Author Topic: SHR- - Early concern/speculation regarding College Basketball . . .  (Read 568 times)

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • . . . as we near mid August, 2020.

Interesting article in today's Roanoke (VA) Times indicates that at some local D1 College Basketball Coaches in Virginia are questioning/doubting that the college game will be played at least prior to January, 2021.  Coaches from VA Tech and Radford U. seem to think, or at least suggest, that most, if not all, of the early season, OOC games will not be played.  Radford Coach and also the Coach at VMI worry about the financial problems this will cause those "mid major" schools like theirs if only Conference games will be played in the up coming season.

For example, the article noted that VMI is scheduled to play at both Wake Forest and at VA Tech, and the Keydets are to get $95,000 for the game in Blacksburg.  Radford is scheduled to get $85,000 each for games at NC State and at Penn State.  The Highlanders are also to get $150,000 for playing 4 games in the campus portion of the Hall of Fame Classic/tourney.  Tech's women's head coach related that his team has also seen one in season tourney in which they were to play cancelled and another tourney in Florida is on shaky ground.  Tech is trying to find other opponents to play (I note that MU's women's schedule is apparently not finished and out so perhaps we need to contact Tech, since we've already got a men's game with them at least scheduled on paper).

So, with over 3 months to go before basketball tips off, we already seeing ramifications/problems from the Covid pandemic.  We're bound to see/hear a lot more in the coming days as college football sees more and more games, even seasons, wiped out.

Personally, I'd like to know with payouts, game $$ guarantees that so many mid major teams are able to obtain for playing at "major" schools apparently so readily available to the media, why such info is not made available to the public from the MU Athletic Department?   Anyone else at least a  little curious about what MU is scheduled to get for playing at Tech?  at Xavier?  UK??
    « Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 05:41:36 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

Offline Herdmeister

Re: SHR- - Early concern/speculation regarding College Basketball . . .
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:39:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When talking to our staff they aren't brimming with certainty of a complete season either.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 08:11:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn’t be shocked to see at least 1-2 leagues attempt a bubble concept.

Colleges are going to be mostly if not exclusively virtual this Fall/Spring. Doing a bubble with each school being limited to a total of 20 people... is possible if they can find the right place. Obviously this would be conference only bubbles. But with classes being available from anywhere, it could be done by perhaps 1-2 leagues who have the $$$ to make it happen.

They could probably manage a waiver on eligibility since it’s unlikely that there will be an NCAA Tournament.

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bubbles are working great for the NBA/NHL/MLS.

The problem is you can't have an NCAA bubble without players spending several months away from campus. Then it becomes impossible to argue they're truly student-athletes, which is what athletic departments are most terrified of.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 01:11:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bubbles are working great for the NBA/NHL/MLS.

The problem is you can't have an NCAA bubble without players spending several months away from campus. Then it becomes impossible to argue they're truly student-athletes, which is what athletic departments are most terrified of.
    At Marshall this year only freshman and grad students will be on campus. All others will be on line.
    If we can't play this winter, it wouldn't surprise me to see a few of the power conferees do this. The mid major  onferences and smaller  could in no way afford that
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 01:23:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The problem is you can't have an NCAA bubble without players spending several months away from campus.

There will not be very many students, if any, on campus. With online classes (which may be an exclusive thing this Fall/Spring with the trends of action), this argument, which I would agree with under normal circumstances, is not applicable.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Online elginherd

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 04:05:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At Marshall this year only freshman and grad students will be on campus. All others will be on line.
    If we can't play this winter, it wouldn't surprise me to see a few of the power conferees do this. The mid major  onferences and smaller  could in no way afford that

Two items:
    1) At least mid-major MBB with limited crowds is not as big of a money-suck as would be be for nearly all of G5 FB with limited crowds.

2) There are a few examples of course work for sophomores through seniors which have to be held in person.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 05:47:45 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Presently virtually anyone going in to a Marshall facility must be tested. All athletes, and staff  in all sports must be tested once  per week. As students start arriving they must all be tested as well. Other tha the first time I've not heard of follow up tests.
    Everyone at athletic practices must wear a mask at all times with the exception of the athletes.
    As of tomorrow all fall sports athletes will be on campus. Those arriving tomorrow will begin their isolation period after receiving their first test
    There are some athletes both football and basketball that would like to take their official visits.  They can't do that and must have a  virtual tour of the campus/facilities. They will do a Zoom interview with the coaches.
    These are strange times we are living, for sure
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 05:47:45 PM »