Author Topic: Basketball Team  (Read 3768 times)

Online 2xBison

Re: Basketball Team
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 10:16:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What about last years walk ons?  Any returning?

We had the Swedish kid, Thomas from Fairland, and the kid from St Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 10:16:19 AM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What about last years walk ons?  Any returning?

We had the Swedish kid, Thomas from Fairland, and the kid from St Joe.

Luke Thomas is still here practicing with the team, but I didn’t see DeAundra Murphy.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 10:45:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would think it’s difficult to keep more than 3, but who knows.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 11:22:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Murphy and the swede are gone. Thomas is a very hard worker and wil be back. Collins, williams and the kid from CM makes 4 walkons this year.

Offline Brando3213

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honest question...Has anyone put on weight/muscle?  Several of these guys need help in the weight room to maximize their potential.   

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honest question...Has anyone put on weight/muscle?  Several of these guys need help in the weight room to maximize their potential.   

Nothing major. But i think jannson, george and kinsey may have put on a couple pounds. Beyers looks more toned. And bennett looks much better bouncing around 298-305. He was at 320 at the end of the season last year.

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

Offline wlf

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 05:15:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can practice be watched, if so , still at 9am in the Rec center? I don’t have a membership.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can practice be watched, if so , still at 9am in the Rec center? I don’t have a membership.

Yes 9 next tues-wed at rec. just say you are there to watch practice.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 07:47:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would think it’s difficult to keep more than 3, but who knows.

You can only dress 15 for a game. We have 13 on scholarship and presently 4 walkons. Since Williams and Collins will redshirt, we will only have 15 available to dress.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline coalherd

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Staying with basketball, does anyone recall when CUSA came out with the conference schedules last season?  Seems to me it was sometime in July, maybe early August.  Of course, that was the conference schedule WITHOUT any specific POD games for the latter few games of the year.  Hopefully by the time the league schedule is released this year most conference teams will have most of their non conference games lined up.  I imagine Danny, Coach Cline, etc., are still trying to flesh out our non conference foes, without having to dip down to the D-II level or so to complete that portion of our schedule.  Be interesting to see if we'll have a home game or two in November the same week-ends the football team is also playing at home.  I like to "double my pleasure", not to mention save a little $$$, by making ONE round trip to H-town and getting TWO Herd games for the effort!!!!

Offline goherd73

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2019, 10:51:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the Conference schedule was released early to mid July last year.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2019, 07:21:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the Conference schedule was released early to mid July last year.

Marshall announced the non-conference schedule on June 25 last year. The conference schedule was released on July 17
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, Always THE HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2019, 07:21:29 AM »

Online The Right Stuff

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2019, 04:52:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Still hearing having problems home scheduling.  Several slots are still open. Perhaps we may see some lesser division schools in those slots.

Mu 71

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2019, 05:20:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Still hearing having problems home scheduling.  Several slots are still open. Perhaps we may see some lesser division schools in those slots.

Mu 71

That is one reason i dont want to get rid of EKU and Morehead. Love those 2 games. And they both have had some nice teams thru the years. 2 awesome road trips.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan, MUonium, herdfan129

Offline MUonium

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2019, 04:03:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Still hearing having problems home scheduling.  Several slots are still open. Perhaps we may see some lesser division schools in those slots.Mu 71

i know they're doing the best they can, but i don't like the sound of that except for exhibition games or an old rival on occasion

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2019, 08:36:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Mu 71

They have 2 games to fill. Most likely we will buy 2 home games. Yes, most likely against inferior D1 talent.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2019, 09:07:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They have 2 games to fill. Most likely we will buy 2 home games. Yes, most likely against inferior D1 talent.

I know scheduling gets tough when it comes to filling spots but i was wanting to get away from the "inferior" teams but sometime ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know scheduling gets tough when it comes to filling spots but i was wanting to get away from the "inferior" teams but sometime ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

So right, Skip. I know Danny would love to get some 1 and 1 with A10 and AAC teams but they just won't do it, except for Duquesne
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2019, 09:49:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hope this doesn’t come across as beating a dead horse, but this is exactly why I was unhappy about dumping EKU and middle Tenn.  They were respectable teams with a history of playing MU.  So what do we end up with?  Lesser opponents with little excitement for the fans.  Very dumb move in my opinion.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hope this doesn’t come across as beating a dead horse, but this is exactly why I was unhappy about dumping EKU and middle Tenn.  They were respectable teams with a history of playing MU.  So what do we end up with?  Lesser opponents with little excitement for the fans.  Very dumb move in my opinion.

Couldnt agree more.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan

Offline coalherd

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2019, 10:34:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So right, Skip. I know Danny would love to get some 1 and 1 with A10 and AAC teams but they just won't do it, except for Duquesne

Wonder if they've tried other Colonial teams lately, aside from Wm. & Mary.  James Madison is only about 4 and a half hours or so from Huntington, drive wise.  They've been down but have recruited well and should be pretty competitive in the next few seasons.  Opening their new $85 million showpiece arena in the 20-21 season.  Perhaps they would be willing to come to H-town this season in return for a game there in 20-21.  ETSU is also a very competitive So. Con team, more so currently than UTC, IMO, and again not that far, travel wise from H-town.  Was hoping we could keep EKU series going, now with A-Dub there as HC.  Morehead series should be a no brainer, now that we have lost temporarily (?) the Ohio U series!  Finally, George Mason is in the A-10 but neither they or even Richmond have been as strong as they once were.  Would love to see the Herd gets games with GMU, in the DC suburbs.  Couldn't hurt with any potential recruiting in the Northern VA and DC Metro areas!!
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:36:56 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wonder if they've tried other Colonial teams lately, aside from Wm. & Mary.  James Madison is only about 4 and a half hours or so from Huntington, drive wise.  They've been down but have recruited well and should be pretty competitive in the next few seasons.  Opening their new $85 million showpiece arena in the 20-21 season.  Perhaps they would be willing to come to H-town this season in return for a game there in 20-21.  ETSU is also a very competitive So. Con team, more so currently than UTC, IMO, and again not that far, travel wise from H-town.  Was hoping we could keep EKU series going, now with A-Dub there as HC.  Morehead series should be a no brainer, now that we have lost temporarily (?) the Ohio U series!  Finally, George Mason is in the A-10 but neither they or even Richmond have been as strong as they once were.  Would love to see the Herd gets games with GMU, in the DC suburbs.  Couldn't hurt with any potential recruiting in the Northern VA and DC Metro areas!!

Radford should be a no-brainer with how close it is (less than 3 hours) and the connection w/ Pres Dedmon being at both
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Patriot and CAA should be teams we should look to be playing. American University, UNC Wilmington and Towson are located in areas with a good amount of alums. They should be able to get 2-1 for us with those teams.

We need to be a consistent NCAA/NIT team to be in consideration with some of those A-10, Big East and even AAC teams. 

Offline svherd

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Radford, JMU, Belmont, Chattanooga. Would all be good games with fan interest. Keep EKU and Morehead. Hopefully OU comes back around sooner than later.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline WolfHerd

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2019, 04:57:08 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • They are exploring a H&H with Coastal Carolina... Need them to come to Huntington this coming year and return to Myrtle Beach the next... Who likes that idea??? It's a solid match-up with a Sun Belt team that BEAT WVU in the CBI to end their season back in March and a team where Levi Cook just committed to yesterday and will be eligible to play both years! Would you travel to South Carolina in early December next year??

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2019, 04:57:08 PM »