Author Topic: Holy Cow  (Read 2084 times)

Online svherd

Re: Holy Cow
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have to agree. George is a very good player and getting better everyday. But Cam has the skill set and has tremendous timing blocking shots. He is very thin but reggie Miller was pencil thin also and was bigtime in the NBA. Cam will be one of the best players to ever play here if he stays for 4 years, mark it down!!!

You prolly don't remember Stitch Moore from Furman. The dude was a string bean but he was very good, a constant thorn in our side back in the SC days.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I want to clarify my earlier comments, because I really like all of our newcomers.  I think we are stacked for the future.  I am in agreement that the sky is the limit for both Brooks Harris and Kinsey.  I also think Bennett is going to be a solid contributor for us when its all said and done.  He just needs to lose a few more pounds.

I just don't see whose minutes your going to cut for Kinsey at guard?  Possibly Watson, but he is also really athletic and shoots the 3 much better than Kinsey.  I just don;t see where there are many minutes to be had.  Same thing for Brooks Harris.   He is a shooting guard/wing type of player and we pretty much play 3 guards.  Do you cut West minutes?  Williams minutes?  Darius George is only getting better.  He may not have the skill set of Brooks Harris, but he looks to be a really good player in his own right.  Beyers is going to play....you can't teach height, 6-10, with a stroke like his.

You really think Danny D is going to play 12 people?  You can see how it affects the flow and ebb of the game.  Redshirt them. 

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 02:05:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I want to clarify my earlier comments, because I really like all of our newcomers.  I think we are stacked for the future.  I am in agreement that the sky is the limit for both Brooks Harris and Kinsey.  I also think Bennett is going to be a solid contributor for us when its all said and done.  He just needs to lose a few more pounds.

I just don't see whose minutes your going to cut for Kinsey at guard?  Possibly Watson, but he is also really athletic and shoots the 3 much better than Kinsey.  I just don;t see where there are many minutes to be had.  Same thing for Brooks Harris.   He is a shooting guard/wing type of player and we pretty much play 3 guards.  Do you cut West minutes?  Williams minutes?  Darius George is only getting better.  He may not have the skill set of Brooks Harris, but he looks to be a really good player in his own right.  Beyers is going to play....you can't teach height, 6-10, with a stroke like his.

You really think Danny D is going to play 12 people?  You can see how it affects the flow and ebb of the game.  Redshirt them.

Exactly. That is why he is looking at red shirting 2
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think Danny is going to play a lot of small ball. Most teams we play don't have big bulky bodies. Yes I think west may lose a few minutes. I think there are times we won't have Sustic or Bennett in the lineup. Im eating my words, but right now Bennett is not moving well enough to be where he needs to be. He can't go up and get the alleyoop off the pick and roll and is not laterally quick enough on D. I think if he can lose at least 30 if not 40 more pounds he can be REALLY GOOD!!!! If he gets there we are set. If not we will be playing a lot of small ball when we can IMO. I really think most of the time Beyers, Williams and George will be the inside guys unless we are playing bigger teams.
    « Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 02:46:06 PM by herdorbust »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't realize, but Cam was Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association first-team and Kinsey was second team.

Kinsey actually made first team all-state as a junior averaging about 16 PPG, but dropped to the second team as a senior despite scoring more points at 19.5 PPG.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Harris is twice the player George is, only thing George has on him is he is thicker.

I haven't watched Harris but he better have a high motor and physically/mentally tough if he wants to be compared to George.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Danny is going to play a lot of small ball. Most teams we play don't have big bulky bodies. Yes I think west may lose a few minutes. I think there are times we won't have Sustic or Bennett in the lineup. Im eating my words, but right now Bennett is not moving well enough to be where he needs to be. He can't go up and get the alleyoop off the pick and roll and is not laterally quick enough on D. I think if he can lose at least 30 if not 40 more pounds he can be REALLY GOOD!!!! If he gets there we are set. If not we will be playing a lot of small ball when we can IMO. I really think most of the time Beyers, Williams and George will be the inside guys unless we are playing bigger teams.

Like I posted a couple of times, I think we should play 10. We should have a dedicated press and trap squad spearheaded by Kinsey, Cam, and Watson. The other 2 can vary, but at least 1 big. I was thinking DG. You give that squad 2-3 minutes at about 7 minutes into each half and again at 13-15 into each half. That cuts Jon and CJ's minutes to about 32 per game which, to me, seems ideal. They won't like it but they will be fresher and more energetic on D. Sustic appears he can add value, but I see him as the 11th man because of lack of available minutes.

With us pressing after a timeout or made basket, and trapping in the half court for those 8+ minutes of pure hell for the opponents - it should swing the balance in our favor if the entire game is otherwise equal and could be seen as a chess match. Wear the other guys down.

Those John Wooden UCLA teams of 1960's and 70's ... if you go back and analyze many of the games it was the UCLA press that was the difference. The scoring was typically basically equal when UCLA wasn't pressing. He didn't always have an Alcindor / Jabbar or the big redhead. He won a national championship with Steve Patterson in post. The story goes with Patterson back as Last Man on the press the latter never went for a steal unless he could pull it off.

West should give up minutes because Williams and Beyers are really going to be needed. So you take minutes from West and distribute them among IB, DG, Watson, Kinsey and Cam.

Should only RS among Dillon, Thomas, and Murphy. Just my 2 cents.
    « Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:05:34 PM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't watched Harris but he better have a high motor and physically/mentally tough if he wants to be compared to George.

I am super high on George. But Cam is more skilled and can handle it much better than George. Cam can be that Point Forward type Danny likes bringing the ball up the floor at times.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 10:50:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IMO at least.....Watson will definitely lose minutes, Thieneman & Thomas will basically not play (except for absolute runaway games) and Murphy will probably redshirt (although I think he is "a player" and needs minutes to show how good he can be. Bennett will not see "a lot" of playing time his first year here (because of Williams, Sustic & hopefully Beyers). It seems like we should have a very exciting, successful season this year.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 11:19:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty sure Murphy redshirted last year.  Can't redshirt him two years in a row.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 06:33:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty sure Murphy redshirted last year.  Can't redshirt him two years in a row.
    No, last year was a transfer year from Alderson Boarddus
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 07:17:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, last year was a transfer year from Alderson Boarddus

If he sat out last year as a transfer, then it would have the same effect as a red shirt year. Unless things have changed (seems like everything changes every year any more) sitting out a year as a transfer and sitting out as a red shirt burns one of the five years athletes have to play.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 07:17:11 AM »

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 07:20:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am super high on George. But Cam is more skilled and can handle it much better than George. Cam can be that Point Forward type Danny likes bringing the ball up the floor at times.
    That is impressive.

Offline JReese

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everybody slow your roll on the Beyers kid. As far as i know, he hasn't officially enrolled. Does anyone happen to remember the name Levi Cook ????? lol
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:54:29 AM by JReese »
    All I have ever truly wanted to be was a great dad.

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 11:55:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everybody slow your roll on the Beyers kid. As far as i know, he hasn't officially enrolled. Does anyone happen to remember the name Levi Cook ????? lol

Not too worried yet. With MD being the HC coach of his beloved Rockets ... I would be surprised if Beyers goes AWOL at the last minute.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 04:48:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not too worried yet. With MD being the HC coach of his beloved Rockets ... I would be surprised if Beyers goes AWOL at the last minute.

Beyers loves it here and said he would be ready when he has to enroll at Marshall. We talked for a while at practice about a week ago. I said, what is it like having the Houston rockets sitting over there watching practice? He just grinned and said....That is awesome. He can't wait to get on the court with the guys. Him and Jannson will be raining 3's from  6'10" and 6'9 shooters.  Gonna be hard to stop those two gunslingers LOL!!!

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, herdfan129, JReese

Offline coalherd

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I believe this is move in week at MU.  Classes don't start till end of the week or perhaps next Monday.  So I guess he can enroll at any time until classes start or perhaps up to a week later.

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You prolly don't remember Stitch Moore from Furman. The dude was a string bean but he was very good, a constant thorn in our side back in the SC days.
    [/quote

Stitch Moore was a very good player with good rebounding skills and could score inside and out up to 17-18 feet, but don't forget the other post player that played beside him at 6-7 or 6-8 and hit 250-255 pounds(I think his name was something like Rich McMillian or something like that. Also that Furman team was talented and at that time in the NC holiday tournament they were the only team(non conference)  to ever beat UNC and NS St. back to back in tourney history to capture the Championship of that tourney.Big post player pounded UNC starters' post men and their blue team(subs). Dean Smith always subbed the blue team five minutes into the game. Also they had the 6-2 guard transfer from Indiana, left handed shooter named "Hollywood" Bruce Grimm. When the Herd upset them at the Fieldhouse that year "Hollywood" had rabbit ears and he concentrated more at yelling at the fans on his case than his shooting; I think he's shooting at one point was like 2 for 18-- anyway some terrible pct. as he came in with a high FG pct and second in scoring behind Stitch.   
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »