Author Topic: The Elmore Show!  (Read 2064 times)

Offline saherdfan

Re: The Elmore Show!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 11:42:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IMO, Bennetts biggest issue except for the weight is he seems to have no idea of how to use his body on inside.....he blocks out at times but doesn't bend his legs to be able to spring for rebounds...not sure if he even got one.  He sets good picks outside but he doesn't lean in or attack rim inside.  He has a smooth set of hands but uses them more like a guard than a guy with size.  He is not a Center and shouldn't be playing center but I think he could still be a good PF once he learns how to use his body/size more effectively. First thing I would say is "psst. you're not a guard...dunk the damn ball". Sustic seems to be struggling a little to adjust to the pace.

That other team today was talented enough to win some games in CUSA...very quick, play together for most part, and has guys that can make shots.  Honestly, they made Marshall look slow for a good part of the game and had little trouble breaking press/pressure.  No way MU wins without Elmore. They looked like they have played together for awhile.  We had like 5-6 guys who have never played D1 bb as a unit until this trip.  Saw good things from all the new guys.  Dillion, Harris, and Tinsley all look pretty poised. We need to rebound the ball much better as a team...hopefully Beyers will help that.  DD will have them jelling at right time, but without Peneva in middle I hope people aren't expecting miracles.  A lot had to go right to get to NCAA's and win last year. With Elmore and Burks etc we'll have a chance most nights but I don't think we'll be a dominant team with tons of blowout wins...certainly not in first half of season.
    The entire team was a step behind on the press.  Lots of opportunity to trap when the offensive players had their backs turned.  WVU does this really good.  Penava's transformation is evidence of what DD can do.  I would have never thought Penava would have been as good as he was last year when he came to mu.  I believe in DD.  Bottom line.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 11:42:34 PM »

Offline Herdski

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Rookie
    • GKI Member Since 08/2011
    « Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 12:10:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Several comments have said that the Providence team was not much.  They evidently were good enough to beat the North Carolina Tarheels in the last few days.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, chris88, The E-Man

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 06:40:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I’m thinking people are trying to find too much meaning where there isn’t any. People are looking at these three games and trying to decide what it tells about the coming season. That’s a natural reaction, but a waste of time.

We were told all summer this trip was for fun. The statistics from the games and the statistics from last year demonstrate how little these three games teach us. The most minutes played by anyone was CJ at 24 minutes, and that number is skewed by the fact he didn’t play the first game, which means his average was 16 minutes for three games. John played an average of 22 minutes. Last year Elmore averaged 38.3 minutes per game and CJ averaged 35.9. Players who will see few games and few minutes total come the real season averaged double digit minutes in the Bahamas.

By conference time we will have a starting rotation and those five will be getting 30+ minutes each and will be playing the majority of those many minutes as a well-rehearsed unit. Last week the starters often were playing in groups they’ll never see again. The last week has been fun to watch, but it isn’t a preview of what we’re going to watch in January. It was a fun summer week, don’t try to over analyze it for something it isn’t.
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:52:43 AM by wasbarryb »

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, CoachSkip

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 06:56:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I’m thinking people are trying to find too much meaning where there isn’t any. People are looking at these three games and trying to decide what it tells about the coming season. That’s a natural reaction, but a waste of time.

We were told all summer this trip was for fun. The statistics from the games and the statistics from last year demonstrate how little these three games teach us. The most minutes played by anyone was CJ at 24 minutes, and that number is skewed by the fact he didn’t play the first game, which means his average was 16 minutes for three games. John played an average of 22 minutes. Last year Elmore averaged 38.3 minutes per game and CJ averaged 35.9. Players who will see few games and few minutes total come the real season averaged double digit minutes in the Bahamas.

By conference time we will have a starting rotation and those five will be getting 30+ minutes each and will be playing the majority of those many minutes as a well-rehearsed unit. Last week the starters often were playing in groups they’ll never see again. The last week has been fun to watch, but it isn’t a preview of what we’re going to watch in January. It was a fun summer week, don’t try to over analyze it for something it isn’t.

This is about right . It was fun to be seeing the Herd play bball in August but they were just glorified practices .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2018, 07:10:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • IMO - we depended WAY too much on Elmore to win a game against a glorified YMCA team - I know this wasn't a real game and is more of a bonding trip but when Jon was out - we were not good against a team that is not NCAA level by any means. 

You mean the glorified YMCA team that beat North Carolina Tarheels a week ago or so?
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline HerdFanJ

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 07:39:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You mean the glorified YMCA team that beat North Carolina Tarheels a week ago or so?

Unless I missed something that was in 2014:
    https://goheels.com/news/2014/8/16/209610169.aspx

They were not a good team by NCAA standards and IMO are the equivalent to a glorified YMCA team
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:45:16 AM by HerdFanJ »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2018, 07:51:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Beyers gets eligible(two week class) and is near what has been posted I doubt we get beat by double digits all yr long.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 08:10:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Several comments have said that the Providence team was not much.  They evidently were good enough to beat the North Carolina Tarheels in the last few days.

They did not beat unc. That was 2014.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 08:12:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unless I missed something that was in 2014:
    https://goheels.com/news/2014/8/16/209610169.aspx

They were not a good team by NCAA standards and IMO are the equivalent to a glorified YMCA team

I and others overlooked that. Regardless, they were very athletic and by far the best team we played over there. This trips was a HUGE success. Danny got exactly what he wanted. A chance to see different rotations and for the kids to have a great bonding experience. Also 10 additional practices before leaving. They never touched a basketball except for the games.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: HerdFanJ, parshall2marshall, chris88, The E-Man, CoachSkip

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 08:16:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is the link to the scores and the schedule of games.

http://bbfn.web.geniussports.com/competitions/?cu=BBFN/schedule

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 08:16:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I agree with everything you said except one concern. Who will replace peneva? We are not better at that spot, not even close. Will we be good yes. Will we be as good as last year? That is the question. We have more depth for sure. But that spot is a big concern for me. Hopefully someone steps up in the next few months.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 08:21:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Beyers gets eligible(two week class) and is near what has been posted I doubt we get beat by double digits all yr long.

I know beyers can flat out shoot it. But i want to see more ... like how does he flow with the team? Can he play defense? Does he really run the pick and roll well? Im positive about him shooting the ball, but will wait till practice starts uo before i decide on the rest.

The following users thanked this post: herdfifteen

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 08:21:30 AM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • first posters after his try out said he also leaps well. I agree we need something in addition to Williams, Sustic and Bennett.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The thing that stood out to me most about IB was his posture when not in the middle of action (hands to his side, shoulders slumped). It was almost like he didn't really want to be out there, but maybe it was just a confidence issue.

To me Sustic shows promise and I believe will be getting solid minutes eventually. He looks far more confident and aggressive, albeit a bit lost or behind. I also thought he moved well. Many guys his size tend to be a bit clumsy and he looked in control and quick for his frame. He will get in time and I believe we will all be surprised by him by conference play.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • first posters after his try out said he also leaps well. I agree we need something in addition to Williams, Sustic and Bennett.
    [/quote

I was at that practice when he worked out with the team. Like I said, he can really shoot it and that is not debateable. But I want to see how he plays defense and how aggressive he is going to the boards and toughness. That is where I want to see more.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The thing that stood out to me most about IB was his posture when not in the middle of action (hands to his side, shoulders slumped). It was almost like he didn't really want to be out there, but maybe it was just a confidence issue.

To me Sustic shows promise and I believe will be getting solid minutes eventually. He looks far more confident and aggressive, albeit a bit lost or behind. I also thought he moved well. Many guys his size tend to be a bit clumsy and he looked in control and quick for his frame. He will get in time and I believe we will all be surprised by him by conference play.

I really hope this happens. And I think it very well could. Sustic is very coachable and takes everything in. He is always asking Danny for instruction and wants to learn and get better. He has some tools and he should develope under Danny. Danny's biggest job IMO is going to be getting Beyers, Sustic and Bennett playing at their peek. We know what the rest of the team can do. But those 3 will determine just how good this team can be and if we go back to the NCAA tournament IMO. Because WKU is loaded and will have a big man that can flat out play and the guards to get him the ball. And ODU also is going to be a handful with their guards back, the best Stith brother and a very big 7' transfer from LSU.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why is everyone still sugar coating IB like he is going to contribute solid minutes this year? Shoot, some of you keep mentioning him as a starter.

Look, I like the kid, he seems like a really good kid (all of DD's guys are) AND I'm sure he will be good and contribute for us in another year or so BUT......

The guy is not even an average D2 player at this point. Go back and watch him and only him while he is in the game. Very lazy, doesn't box out, doesn't attack the boards. Please tell me what he brings to the table? Seriously just go back and watch him when someone shoots the ball. It's like he has cement in his shoes and he just stands there and watches the ball to see if it goes in or not.

He is NO WHERE near ready to contribute on an NCAA tournament team. Sorry, but that's just the cold hard truth right now.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, Always THE HERD, The E-Man, Ninegate

Offline Ninegate

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 07:56:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why is everyone still sugar coating IB like he is going to contribute solid minutes this year? Shoot, some of you keep mentioning him as a starter.

Look, I like the kid, he seems like a really good kid (all of DD's guys are) AND I'm sure he will be good and contribute for us in another year or so BUT......

The guy is not even an average D2 player at this point. Go back and watch him and only him while he is in the game. Very lazy, doesn't box out, doesn't attack the boards. Please tell me what he brings to the table? Seriously just go back and watch him when someone shoots the ball. It's like he has cement in his shoes and he just stands there and watches the ball to see if it goes in or not.

He is NO WHERE near ready to contribute on an NCAA tournament team. Sorry, but that's just the cold hard truth right now.

Good post. There is a lot of information coming from practice that needs a filter. IB and Cook were being referred to as the twin towers of doom several months ago. Cooks is gone and IB needs a lot of work. Baby Shaq? This team will do well in CUSA, but WKU will also do well. Everything this club does is a not a HUGE success. I caution people to temper their expectations.....I live to far away to go to practice, but have talked to others that have gone,
    andhave a different perspective. It is one of the better teams MU has had in a long time. Unstoppable by anybody...No....win CUSA and move on from that. Great chance.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, parshall2marshall, JReese

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good post. There is a lot of information coming from practice that needs a filter. IB and Cook were being referred to as the twin towers of doom several months ago. Cooks is gone and IB needs a lot of work. Baby Shaq? This team will do well in CUSA, but WKU will also do well. Everything this club does is a not a HUGE success. I caution people to temper their expectations.....I live to far away to go to practice, but have talked to others that have gone,
    andhave a different perspective. It is one of the better teams MU has had in a long time. Unstoppable by anybody...No....win CUSA and move on from that. Great chance.

I am cautiously optomistic. I honestly thought even losing peneva, we would have an upgrade at the 5 spot. Obviously having the entire team back with the added depth we are going to be very good. But unless someone steps up and we get that 5 spot figured out, we wont be a special cinderella type team imo. Like i said, bennett can be a very good player if he sheds another 50 lbs. but i find it very puzzling how slow he loses the weight. If you are watching what you eat and do the cardio they do, the First 50 lbs should fall off quick because the first is the easiest. I just hope he wants it bad-enough. He can be very good if he does.

Offline REL70

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2018, 09:30:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It’s August, everybody relax. I quit doubting Dan a few years ago and each basketball season has been better then the previous one.  Are we going to lose some games, yes. People were hitting the panic button last year around Jan or Feb when we lost some games. Enjoy the ride. Can’t wait for Sept 26th.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, JReese

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is still too early to make final judgments on this team and on individual players. Player development is so necessary at the mid-major level because you generally don't land the one-and-done or two-and-done recruits that sign with the big name schools. The apparel companies make certain of that. Fortunately, Marshall is really good right now at player development, largely for two reasons. One, we have excellent coaches who display this skill. And two, we recruit players with the innate ability to work and learn.

Anyone who saw Penava (a third year player) struggle horribly early last season at Morehead knows it is folly to evaluate a young "big" like Bennett this early in his career, especially coming off a year of inactivity and with no college experience. As long as Iran stays healthy, he will improve. Let's not expect him to be Shaq right out of the gate! Be patient and enjoy watching this student athlete develop over the course of this year. I have no doubt he will be a factor on this team

How did our "bigs" do overall in the Bahamas? Well, George led the way with 33 points and 15 rebounds in 47 minutes. Bennett scored 23 points and snagged 12 rebounds in 52 minutes. Jannson has 9 points and 14 rebounds in 52 minutes. And Sustic put in 8 points and grabbed 9 rebounds in 20 minutes. We just need these guys to keep working, and for a couple of them to master the timing and nuance of the pick-and-roll that is so central to our offense.

Not surprisingly, Elmore led the team in scoring (72 points), assists (16) and shot 13-24 from three. Not a bad week at the beach for Jonny Buckets.

Rondale Watson was our leading rebounder with 18, followed closely by freshman Cam Brooks-Harris with 17. Brooks-Harris also led the team in blocks with 3. That's one less than Penava averaged in a single game, which should tell you one area in which this team will differ markedly from last season's. But for a newcomer, Cam displayed a great combination of athleticism and skill that will likely spare him the "redshirt" year that some so earnestly beg for.

Freshman Taveion Kinsey was our second leading scorer (39 points) and third leading assist man with 10. He too displayed an exciting talent level that will make it unlikely he will sit for an entire season. I really like Dillon as well (12 points, 8 rebounds), but he may be the guy who redshirts.

Jared West was Mr. All-Around, playing the most minutes (68), and tallying 35 points, 16 rebounds, 14 assists, and 12 steals. This young man's toughness and will to win keeps him in the lineup a lot in 2018-2019. He looks stronger both physically and mentally this year, and showed no fear in taking the ball to the bucket when needed.

CJ was CJ in his two appearances. I think he can take another step forward this season if his ball handling continues to improve. He can be as good as he wants to be on any given night. He just needs to make that every night.

Unfortunately, Beyers did not get to join the team for the trip. He remains touted but is still a bit of an unknown quantity, especially since he mysteriously played only 9 minutes per game last season at his JUCO. Let's hope he can bring that Venice Beach League "showtime" to the Henderson Center in 2018-2019.

I'm pumped, how about you?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:44:00 PM by pembrook burrows III »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdFanJ, parshall2marshall, Collis P, chris88, The E-Man, JReese, REL70

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2018, 10:35:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think anyone is doubting DD, I know I'm not at least.

I'm just saying theres no way IB is a starter at this point.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2018, 10:35:02 PM »

Offline Herd72

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2018, 10:47:00 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  •     I think we will be OK but will be hard pressed to repeat last years success. My sleeper of the year is Sustic - he has a great attitude and will develop because he listens and tries to do what the coaches are teaching. He is not nearly as raw as Penava was before the "great leap forward." There is just something about that kid that tells me he is gonna come through at the right time for us.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HoPPy785, herdorbust

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2018, 06:53:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Unless something changes, Danny has said he plans to start Iran, along with Jannson, Jon, CJ and West
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2018, 07:29:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know im not doubting DD. And we will be more than fine in 80% of our games. I thought this was the year we could play position for position with anyone and i mean anyone in the country. But we would still be in a major hurt playing a team with a very good bigman. Ill take jon, cj. West, williams, george, watson etc at their positions and they could hold their own. But we are still going to be doing a lot of help defense inside this year. And that position is taking a lot away from jon playmaking when he throws it up and they cant get it. I still think we can have a great season, but that spot is a weak link right now if someone doesnt step up a lot.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:42:27 AM by herdorbust »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2018, 07:29:22 AM »