Author Topic: ESPN+  (Read 864 times)

Offline MUsince96

ESPN+
« on: September 24, 2019, 06:45:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://www.southland.org/news/2019/9/23/southland-football-week-six-selections-announced.aspx

Add McNeese State to schools who get their ESPN+ games on TV in market.

If Herd hoops ESPN+ games aren't also on TV we really need an explanation.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

ESPN+
    « on: September 24, 2019, 06:45:33 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

Re: ESPN+
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 07:06:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://www.southland.org/news/2019/9/23/southland-football-week-six-selections-announced.aspx

Add McNeese State to schools who get their ESPN+ games on TV in market.

If Herd hoops ESPN+ games aren't also on TV we really need an explanation.

Obviously we have the technical equipment, best in CUSA. All the games are on somewhere, CUSA-TV, Herdzone, etc, so it makes me think it has something to do with the CUSA contract not including ESPN?
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 07:26:25 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obviously we have the technical equipment, best in CUSA. All the games are on somewhere, CUSA-TV, Herdzone, etc, so it makes me think it has something to do with the CUSA contract not including ESPN?

If it's a contractual issue between CUSA and ESPN I'd like to see Mike seek some kind of exemption on the grounds that so many West Virginians lack broadband internet to use the streaming service.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Herdmeister, ed swain, The E-Man, herdfan129

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • League is just not good for aspiring football programs.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 12:35:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If it's a contractual issue between CUSA and ESPNI'd like to see Mike seek some kind of exemption on the grounds that so many West Virginians lack broadband internet to use the streaming service.

Caution! you're making to much sense!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, MUinDE, coalherd

Offline TDHerd!

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 02:01:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It has to do with contracts.... espn has the last dibs to our games, that’s why we don’t get many games on there... cbs sports and fb get first dibs before espn or the nfl network and that’s why a lot of our games aren’t on espn, Bc we are in high demand for cbs sports and fb

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It has to do with contracts.... espn has the last dibs to our games, that’s why we don’t get many games on there... cbs sports and fb get first dibs before espn or the nfl network and that’s why a lot of our games aren’t on espn, Bc we are in high demand for cbs sports and fb

I understand how the TV tiers work.

I'm talking about when we do have ESPN+ games like in football and basketball last year and likely a lot of basketball again this year.

I have posted countless examples of schools that get those ESPN+ games on local or regional TV. Why not us?

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline Herdadelphia

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 02:55:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No idea if we will have any on ESPN+ this year but I know for a fact I watched a few Herd bball games on there last year. Big fan of the product and hope we are on there a lot this season.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 02:58:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No idea if we will have any on ESPN+ this year but I know for a fact I watched a few Herd bball games on there last year. Big fan of the product and hope we are on there a lot this season.

The production for ESPN+ is exactly the same as games on Herdzone or CUSA-TV. It is all done in house in the arena. We are the conference leader in video production.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Online svherd

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 03:15:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I understand how the TV tiers work.

I'm talking about when we do have ESPN+ games like in football and basketball last year and likely a lot of basketball again this year.

I have posted countless examples of schools that get those ESPN+ games on local or regional TV. Why not us?

In my mind, losing local tv coverage has hurt our brand and fan base. I used to think not being on TV would drive fans to the Joan and Cam. I now think the exact opposite has happened. Out of sight, out of mind. It’s hurt us not being on local tv more and certainly curbed fan excitement and hurt the brand.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, SouthernHerd, whf, MUinDE, Scottyo614, puma, herdfan129

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 03:31:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In my mind, losing local tv coverage has hurt our brand and fan base. I used to think not being on TV would drive fans to the Joan and Cam. I now think the exact opposite has happened. Out of sight, out of mind. It’s hurt us not being on local tv more and certainly curbed fan excitement and hurt the brand.

SV, the late Dan Shoemaker backed up your current sentiments many times on this board.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • In my mind, losing local tv coverage has hurt our brand and fan base. I used to think not being on TV would drive fans to the Joan and Cam. I now think the exact opposite has happened. Out of sight, out of mind. It’s hurt us not being on local tv more and certainly curbed fan excitement and hurt the brand.

D Shoe always said being on tv helped build the fan base and helped with recruiting(not only student athletes but other students as well). He said overall it helped with building ticket sales since more people got to see the Herd and wanted to experience the game in person. Like someone posted after the NCCA bball game it was over 20million in free pub for MU. Having regular season games on tv won't hit that mark because of March Madness but a fraction of it would probably increase ticket sales if the staff and team delivers a good winning season.
    GO HERD!!!     
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I understand how the TV tiers work.

Someone needs to ask your last question to Hamrick.  I believe WCHS-TV, channel 8, and its affiliate, the Fox 11 station in the Huntington-Charleston market has the "local" rights to MU sports in that market.  Thus I doubt a station like WSAZ in Huntington couldn't broadcast/telecast Herd games if they wanted to.  But you would think that there would be enough interest in the Tri-State and Kanawha Valley markets that sufficient advertising revenues for select Herd games could be garnered.  You would think that with a little HUSTLE and WORK that the WCHS folks, their advertising people, could raise enough $$$ in adverting fees to put some MU games on either WCHS TV or the WVAH Fox 11 station.  Maybe Hamrick should do his job and find out why they AREN'T doing so!!!

Offline TDHerd!

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 04:01:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh I apologize, I thought you were wondering why we weren’t on espn + and didn’t realize you were wondering why we can’t do local tv while on espn +!  I agree it would be nice to have that option like we did in the 90s and 2000’s but at the same time streaming is the future and it’s only 5 bucks a month!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 04:02:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone needs to ask your last question to Hamrick.  I believe WCHS-TV, channel 8, and its affiliate, the Fox 11 station in the Huntington-Charleston market has the "local" rights to MU sports in that market.  Thus I doubt a station like WSAZ in Huntington couldn't broadcast/telecast Herd games if they wanted to.  But you would think that there would be enough interest in the Tri-State and Kanawha Valley markets that sufficient advertising revenues for select Herd games could be garnered.  You would think that with a little HUSTLE and WORK that the WCHS folks, their advertising people, could raise enough $$$ in adverting fees to put some MU games on either WCHS TV or the WVAH Fox 11 station.  Maybe Hamrick should do his job and find out why they AREN'T doing so!!!

Last year I asked Hamrick and Goebell about this. Hamrick didn't reply but Goebell said he was working on it. I've emailed Mark Martin twice about it since he's the sports guy for WCHS and calls our ESPN+ games and got no response.

I guess I'll take my concerns to Hamrick again and cc Dr. Gilbert.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdfan129

Online svherd

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 04:14:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh I apologize, I thought you were wondering why we weren’t on espn + and didn’t realize you were wondering why we can’t do local tv while on espn +!  I agree it would be nice to have that option like we did in the 90s and 2000’s but at the same time streaming is the future and it’s only 5 bucks a month!

The problem is - WV is one of the worst states for internet access in the country. This whole region is way behind on broadband. We only average 5-6K viewers for a stadium/facebook streamed game.

The Huntington/Charleston metro areas have about 500K people combined, that reaches many more fans and potential fans being on TV.

No question, the days of SportSouth and THN are when we built the brand and grew interest in the program.

Mike really needs to address this. Streaming may be the future, but in this area it has a ways to go. 

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 04:30:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Absolutely pathetic to say the least. I get more pissed every time I see some small team get their games on both ESPN+ and local tv.

As I said, my grandparents really wanted to watch the Ohio game but was unable to do so because it was on friggin FB. Same thing when games are only on ESPN+. They would DEFINITELY watch every game if it was on local tv for them to watch.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, ed swain, The E-Man

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 04:45:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The more who email about it the more likely Mike is to address it.

Online ru4mu2

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I lived in the Northern Virginia area from 1992-1998 and MU was on TV in that market every Saturday.  Home or away.  I came in for most home games.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 07:50:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On Metro News sports show tonight, WVU coach Brown was quoted as saying that for his last two years at Troy State his teams were on ESPN+ and they he used it all the time.

So I guess that in 2019, the Herd, as well as CUSA in general, are behind the better programs in the Sun Belt Conference when it comes to this issue.  The Beat Goes On!!!

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On Metro News sports show tonight, WVU coach Brown was quoted as saying that for his last two years at Troy State his teams were on ESPN+ and they he used it all the time.

So I guess that in 2019, the Herd, as well as CUSA in general, are behind the better programs in the Sun Belt Conference when it comes to this issue.  The Beat Goes On!!!

ESPN+ a person still have to use the internet, so again, a lot of West Virginian's wouldn't have access. The difference of course is that we would get more recognition being on ESPN, than any other station. I'm hoping the NFL Network turns into a good thing for CUSA. This conference is lacking a good Commissionaire, that's for damn sure..
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 02:33:31 AM by The E-Man »

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, parshall2marshall, svherd, MUinDE, Scottyo614, coalherd, herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 01:12:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

If our school had a $1,000 for every person that said "streaming is the future" it would almost have as much as we used to before we were relegated to facebook.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 01:12:40 AM »

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 06:22:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • After the display his team put on in Columbus I'll bet he wishes his team had been on Facebook. Followed him closely when at Ohio State and always felt he was the weakest link on the staff, I am very surprised at his success in Cincinnati.

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 06:48:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After the display his team put on in Columbus I'll bet he wishes his team had been on Facebook. Followed him closely when at Ohio State and always felt he was the weakest link on the staff, I am very surprised at his success in Cincinnati.

Luke is a good guy and a good coach. The drubbing in Columbus is what it is. Hard to judge that game. He’s done wonders at Cincinnati given the circumstances around him.

Online elginherd

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ESPN+ a person still have to use the internet, so again, a lot of West Virginian's wouldn't have access. The difference of course is that we would get more recognition being on ESPN, than any other station. I'm hoping the NFL Network turns into a good thing for CUSA. This conference is lacking a good Commissionaire, that's for damn sure..

And there are a fair number even in WVa's bigger towns that don't have broadband access.

That said, ESPN+>>Facebook from my POV. With ESPN+ I've never had serous buffering or had to play where's Waldo to find a specific game on using the ESPN app. Additionally I can easily check in on some of the colleges', of whom I have had some connection, BB or FB games such as the College of Charleston, Presbyterian, Winthrop and Montana State.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »