Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 1992 times)

Offline herdfifteen

Basketball
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]4
  • So what is wrong with college basketball? We are bombarded with posts from a few posters almost daily about how weak our football schedule is, yet we have already played three meaningless games in basketball. According to our local newspaper NC State is off to a strong start, they too are 4 -0 and have beaten those four teams by an average of 41 points! How can anyone except the total diehards get any enjoyment watching this stuff. I am a Marshall fan and got ESPN+ for the purpose of watching the Herd play, but somewhere along the way something needs to be done about this situation, but we know that won't happen as long as P5 money is available "

HerdFans.com

Basketball
    « on: November 20, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

Re: Basketball
    « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 08:49:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So what is wrong with college basketball? We are bombarded with posts from a few posters almost daily about how weak our football schedule is, yet we have already played three meaningless games in basketball. According to our local newspaper NC State is off to a strong start, they too are 4 -0 and have beaten those four teams by an average of 41 points! How can anyone except the total diehards get any enjoyment watching this stuff. I am a Marshall fan and got ESPN+ for the purpose of watching the Herd play, but somewhere along the way something needs to be done about this situation, but we know that won't happen as long as P5 money is available "

We are in a Global event nearly every year. It allows us to play 31 games instead of 29. It also gives us 3 homes games and then one money gave. This year Maryland, last year Illinois. Previously Louisville and Ohio State.
    It is a way to get our feet under us and make some money as well. If you look at Maryland schedule you will see we have played the same 3 teams. That is the way it works. We always get the money game 4th.
    The only other way to get the 2 free games would be to go outside the US or an exempt event like Myrtle Beach or Charleston, SC. When you go to those it costs money. We need to make money not spend it. It all comes down to money.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: scherd, parshall2marshall, horsrman

Online MUsince96

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 09:06:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have you looked at the OOC schedule as a whole? Maryland, Duquesne, Texas A&M, Virginia, old MAC rivals Ohio, Toledo, & Akron. Regional teams we have history with in EKU and Morehead St.  Every team has a few warm-up games and we're winning by an average of 20 points. I don't understand the complaint.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, horsrman, HoPPy785, overherd1, herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 09:11:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And its exciting unlike football!!! How is that?

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, MUsince96

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:13:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not to mention that it seems to be improving yearly. DD wants to play the big dogs and we will add more of them if we continue to be a tournament team and quality opponent. Add in a good top heavy conference that will get real interesting with the new pod format and you got no complaints here.

Offline whf

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also hold NKU season tickets, this year they had their own tourney; and EVEN MORE BORING than the one we participate in.  They're 6 -0 now; with a nice win over NIU at NIU, otherwise they've beat the crap our of several folks just like we have.

At least they've got some say in who they play in their own tourney.  Maybe we should re-build the MMI as a season-opening event; would it make money, I don't know.  But at least we could control who we play.

I agree with the first poster, it has been boring.  No need to say otherwise.  Learning experience for the new players, yes.  But also a sense of over-accomplishment for the good and experienced ones.  Hoping it doesn't give us a false sense of security going into Maryland on Friday.  But worried we'll see just how little value these games may have had by around 8:30 on Friday evening.  Sure hope I'm very wrong about this.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also hold NKU season tickets, this year they had their own tourney; and EVEN MORE BORING than the one we participate in.  They're 6 -0 now; with a nice win over NIU at NIU, otherwise they've beat the crap our of several folks just like we have.

At least they've got some say in who they play in their own tourney.  Maybe we should re-build the MMI as a season-opening event; would it make money, I don't know.  But at least we could control who we play.

I agree with the first poster, it has been boring.  No need to say otherwise.  Learning experience for the new players, yes.  But also a sense of over-accomplishment for the good and experienced ones.  Hoping it doesn't give us a false sense of security going into Maryland on Friday.  But worried we'll see just how little value these games may have had by around 8:30 on Friday evening.  Sure hope I'm very wrong about this.

We run over all the teams in the Global every year for the most part. It does what we want. Gets us some experience and money in the coffers.
    We all know by now wins and losses mean little to Danny until late in the season. He always wants to build as the season goes along and in all cases since he has been here he has done that.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: scherd

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]3
  • And its exciting unlike football!!! How is that?
    I could see how it is exciting for some who find going to practice two hours a day exciting.

Online MUsince96

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:17:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I could see how it is exciting for some who find going to practice two hours a day exciting.

So would it be more exciting for you if these were closer games and the outcome was in doubt, so it held your attention. Or if we beat them by 41 points like NC State?

Offline Herd-nficent

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]3
  • It hurts to shell out $40 a piece for my season tickets plus Big Green $$ for some of these early games.  Not going to argue whether or not we need to play patsies early to set our player rotation but that these games should cost less for the value received by the fans.
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

Offline Luke80

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is the toughest OOC BB schedule that I can ever remember.  Akron, Ohio or Duquesne on the road could end up being tougher games than Texas A&M or Maryland. Virginia is ranked 4th in the nation and EKU is an above average OVC team.  That’s 6 true road games.  Do you know how many true road games WVU plays - the answer is none.

The following users thanked this post: scherd, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, Herdmeister, horsrman

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I could see how it is exciting for some who find going to practice two hours a day exciting.

Silly me but I just find full court passing, defending and high flyers are fun to watch.
    I guess you should have been in Charlotte last night and watched the 49's beat Longwood 42-39. Halftime was 19-15 until they really turned it on the second half with a TOTAL of 47 points being scored.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: scherd, HerdHead, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, horsrman, MUsince96, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is the toughest OOC BB schedule that I can ever remember.  Akron, Ohio or Duquesne on the road could end up being tougher games than Texas A&M or Maryland. Virginia is ranked 4th in the nation and EKU is an above average OVC team.  That’s 6 true road games.  Do you know how many true road games WVU plays - the answer is none.

True. Danny wants to be ready for a deeper run than last year.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: scherd, herdfan129

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That is me. A nice cup of joe and a herd basketball practice is about as good as it gets for me. I'm not trying to be divisive, but I would ten times rather be at a Marshall basketball practice than a Marshall football game. I find it way more exciting.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, parshall2marshall, Collis P, wasbarryb, horsrman, CoachSkip

Offline goherd24

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 10:43:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• That is me. A nice cup of joe and a herd basketball practice is about as good as it gets for me. I'm not trying to be divisive, but I would ten times rather be at a Marshall basketball practice than a Marshall football game. I find it way more exciting.

I'd agree. Football is dead until Doc hits the bricks. Its really that simple. Dan has built Marshall.basketball into a brand again. Een Maryland fans are giving us credit and worried about us on their home floor.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 10:56:58 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

• That is me. A nice cup of joe and a herd basketball practice is about as good as it gets for me. I'm not trying to be divisive, but I would ten times rather be at a Marshall basketball practice than a Marshall football game. I find it way more exciting.

And plus I really enjoy talking to those other knuckleheads at practice. Maybe i'm just getting old LOL. Also got to talk to Jannson mom and son to be step Dad (JREESE) at the game last night. Great people and they are very proud of Jannson as they should be. I hope they enjoy their visit and they have a safe trip back home.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, JReese

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 11:31:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I have never attended a practice due to work. But, I enjoy the basketball games much more than I do football. Now, if Herrion was still the coach, I would find equally as boring as football.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, parshall2marshall, Herdmeister, horsrman, herdorbust

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I don't think I have ever seen you at practice with out a cup of coffee in your hand. It's how I recognize you.......
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think I have ever seen you at practice with out a cup of coffee in your hand. It's how I recognize you.......

Lol!!

Offline jstherd

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • Herdfifteen is right on. That is not an indictment of the Marshall program, but it is an indictment of college basketball. The Dayton Flyers draw 13,000 for each home game. Their schedule is loaded with weak teams, but the fans come. It is a disservice to those fans. The Flyers are 3-0 against nobodies. Yet, Dayton refuses to play Wright State, located 10 miles from UD.

To my friend, Herdorbust:

I disagree. To me football is as exciting as BB and I am a fan of both. Tell me, what is exciting about watching Marshall beat up on NCA&T or North Florida? Like Herdfifteen, I have ESPN+ so I can watch MU BB. I'll be happy when we play some meaningful games, i.e., Friday night. Like Herdmeister states, I believe we have a shot. At least it will be worth watching!

Online herd2win

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Sounds to me like this group of practice watchers got kicked out of Franks barber shop and the closest place to congregate and tell tall stories was Henderson Center and they stumbled on a basketball practice...

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

Online overherd1

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 01:23:02 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I understand why people don't like to watch blow outs....just not a lot of fun to play an extremely inferior opponent.  That being said, I think these games are very meaningful to the players and coaches.  Trying to find the best combination of lineups, helping new players get used to game situations, and many other areas where these games are very important to ours(and other) programs.  This is how we build thru the year to hopefully become the best possible team at the end of the year.

Our schedule from now on is not easy.  Several tough road games and some good opponents at home.  Some very good regional opponents.  Will be fun to watch us grow as a team and to see how good we can be.  Looking forward to it.  Go Herd! 

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, scherd, parshall2marshall, Herdmeister, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 01:23:02 PM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 01:24:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdfifteen is right on. That is not an indictment of the Marshall program, but it is an indictment of college basketball. The Dayton Flyers draw 13,000 for each home game. Their schedule is loaded with weak teams, but the fans come. It is a disservice to those fans. The Flyers are 3-0 against nobodies. Yet, Dayton refuses to play Wright State, located 10 miles from UD.

I disagree. To me football is as exciting as BB and I am a fan of both. Tell me, what is exciting about watching Marshall beat up on NCA&T or North Florida? Like Herdfifteen, I have ESPN+ so I can watch MU BB. I'll be happy when we play some meaningful games, i.e., Friday night. Like Herdmeister states, I believe we have a shot. At least it will be worth watching!

We are in a very competitive basketball league and we play 18 games there. We play 3 national teams in UVA. MD and TA&M. Good regional teams in Duquesne, Toledo and Akron.
    Do you expect them to play against super tough teams all 31 games?
    Everyone has some warm up games, EVERYONE. All the national powers pound smaller teams. As we have said, Maryland, a better than average Big 10 team is playing the same teams as we are. That is a much bigger drop down in competition than we are playing out of CUSA.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: scherd, herdfan129

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I understand why people don't like to watch blow outs....just not a lot of fun to play an extremely inferior opponent.  That being said, I think these games are very meaningful to the players and coaches.  Trying to find the best combination of lineups, helping new players get used to game situations, and many other areas where these games are very important to ours(and other) programs.  This is how we build thru the year to hopefully become the best possible team at the end of the year.

Our schedule from now on is not easy.  Several tough road games and some good opponents at home.  Some very good regional opponents.  Will be fun to watch us grow as a team and to see how good we can be.  Looking forward to it.  Go Herd!

Exactly!
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Style of play simple as that. I appreciate your belief and respect it. But i have not talked to one single person off this board that says that. And i can never remember a football game since 96 that brought the excitement that wichita st had. Because it meant something. Like landon said and he is stating a fact. Football attendance on the decline and basketball on the rise. I think fans are answering your question with that direction.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »