Author Topic: The REAL Alex Thomson / Isiah Green Dilemma.  (Read 2307 times)

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

The REAL Alex Thomson / Isiah Green Dilemma.
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • So everyone has said AT has missed this, missed that, wasn't here last year, and can't practice a full week...and you KNOW WHAT? EVERY - SINGLE - PRACTICE - REPORT where both AT and IG practice has either AT coming out way ahead or slightly ahead of IG...based on completions, turnovers, their overall performance, etc.

When the NFL scouts came out...they wanted to see a 70% AT throw to Brady...not a 100% IG throw to Brady. What does that say?

The big Dilemma the coaching staff seams to have right now...is that a 60-70% new to the program AT is better than a 100% IG that's been in the system for a year...if this is true...than we have to go with AT. When he can't play, IG will have to step in...maybe we, reluctantly, have somewhat of a 2 QB system this year resting AT certain games/quarters (which IMO would be a great way to break in IG slowly - which is what you want to do with new QB's).   

So here's the deal...from what we know...either AT is the real deal...because he's out practicing IG at 60-70% or IG isn't ready yet...because he isn't practicing as good as the 60-70% healthy new guy (AT).

Usually, and coaches will tell you, what you do in practice translates to the games. So the better gamer at the moment looks like AT.

It's all about who gives us a better chance to win...and right now sadly, the injured guy who can only practice a few times a week...looks by all accounts at least slightly better than the healthy one. The big question is, what does that mean (see type in bold)?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:09:55 PM by THECHAMPISHERE »

HerdFans.com

The REAL Alex Thomson / Isiah Green Dilemma.
    « on: August 18, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »

Offline Bleed_Kelly_Green

Re: The REAL Alex Thomson / Isiah Green Dilemma.
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Valid points, but to be fair, when is the last time any NFL Scouts came to see a RS Soph thats never appeared in a game throw in practice?  My guess is never.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, herdfan129

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 01:22:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Valid points, but to be fair, when is the last time any NFL Scouts came to see a RS Soph thats never appeared in a game throw in practice?  My guess is never.

Exactly. Again, experience edge goes to AT.
    « Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:41:03 PM by THECHAMPISHERE »

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:43:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If it’s close then I don’t understand why we would play AT. Chances are he is going to give us one year and then if he is healthy jump pro. Leaving us to break in another new QB next year. I just want to play IG and let him take us lumps (like Cato) and have a solid QB for 3 years. Who knows, maybe IG becomes a freshman sensation.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 02:30:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I want the guy that gives us the best chance to beat Miami to start, if it is Green good, but if not,  he will have plenty of opportunities down the road to take his lumps.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, The E-Man

Offline goherd24

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is no question that a healthy, or even 80% AT is better than Green. Play AT if he can go and take a shot at bringing life back into the program. Fans are quitting the Herd left and right, currently. Another garbage season in CUSA, and we're in real trouble attendance and fanbase wise. We end up losing both p5 games and miami OH, that stadium is a ghost town all season.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

Online svherd

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yesterday was the first day of camp that AT went through 11v11 drills. And it was in shells.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Johns1124

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "When the NFL scouts came out...they wanted to see a 70% AT throw to Brady...not a 100% IG throw to Brady. What does that say?"

It's says that his old OC is now the QB coach of the 49ers. Gets him some (possibly) undue attention. The guy still has not played in any game
    for over 1 year. Finding him throwing a ball in a Game Situation (Not in HS, or in  a yellow jersey) is still hard to find. Seems to me he's made of
    glass and the first hit he's going to be down.

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 04:45:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you expect to play in the NFL, you better be able to stand in there and take a hit, get up and do it again.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Online 2xBison

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• we would have won at least the same # of cusa titles with Fro starting.
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:58:56 AM by 2xBison »
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Offline ed swain

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 05:24:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If AT is the starter I do not not see him finishing the season without being injured.I hope I am wrong !

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Johns1124, herdfan129

Online svherd

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is no question that a healthy, or even 80% AT is better than Green. Play AT if he can go and take a shot at bringing life back into the program. Fans are quitting the Herd left and right, currently. Another garbage season in CUSA, and we're in real trouble attendance and fanbase wise. We end up losing both p5 games and miami OH, that stadium is a ghost town all season.

An 80% AT better? How the heck can you make that determination? That’s like saying a 50% AT would be better than Chase. Hmmm... you might be on to something there.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 05:57:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He hasn't played in a D1 game or even practiced for a whole week yet, if not sure how anyone can say "he's the real deal" based on anything except hype...and that goes for NFL scouts as well.  Lots of guys have "NFL arms" that don't amount to anything.  There were people on hear constantly saying AJ Graham was the next Byron and Cato should have never started in front of him. To say an 80% AT is better than IG I would ask again...based on what?

There is no real dilemma.  If he is healthy and if he gives us the best chance to win he will play. If not he won't.  The rest is just conjecture and BS and it's really not fair to him or IG IMO.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, ed swain, herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think right now all he has is potential. He has been injured most of his career and hardly played for almost 2 years now. And he does seem injury prone. I just hope this position isn't screwed up. I just don't know how he could even be close to ready. He has only practiced a couple days and wasn't here in the spring. I just want the best guy that gives us a chance to win. If that is IG, then go with him for the next 4 years.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is no dilemma. IG is currently our starting QB and AT got hurt in warmups (throwing in nothing but helmet and shorts.)
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 10:16:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • An 80% AT better? How the heck can you make that determination? That’s like saying a 50% AT would be better than Chase. Hmmm... you might be on to something there.

Yeah, chase thats competing and probably will make an NFL roster as an UDFA. A talent people like you will sorely miss if AT can't go. people on Greens balls, like they were Graham over Cato, when i was screaming it at the top of my lungs. AT has plenty of experience, far more than Green, and his team absolutely sucked and he managed to throw for 2400 yards and 16 and 5, under constant pressure, with no talent around him. He has been on point in practice, better than Green. Clearly, people who make decisions and send scouts in the NFL, believe he is also talented. Yet, some reason, you believe Green is the answer when he competes with Morrell, who you also think is good.

Online svherd

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 11:08:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, chase thats competing and probably will make an NFL roster as an UDFA. A talent people like you will sorely miss if AT can't go. people on Greens balls, like they were Graham over Cato, when i was screaming it at the top of my lungs. AT has plenty of experience, far more than Green, and his team absolutely sucked and he managed to throw for 2400 yards and 16 and 5, under constant pressure, with no talent around him. He has been on point in practice, better than Green. Clearly, people who make decisions and send scouts in the NFL, believe he is also talented. Yet, some reason, you believe Green is the answer when he competes with Morrell, who you also think is good.

Green has looked very good according to everyone but you. He has also Participated in every drill and practice, unlike AT unfortunately. Morrell has a ways to go. Your boy Chase may make the practice squad. Good for him. Glad we have some new QB’s.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline mualum

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 01:50:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Green has looked very good according to everyone but you. He has also Participated in every drill and practice, unlike AT unfortunately. Morrell has a ways to go. Your boy Chase may make the practice squad. Good for him. Glad we have some new QB’s."

Yes, Green has looked good and keeps looking better.  But I was watching 11 on 11 during Friday's practice when AT unleashed 2 pinpoint passes downfield with a velocity we haven't seen since Leftwich, and that made everybody sit up and take notice because he really hadn't looked very good until the last couple days.  Even in routine pass exercises he didn't look particularly good and sometimes shook or rubbed his arm.  Then the last couple practices, boom.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 06:38:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This time, every year. Lather, rinse, repeat. It's only a couple of weeks. We'll know soon.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, kyherd05

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 07:26:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Green has looked very good according to everyone but you. He has also Participated in every drill and practice, unlike AT unfortunately. Morrell has a ways to go. Your boy Chase may make the practice squad. Good for him. Glad we have some new QB’s."

Yes, Green has looked good and keeps looking better.  But I was watching 11 on 11 during Friday's practice when AT unleashed 2 pinpoint passes downfield with a velocity we haven't seen since Leftwich, and that made everybody sit up and take notice because he really hadn't looked very good until the last couple days.  Even in routine pass exercises he didn't look particularly good and sometimes shook or rubbed his arm.  Then the last couple practices, boom.

But will he be able to do it for more than 2 plays at a time? 

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline herdgameplan

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 10:15:21 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Right now we have 3 QBs who we can win with because the team as a whole is loaded with Talent! How long has it been we can say that? All three can run but they do not have to and our new OC has depth at all positions. Miami is not going to believe what hit them but a Thundering Herd! What Gomer said ... Surprise Surprise!!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 10:27:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many practices have you watched goherd? I'm not trying to be a jerk either, just seriously would like to know as I agree with a lot of your posts. Didn't know if you were making these claims based on hype or things you have seen in person.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 10:27:15 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Right now we have 3 QBs who we can win with because the team as a whole is loaded with Talent! How long has it been we can say that? All three can run but they do not have to and our new OC has depth at all positions. Miami is not going to believe what hit them but a Thundering Herd! What Gomer said ... Surprise Surprise!!!

We can't just show up with any QB and win against our top 6 toughest games. Doesn't matter to me who wins the job. But they better be able to "lead" and produce consistently especially in big crucial situations. If not, teams will put 7-8 men in the box and stop the run. Nobody knows how this turns out because we have never seen either of these guys on the field in real games. All we can do is get behind whoever it is and cheer like crazy.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline Herdfan2005

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • My 2 cents.

Before I may get blasted I have been to damn near every practice this summer except the ones that have been moved to the IPF.

Green will probably be the starter for Miami.  He really looks comfortable in practices and in the 11v11
    Thomson is hard to tell.  Majority of the practices all he could do was hand the ball off.  Couldn't even throw with his right arm at all early in camp.  Granted he does have some game experience. 

I could see Cramsey going with a two QB system.   The Oline should be good enough to keep the QB up off the turf.  I have been watching tons of film of Cramseys Offense at Sam Houston last year and the QB gets the ball out of his hands quick.  Most of the time no longer than a 3 step drop. 

I for one would like to see Green get it just because he has practiced this entire time and has been getting 100% of reps with the 1st String.  JUST WIN!

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, HerdHead, parshall2marshall, ThunderValley, chris88, The E-Man, herdorbust

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One thing is for sure..if you have a questionable shoulder you can bet that every team we face will know about it.
    He has to be able to take a hit and some late hits as well. They will test him for sure..this is not practice

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:24 AM »