Author Topic: Doc's contract  (Read 1609 times)

Offline MUsince96

Doc's contract
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First, let me state that I hope this doesn't devolve into an argument about Doc's coaching ability.

Having said that, what is the contract situation? It expires on 6/30/21 leaving him 2 more seasons. If contracts are going to be extended isn't that done about 2-3 years before they expire for recruiting purposes?

If an announcement isn't made this summer or by the end of the football season can we assume that means he's either retiring or not being retained?

The following users thanked this post: Big City

HerdFans.com

Doc's contract
    « on: June 19, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

Re: Doc's contract
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:12:51 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]9
  • First, let me state that I hope this doesn't devolve into an argument about Doc's coaching ability.

Having said that, what is the contract situation? It expires on 6/30/21 leaving him 2 more seasons. If contracts are going to be extended isn't that done about 2-3 years before they expire for recruiting purposes?

If an announcement isn't made this summer or by the end of the football season can we assume that means he's either retiring or not being retained?

If his contract gets extended that seals the deal for Marshall football. If we can barely compete with the bottom teams in I-A (as we have for the last half decade) shouldn't we just move back to I-AA or give up football?

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan129

Offline rvntx

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 10:56:12 AM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]10
  • We need him as long as he is willing to coach.........

The following users thanked this post: HERD49, whf, bighat, ed swain, Surbadger

Offline whf

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 11:30:53 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]6
    Or someone else with his high integrity, ability to find great assistants "in the rough", and committed to the wellbeing of his athletics and the school as a whole.
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 05:17:07 PM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, bighat, ed swain, Surbadger

Offline herd2win

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 11:54:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would not assume anything...I agree that the recruiting aspect will come into play.  I will also say that I would surely hope a national search is conducted and it is not just a hand off to one of the current assistants if a change is going to be made...

I for some reason believe this will be Docs last season...if we have a special season he will go out on top and if we have an average season a change will be made because we became stale.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 01:52:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think if he is being extended they should announce it soon so recruiting doesn't suffer. Kids want to know you'll be there when they commit to you.

The longer it goes without an announcement I think 2020 could be his last year. We'll just have to see.

I wasn't sure if anyone had heard anything.
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:08:00 PM by MUsince96 »

Online svherd

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It wouldn't shock me to see him retire after his contract is up. He's kept us stable and consistent for the most part and been loyal to the school. He wants to be here. jmho.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Surbadger

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • It wouldn't shock me to see him retire after his contract is up. He's kept us stable and consistent for the most part and been loyal to the school. He wants to be here. jmho.

Personally, I think it's more a matter of no one better has come calling, but that's just my opinion.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 02:56:30 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]1
  • If Herd loses 2 or more out of first 4 games this year needs to go.  That's not raising our program up a notch at all.  I don't care what happens rest of the year against crappy football programs left on the schedule. 

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, forphase1, MUinDE, Johns1124, Always THE HERD, The E-Man, herdfan129

Online Herd72

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]1
  • If he goes, I hope someone is hired that can bring some exciting wide open football back. I have gone from never missing a game in person, to watching on tv, to maybe listening while I do something else. The slow decline in fan interest has definitely hit my entire family. He is a man of integrity but his conservative strategies and Lord knows his interviews are both dull as dirt.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, forphase1, MUinDE, The E-Man, herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 05:10:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we have the kind of '19 season I ( and some others on here ) think we might have ... he will be welcome to stay pretty much as long as he wants. All the back-room deals, the games he has basically blown and the mediocre finishes in a weak conference will be forgiven, if not forgotten.

But if we struggle, the restless ( including myself ) will be up in arms, demanding a carefully thought out change.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 05:54:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • If he has a really "good" season in 19, I mean double digit wins in the regular season and another bowl win, also including a CUSA East title and perhaps, even, a league title, then I look for Hamrick, President Gilbert, and other "power brokers" vis-a-vis Herd athletics, to at least approach Doc with an extension package, maybe for a couple of seasons, and another jump in salary!  Such a season would no doubt create some overall good feeling among Herd fans, supporters and followers and couldn't hurt, and perhaps give some impetus to, the Herd Rises campaigns overall (athletic and others).

Remember this one fact:  Whenever Doc does depart, it will be almost mandatory that the Herd is willing to pony up a 7 figure salary to whomever is his successor, IF the school is going to attract interest from some high quality candidates, IMO!!  Also remember that the Herd is really getting some decent coaching in football AND basketball for what in reality amounts to practically "bargain basement" salaries.  Especially true based on the last 2-3 seasons' results in Danny D's case.  Until and unless the Huntington area economy starts taking off like a rocket in the near future and MU finally starts showing some solid enrollment growth in the same period, we'd better hope we can keep some of our head coaches around!!  We've got to also expect that once the new baseball facility is a reality, that there will be a push in some quarters to pour additional funds into that sport, including the salaries/pay of the Head Coach and assistants!!  Need to grow Big Green membership increases and is more critical with each passing year!
    « Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:27:19 AM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 05:54:37 PM »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]1

Where is the Barf emoji?

Literally not one school in the country wants this guy and yet to us he's now our Bear Bryant? Why? For going the most number of years with a 7 and 5 in his regular season record (not necessarily in that order). Or is it for greatest number of 110-130 ranked teams beaten? How far have we fallen.

If he comes back it should be for 1 dollar a year. There are no other bidders guys...IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nil.

If we aren't paying a minimum salary for him, we are overpaying. There is zero competition. Zero.

We need to be paying a young buck up and comer a million a year in the fall of 2021.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, forphase1, MUinDE, Johns1124, herdfan129

Offline puma

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 08:34:15 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we have the kind of '19 season I ( and some others on here ) think we might have ... he will be welcome to stay pretty much as long as he wants. All the back-room deals, the games he has basically blown and the mediocre finishes in a weak conference will be forgiven, if not forgotten.

But if we struggle, the restless ( including myself ) will be up in arms, demanding a carefully thought out change.

I think this season has 8-4 and #2 in the East written all over it but going 9-3 (or even 10-2) and #1 in the East is a very real possibility.

Out-of-conference will be tough and we'll go 2-2 or 1-3. This will be balanced out by a very weak conference schedule. There's just no way we'll struggle when not a single in-conference opponent finished 2018 in the Top-90. It will be a down year in a historically bad conference & division. Looking at recent history, having a WTF-team-implosion at an away game (MTSU?) and then getting completely out-coached by either Kiffin or Butch are realistic possibilities.

I think Doc is here for the duration of his contract but really, absolutely, positively needs to win the East this year to show some sign of life and improvement in the program. Another season of raking in wins against the bottom 1/3rd of FBS and not winning the division isn't going to cut it.

But getting to the championship and giving some hope that next year could legitimately be the year would be enough to garner some serious good will.

Offline Big City

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1

Interesting question you pose. I personally think we will know a lot about the direction of our program at two points this coming season.
    The first will be at the end of the non conference schedule and where the program stands. There is a huge opportunity for some early national attention (see comments below)
    The second will likely (and hopefully) come toward the end of December; conference championship appearance and bowl game.

if the program sees success i think it will be up to Doc and what direction he wants to move in. I look at a few things; his age and health, family, desire to continue and ability.
    I don't know a lot about Doc other than his age. He appears healthy and capable to me but as we age a lot can change in a couple of years.  Maybe he wants to devote more time to family- maybe he has a perfect balance right now- don't know.
    Then it comes to desire- if he wins it all this year and (it is a possibility) what mindset does that leave him in? Do it again or walk away as a champion with the best bowl win percentage ever?
    I won't argue ability as I pointed out things can change over a period of a season or years.

Maybe a year extension and then year to year perhaps. Just speculating.

This season poses a very unique challenge. Marshall plays 3 G5 teams that have been selected by some to win their conferences. This is your G5 play off that some of you have been asking for. 1st up at Boise and then two "playoff" games at home- Ohio and UC. It won't be easy but it can be accomplished.

IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, DC01HERD, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, herdfifteen

Offline rvntx

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where is the Barf emoji?

Literally not one school in the country wants this guy and yet to us he's now our Bear Bryant? Why? For going the most number of years with a 7 and 5 in his regular season record (not necessarily in that order). Or is it for greatest number of 110-130 ranked teams beaten? How far have we fallen.

If he comes back it should be for 1 dollar a year. There are no other bidders guys...IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nil.

If we aren't paying a minimum salary for him, we are overpaying. There is zero competition. Zero.

We need to be paying a young buck up and comer a million a year in the fall of 2021.

Did DOC still your girlfriend in high school or what? Your hatred for DOC is akin of Hillary's for Trump.......

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 10:43:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Did DOC still your girlfriend in high school or what? Your hatred for DOC is akin of Hillary's for Trump.......

I never understand these responses to my posts.

Serious question? What part of complete mediocrity in I-A's worst conference and complete irrelevance in college football are you so in love with? Seriously? Don't you ever want to win a conference Championship? Don't you want to go to an access bowl? Don't you ever want to beat a team ranked in the top 40? Don't you ever want to be even just the best G5? Don't you want to be ranked again and talked about on ESPN?

If La Tech didn't have 6 starters out, they probably beat us with 3 times less talent in 2014. And then doc would be 0-for in 10 seasons championship wise in a league where Championships should be like taking candy from a baby.

What part of nobody in the country will touch this coach with a 10 foot pole makes you MORE in love with him? Serious question? Doesn't that even remotely send up a red flag to you? We are giving this guy the only head coaching job he can and will ever have. Why are you so proud of that?

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, forphase1, herdfan93, DC01HERD, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 10:48:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This season poses a very unique challenge. Marshall plays 3 G5 teams that have been selected by some to win their conferences. This is your G5 play off that some of you have been asking for. 1st up at Boise and then two "playoff" games at home- Ohio and UC. It won't be easy but it can be accomplished.

Good point. Without playing a P5, we need all our G5 opponents to win their conference (after we beat them) and win C-USA in order to have a shot at the access bowl.

Offline Bport

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • How can our high expectations be realistic, given our attendance averages, TV exposure, and location? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Interesting question you pose. I personally think we will know a lot about the direction of our program at two points this coming season.
    The first will be at the end of the non conference schedule and where the program stands. There is a huge opportunity for some early national attention (see comments below)
    The second will likely (and hopefully) come toward the end of December; conference championship appearance and bowl game.

if the program sees success i think it will be up to Doc and what direction he wants to move in. I look at a few things; his age and health, family, desire to continue and ability.
    I don't know a lot about Doc other than his age. He appears healthy and capable to me but as we age a lot can change in a couple of years.  Maybe he wants to devote more time to family- maybe he has a perfect balance right now- don't know.
    Then it comes to desire- if he wins it all this year and (it is a possibility) what mindset does that leave him in? Do it again or walk away as a champion with the best bowl win percentage ever?
    I won't argue ability as I pointed out things can change over a period of a season or years.

Maybe a year extension and then year to year perhaps. Just speculating.

This season poses a very unique challenge. Marshall plays 3 G5 teams that have been selected by some to win their conferences. This is your G5 play off that some of you have been asking for. 1st up at Boise and then two "playoff" games at home- Ohio and UC. It won't be easy but it can be accomplished.

No its not the G5 playoff. Not even close. We beat all 3 and lose a conference game and we go back to a low bowl same as always. What is more memorable? 92-96 NC game or a low bowl. 92-96 can never be taken from us ans is a huge huge accomplishment. Not an added made up bowl win!!!!

Offline puma

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 11:56:09 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • How can our high expectations be realistic, given our attendance averages, TV exposure, and location? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We supposedly have the best recruiting in the conference year-in and year-out. We also have a stable and experienced head coach and some of the best facilities and attendance in the conference. I think it's entirely reasonable to say that we have the resources and support to be a Top 60 program, which in C-USA means winning our division every few years and the occasional championship.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • We supposedly have the best recruiting in the conference year-in and year-out. We also have a stable and experienced head coach and some of the best facilities and attendance in the conference. I think it's entirely reasonable to say that we have the resources and support to be a Top 60 program, which in C-USA means winning our division every few years and the occasional championship.

We should play for championships.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, forphase1, MUinDE, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 06:41:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We should play for championships.

We use to play for championships!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, mr_ash_1995, MUinDE, herdfan129

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • just speculating, but i'd say doc, himself, has probably told hamrick to hold off on extension, wanting to see how he feels closer to end of current deal.  there's no doubt in my mind if doc wanted an extension "this close" to end of his current contract, hamrick would have it in his ofc in about 30 minutes.

doc's here as long as he wants to be here as long as hamrick's here.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, svherd, ed swain, wlf

Offline MUinDE

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]2
  • just speculating, but i'd say doc, himself, has probably told hamrick to hold off on extension, wanting to see how he feels closer to end of current deal.  there's no doubt in my mind if doc wanted an extension "this close" to end of his current contract, hamrick would have it in his ofc in about 30 minutes.

doc's here as long as he wants to be here as long as hamrick's here.

Pure cronyism and exactly why we don't play for championships anymore. It used to be that Marshall, and we Herd fans, didn't settle for mediocrity. It's really sad that we now do.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »