be was a great dad.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline chris88

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His game may be better suited for MU's system and CUSA than Big10.....which seems to have a lot of beefier, physical guards and more of an inside out mentality.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With regional schools close to him Minnesota and Wisconsin, it will be a VERY tough sell.

Agreed, since he is from Minnesota, it will be very difficult to sign him. Plus the chance to play in the B10, must be very attractive to him. Give DD credit for going after the young man.

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed, since he is from Minnesota, it will be very difficult to sign him. Plus the chance to play in the B10, must be very attractive to him. Give DD credit for going after the young man.

And if he finds the beef & physicality in B10 too much, he may remember who else offered him a shot and be worth sitting out a year on a transfer to get more playing time??

Would be a great addition.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And if he finds the beef & physicality in B10 too much, he may remember who else offered him a shot and be worth sitting out a year on a transfer to get more playing time??

Would be a great addition.

Danny has told us many times, we will NOT take a player that we had offered and they had turned us down the first time.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The thing I like about DD's recruiting philosophy is that he seems to only go after guys who will fit his system.  Bennett and Cook are two exceptions, but I think DD realizes he needs a little beef underneath the basket for defensive purposes and to help with rebounding.  But he can get by with one or two guys who might not fit offensively in his system, but they fill a specific need.   

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 01:40:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The thing I like about DD's recruiting philosophy is that he seems to only go after guys who will fit his system.  Bennett and Cook are two exceptions, but I think DD realizes he needs a little beef underneath the basket for defensive purposes and to help with rebounding.  But he can get by with one or two guys who might not fit offensively in his system, but they fill a specific need.

I'm not sure that being thin instead of beefy is a prerequisite for fitting our system. From what I've read and seen, Bennett is a skilled offensive player that can face the basket. DD, by accounts, has also altered his shot to give him better range. I believe Cook is the same, just not as good overall as Bennett.

I think the reason we end up with thinner big men is cause skilled heavy bigs are not easy to come by and end up at big time programs. This leaves us with less physically prepared projects with height. Keep making runs to the tournament and you will likely see the skilled beef coming our way more often.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 01:40:36 PM »

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not sure that being thin instead of beefy is a prerequisite for fitting our system. From what I've read and seen, Bennett is a skilled offensive player that can face the basket. DD, by accounts, has also altered his shot to give him better range. I believe Cook is the same, just not as good overall as Bennett.

I think the reason we end up with thinner big men is cause skilled heavy bigs are not easy to come by and end up at big time programs. This leaves us with less physically prepared projects with height. Keep making runs to the tournament and you will likely see the skilled beef coming our way more often.

I agree with everything you said.  I wasn't trying to say that DD intentionally only recruits thin players.  My point is that we have a lot of thin players that make up the roster and DD recognized that he needed a couple of beefier guys to fill a need.  Neither Bennett nor Cook really fit what DD is looking for, guys who can stretch the defense by shooting the 3, put the ball on the floor, guard multiple positions, etc.  DD explained when he signed Bennett that he is the exception to the rule, because he is a very skilled offensively underneath the basket and that he is Shaq like in his skill.  I think DD accepting Cook as a transfer is a direct result in needing a player or two who can body up on the other team's big and not get pushed around.  In fact, there was a couple of times this past season that DD made reference to Bennett and Cook in post game interviews after we got pushed around under the basket.  I specifically remember his saying after the Xavier game that he had a couple of big guys sitting out and that we wouldn't get pushed around as easily next season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline coalherd

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 03:58:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 6-7 or 6-8 and possibly a point guard?  Man, he sounds like he could potentially be another Leo Rautins, the big 6-8 kid from Canada that we lost after Stu Aberdeen's death.  He went on to star at Syracuse for Boeheim, primarily as a 6'8" guard/point guard.  Could only guess what Herd basketball would possibly have attained 3 decades or so ago if it wasn't for Stu's untimely passing!!!

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 04:26:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • 6-7 or 6-8 and possibly a point guard?  Man, he sounds like he could potentially be another Leo Rautins, the big 6-8 kid from Canada that we lost after Stu Aberdeen's death.  He went on to star at Syracuse for Boeheim, primarily as a 6'8" guard/point guard.  Could only guess what Herd basketball would possibly have attained 3 decades or so ago if it wasn't for Stu's untimely passing!!!
    ~
    Or he could be another Nicolic(sp?)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 04:26:57 PM »