Author Topic: Will a win over Ohio...  (Read 1602 times)

Online herd2win

Will a win over Ohio...
« on: September 11, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]7
  • End any of the continued bashing of the football program?  Many of the complainers predicted MU to get killed at Boise and the team played a competitive game...so now they pick apart his presser and Anything else to be negative about.

If we lose to Ohio I am fully on board that a change needs to be made but until that happens or we don’t win the East I am fully behind this team and coach...

The following users thanked this post: HerdsHerd

HerdFans.com

Will a win over Ohio...
    « on: September 11, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »

Offline NewfieHerdFan

Re: Will a win over Ohio...
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 02:57:27 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think wins over Ohio AND Cincinnati would help quiet down the bashing and give people some hope we can win the East and, possibly, CUSA.

A loss to Ohio would be disastrous, IMO.   

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 03:02:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • End any of the continued bashing of the football program?  Many of the complainers predicted MU to get killed at Boise and the team played a competitive game...so now they pick apart his presser and Anything else to be negative about.

If we lose to Ohio I am fully on board that a change needs to be made but until that happens or we don’t win the East I am fully behind this team and coach...

34 debacles later...and not winning the East 7 out of 9 years already (in a conference where the East has been served up on a silver platter for like 6 years now)...what are you waiting for? I mean seriously why would 1 more game or 1 more year of underachieving change everything for you? It's been a freak'n decade of incompetents, no marquee wins, and boring ass football. Why not just stay on Docs nuts until the end (if you can find them).   

Online overherd1

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would agree....next two games are extremely important....mostly for perception and confidence.  Both are winnable, but we will need to play well.  OU is always a test as will Cincinnati.  If we can generate some offense, I like our chances.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 03:16:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Without any rings, Doc can pack his things.

Time to start winning this shitty conference MOST years. Not once a decade, not twice a decade, but at least 5 times per decade.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, HoPPy785

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 03:24:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • It would seem Doc Holliday is the bell to the Pavlov Dogs.
    Woof, woof, woof ...

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some call it bashing. Some call it having an objective discussion about things that are wrong. Interesting how that is.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 04:45:32 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not going to bash Doc.
    However, the BSU game is a much, much bigger deal than the OU game and a much bigger deal than the UC game. If the offense shows up at all in the 2nd half, the BSU was winnable and a win would have attracted more attention than the Herd will if they finish 12-1 with a CUSA title.
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:06:32 PM by elginherd »
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, forphase1, MUinDE, wasbarryb, The E-Man, herdfan129, mwilton13

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 04:48:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Are you ok with 1 title in 10 years in this watered down league?

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline whf

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 04:53:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • Do a lot of you guys live your lives in the past in every walk of your life?

We can't change the past, but we can be helpful in the present and future.  The current talent and coaching staff are more promising thank they'be been in years.  We got reasonably good press from a loss at Boise; and DOC admitted on his presser the strong need for highly improved offensive play; along with getting more opportunities for the offense by the defense getting off the field on third downs.

The question wasn't whether you'll continue to hate Doc no matter what, for many of you, we know that answer.  When you answer this question "no", you're actually saying there is no way in the current or future you'll support Doc because of the past.  I hope none of you are having to live your lives in that condition.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline Big City

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some call it bashing. Some call it having an objective discussion about things that are wrong. Interesting how that is.

Exactly.

What are the overall goals of the football program and are they being met?
    As fans we used to know the goal. “We play for championships”
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, mr_ash_1995, DC01HERD, MUinDE, The E-Man, Herdfan73, herdfan129, Herdalum94

Offline MUther

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 06:48:05 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • along with getting more opportunities for the offense by the defense getting off the field on third downs.

The offense needed to generate their own time of possession and failed with many more opportunities handed to them by the defense than are usually available.  That statement you made tells me that neither you nor Doc know a GD thing about football.

There is one more way they could have gotten the offense more touches.  They could have just gotten out of the way and let Boise score quickly.  Wouldn't matter either way.  An anemic offense is anemic.  We couldn't do anything with the ball when we had it so it didn't matter how often we had it.
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 06:51:21 PM by MUther »

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, parshall2marshall, ru4mu2, The E-Man, mlblack16, herdfan129, herdloyal

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 06:48:05 PM »

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 06:55:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only way to get fans back is to become a winner!  Period!  We’ve been mediocre under the current regime and will continue to be until a change is made.  MH needs to bring Doc in and say, “Buddy I love you but this is business and I want you to remain with the team with different responsibilities.  I want you to concentrate on your abilities and that’s recruiting.  This is best for the overall health of Marshall football and the city of Huntington.  This is what’s best for all!  Now together let’s bring back championships that fans desperately want and deserve.  Now Doc keep bringing in talent for our new up and coming coach!”  It’s pretty simple at this point.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, The E-Man, herdfan129, herdloyal

Offline mlblack16

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • 34 debacles later...and not winning the East 7 out of 9 years already (in a conference where the East has been served up on a silver platter for like 6 years now)...what are you waiting for? I mean seriously why would 1 more game or 1 more year of underachieving change everything for you? It's been a freak'n decade of incompetents, no marquee wins, and boring ass football. Why not just stay on Docs nuts until the end (if you can find them).

I don't post here often, but can someone show me the "hallelujah" button for the above post?

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan129

Offline HerdBlizz

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hell NO.   It’s like opening a 1000 piece puzzle and connecting two edge pieces and trying to convince everyone that you’ve got it finished. Docs 10 years here have pretty much been a fuster cluck
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:32:53 PM by HerdBlizz »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, hffo

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 07:14:53 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Beating Ohio means nothing to me. We should beat Ohio, we are supposed to beat Ohio, especially at home. However take care of Ohio like we are supposed to and then beat Cincy and I'll be more than happy to shut up for a while.
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:15:08 PM by Herdalum83 »

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, forphase1, DC01HERD, ed swain, goherd24, herdfan129

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 08:11:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After 10 years of the Medirocity of Marshall football we have a right to bash with such a poor performance from an offense that could have scored at least 21 or more but they failed to do so!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, jpdusa

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 08:26:58 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like I said. We are going to win the east. It’s impossible not to this year. It has never been close to being this bad. Now that doesn’t do anything for me because it’s handed to us this year. The east is beyond awful. This may be the worst division in a conference in D1 college football history. And I’m being serious.

Offline whf

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 09:11:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The offense needed to generate their own time of possession and failed with many more opportunities handed to them by the defense than are usually available.  That statement you made tells me that neither you nor Doc know a GD thing about football.

There is one more way they could have gotten the offense more touches.  They could have just gotten out of the way and let Boise score quickly.  Wouldn't matter either way.  An anemic offense is anemic.  We couldn't do anything with the ball when we had it so it didn't matter how often we had it.
    First of all, I was quoting Doc. I didn't even say I agreed with his assessment of the defense needing to contribute to offensive opportunities; yet I do.

As for knowing nothing about football, that might opinions don't always match yours doesn't mean I know less than you do. Honestly, why must almost every post become personal.  I think Doc has forgotten more about football than you've ever know, or will know.  For a layperson, I know quite a bit too.  But I'd not be able to say that anything you say means you know nothing about football.  Guess when debate becomes tough, personal attacks become easier and expected to push your feelings over the line.  Sounds a lot like general attitude of many folks in all things these days.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 09:45:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like I said. We are going to win the east. It’s impossible not to this year. It has never been close to being this bad. Now that doesn’t do anything for me because it’s handed to us this year. The east is beyond awful. This may be the worst division in a conference in D1 college football history. And I’m being serious.

What are you going to do when Doc snatches defeat from the jaws of victory and leads us to 5-3 in the division with a 2nd or 3rd place finish? Sad, but that's what I've come to expect under Doc.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 09:58:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• What are you going to do when Doc snatches defeat from the jaws of victory and leads us to 5-3 in the division with a 2nd or 3rd place finish? Sad, but that's what I've come to expect under Doc.

Not this year mark it down. The division has never had every team this bad. There is no competition. Just that simple.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Online Thundering In MD

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 10:35:15 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • As a mod, I just try to make sure posters comply with the users agreement.  As a fan, I do the best I can to ignore posts that complain because we aren’t winning championships each year.  I agree with Big City that constructive criticism is good and the strength of this board.  For me the credibility key is whether the poster is actually being constructive or just enjoying their status as the biggest and loudest complainer.

I support Marshall and in particular the Football program.  Go Herd!!!
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: HerdsHerd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 10:35:15 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 11:21:27 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • For the best fans that are maybe a bit more in tune with the program, and expect more, the loss at Boise eliminated us from our highest possible achievement, which is the access bowl. That's tougher to swallow when you lose 14-7 with no yards in the second half, than it is if we were blown out 50-0. That being said, only wining out is the only other acceptable scenario now for Doc. He blows that, then fans should be tired of it. If you want to follow a team where no one expects anything, every season, follow someone else. Most marshall fans expect we are contending for titles every year, and in the worst conference in football, with the best players year in and year out, that's not unreasonable to expect.

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, DC01HERD, Herdfan73, Herdalum83, herdfan129

Offline MUther

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 04:34:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First of all, I was quoting Doc. I didn't even say I agreed with his assessment of the defense needing to contribute to offensive opportunities; yet I do.

As for knowing nothing about football, that might opinions don't always match yours doesn't mean I know less than you do. Honestly, why must almost every post become personal.  I think Doc has forgotten more about football than you've ever know, or will know.  For a layperson, I know quite a bit too.  But I'd not be able to say that anything you say means you know nothing about football.  Guess when debate becomes tough, personal attacks become easier and expected to push your feelings over the line.  Sounds a lot like general attitude of many folks in all things these days.

Your first line was a personal attack on how people live their lives.  You quoted Doc as a defense of Doc in as much agreeing with what he said and that we should, too.  Ignorance is not a personal attack.  You either know something or you don't.  And then I gave you a reason why his statement was malarkey.  And why do people insist that a coach that blows games through ignorance of the game know more about football than people who aren't coaches?  A patent clerk knew more about physics than any physicist.  Because people don't choose to coach football doesn't mean they haven't played, watched, and/or have been utterly absorbed by the game of football. 

No one groomed Doc to be a head coach.  No one said "someday you'll take over for me."  No one in his 30+ years of working around football teams.  Do you think maybe they knew something about his lack of understanding that kept him from getting his shot till his best friend took over as AD?  10 years later and we still see Doc in headlights during a close game or a declining advantage.  He is lost after all this time and still makes rookie mistakes as pointed out by many who do know something about football.  Things that any first year coach picks up right away.  And it costs us games.  The three false starts in a row at Boise was unbelievable.  And we were just outside the redzone before that debacle. 

But for him to blame the defense for the offense's lack of any meaningful production takes the cake.  The defense was the only reason we even had a chance in that game.  It certainly wasn't the 7 points and backward yardage they accumulated in the second half.

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum83, herdfan129

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 06:33:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As a mod, I just try to make sure posters comply with the users agreement.  As a fan, I do the best I can to ignore posts that complain because we aren’t winning championships each year.  I agree with Big City that constructive criticism is good and the strength of this board.  For me the credibility key is whether the poster is actually being constructive or just enjoying their status as the biggest and loudest complainer.

I support Marshall and in particular the Football program.  Go Herd!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 06:33:22 AM »