Author Topic: The real question  (Read 1096 times)

Offline thunderingon

The real question
« on: December 01, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]9
  • Is it possible for Marshall to lose a basketball or football game without folks on this board overreacting and wanting to fire everyone and thinking life as we know it as Marshall fans is over?  I’m worried about the mental health of some of you.  We didn’t go to VT to win.  It wasn’t going to happen and I wasn’t expecting it.

The following users thanked this post: bighat, ed swain

HerdFans.com

The real question
    « on: December 01, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »

Offline Herd4U

Re: The real question
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • No. Next question.

The following users thanked this post: Ovaltine Jenkins, parshall2marshall, Johns1124, herdfan129

Online luvherd

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it boils down to 9 years of over expectations and under delivery. (Exception the 2 last Cato years). That plan is a marketing nightmare.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

The following users thanked this post: herd33, Johns1124

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Comes down to contestly being beaten by teams with winning records and 1 CUSA football championships.

Offline svherd

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 03:26:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is it possible for Marshall to lose a basketball or football game without folks on this board overreacting and wanting to fire everyone and thinking life as we know it as Marshall fans is over?  I’m worried about the mental health of some of you.  We didn’t go to VT to win.  It wasn’t going to happen and I wasn’t expecting it.

Doc? Is that you?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: beau42m, herdfan129

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We didn’t go to win??

That statement is a head scratcher to me.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, HoPPy785

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We didn’t go to win??

That statement is a head scratcher to me.

That seems like a sad statement. Didn't expect us to win? Are we not supposed to be competitive against teams with losing records at this point in docs career?

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Offline Green Dog

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty sure Herm Edwards would kick the OP in the nutz for saying that.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 03:37:50 PM by Green Dog »

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, herd1990, parshall2marshall

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We didn’t go to VT to win.  It wasn’t going to happen and I wasn’t expecting it.

Wow. What a statement. So you are in worse mental shape than those that care. If you are right than the coaches should be fired. "You play to win the game." I guess you as well have given up on this team and staff...so then what are you complaining about?

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, DC01HERD, parshall2marshall

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 03:33:29 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • That seems like a sad statement. Didn't expect us to win? Are we not supposed to be competitive against teams with losing records at this point in docs career?

If you were ever going to beat them, hard to think of a better opportunity than today.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, HoPPy785

Offline herd1990

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I don’t think it’s the folks with lofty expectations who are the problem.  It’s folks who make statements  like “We didn’t go to Va Tech to win.  It wasn’t going to happen and I wasn’t expecting it.”  Apathy and accepting mediocrity from our fans is one of our biggest problems. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdHead, DC01HERD

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe we just went for the extra money from future VT home game. Doc wanted to be in warm Florida recruiting maybe. Spending his money. Can’t say I blame him.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »

Offline Greg H

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 04:58:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]3
  • Comes down to contestly being beaten by teams with winning records and 1 CUSA football championships.

Jesus Christ.  How many CUSA teams have more than 1 championship in the last 9 years?  And how many have winning records against 500+ teams?  Damned few is how many.  None on the championships as best I recall.  Once again, utterly delusional fans who think we ought to win the effing national Championship every third year because we are Marshall.  Well guess what?  Being Marshall usually means struggling.  No money.  Poor and incredibly uneducated state.  Yet Doc wins 8 games a year, year after year, against universities with a lot more going for them than Marshall.  We are always competitive.  Stop whining and realize.  Doc is a good HC.  He’s not Bear %^&* Bryant. And we will NEVER have that.  Bobby cheated his ass off.  His players often didn’t graduate.  Doc plays it right and they DO GRADUATE.  Count your blessings.  It’s unlikey to get better.  And lest you think it can’t get worse, check out ECU dummies.

The following users thanked this post: bighat, s1uggo

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Offline HERD111470

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 05:33:50 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow. What a statement. So you are in worse mental shape than those that care. If you are right than the coaches should be fired. "You play to win the game." I guess you as well have given up on this team and staff...so then what are you complaining about?
    I absolutely agree!! We didn’t go to win that game.  We for for the $$$ and the chance to schedule them in the future.  It was a opportunity to practice against someone better than our practice squad and to get prepared for that awesome bowl game we are going to (sarcasm here).  Doc always says every year you get extra practices when you make a bowl so this was just a week of extra practices for a bowl game.  Our program is stagnant our fan base has no enthusiasm and even though we won 8 Games this was all around a horrible year in comparison to what everyone expected.  Just my opinion don’t kill me. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdHead, parshall2marshall

Offline puma

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jesus Christ.  How many CUSA teams have more than 1 championship in the last 9 years?  And how many have winning records against 500+ teams? 

How many CUSA teams have been in CUSA for 9 years? Aren't most Sun Belt or FCS transfers or entirely new programs? Shouldn't we be more competitive since we're an established program?

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 06:03:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If they didn’t go down there to win then they have no clue of the pulse of the fan base and what it’ll take to change the negativity.

That’s all I know.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jesus Christ.  How many CUSA teams have more than 1 championship in the last 9 years?  And how many have winning records against 500+ teams?  Damned few is how many.  None on the championships as best I recall.  Once again, utterly delusional fans who think we ought to win the effing national Championship every third year because we are Marshall.  Well guess what?  Being Marshall usually means struggling.  No money.  Poor and incredibly uneducated state.  Yet Doc wins 8 games a year, year after year, against universities with a lot more going for them than Marshall.  We are always competitive.  Stop whining and realize.  Doc is a good HC.  He’s not Bear %^&*ing Bryant. And we will NEVER have that.  Bobby cheated his ass off.  His players often didn’t graduate.  Doc plays it right and they DO GRADUATE.  Count your blessings.  It’s unlikey to get better.  And lest you think it can’t get worse, check out ECU dummies.

I will give you the graduation part of your post, at least for this year. But, don't give me the winning one championship in nine years is acceptable. And, were we really in the games we lost? Southern Miss...yes. The other three, we got blown out and two of them were at home. That, to me, is unacceptable. And, I will say this also, that the beatdown Maryland and Ohio gave our basketball team is also totally unacceptable. So, now you can't just call me a basketball guy.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IMHO, I think the reason why a portion of the fan base expects to have multiple conference championships in CUSA is

1.) "At Marshall We Play for Championships" was the mantra of the program and administration for a long time repeated in all media by coaches and players
    2.) They backed it up by winning multiple championships. 8 in 14 years for combined SC and MAC championships impressively moving from 1AA and dominating MAC and being ranked #10 in just three seasons.
    3.) They won multiple 1AA National Championships
    4.) This is a weak football conference

As fans, me included, when I'm told repeatedly for years that they play for championships, and they actually play in and win them, then I come to expect that. When you go on a streak of not playing in them then fans start to question. I guess that's why they changed the mantra to One Herd and Herd Family.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline rvntx

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 02:34:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • We won the Southern Conference 3 times in 21 years. We did win the less competitive MAC. We went 51 years between championship 1937 to 1988.

The following users thanked this post: bighat, beau42m

Offline beau42m

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We won the Southern Conference 3 times in 21 years. We did win the less competitive MAC. We went 51 years between championship 1937 to 1988.
    We went 0-27-1 from 1966 until mid-season 1969. And had non-winning seasons from 1965-1983. I saw Marshall football lampooned in a national cartoon back in the late 1970's with the caption-"Losing is traditional here". But we had consecutive winning seasons from 1984-2003, with 2004 being the first non-winner (6-6).
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:10:55 PM by beau42m »

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • IMHO, I think the reason why a portion of the fan base expects to have multiple conference championships in CUSA is

1.) "At Marshall We Play for Championships" was the mantra of the program and administration for a long time repeated in all media by coaches and players
    2.) They backed it up by winning multiple championships. 8 in 14 years for combined SC and MAC championships impressively moving from 1AA and dominating MAC and being ranked #10 in just three seasons.
    3.) They won multiple 1AA National Championships
    4.) This is a weak football conference

As fans, me included, when I'm told repeatedly for years that they play for championships, and they actually play in and win them, then I come to expect that. When you go on a streak of not playing in them then fans start to question. I guess that's why they changed the mantra to One Herd and Herd Family.

The acceptance of mediocrity is the party line from the AD. It’s working:

I expected Doc to get porked by a bad VT team

Thanks Hamrick

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, biggreenarms, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jesus Christ.  How many CUSA teams have more than 1 championship in the last 9 years?  And how many have winning records against 500+ teams?  Damned few is how many.  None on the championships as best I recall.  Once again, utterly delusional fans who think we ought to win the effing national Championship every third year because we are Marshall.  Well guess what?  Being Marshall usually means struggling.  No money.  Poor and incredibly uneducated state.  Yet Doc wins 8 games a year, year after year, against universities with a lot more going for them than Marshall.  We are always competitive.  Stop whining and realize.  Doc is a good HC.  He’s not Bear %^&*ing Bryant. And we will NEVER have that.  Bobby cheated his ass off.  His players often didn’t graduate.  Doc plays it right and they DO GRADUATE.  Count your blessings.  It’s unlikey to get better.  And lest you think it can’t get worse, check out ECU dummies.

You are clueless.  Wining is too easy Coach too easy.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Breaking News!!

Doc Holliday is the only football coach in the world that can lead Herd to 8 wins in Cusa.  Very lucky Herd.  Dave Walker would just as many.  So would about 20 other Hs coaches in wv.  Family and friends starting to get pissed off bc pressure has to be mounting. Attendances declines, bad Ls, poor coaching decisions, nobody Ws.  When Pruett won 8 he won 10 or 11 next year.  Holliday will not come close to that next year. Another  Dip coming.
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:11:12 PM by MicDrass1 »

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

HerdFans.com

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »