Author Topic: Major new ESPN deal for the AAC through 2032  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Scottyo614

Re: Major new ESPN deal for the AAC through 2032
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's why they have the strategy of putting content that used to be on cable on ESPN+ for $4.99 a month. They're now targeting cord cutters to make up what was lost.

But you never will make up losing $7-8 per million, while having a steady 2 million at $4.99. While paying more for content, plus paying for your actual one air talent.

They have lost 15 million people. While only 2 million subscribe. That’s a hard loss.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 03:35:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Presently, no. 2 million subscribers won't make up the difference. But I'd imagine they're playing the long game. (ESPN+ is less than a year old)
    People are dropping cable and satellite all together, thus the drop in ESPN subscribers. They aren't specifically dropping ESPN, it isn't a la carte.

If ESPN keeps adding content that has a following (like the UFC). And more college sports from new conferences (AAC). They can continue making money back from people who didn't want to pay for cable but want sports for $5 a month.
    « Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:37:05 PM by MUsince96 »

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone in charge is asleep at the wheel and fans are in the backseat wondering if they'll wake up.

That's what they were saying on the radio.  The deal with the AAC is to broadcast the majority of their games on ESPN+.  I'm sure the marquee games will still be on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, but this deal with the AAC is to provide ESPN with content for their streaming service. 

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 03:40:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I still think working out a deal for ESPN+ and CUSATV games to air on AT&T Sports Pittsburgh is something the AD should be working on.

Other conferences get streaming games on local/regional TV.

I grabbed the wrong quote for the my last post.  I meant to grab this one. 

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 03:45:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I grabbed the wrong quote for the my last post.  I meant to grab this one.

What was being said on the radio? What show?

I've read articles that said "majority of basketball games and a large number of football games on ESPN+" but I don't think concrete, specific numbers have been released. I'd imagine Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU will be relegated to ESPN+ while the bigger AAC brands will get real TV.

Offline puma

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • How do we get out of the hole we've dug for ourselves? It's clear the conference isn't going to do it for us.

Can you imagine what we could do with an extra $7 million/year?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, wlf

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What was being said on the radio? What show?

I've read articles that said "majority of basketball games and a large number of football games on ESPN+" but I don't think concrete, specific numbers have been released. I'd imagine Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU will be relegated to ESPN+ while the bigger AAC brands will get real TV.

This was a local sports talk radio show in Cincinnati.  They had a beat writer on that follows UC.  He was the one giving this information. He also said that the AAC is moving their conference basketball tournament from Memphis to Ft. Worth.  They will play in a brand new 14,000 seat arena starting in 2020. 
    « Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:35:00 PM by Rockin Herd Fan »

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How do we get out of the hole we've dug for ourselves? It's clear the conference isn't going to do it for us.

Can you imagine what we could do with an extra $7 million/year?

Honestly pray ESPN + flops. They went all in on the UFC getting the ppv rights. Outside of the Big 10 around half of the P5 would fall apart on budgets.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly pray ESPN + flops. They went all in on the UFC getting the ppv rights. Outside of the Big 10 around half of the P5 would fall apart on budgets.

I hope ESPN+ doesn't flop. As of now it's a bargain of a streaming service and some Marshall games show up on it here and there.

My wish would be that CUSA-TV actually dropped the price to $5 a month and that every member had their production quality up to ESPN standards. Oh, and that CUSA-TV would actually have apps for Roku, Fire  TV & Apple TV.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »