Author Topic: Thom Brenaman  (Read 748 times)

Offline GoHERDPT

Thom Brenaman
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a lot of people watching the Reds this time of year but Thom just spent a few minutes talking about Reggie Oliver and sending thoughts and prayers to Huntington and Marshall. Thanks Thom

HerdFans.com

Thom Brenaman
    « on: August 15, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »

Offline The E-Man

Re: Thom Brenaman
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:30:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a lot of people watching the Reds this time of year but Thom just spent a few minutes talking about Reggie Oliver and sending thoughts and prayers to Huntington and Marshall. Thanks Thom

I heard that as well. Marty and Tom Brennaman are a class act! Marty loves Huntington, and Marshall. Huntington use to be one of the Reds top fan following outside of Cincy.

The following users thanked this post: luvherd, parshall2marshall, LUVTHATHERD

Offline coalherd

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:38:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I heard that as well. Marty and Tom Brennaman are a class act! Marty loves Huntington, and Marshall. Huntington use to be one of the Reds top fan following outside of Cincy.

Got to love Marty, E-Man, for no other reason than the way he totally went off on the MU administration, particularly the president, over a decade ago about the status of our baseball "facility" and the fact that we were building a softball facility. 

Of course, we all know now, a decade or so later, that Hizzoner the Mayor and Mike Hamrick "have a plan"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:41:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Got to love Marty, E-Man, for no other reason than the way he totally went off on the MU administration, particularly the president, over a decade ago about the status of our baseball "facility" and the fact that we were building a softball facility. 

Of course, we all know now, a decade or so later, that Hizzoner the Mayor and Mike Hamrick "have a plan"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you blame Marty? after he came here to give his support and announce that a baseball stadium was going to be built. I don't blame Brennaman for being pissed!
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:22:09 PM by The E-Man »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, coalherd

Online chris88

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:31:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Both Mary and Thom are terrific announcers and neither is afraid to speak their mind.  At one point Marty had a riff with Griffey Jr and told Griffey "I was here before you showed up and i'll be here after you're gone".  When Mike Brown was threatening to take the Bengals out of town if he didn't get all the things he wanted with stadium deal, Marty on multiple occasions ripped Brown and said Cincinnati should let him go...then the city would get another team and a real owner. You have to live here to really appreciate their humor, professionalism, and willingness to offer opinions.

Glad they discussed Oliver.  I also saw a tweet today from the guy who played him in the WAM movie about how great Reggie was and how he was blessed to know him and be able to play him. Prayers for his family and all who knew him.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline pdunn

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 01:14:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I heard it this evening as well, before  watching the Reds blow the game against the Indians in the bottom of the ninth>:(.

He's mentioned Marshall several times over the last few years.  I remember when they had Straily up there they ran a graphic showing all the Herd players that have been in the Reds system over time, more than I realized.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I heard it this evening as well, before  watching the Reds blow the game against the Indians in the bottom of the ninth>:(.

He's mentioned Marshall several times over the last few years.  I remember when they had Straily up there they ran a graphic showing all the Herd players that have been in the Reds system over time, more than I realized.

Yep, pdunn, I enjoyed watching the Reds more when Straily was there. 

Was POed when the Reds sent him to Miami, even though the bandbox that is GABP is not a "pitchers park".  However, unfortunately for Dan, ever since he's been in Miami, the new ownership led by Derek Jeter has done nothing but have an ongoing fire sale, getting rid of essentially all of the Marlins field position talent.  Hopefully Dan might latch on somewhere else in MLB in 2019, although he has had a very so-so season this year.

Offline pdunn

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 01:41:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, pdunn, I enjoyed watching the Reds more when Straily was there. 

Was POed when the Reds sent him to Miami, even though the bandbox that is GABP is not a "pitchers park".  However, unfortunately for Dan, ever since he's been in Miami, the new ownership led by Derek Jeter has done nothing but have an ongoing fire sale, getting rid of essentially all of the Marlins field position talent.  Hopefully Dan might latch on somewhere else in MLB in 2019, although he has had a very so-so season this year.

Straily is a serviceable MLB pitcher, not great but decent  Probably better as a long reliever and spot starter than a regular rotation guy, IMO.  His best season was the one he had with the Reds in 2016, and at that time he was a pretty good pitcher for a season anyway.  As for his season this year, think about the team he's playing with, a team that is just as bad or probably worse than the Reds this year, and that's saying something. 

The Reds never should have traded him, despite his being a fly ball pitcher in a home run hitter's park.  Two years ago he was the "ace" of their staff (not saying much considering what else they had); I guess they wanted to trade him while he was hot.  I think they got Castillo for him.  The only decent starter they got right now is Descalfani, IMO, maybe Harvey, but he's out of there come winter.  They needed starting pitching and still do.  He could have been a piece of their puzzle, right now he'd probably be the number two or three guy in the rotation.  Bad decision.

But hey, remember Alfredo Simon? He had a good first have a few years ago, Reds traded him at the deadline, he was out of baseball by the next year because he completely disintegrated, so of course the Reds signed him again and he lasted about six weeks I think.  Maybe soon they'll get Straily back too ;D.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 08:09:48 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I met him at an alumni gathering in Sarasota. I wondered at first why the Reds announcer would be at an MU event. Then in conversation with him realized he really liked MU.  Got an autograph and was pleased to have met him. good guy.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 08:56:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Straily is a serviceable MLB pitcher, not great but decent  Probably better as a long reliever and spot starter than a regular rotation guy, IMO.  His best season was the one he had with the Reds in 2016, and at that time he was a pretty good pitcher for a season anyway.  As for his season this year, think about the team he's playing with, a team that is just as bad or probably worse than the Reds this year, and that's saying something. 

The Reds never should have traded him, despite his being a fly ball pitcher in a home run hitter's park.  Two years ago he was the "ace" of their staff (not saying much considering what else they had); I guess they wanted to trade him while he was hot.  I think they got Castillo for him.  The only decent starter they got right now is Descalfani, IMO, maybe Harvey, but he's out of there come winter.  They needed starting pitching and still do.  He could have been a piece of their puzzle, right now he'd probably be the number two or three guy in the rotation.  Bad decision.

But hey, remember Alfredo Simon? He had a good first have a few years ago, Reds traded him at the deadline, he was out of baseball by the next year because he completely disintegrated, so of course the Reds signed him again and he lasted about six weeks I think.  Maybe soon they'll get Straily back too ;D.

Sounds like another frustrated Reds fan.  I'm afraid they are in the middle of a long, multi year rebuild; seemingly a perpetual 'rebuild".  Jettisoned many of their established players and got, in most instances, little in return.  Have already dumped Duval, one of their legit "power" hitters, this season.  Votto is now showing his age and starting to be more injury prone.  Little or no power remaining in the every day line up to take advantage of their home "hitters park".  But, of course, listening to their management, and their TV people, reading the "party line" they have "can't miss" players just ready to pop on the major league scene right down the road at AAA Louisville!!! Still agree that Straily had a pretty good year in 2016 there and hope he can get out of the Miami mess.  Don't know if coming back to Cincy would be any better, however.

The following users thanked this post: pdunn, The E-Man

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 03:57:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sounds like another frustrated Reds fan.  I'm afraid they are in the middle of a long, multi year rebuild; seemingly a perpetual 'rebuild".  Jettisoned many of their established players and got, in most instances, little in return.  Have already dumped Duval, one of their legit "power" hitters, this season.  Votto is now showing his age and starting to be more injury prone.  Little or no power remaining in the every day line up to take advantage of their home "hitters park".  But, of course, listening to their management, and their TV people, reading the "party line" they have "can't miss" players just ready to pop on the major league scene right down the road at AAA Louisville!!! Still agree that Straily had a pretty good year in 2016 there and hope he can get out of the Miami mess.  Don't know if coming back to Cincy would be any better, however.

Yep, call me a frustrated Reds fan but I read in the Cincinnati Enquirer where the Reds did shake up their front office and scouting department.  At least it is a start of what they really need to do.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man, coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 03:57:54 AM »