Author Topic: The Elmore Show!  (Read 2058 times)

Offline HoPPy785

Re: The Elmore Show!
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know im not doubting DD. And we will be more than fine in 80% of our games. I thought this was the year we could play position for position with anyone and i mean anyone in the country. But we would still be in a major hurt playing a team with a very good bigman. Ill take jon, cj. West, williams, george, watson etc at their positions and they could hold their own. But we are still going to be doing a lot of help defense inside this year. And that position is taking a lot away from jon playmaking when he throws it up and they cant get it. I still think we can have a great season, but that spot is a weak link right now if someone doesnt step up a lot.

I'm sure Byers and Sustic can get off the floor for the oop, and we know Williams and George can. IB is much better offensively than Milan and he started, got decent minutes and we still won. I think we'll be just fine doing our pick and roll oops. Better without Penava, nope, but fine.

The following users thanked this post: REL70

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2018, 08:06:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm sure Byers and Sustic can get off the floor for the oop, and we know Williams and George can. IB is much better offensively than Milan and he started, got decent minutes and we still won. I think we'll be just fine doing our pick and roll oops. Better without Penava, nope, but fine.

That is my point and you said it we are not better without peneva at that position. Yes we can still be good and maybe get back to the dance. We are deeper this year, more athletic for sure. But when you play in the big time games virginia, maryland, texas am etc, that position becomes very important

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is still too early to make final judgments on this team and on individual players. Player development is so necessary at the mid-major level because you generally don't land the one-and-done or two-and-done recruits that sign with the big name schools. The apparel companies make certain of that. Fortunately, Marshall is really good right now at player development, largely for two reasons. One, we have excellent coaches who display this skill. And two, we recruit players with the innate ability to work and learn.

Anyone who saw Penava (a third year player) struggle horribly early last season at Morehead knows it is folly to evaluate a young "big" like Bennett this early in his career, especially coming off a year of inactivity and with no college experience. As long as Iran stays healthy, he will improve. Let's not expect him to be Shaq right out of the gate! Be patient and enjoy watching this student athlete develop over the course of this year. I have no doubt he will be a factor on this team

How did our "bigs" do overall in the Bahamas? Well, George led the way with 33 points and 15 rebounds in 47 minutes. Bennett scored 23 points and snagged 12 rebounds in 52 minutes. Jannson has 9 points and 14 rebounds in 52 minutes. And Sustic put in 8 points and grabbed 9 rebounds in 20 minutes. We just need these guys to keep working, and for a couple of them to master the timing and nuance of the pick-and-roll that is so central to our offense.

Not surprisingly, Elmore led the team in scoring (72 points), assists (16) and shot 13-24 from three. Not a bad week at the beach for Jonny Buckets.

Rondale Watson was our leading rebounder with 18, followed closely by freshman Cam Brooks-Harris with 17. Brooks-Harris also led the team in blocks with 3. That's one less than Penava averaged in a single game, which should tell you one area in which this team will differ markedly from last season's. But for a newcomer, Cam displayed a great combination of athleticism and skill that will likely spare him the "redshirt" year that some so earnestly beg for.

Freshman Taveion Kinsey was our second leading scorer (39 points) and third leading assist man with 10. He too displayed an exciting talent level that will make it unlikely he will sit for an entire season. I really like Dillon as well (12 points, 8 rebounds), but he may be the guy who redshirts.

Jared West was Mr. All-Around, playing the most minutes (68), and tallying 35 points, 16 rebounds, 14 assists, and 12 steals. This young man's toughness and will to win keeps him in the lineup a lot in 2018-2019. He looks stronger both physically and mentally this year, and showed no fear in taking the ball to the bucket when needed.

CJ was CJ in his two appearances. I think he can take another step forward this season if his ball handling continues to improve. He can be as good as he wants to be on any given night. He just needs to make that every night.

Unfortunately, Beyers did not get to join the team for the trip. He remains touted but is still a bit of an unknown quantity, especially since he mysteriously played only 9 minutes per game last season at his JUCO. Let's hope he can bring that Venice Beach League "showtime" to the Henderson Center in 2018-2019.

I'm pumped, how about you?

I know beyers told me, he played behind annolder player. He said he played 8 mins and avg 8 pts. Said they played slow halfcourt game.

Offline JReese

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2018, 10:48:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Turns out that John's 38 point effort was a total team strategy.  The other team has a player (#18) that has played or does play professional ball overseas. Jannson told us that he was talking trash and running his mouth the whole game..."Aint nobody going to outscore me !!!"

Well, that pissed off our boys. #18 scored 33 (I think) and our guys made sure John had the opportunities to score as much as he could.

They begin their journey back home at 11:00 and have a 3 hour layover here in Atlanta.

Safe travels, boys !!!
    All I have ever truly wanted to be was a great dad.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2018, 11:17:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan has improved every single season he has been here. I said it last year when people were losing it after Morehead. Ill say it again, i expect us to improve and get back to the NCAA again.

Secondly, our practice report guys need to be more objective. I really appreciate all you guys do, and reading the reports, but sometimes you all sell us a donkey as a thoroughbred.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan has improved every single season he has been here. I said it last year when people were losing it after Morehead. Ill say it again, i expect us to improve and get back to the NCAA again.

Secondly, our practice report guys need to be more objective. I really appreciate all you guys do, and reading the reports, but sometimes you all sell us a donkey as a thoroughbred.

I can guarantee you I won't be giving anymore practice reports.

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2018, 11:27:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Good stuff, JReese. I checked the scoring this team had in their win over North Carolina in 2014, and there are three players from that team still playing in 2018, and that doesn't include this #18 you mentioned. So the notion that this was just a glorified YMCA team is a bit over the top. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, JReese

Offline chris88

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2018, 11:32:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Turns out that John's 38 point effort was a total team strategy.  The other team has a player (#18) that has played or does play professional ball overseas. Jannson told us that he was talking trash and running his mouth the whole game..."Aint nobody going to outscore me !!!"

Well, that pissed off our boys. #18 scored 33 (I think) and our guys made sure John had the opportunities to score as much as he could.

They begin their journey back home at 11:00 and have a 3 hour layover here in Atlanta.

Safe travels, boys !!!

The guy they played against is Mark St Fort. And yes he scored 33 vs MU.  He graduated from NAIA school Werner in FL in 2013.  He is 29 yrs old and played pro basketball in Turkey this year averaging 9 ppg. That was the Storms first game of this summer league....although it looks as if players may play on different teams throughout the summer league.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, JReese

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The guy they played against is Mark St Fort. And yes he scored 33 vs MU.  He graduated from NAIA school Werner in FL in 2013.  He is 29 yrs old and played pro basketball in Turkey this year averaging 9 ppg. That was the Storms first game of this summer league....although it looks as if players may play on different teams throughout the summer league.

They play Grand Canyon on the 20th I believe. That will give us a better idea. I know last year Penn St beat Providence Storm 112-63.

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #59 on: August 17, 2018, 12:14:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I can guarantee you I won't be giving anymore practice reports.

Out of towners need the reports man. Please keep posting them

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, HerdHead, parshall2marshall, Herd2believe, REL70

Offline REL70

« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Bust, don’t let a few guys ruin it for the rest of us. I go to practice when I can, but when I don’t go I always look forward to reading your and others practice reports. Bennett is going to be fine. More work and confidence and he will take off.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Unless something changes, Danny has said he plans to start Iran, along with Jannson, Jon, CJ and West

Well that stinks to hear....talk about reigning in my expectations.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm sure Byers and Sustic can get off the floor for the oop, and we know Williams and George can. IB is much better offensively than Milan and he started, got decent minutes and we still won. I think we'll be just fine doing our pick and roll oops. Better without Penava, nope, but fine.

In what ways is he better than Mijovich? Other than being 6'10'' 350 pounds..... Mijovich actually tried to get rebounds and Bennet just watched in all 3 games.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

BOOOOOOOO....I still like the practice reports lol

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• In what ways is he better than Mijovich? Other than being 6'10'' 350 pounds..... Mijovich actually tried to get rebounds and Bennet just watched in all 3 games.

Milan was a great team player and hustler but was not an offensive threat. I specifically said IB is better offensively, not necessarily all around. He has better hands and finesse to finish around the rim.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2018, 01:38:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Out of towners need the reports man. Please keep posting them

Go Herd!

I just don't want to give false expectations. I will admit, I got caught up in the hype myself just watching drills mainly. When its live action against someone else it makes a big difference. I still say IB can be a VERY good player if he gets down to around 290-300. He has soft hands and moves well for a guys his size. But his weight is keeping him from being the player he can become. I really hope he can get it down to the range because he can be scary good if he does. But even at 320-330 isn't going to allow him to reach his potential. I'm pulling for him to get there because he is an extremely nice young man!!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, JReese

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #66 on: August 17, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I just don't want to give false expectations. I will admit, I got caught up in the hype myself just watching drills mainly. When its live action against someone else it makes a big difference. I still say IB can be a VERY good player if he gets down to around 290-300. He has soft hands and moves well for a guys his size. But his weight is keeping him from being the player he can become. I really hope he can get it down to the range because he can be scary good if he does. But even at 320-330 isn't going to allow him to reach his potential. I'm pulling for him to get there because he is an extremely nice young man!!!!

You guys were right last year, so trust your eyes haha. With DD as our coach I fully expect us to challenge for another trip to the Dance, baby

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, JReese, REL70

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2018, 03:18:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Elmore was 13-16 on FG's which is not ball hogging.  That's great shooting.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2018, 03:20:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bennett could play football in Fall.  He starts at all in football he's getting into an NFL camp.  Put football pads and a helmet on him and get him out in the Huntington heat working out.  He will drop weight fast.

Online herd2win

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Practice reports are fine just need a more objective view....every player cannot be the next Michael Jordan...Dan is doing a good job developing players so I expect the majority of his recruits to be second year contributors more so than be talented enough to have an impact year 1.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2018, 04:22:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Practice reports are fine just need a more objective view....every player cannot be the next Michael Jordan...Dan is doing a good job developing players so I expect the majority of his recruits to be second year contributors more so than be talented enough to have an impact year 1.

I might have been the first to be objective about IB after watching him play. What would you rather do be objective or tell a lie to your eyes? lol.. What's wrong with having a true real assessment of a player? I think IB will develop as a solid player for us as the year progresses. Don't expect IB to replace Penava, in fact, Ajdin will be hard to be replaced.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, Flat Tire 2, CoachSkip, herdorbust

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bennett could play football in Fall.  He starts at all in football he's getting into an NFL camp.  Put football pads and a helmet on him and get him out in the Huntington heat working out.  He will drop weight fast.

The thing that impressed me was not only the treys but the off-balance and fades that mostly all caught the bottom of the barrel. That was some shooting performance !

Really appreciate the inside info on the trash-talking by St. Fort.

I don't understand all the criticism of IB. We played against some very quick jits all 3 games and IB didn't seem to get that many touches. Maybe some are saying he should have gotten to more loose rebounds but he often finished with flair. Agree on sky is limit for him at 290. I think he can get there, too.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: REL70

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2018, 09:55:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Don't feel like that, brother, just be more objective. Will make for some good reports going forward. A little constructive feedback is all. We do enjoy the reports.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline chris88

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2018, 11:08:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I too appreciate the practice reports.  People should keep in mind they are just relaying what they are seeing but that they are playing vs themselves and not another team in practice. Sounds like IB is better than Peneva was at this point in his career but they are different players. IB will never be a center/rim protector some of us were hoping.....although he could be very effective in his own way once he learns how to use his physicality is the right way. If he turns out to be a bigger version of Ryan Taylor I doubt anyone will complain.

That being said we need a rim protector and hopefully Byers can be that with some help from Sustic….and hopefully both will be less foul prown that Peneva was.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man, overherd1, REL70

HerdFans.com

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2018, 11:08:17 PM »