Author Topic: NHR - Marty Brennaman signing off.  (Read 887 times)

Offline CoachSkip

NHR - Marty Brennaman signing off.
« on: September 25, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice video about Marty with some Joe thrown in . The fella doing it started in Huntington , he mentions that at the beginning.

It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ThunderValley, mu79grad, The E-Man, LUVTHATHERD

HerdFans.com

NHR - Marty Brennaman signing off.
    « on: September 25, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »

Offline The E-Man

Re: NHR - Marty Brennaman signing off.
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice video about Marty with some Joe thrown in . The fella doing it started in Huntington , he mentions that at the beginning.

Nice video indeed. Huntington have always had a huge Reds fanbase . Marty is following the old left hander Joe Nuxhall, "he's rounding 3rd and heading for home" And, this one belongs to Marty.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, LUVTHATHERD

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 03:15:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice find!  Thank you for sharing this.  There will never be another like Marty.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline goherd14562

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That would be Matt Vasgersian from Sunday Night Baseball

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure that I have every heard him do a game having never been a Reds fan or lived in this area until the past few years.
    I grew up a Yankees fan listening to the great Red Barber and Mel Allen.
    Having lived in northern WV all the local stations carries the Pirates. The most colorful Bob Prince was their longtime announcer.

I believe that Vin Scully was the best ever. Non partisan judges would pretty much agree with that.

Ernie Harwell of the Tigers was as fair as any I ever heard with the exception of Scully. You would hear Ernie praise a player from the other team nearly as often as he did a Detroit player
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Online coalherd

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 04:59:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Too bad Marty has to go out announcing games of another very mediocre Reds team.  Reds haven't been competitive for the last several seasons and with the front office mediocre management they have its not likely their on the field fortunes will turn any time soon!!

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline pdunn

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 06:46:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another piece of my childhood disappears.  He has been doing his job since I was eight.  Will miss him for sure.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 10:08:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure that I have every heard him do a game having never been a Reds fan or lived in this area until the past few years.
    I grew up a Yankees fan listening to the great Red Barber and Mel Allen.
    Having lived in northern WV all the local stations carries the Pirates. The most colorful Bob Prince was their longtime announcer.

I believe that Vin Scully was the best ever. Non partisan judges would pretty much agree with that.

Ernie Harwell of the Tigers was as fair as any I ever heard with the exception of Scully. You would hear Ernie praise a player from the other team nearly as often as he did a Detroit player
    Marty definitely isn’t a homer. He calls it like he sees it and has ripped plenty of guys who have played for the reds over the year as well as management. He’s also been a big proponent over the years for MU’s baseball program to get a stadium. His wife is an Ashland native and a MU alum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another piece of my childhood disappears.  He has been doing his job since I was eight.  Will miss him for sure.
    I said the same thing. I was less than a year old when he started. I was born in May of 73 and Marty started broadcasting Reds games in the spring of 74. When I was growing up in the summertime the tv was on with the volume turned down and the radio was on the reds game listening to Marty and Joe.

Online banker

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 10:45:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I started playing baseball when I was 8 in 1973 and became a big Reds fan.  Have a picture of me and Pete Rose from when the Reds caravan came to Ashland in 1974 and begged mom to take me.  Listen to Marty and Joe every night, keeping box scores of games in spiral bound notebooks.

That was truly the good old days from a fan perspective. That was before free agency and the teams and players stayed the same. I knew the starting lineup of nearly every national league team and knew all the players in the NL west (which Cincinnati was a part of back then).  Would stay up late with the radio low to listen to the west coast swings, especially when they played the Dodgers.

Those are good memories.

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, overherd1, herdorbust

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MLB Network will be carrying the Reds/Brewers game today at 12:35 and will be simulcasting the Reds on radio broadcast which is Marty’s last game.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline overherd1

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Really nice video....brings back lots of memories of listening with my dad.  He always had the games on when I was a kid.  Thanks for sharing!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 08:54:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gonna miss Marty!  As many have mentioned, I have a lot of memories of listening to Marty.  When I hear him, I think of ol' WV...fishing and working in the garden.  Always had access to a radio and unlike Marshall FB games, the game was easy to find on the dial !  Marty had a great career.

HM...I'll give ya' Mel Allen (loved his "This Week In Baseball").  As for Scully, when you announce the Dodgers, you fall a slot or two.  LOL!  ;)
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Herdmeister

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 09:08:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He’s not calling the last 3 games of the season. Must be an early retirement.

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 09:09:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He’s not calling the last 3 games of the season. Must be an early retirement.
    He’s finishing at home. The last 3 games are in Pittsburgh.

Offline wlf

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What local stations have been carrying the Reds broadcasts? I’ve DVRed games for several seasons and didn’t worry about radio broadcasts, because I couldn’t even find them when wanted.

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What local stations have been carrying the Reds broadcasts? I’ve DVRed games for several seasons and didn’t worry about radio broadcasts, because I couldn’t even find them when wanted.
    Sometimes the reds are on AM 800 and sometimes it’s AM 1420

Offline svherd

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marty has been great. I remember when Al Michaels did the Reds games before Marty.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, coalherd

Online coalherd

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 02:44:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marty has been great. I remember when Al Michaels did the Reds games before Marty.

svherd, I remember when Waite Hoyt did the Reds radio play by play BEFORE Michaels.  And Waite Hoyt PLAYED major league ball with BABE RUTH's Yankees, for goodness sake.  All of which means, man, I'm GETTING OLD!!  :'(

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, svherd

Offline bighat

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember taking my transistor radio into closet and listening to Reds in 60's.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 03:27:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27707870/reds-hall-famer-brennaman-calls-final-game

"I first got to hear him when my dad was traded here," said Reds manager David Bell, the son of Buddy. "I was in high school. Listening to those games was the most important thing in my life. It was three hours of escape. He made it really matter."
    « Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:29:08 PM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 03:42:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would have been nice if our Athletic Dept would have had a Marty Brennaman day here Saturday vs Cincinnati. Marty was very outspoken about Marshall getting a baseball stadium. Marty always mentioned Huntington and Marshall University on his broadcast, maybe he will get to be an honorary guest when the stadium opens. Here's a nice link of some of Marty broadcast calling Rose's hit record and Hank Aaron tying Babe Ruth..

https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article143201234.html
    « Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:52:50 PM by The E-Man »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 03:42:56 PM »

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2019, 03:50:09 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would have been nice if our Athletic Dept would have had a Marty Brennaman day here Saturday vs Cincinnati. Marty was very outspoken about Marshall getting a baseball stadium. Marty always mentioned Huntington and Marshall University on his broadcast, maybe he will get to be an honorary guest when the stadium opens. Here's a nice link of some of Marty calling Rose's hit recond and Hank Aaron tying Babe Ruth..

https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article143201234.html
    I’ve said since the ceremony to announce the new baseball stadium that Marty should be invited to the first game. He’s long been a proponent of MU getting a baseball stadium and has talked about it numerous times during Reds broadcasts.

Online wesnky

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was there for Marty's last game on the air. The  Reds and Kroger gave out 20,000 radios to the fans to listen to the last broadcast.  28K showed up.

After the  game all fans were invited on the field to see Marty and family in the round with Jim Day emceeing. Very few left the game early.  It was such a great experience to see and hear Marty's last game.

Very emotional for most , and Marty's favorite charity saluted, the Dragon Flys, a group that supports childrens cancer.  So glad we made the trip to Great American ball park today.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Stripeshrt, HuntersvilleHerd, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Al Michaels was still doing games when I started working down in the Cincinnati area and when Marty took over I wondered "who is this kid?"
    That kid turned out to be pretty darn good.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »