Author Topic: Doc's contract  (Read 1598 times)

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: Doc's contract
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 12:25:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FAU had the top recruiting class. They also have Boca, 3 times the enrollment dollars and Kiffin etc etc but spin on brothers. And they're not the only one.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 12:25:50 PM »

Offline MUinDE

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • We had more confidence as a program when we were 1-AA. I can’t believe we now have people making excuses as to why FAU should beat us. Are you kidding me?! There was a time when we would walk into any stadium in America and expect to be ultra-competitive if not outright win.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, svherd, The E-Man, THECHAMPISHERE, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]1
  • We had more confidence as a program when we were 1-AA. I can’t believe we now have people making excuses as to why FAU should beat us. Are you kidding me?! There was a time when we would walk into any stadium in America and expect to be ultra-competitive if not outright win.

Amen to this!
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, The E-Man

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 03:04:41 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

I can't believe any of the "everything's alright" Docsuckers actually lived through those glory years and understand the difference in then and now.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, DC01HERD

Offline Big City

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 03:48:48 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]2

It’s hard to stomach Marshall losing to ANY team in this current version of CUSA.

IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, mr_ash_1995, DC01HERD, MUinDE, wasbarryb, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]4
  • Southern Miss was winning vs ECU, Louisville etc when we were struggling in the Southern Conf. They give scholarships too...at least thats what Bob Pruett said but I guess you know more than Bob.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 06:34:44 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]3
  • Pure cronyism and exactly why we don't play for championships anymore. It used to be that Marshall, and we Herd fans, didn't settle for mediocrity. It's really sad that we now do.

Ummm, just how much of those "playing for championships" seasons were based on the kinds of infractions, paying players for little or no work, see Marshall Reynolds/Champion Industries, resulting in multiple NCAA infractions, penalties and sanctions, loss of scholarships which led to/hampered the Tan Man's tenure?  No doubt some of the results of those carried forward and no doubt help result in Doc's hiring.  If that's what is needed for MU to win championships, do want to go back to those kinds of antics/tactics in order "to win"???

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 06:37:49 PM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ummm, just how much of those "playing for championships" seasons were based on the kinds of infractions, paying players for little or no work, see Marshall Reynolds/Champion Industries, resulting in multiple NCAA infractions, penalties and sanctions, loss of scholarships which led to/hampered the Tan Man's tenure?  No doubt some of the results of those carried forward and no doubt help result in Doc's hiring.  If that's what is needed for MU to win championships, do want to go back to those kinds of antics/tactics in order "to win"???

Pruett knew how to coach.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, mr_ash_1995, DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, MUinDE, The E-Man

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]2
  • Doc is 62 years old.  He seems in fine physical health.  A State wrestling Champ, WVU linebacker and a coach of 40 years isn't going to step down if healthy.  One cannot just give up that adrenaline rush without a physical reason to do so. 

He will have to be asked to leave and if his is, he will find somewhere else to coach either as an assistant or head coach.  I'm 61 and have aches and pains but played 36 holes Wednesday, am a weekend warrior around the house an yard, and was a pretty darn competitve single-handed racing sailor until last year when I sold the boat.  If I had the weight room facilities, massage therapists, whirlpool tubs and sports medicine institute at my disposal I'd feel 45 as I bet he does.

His success doesn't match Pruett's or Donnan's glory years, but he's done well for us given what MU has to fight.  Remember, it took him a while to get his team put together after the Snyder years.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, MUAlum2004, ed swain

Offline coalherd

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 06:49:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Pruett knew how to coach.

Not questioning that, herdorbust.  But if you don't think that all that under the table crap and shenanigans didn't HELP in those "championships", you're either awfully naïve or awfully dumb!!

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 07:35:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not questioning that, herdorbust.  But if you don't think that all that under the table crap and shenanigans didn't HELP in those "championships", you're either awfully naïve or awfully dumb!!

Maybe i am just both. You give Bobby the talent we have had the last few years and we would have some championships.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, mr_ash_1995, Collis P, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline Herdman77

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1

Reality check man. In the entire history of Marshall football we only ever beat one (1) single team that finished ranked in the top 25 (1A that is). Kansas St in 2003. That’s it. Never beat any other team that finished ranked in the 1A top 25. Sorry. But this is the truth.

http://www.winsipedia.com/marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »

Online THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 11:48:00 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • His success doesn't match Pruett's or Donnan's glory years, but he's done well for us given what MU has to fight.  Remember, it took him a while to get his team put together after the Snyder years.

1. What do we have to "fight" that is so abnormal? Life is challenging. Every school has to fight. Not an excuse to be and stay irrelevant in college football.

2. He never got it put together. We significantly downgraded conferences. Now we are having Snyder like records (3-9, 7-5) in this significantly downgraded conference and SOMEHOW Doc get's applauded for it. So weird. Standards on the floor. 
    « Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:56:53 PM by THECHAMPISHERE »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, DC01HERD, The E-Man

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2019, 12:47:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dude, get the 3-9 year out of your head.  That was the Litton Cancer year.  Never had a 7-5 year.

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/marshall.htm

Every school doesn't have to fight lack of an airport or hotels for visiting teams, a top ranked town for drug addiction and deaths when it comes to reruiting, a declining population, low economic opporunities...Fight Charlotte, Orlando, Louisville, Boca Raton, Cincinatti, etc. and tell me how what we have to fight is no abnormal.  Smallest public FBS school in America. Tell us what other competive school has to fight what we have to fight? 

I'd also argue the smallest number of donors to their athletic scholarsip foundation as well.  Since you ar not proud enough about your donations to include your BG donor banner in your profile, I'd have to include you in as part of the problem, not the solution.  I'd have a real hard time complainingif I didn't donate.

Doc was 17-20 as he was building his own team.  Since he as been 50-17 exluding the Litton Cancer year. 53-26 if you want to include it.  Compare that to most anywhere.

Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, herdfifteen

Offline ed swain

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2019, 01:38:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • There is no reason to compare Pruitt and Doc.They were both good coaches and we were lucky to have both.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Buffalo Bop

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2019, 06:52:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • There is no reason to compare Pruitt and Doc.They were both good coaches and we were lucky to have both.

Who is Pruitt? Never had a coach with that name.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2019, 09:09:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Reality check man. In the entire history of Marshall football we only ever beat one (1) single team that finished ranked in the top 25 (1A that is). Kansas St in 2003. That’s it. Never beat any other team that finished ranked in the 1A top 25. Sorry. But this is the truth.

http://www.winsipedia.com/marshall

I believe BYU was ranked 25 when we beat them.  That loss prevented them from "finishing" top 25.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, MicDrass1

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The end of the game with Kansas State, for your enjoyment.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:02:32 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, MicDrass1, TBone80

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2019, 10:49:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually some of those mac teams were ranked at one time or the other. Miami, toledo, w michigan, bowling green were in and out of the top 25 at times.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2019, 11:10:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it is pretty simple. Could we do worse? Absolutely we could. Doc is a stable coach and has been decent over his 9 years. But this program  does not have the confidence from the fans that it had in the 90’s and early 2000’s. This conference now is no better than the mac when we were in it. And we dont play for championships. We dont even win the east division!!! One championship in 9 years doesnt cut it in this conference IMO!!!! Now we could get a new coach and do much worse. But we know what we have after 9 years. The fanbase is dwindling, and there just isnt any talk or excitement anymore. We used to be the ESPN darling and the little guy that stood out and led the charge. Boise st blew buy us and took that mantle for years. Now it seems to be UCF. Houston has been that team at times. When will we ever expect to be that team again? You cant do it if you cant even play for a championship in this weak conference. So, are we happy winning most games but not playing for championships and not being a top G5 and just being stable? Like i said, we could do much worse than Doc. But i like playing for championships and being the UCF, boise, houston. And to think they once wanted to be like us!!!
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:37:57 AM by herdorbust »

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, The E-Man

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2019, 11:21:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not questioning that, herdorbust.  But if you don't think that all that under the table crap and shenanigans didn't HELP in those "championships", you're either awfully naïve or awfully dumb!!

The NCAA is a joke about what they choose to enforce.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The football fanbases in this league are terrible. We should be competing for division titles every year. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2019, 11:32:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The NCAA is a joke about what they choose to enforce.

Exactly. People dont think the big schools dont do much worse? And even a lot of small schools? Just an excuse to tear down Pruett for what he accomplished. IMO the Donnan and Pruett years were the highlight of marshall football. Along with Chaumps 87 run. But that is just one man’s opinion.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Herdman77

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2019, 12:32:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually some of those mac teams were ranked at one time or the other. Miami, toledo, w michigan, bowling green were in and out of the top 25 at times.

Actually, I forgot about S. Miss in 2011. We beat them in the regular season. They finished in the top 20 in both polls.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football_team

When we were in the MAC, Toledo finished ranked in 2001, but we lost to them that year. Little Miami finished ranked in 2003, but we lost to them that year. Little Miami went 10-1 in 1998 and we were the only team to beat them, but they were never even ranked at all that year let alone finish ranked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football_team
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football_team
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football_team
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football_team
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football_team
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football_team
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football_team
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football_team

Online THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dude, get the 3-9 year out of your head.  That was the Litton Cancer year.  Never had a 7-5 year.

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/marshall.htm

Every school doesn't have to fight lack of an airport or hotels for visiting teams, a top ranked town for drug addiction and deaths when it comes to reruiting, a declining population, low economic opporunities...Fight Charlotte, Orlando, Louisville, Boca Raton, Cincinatti, etc. and tell me how what we have to fight is no abnormal.  Smallest public FBS school in America. Tell us what other competive school has to fight what we have to fight? 

I'd also argue the smallest number of donors to their athletic scholarsip foundation as well.  Since you ar not proud enough about your donations to include your BG donor banner in your profile, I'd have to include you in as part of the problem, not the solution.  I'd have a real hard time complainingif I didn't donate.

Doc was 17-20 as he was building his own team.  Since he as been 50-17 exluding the Litton Cancer year. 53-26 if you want to include it.  Compare that to most anywhere.

How can you NOT include the 3-9 year. That was Doc's team, no? By your reasoning we shouldn't include the 2014 13-1 year because that was the "Cato improvisational year" where he finds a receiver at the last second before running out of bounds...he and 3 times the talent of any other team carried us...so Doc has nothing to do with that.

Until Doc was served 8 wins a year on a silver platter (which he usually loses a few of those) his records were no better than Snyder. Doc can always thank the conference getting gutted for his Coaching career. If he was halfway decent a larger school would have come calling and took him away...as you say...we are just so bad off in little ole Huntington. Forget the fact that we have one of the best stadium atmospheres, one of the best fan bases, one of the richest histories, one of the greatest stories, and one of the most recognizable names in college football. But yeah, it's all about an airport. We did pretty well in the 90's without an airport and had much less to offer than we do now. While Marshall football thrived, Huntington downtown was a ghost town in the 90's.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »