Author Topic: New Bball commit  (Read 3405 times)

Offline CoachSkip

Re: New Bball commit
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Theres some videos on YouTube of him . Its hard to tell from videos though , especially with overseas players.

How many scholarships will we have available after this season ? He may be worth the chance if we have enough .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He is who i wanted them ti sign more than anyone. St johns and boston college was interested also. He is going to be very good. Just wait and see.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Herdmeister, MicDrass1

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any word on the 6-10" kid from Montenegro ?

Marko will have an adjustment period for sure but basketball is basketball , if he has any talent at all , he'll catch on pretty quick.
    « Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:25:19 AM by CoachSkip »
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 08:42:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People still dont understand what dd is doing. We are almost never going to get the 4 or 5 star kid duke or kentucky gets. Danny has the program built to where he doesnt need a freshman to be all world. He is getting great skilled players that are thin. Marco, george,williams, peneva, harris are to name a few. Then after 15-20 pounds we have a really good bll player. Harris sitting out is good example. That kid can really play and has a ton of skill and is very active. Just needs to bulk. Marko has a ton of skill and danny loves him. Danny told me when peneva was a freshman how good he was going to be. And he was dead on.
    « Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:14:36 AM by herdorbust »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, 2xBison, Herd at Work, horsrman, HoPPy785, CoachSkip

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People still dont understand what dd is doing. We are almost never going to get the 4 or 5 star kid duke or kentucky gets. Danny has the program built to where he doesnt need a freshman to be all world. He is getting great skilled players that are thin. Marco, george,williams, peneva, harris are to name a few. Then after 15-20 pounds we have a really good bll player. Harris sitting out is good example. That kid can really play and has a ton of skill and is very active. Just needs to bulk. Marko has a ton of skill and danny loves him. Danny told me when peneva was a freshman how good he was going to be. And he was dead on.

This is how you build a mid major program with longevity. Sure it looked ugly for 2 years, but it has paid off in the long run. When DD finally retires, he will hand over something much better and more sustainable than he received.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, Herdmeister, Herd at Work, Collis P, herdorbust

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 10:02:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He has told both you and me that he doesn't look at things as they currently are. He projects what a kid will be. He sees things in a kid that I totally miss.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Herd at Work

Offline MUonium

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • herdorbust, to say other fans don't understand sounds arrogant.  And what do you mean exactly by "skilled" because it is absolutely debatable, without context?  For example, Kinsey is more athletic than ANY DD recruit so far...how would you describe/measure him?  i have no idea if he's "skilled" or if he has a high BB IQ or if he's a prima donna or not.

it seems to me that its accepted that we're just not going to compete for high impact players at this time.  all i hear is that every one of them comes with baggage, they're automatically bad kids or head cases, they're not going to be a team player or their dad comes with the package.  i've been patient for many years and will remain so and i back this staff 100% but i want as many impact players as we can get and i'm NOT saying we don't try.  i WANT what DD wants..A National Championship- we have what, 3 to 5 more years to do it so every recruit matters big time

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 10:56:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • There is no debate, Penava is the only foreigner who was a legit D1 player AND it took him 2.5-3 years to actually be a D1 player. Smite me all you want for saying this kid needs to RS but its pretty evident that he does. I'm not saying I don't like him. I'm not saying he won't be good. I actually think he has a lot of upside and think he fits our system. It will still take 2-3 years before he is developed into a legit D1 player.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: MUonium, GCPCOLLINS7

Offline elginherd

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • herdorbust, to say other fans don't understand sounds arrogant.  And what do you mean exactly by "skilled" because it is absolutely debatable, without context?  For example, Kinsey is more athletic than ANY DD recruit so far...how would you describe/measure him?  i have no idea if he's "skilled" or if he has a high BB IQ or if he's a prima donna or not.

it seems to me that its accepted that we're just not going to compete for high impact players at this time.  all i hear is that every one of them comes with baggage, they're automatically bad kids or head cases, they're not going to be a team player or their dad comes with the package.  i've been patient for many years and will remain so and i back this staff 100% but i want as many impact players as we can get and i'm NOT saying we don't try.  i WANT what DD wants..A National Championship- we have what, 3 to 5 more years to do it so every recruit matters big time

Context does matter, no doubt. However, "skill" can largely be determined in watching how a player goes through a practice. Kinsey is obviously a phenomenal athlete, but if you watch him in practice he has a good handle & can shoot. Additionally he is sound fundamentally as an on-ball defender. If his vertical was only 18", he'd still end up being a good player.

The two mid-majors who have recently reached the NCAA finals achieved it by having veteran, predominately a junior/senior rotation. IIRC, I think Loyola of Chicago (final 4 last year?) was a veteran led team.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dajour Rucker is player I would say is “skilled” from what I have read and seen on vids. He’s foremost a good offensive player who can shoot it and score inside. Furthermore, it appears he has a good handle with high basketball IQ.

I know very little about Marko but will trust Dan’s judgment on him.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline MUonium

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He has told both you and me that he doesn't look at things as they currently are. He projects what a kid will be. He sees things in a kid that I totally miss.

and his staff missed on a few and i understand he's human and humans make mistakes

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/HerdMBB/status/1064533180508717058?s=20

Marshall officially announces signing of Rucker.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • and his staff missed on a few and i understand he's human and humans make mistakes

everyone does.  but for some reason missing on a Euro seems to get much more attention than missing on an American AAU player.

all college teams have 13 schollies, and they all have guys sitting at the 9-13 position on bench and that ride pine most of career or transfer out somewhere they can play.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2018, 12:15:33 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

Skilled is a kid that can put it on the floor, pass and shhot. You do those 3 things you will be successful especially at 6’7”. And maybe it does sound arrogant. But when me, herdmeister, trs and others were mocked for giving practice reports before the beginning of last year and before. I was also mocked about my praise of peneva before last year. And on and on. So yes maybe sometimes i do sound arrogant. Then when i dont think it is going to be a lock for us in cusa. And how good i think wku, smiss,nt, lt and odu will be I get trashed for that. Lol!!!!

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, MUtim, horsrman, herdfifteen, MUonium, CoachSkip

Offline rvntx

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2018, 08:25:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Remember he is playing at a prep school in New York.....

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2018, 10:05:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Remember he is playing at a prep school in New York.....

OK that changes things quite a bit imo. Would love to see some of that film or will this be his first year playing here?

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  •  

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2018, 10:25:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OK that changes things quite a bit imo. Would love to see some of that film or will this be his first year playing here?

first year playing here. Word is Boston College and St johns were looking at him along with a few others. Danny loves that he can play the 1-4 spot.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2018, 10:36:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • first year playing here. Word is Boston College and St johns were looking at him along with a few others. Danny loves that he can play the 1-4 spot.

I can't wait to see some film of him playing here in the US this year. I think he's a good pick up either way. It's just a big time jump in competition over here.

This kid isn't as long as Penava but he looks more skilled than what I remember Penava looking.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2018, 10:49:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After watching the tape I'm personally impressed. He plays facing the basket, drives with the ball on the floor very well for someone his height and finishes with both hands. Looks like he can shoot the three well too. My main concern after watching is his a ility to get above the rim and his speed/quickness. Speed/quickness is tough to judge on video, especially when the player is tall and lanky though. Our lineup is getting tall and long.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Skilled is a kid that can put it on the floor, pass and shhot. You do those 3 things you will be successful especially at 6’7”. And maybe it does sound arrogant. But when me, herdmeister, trs and others were mocked for giving practice reports before the beginning of last year and before. I was also mocked about my praise of peneva before last year. And on and on. So yes maybe sometimes i do sound arrogant. Then when i dont think it is going to be a lock for us in cusa. And how good i think wku, smiss,nt, lt and odu will be I get trashed for that. Lol!!!!

you'll have to excuse them.  We've all learned - (played or watched) - basketball most of our lives one certain way and this philosophy is not it.  I think you commented in this or another thread that people still don't get what DD is doing.  They don't, you get that in many threads and concerns (primarily on defense rebounding and defending other teams bigs).  I know it's forced me to think about the game differently.  I guess you just have to understand with the system we play and the level of recruit we get - we've chosen offense over defense, particularly interior defense, it's the old trade 3 for two philosophy.  I suppose if/when our recruiting gets at a higher level we might find more players that can play DD ball (dribble, pass and shoot) and be thick enough and tall enough to defend and rebound in the interior defense.  DD really hasn't wanted the traditional post player (back to the basket) and made an exception with Iran because he sees the hands, footwork and talent to go with that size that we'll work him into our offense.

I for one really enjoy reading the reports from you, meister, TRS and others
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HERD49, Herdmeister, chris88, herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  I think the way DD is coaching and getting players , four year players , works best for MU and gives us our best chance to win.

Bill Nye is an i d i o t

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, HoPPy785, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2018, 10:02:14 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • you'll have to excuse them.  We've all learned - (played or watched) - basketball most of our lives one certain way and this philosophy is not it.  I think you commented in this or another thread that people still don't get what DD is doing.  They don't, you get that in many threads and concerns (primarily on defense rebounding and defending other teams bigs).  I know it's forced me to think about the game differently.  I guess you just have to understand with the system we play and the level of recruit we get - we've chosen offense over defense, particularly interior defense, it's the old trade 3 for two philosophy.  I suppose if/when our recruiting gets at a higher level we might find more players that can play DD ball (dribble, pass and shoot) and be thick enough and tall enough to defend and rebound in the interior defense.  DD really hasn't wanted the traditional post player (back to the basket) and made an exception with Iran because he sees the hands, footwork and talent to go with that size that we'll work him into our offense.

I for one really enjoy reading the reports from you, meister, TRS and others

It's GREAT to see someone that gets it. Not saying that others on here don't but that is the case with many people.
    There is a group of 6 that sit behind me at the Cam and have for 5 years or more. They, finally this year are starting to understand what Danny is doing. Until now everytime anyone other than a guard attempted a 3 point shot I would hear, "what the heck is he doing" or "we can get a better shot than that"
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They, finally this year are starting to understand what Danny is doing. Until now everytime anyone other than a guard attempted a 3 point shot I would hear, "what the heck is he doing" or "we can get a better shot than that"

Kind of like the know it all coaches in the movie 'HOOSIERS' . It took them a while but they finally bought into what Gene Hackman was teaching .
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's GREAT to see someone that gets it. Not saying that others on here don't but that is the case with many people.
    There is a group of 6 that sit behind me at the Cam and have for 5 years or more. They, finally this year are starting to understand what Danny is doing. Until now everytime anyone other than a guard attempted a 3 point shot I would hear, "what the heck is he doing" or "we can get a better shot than that"

Agree 100%. Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't like better interior D or better rebounding. But the system is a full flow 5 guys moving quickly and passing the ball. It is essential for our bigs to step out and be able to hit the 3. That makes their big come out and guard opening up passing lanes and pick and rolls. If Danny ever gets 5 really top level players at all 5 positions, there is no doubt he will have a shot at a National Championship IMO or at least a Final 4 run. Just imagine 2 years from now? Bennett, Williams, George, Brooks-Harris, Rucker, Sarenac, Beyers all 6'7" and bigger with all that experience and much bigger and stronger. And still have West, Kinsey, Dillon and still to be recruited. If we have a really good PG or one of the guys develop into that role, we are going to be very very good. That front line in 2 years will match up with anyone in the country.

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »