Author Topic: HD - Chuck talks with DD  (Read 3192 times)

Offline herdorbust

Re: HD - Chuck talks with DD
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2020, 12:26:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So IB might not play? Seems like someone tried to get that point across last year.

Well looks here. Sticks his head out once a year.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2020, 12:26:44 PM »

Offline JReese

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2020, 01:18:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Talks with DD about the freshmen and how good they look. Seems like IB has a lot of work to do in taking off more weight. Sounds like he may not play much if he doesn’t.
    Says Goran and Marko are in better shape and looking good.
    I hope we can get in a full season - whenever it may start.

Where is this article? (nevermind, i found it.)
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:32:24 PM by JReese »
    All I have ever truly wanted to be was a great dad.

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #27 on: August 31, 2020, 01:27:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • At no time has Danny said Iran wont play.

Is DD turning into Doc?

Stubbornly sticking to a failed experiment. IB is a terrible fit for hillbilly ball

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2020, 08:36:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Is DD turning into Doc?

Stubbornly sticking to a failed experiment. IB is a terrible fit for hillbilly ball

Go Herd!

I agree. In terms of stubbornness they are exactly alike.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2020, 10:47:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is DD turning into Doc?

Go Herd!

Yes just like him. What a shame huh?

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #30 on: August 31, 2020, 11:43:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes just like him. What a shame huh?

I didn’t write “just like him”.......try reading closely before making snide comments

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline BoydCountyHerdFan

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2020, 08:40:18 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whether IB is in great shape or not, I really don't think it changes much for him in regards to playing time.  Ideally, he would play more minutes when the other team has solid bigs that need a body laid on them.  During most of those games, IB will likely stay in foul trouble so the minutes won't change much.  He is a 14-16 minute or less per game guy this year.  Last year he averaged 20 minutes per game but now Goran, who averaged only about 10 minutes per game, has developed a little and should take some of those minutes.  As was the case last year, Marshall will be successful when they shoot the ball well and have good flow to the offense. It does seem IB tends to "settle" on the block more often than I'd like which takes other guys out of the flow a bit, and that doesn't seems to happen as much with Goran.  I'd expect to see Goran take more and more minutes from IB as the year progresses.

We seem to have a good mix at guard with Andy, Jerrod and Taevion,  Those guys are the glue to hold this team together.  They'll all probably play 30 minutes plus per game as they did last year.  Still the most important spot on the floor for the Herd is that mix at the PF spots.  Jannson, Mikel, Darius, Marko, and now Obinna will all compete for time in that spot. Hopefully Jannson and Mikel shoot the ball well because we are much better when those two guys are playing.  They both add length and the ability to knock down shots from the perimeter.  Geez, I can't wait for some hoops action.  Go Herd.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, whf, Herdmeister, JReese

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whether IB is in great shape or not, I really don't think it changes much for him in regards to playing time.  Ideally, he would play more minutes when the other team has solid bigs that need a body laid on them.  During most of those games, IB will likely stay in foul trouble so the minutes won't change much.  He is a 14-16 minute or less per game guy this year.  Last year he averaged 20 minutes per game but now Goran, who averaged only about 10 minutes per game, has developed a little and should take some of those minutes.  As was the case last year, Marshall will be successful when they shoot the ball well and have good flow to the offense. It does seem IB tends to "settle" on the block more often than I'd like which takes other guys out of the flow a bit, and that doesn't seems to happen as much with Goran.  I'd expect to see Goran take more and more minutes from IB as the year progresses.

We seem to have a good mix at guard with Andy, Jerrod and Taevion,  Those guys are the glue to hold this team together.  They'll all probably play 30 minutes plus per game as they did last year.  Still the most important spot on the floor for the Herd is that mix at the PF spots.  Jannson, Mikel, Darius, Marko, and now Obinna will all compete for time in that spot. Hopefully Jannson and Mikel shoot the ball well because we are much better when those two guys are playing.  They both add length and the ability to knock down shots from the perimeter.  Geez, I can't wait for some hoops action.  Go Herd.

My feelings exactly.

four days from kickoff and the start of football and I find I'm far more interested in what's happening with Hoops.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Herdmeister, The E-Man

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #33 on: September 01, 2020, 10:47:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My feelings exactly.

four days from kickoff and the start of football and I find I'm far more interested in what's happening with Hoops.

Hamrick is to blame for the decline of Herd football

This is the least interest I’ve had in football since the 80s

The following users thanked this post: MUtim, mr_ash_1995, wasbarryb, The E-Man, herdfan129

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #34 on: September 01, 2020, 10:49:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Goran isn’t a great fit for hillbilly ball either

I really hope Obinna steps up and takes the 5

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, pembrook burrows III

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2020, 11:08:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I agree completely on the offensive end. Defensively we are toast against quality inside players. But I guess you have to choose your poison until we can get a guy that can play offense and is also able to body up and keep the guy in front of him on defense inside. Hopefully Obinna will fill out and give us that guy. We can get by in CUSA and most OOC games. It’s tough to win when you are playing a talented big and strong front court if you can’t stop them and body up.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2020, 11:45:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • David Early is an intriguing player at 6-4, 235. He can shoot it, bang inside and drive the ball to the basket.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2020, 11:45:31 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2020, 11:48:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • David Early is an intriguing player at 6-4, 235. He can shoot it, bang inside and drive the ball to the basket.

I agree. I think him and Obinna will take Marshall basketball to new heights before they leave here.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Hazer74

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]0

• I agree. I think him and Obinna will take Marshall basketball to new heights before they leave here.
    It will be soon than later the logan county boys will see more and more playing time

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline BoydCountyHerdFan

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2020, 01:44:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We still lack enough knock down shooters to make a big time splash.  Consistently poor shooting could be an issue again this year but I certainly hope not.  We shot right around 30% from 3pt range last year and about 66% from the FT line.  This off season the guys have had to limit gym exposure due to Covid so I just don't see those numbers changing much for the better.  The guys we have just weren't able to knock down shots consistently last year. At times, when shots were falling, we looked like a million bucks. Maybe Early can shoot it a bit better than some of these guys but his shooting touch isn't what made him great in high school (he shot it decent though and seemed to have nice range). His ability to drive and over power his opponents made him special.

I really can't expect Obinna to be ready to play the 5 for The Herd this year.  Coming in as a true freshmen and having to bang with the big boys on the defensive end day one could put him in a no-win situation.  He is more of a 4 than a 5 it seems even though I understand that on the offensive end, he does better fit the system than anyone else we have.

Online elginherd

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2020, 07:56:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boyd,
    Shooting was an issue last year...especially at the foul line.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2020, 12:42:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boyd County and elginherd, spot on regarding the shooting aspect of our game.

In fact, to me that has to be the number ONE priority of Danny D. and staff in recruiting for 2021-22.  We lose Williams and Byers, arguably our best outside shooters from the front line.  Losing West also from the backcourt, who has a decent outside game.  Hopefully, Marko and Kinsey's shooting and outside game will improve with more game experience as the season progresses.  IMO, another sharpshooter in the backcourt (can you say Loooooooooooooop?) and a good shooting forward, with decent size, has to be at the top of Danny's recruiting "wish list"!!

The following users thanked this post: pembrook burrows III

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2020, 08:08:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hamrick is to blame for the decline of Herd football

This is the least interest I’ve had in football since the 80s
    I sadly agree. For over 10 years I never missed a home or away game. It was such fun to spend a weekend in Houston, El Paso, New Orleans etc. Last year I attended 1 home game (Ohio) and one road trip to Murfreesboro.
    I have no football plans for the season that begin Saturday
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I sadly agree. For over 10 years I never missed a home or away game. It was such fun to spend a weekend in Houston, El Paso, New Orleans etc. Last year I attended 1 home game (Ohio) and one road trip to Murfreesboro.
    I have no football plans for the season that begin Saturday

Me and a Doctor at work we’re talking about this same thing. Used to be at the hospital and anywhere you went right before football season, that was all anyone was talking about. Now, honestly there is no talk at all from people that used to be huge fans. They are either done or just don’t have any excitement and expectations anymore.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ‘bust, I totally agree watching ‘Doc ball’ is like watching paint dry, and I understand your comment and discussion with a doctor associate, but I truly believe what really changed the states entire image and dialogue happened when WVU ‘finally’ got into a major conference. Granted it is the weakest of of the power 5, but it truly changed the WV mindset...the state went all in.
    We the Marshall ‘Universe’ need to hang tight...there’s always a brighter day!

Online elginherd

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boyd County and elginherd, spot on regarding the shooting aspect of our game.

In fact, to me that has to be the number ONE priority of Danny D. and staff in recruiting for 2021-22.  We lose Williams and Byers, arguably our best outside shooters from the front line.  Losing West also from the backcourt, who has a decent outside game.  Hopefully, Marko and Kinsey's shooting and outside game will improve with more game experience as the season progresses.  IMO, another sharpshooter in the backcourt (can you say Loooooooooooooop?) and a good shooting forward, with decent size, has to be at the top of Danny's recruiting "wish list"!!

I'm hoping that Byers' performance consistently approaches his potential. The dude has the purist stroke on the roster and is very athletic. For whatever reasons, he tends to be tentative in games on both ends of the floor.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2020, 11:21:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ‘bust, I totally agree watching ‘Doc ball’ is like watching paint dry, and I understand your comment and discussion with a doctor associate, but I truly believe what really changed the states entire image and dialogue happened when WVU ‘finally’ got into a major conference. Granted it is the weakest of of the power 5, but it truly changed the WV mindset...the state went all in.
    We the Marshall ‘Universe’ need to hang tight...there’s always a brighter day!

I honestly don’t think that has anything to do with it. The people I know that used to be rabid fans still are. But they just don’t care anymore with Doc at the helm. They have seen enough. We can still be a Boise St or Appy St getting ranked every year and highly thought of nationally but it’s going to take a new coach to bring that fire back to the program and it’s fanbase jmo.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUtim, parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2020, 11:21:43 AM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2020, 11:33:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes I totally agree we can and should be the Boise or Appy program...I do believe coaching and athletic administrators have this responsibility on their shoulders...i do understand the ‘principle’ of participating with success, or the perception thereof and with our state driven media and the people’s desire to participate in/with success those who were once on the fence have jumped into the bigger arena...that being said, Pruett, as I was told by a WVU friend when he resigned was an ‘anomaly’...they said, “don’t look for that to happen again anytime soon again”...
    I hoping!👍

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes I totally agree we can and should be the Boise or Appy program...I do believe coaching and athletic administrators have this responsibility on their shoulders...i do understand the ‘principle’ of participating with success, or the perception thereof and with our state driven media and the people’s desire to participate in/with success those who were once on the fence have jumped into the bigger arena...that being said, Pruett, as I was told by a WVU friend when he resigned was an ‘anomaly’...they said, “don’t look for that to happen again anytime soon again”...
    I hoping!👍

We certainly hit home runs with Donnan and Bobby, esp. back to back. I don't think it will be impossible to replicate that success, but it certainly will be difficult because of our limited ability to pay major $ like UCF, lack of a recruiting base (although I'm pleased local kids seem to be ready to step up this year) and the slippage we've had in the past several years in our level of success.  We need to hire a Neil Brown type up and comer, but those are few and far between.  Plus, even he has not proven himself and the last time WVU hired a wunderkind (Dana H.) it didn't work out even with all the pre-hire positives. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, The E-Man

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2020, 12:02:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Comparing a 70’s - 80’s ford/Chevy technology with a new 2020 any car. Yes they both run. Yes they both can take you and your family to Columbus or Miami, but which car would be the pick of anyone to take that trip in...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2020, 12:02:07 PM »