Author Topic: SHR- - Is this the beginning . . .  (Read 1545 times)

Offline coalherd

SHR- - Is this the beginning . . .
« on: July 08, 2020, 06:41:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • . . . of the end of the college football season in 2020?  According to Keith Morehouse on Channel 3's sports this evening, the Ivy League has cancelled its 2020 football season.  Will other FCS and perhaps FBS leagues soon follow?

HerdFans.com

SHR- - Is this the beginning . . .
    « on: July 08, 2020, 06:41:37 PM »

Offline herd2win

Re: SHR- - Is this the beginning . . .
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 06:58:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn’t worry until you see the SEC cancel the season..Ivy league does not need the income what little there is from sports.

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 07:57:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They don't give athletic scholarships either.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Big Ten is likely announcing in a few days that they're canceling OOC and playing a 10 game conference only schedule.

The dominos are falling. There probably won't be a season at all.

The following users thanked this post: SuperAnjario

Offline sardistim

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 09:19:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • . . . of the end of the college football season in 2020?  According to Keith Morehouse on Channel 3's sports this evening, the Ivy League has cancelled its 2020 football season.  Will other FCS and perhaps FBS leagues soon follow?

It certainly will shift the conversation.  But it follows what several of the Ivy's have already announced for classes.  Harvard is going to go totally remote this fall.  Only freshmen will be on campus.  Having it to themselves will allow them to spread out for dorms, dining halls, and extra curricular activities.  Yale is mostly doing remote.  Princeton is going majority remote.  This is more restrictive than most colleges are publicly saying.

Most colleges are still at least publicly telling students and parents that it will be an on-campus experience this fall with a remote/in-class hybrid.  As a tuition-paying dad, I'm afraid I'm about to be hustled.  Once committed for the semester, I'm afraid my kids' colleges will pull back and go fully remote -- something I and many other parents are not interested in paying full price for.

But football -- and its money -- may save at least my son's experience.  Can't have football without on-campus students.  My daughters' colleges on the other hand don't play football and may be more inclined to go the Ivy way.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 09:29:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don’t see any possible way they will allow a season. If there is one case it will shut that team down. And you know there is going to be a case here and a case there. Everyone runs in one direction now days. Even if they do start the season, it will be disrupted to the point it wont resemble anything we have seen. May play one and miss the next 3.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline herd2win

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 02:10:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • I think I am leaning towards no season at this point...the virus has been an overreaction to how lethal it is...but it is extremely contagious and most of us will get it no matter what we do to avoid it.  I know too many people who have had it and most were very cautious.

Young people recover but just the fact it spreads so easy will keep sports from happening.  Unless you totally isolate and stay in a bubble your chances of getting this are 80%.  If we treated this from the start like the flu instead of scaring everyone the results would be much different.

This will have major financial implications to colleges and universities for years...Stanford just dropped 11 varsity sports and that is a school with $..I can see a lot of current D1 schools dropping down if we don’t have a football season.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If there is no season I think the G5 schools can ride it out easier than the P5. The larger ones have a humongous amount of expense and I realize they have tons of money but that will go away very quick with their volume of spending
    « Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:32:21 PM by ThunderValley »

Offline puma

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 02:55:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn’t worry until you see the SEC cancel the season..Ivy league does not need the income what little there is from sports.

I wonder what will happen if/when they cancel their out-of-conference schedules. The financial implications will travel down stream. Alabama plays Kent St. and Georgia St. on their schedule this year. I'm sure both desperately need the payout. The P5 has enough TV money that they can sustain themselves but I don't see how the G5 can keep things going without butts in seats and money games. The $400,000 of Facebook or mid-week MACtion money wouldn't even cover testing of players and coaches.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 03:29:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think I am leaning towards no season at this point...the virus has been an overreaction to how lethal it is...but it is extremely contagious and most of us will get it no matter what we do to avoid it.  I know too many people who have had it and most were very cautious.

Young people recover but just the fact it spreads so easy will keep sports from happening.  Unless you totally isolate and stay in a bubble your chances of getting this are 80%.  If we treated this from the start like the flu instead of scaring everyone the results would be much different.

This will have major financial implications to colleges and universities for years...Stanford just dropped 11 varsity sports and that is a school with $..I can see a lot of current D1 schools dropping down if we don’t have a football season.

If we'd treated it a Germany, Japan, South Korea, Denmark, etc. THEN the results would've been better. If it'd be treated as te flu, then the results would've been even worse.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: HERD49, gochneaur645

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 03:31:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And there goes the Big 10 OOC.

Offline svherd

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 03:42:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

They cancelled all their OOC games? Wow!

I doubt we play ours now. It’s gonna be a snowball affect.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 03:42:50 PM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 04:28:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Best schedule in a long time with great OOC games plus the 50 year anniversary of the crash...I was really looking forward to ECU, Boise and Pitt...

Offline HuntersvilleHerd

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 04:48:20 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Young people recover but just the fact it spreads so easy will keep sports from happening.  Unless you totally isolate and stay in a bubble your chances of getting this are 80%.  If we treated this from the start like the flu instead of scaring everyone the results would be much different.

Treating it like the flu would have been foolish since it's not like the flu: it's more contagious, and we have no vaccine. Those are big differences. We've already lost 4x more people than the flu kills, and that's with a total shutdown... without one it would have been exponentially higher. That's why expert epidemiologists make these decisions and not you.

As for football, an article in The Athletic quoting AD's said that late July was the expected timeframe for decisions on when and how to play the season, to see how numbers look a few weeks after July 4. But they said even SEC AD's were watching the Ivy League decision, and that the option to move the whole season to the spring was gaining support. But that was a few days ago, and maybe the Big 10's decision will sway things toward a shorter fall season, at least for now. But it's a very fluid situation and there will be more turns in the road.

If we can't have fans and make money, I'd personally rather have Pitt & Boise come another year when we can. But I hope that wouldn't mean waiting 4-5 years.   

The following users thanked this post: HERD49

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 04:54:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Treating it like the flu would have been foolish since it's not like the flu: it's more contagious, and we have no vaccine. Those are big differences. We've already lost 4x more people than the flu kills, and that's with a total shutdown... without one it would have been exponentially higher. That's why expert epidemiologists make these decisions and not you.

As for football, an article in The Athletic quoting AD's said that late July was the expected timeframe for decisions on when and how to play the season, to see how numbers look a few weeks after July 4. But they said even SEC AD's were watching the Ivy League decision, and that the option to move the whole season to the spring was gaining support. But that was a few days ago, and maybe the Big 10's decision will sway things toward a shorter fall season, at least for now. But it's a very fluid situation and there will be more turns in the road.

If we can't have fans and make money, I'd personally rather have Pitt & Boise come another year when we can. But I hope that wouldn't mean waiting 4-5 years.   

usually have 40-60 million cases of flu a year. We are at 3 million covid. Not sure how it’s more contagious?

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline puma

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 05:31:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I wonder how much that's going to cost the G5 and CUSA schools? Losing those money games is going to be devastating to a lot of programs.

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My biggest concern with this...is, does this mean we're stuck with Doc another year?

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My biggest concern with this...is, does this mean we're stuck with Doc another year?

I would say yes.

Offline HuntersvilleHerd

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 05:54:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• usually have 40-60 million cases of flu a year. We are at 3 million covid. Not sure how it’s more contagious?

"While COVID-19 and flu viruses are thought to spread in similar ways, COVID-19 is more contagious among certain populations and age groups than flu. Also, COVID-19 has been observed to have more superspreading events than flu. This means the virus that causes COVID-19 can quickly and easily spread to a lot of people and result in continuous spreading among people as time progresses." -CDC

Those numbers are not apples to apples... the shutdown and subsequent masks/distancing made the Covid infections much lower. Also Covid didn't hit the U.S. until the end of winter, while the flu usually hits at the beginning. That has made the numbers much lower to date as well. But the quote and report are from doctors and scientists at the CDC.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

Offline elginherd

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 06:16:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

A LOL & a probably unfortunately true observation.

Offline puma

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 06:26:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Realistically, it probably means 3 or 4 fewer losses. He won't be fired for a 5 win season if it's conference only.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 06:37:31 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]2
  • "While COVID-19 and flu viruses are thought to spread in similar ways, COVID-19 is more contagious among certain populations and age groups than flu. Also, COVID-19 has been observed to have more superspreading events than flu. This means the virus that causes COVID-19 can quickly and easily spread to a lot of people and result in continuous spreading among people as time progresses." -CDC

Those numbers are not apples to apples... the shutdown and subsequent masks/distancing made the Covid infections much lower. Also Covid didn't hit the U.S. until the end of winter, while the flu usually hits at the beginning. That has made the numbers much lower to date as well. But the quote and report are from doctors and scientists at the CDC.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

CDC is like a weatherman. Continue being wrong and people take every word as gospel. Their stories have changed so many times my head is spinning.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 06:37:31 PM »

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I think we’d be better off for sure if we listened to a dude named herdorbust off the internet about this than the CDC.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2020, 06:59:56 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • The shear misunderstanding about how science works is unbelievable.

The following users thanked this post: GreenSteve, Stripeshrt

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 07:03:59 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]1

• CDC is like a weatherman. Continue being wrong and people take every word as gospel. Their stories have changed so many times my head is spinning.

You realize the CDC has been far more consistent than you are giving it credit for being and the changes and inconsistencies come from us discovering more information about an illness we had never seen until just a few months ago. There are illnesses that modern medicine has been battling for decades that we still learn new things about. With any new illness there is a massive learning curve and information is fluid. That's just how it is until we get more familar with this virus and the disease it causes.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Stripeshrt, HuntersvilleHerd, elginherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 07:03:59 PM »