Author Topic: HD - Chuck talks with DD  (Read 3222 times)

Offline svherd

Re: HD - Chuck talks with DD
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We certainly hit home runs with Donnan and Bobby, esp. back to back. I don't think it will be impossible to replicate that success, but it certainly will be difficult because of our limited ability to pay major $ like UCF, lack of a recruiting base (although I'm pleased local kids seem to be ready to step up this year) and the slippage we've had in the past several years in our level of success.  We need to hire a Neil Brown type up and comer, but those are few and far between.  Plus, even he has not proven himself and the last time WVU hired a wunderkind (Dana H.) it didn't work out even with all the pre-hire positives.

Agree. We'll have to take a gamble on a young guy that has had success where he's been, whether as an FCS HC or D1 OC. Someone with a fire in the belly to prove himself. Gerad Parker wouldn't be bad. I'd say the next guy will make 1Mil. I am sure a very good FCS coach would jump at that, double his salary with a solid program and support. My concern is that our next HC is already on staff. I doubt Mike's ambition to conduct a true national search.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2020, 01:14:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree. We'll have to take a gamble on a young guy that has had success where he's been, whether as an FCS HC or D1 OC. Someone with a fire in the belly to prove himself. Gerad Parker wouldn't be bad. I'd say the next guy will make 1Mil. I am sure a very good FCS coach would jump at that, double his salary with a solid program and support. My concern is that our next HC is already on staff. I doubt Mike's ambition to conduct a true national search.

We may be able to pay $1mil for the next head coach, but major coordinators at P5 schools already make that or more.  Unless they want to move up in responsibility - and many may very well - then that limits the pool.  Mike's between a rock and a hard place in that he will want the best coach possible, but he also wants someone that will stay more than 2-3 years.  He got that with Doc and with Danny, with both being "thinking outside the box" choices.  I agree that he might follow that same pattern and try to think outside the box, but I have no doubt that he will do what he thinks is best for the university.  Whether you or I agree with his decision is another matter - I was very concerned/skeptical of his hire of DD, and was certainly proven wrong.  I've enjoyed MU basketball more the past few years than I have since mid-1980s.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #52 on: September 02, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm hoping that Byers' performance consistently approaches his potential. The dude has the purist stroke on the roster and is very athletic. For whatever reasons, he tends to be tentative in games on both ends of the floor.

If he’s worked on his D he can be a great player

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdorbust

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2020, 01:56:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • We may be able to pay $1mil for the next head coach, but major coordinators at P5 schools already make that or more.  Unless they want to move up in responsibility - and many may very well - then that limits the pool.  Mike's between a rock and a hard place in that he will want the best coach possible, but he also wants someone that will stay more than 2-3 years.  He got that with Doc and with Danny, with both being "thinking outside the box" choices.  I agree that he might follow that same pattern and try to think outside the box, but I have no doubt that he will do what he thinks is best for the university.  Whether you or I agree with his decision is another matter - I was very concerned/skeptical of his hire of DD, and was certainly proven wrong.  I've enjoyed MU basketball more the past few years than I have since mid-1980s.

Mike H didnt want DD , still doesnt . When things are outside of his control , things usually works out.
    « Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:57:32 PM by Taft#1 »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mike H didnt want DD , still doesnt . When things are outside of his control , things usually works out.

I talked with Mike at length about DD's hiring at the Greenbrier Big Green event that year.  He wanted Mike, for sure, but Danny was his 2nd choice. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2020, 02:59:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Comparing a 70’s - 80’s ford/Chevy technology with a new 2020 any car. Yes they both run. Yes they both can take you and your family to Columbus or Miami, but which car would be the pick of anyone to take that trip in...

I'd pick any one of several 1970 Muscle Cars.

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2020, 03:08:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Though there will be no surprises, only Marshall and ODU have not posted their 2020-2021 basketball rosters on their respective school websites. All other conference schools have their rosters updated. I see that Coach Stans has brought on son Noah as a freshman walk-on for the Toppers this year. Unfortunately, WKU also boasts the return of Hollingsworth, Bassey, Williams, Anderson, and Rawls, plus transfers Kenny Cooper and Luke Frampton, making them the team to beat in CUSA. Hopefully, we can count on Stans to screw his team up like he has in past seasons.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Herdmeister

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2020, 03:14:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Though there will be no surprises, only Marshall and ODU have not posted their 2020-2021 basketball rosters on their respective school websites.

I'm sure that ODU is way busy getting ready for football. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I talked with Mike at length about DD's hiring at the Greenbrier Big Green event that year.  He wanted Mike, for sure, but Danny was his 2nd choice.
    Now ask Danny the real story
    I've heard Hamrick story and it is far different than Danny's
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, herdorbust

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now ask Danny the real story
    I've heard Hamrick story and it is far different than Danny's

I suppose only 3 people know the truth, but Mike says he visited with both Danny and Mike at Mike's house in LA in 2014.  Mike had just been let go by LA, and there was a concern that LA wouldn't pay him what his contract called for if he took another job, plus he wanted one more shot at the NBA.  Mike says that Danny promised to play "D'Antoni ball" and either keep or get an older coach that could help him with recruiting - which turned out to be Mark Cline.  Mike didn't say, but I inferred that Danny also agreed to take less than market value to help out the program, at least for a while. 

Of course, I'm getting this at least 2nd hand so I don't doubt that the actual events may have been different. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, whf

Offline coalherd

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2020, 05:10:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We may be able to pay $1mil for the next head coach, but major coordinators at P5 schools already make that or more.  Unless they want to move up in responsibility - and many may very well - then that limits the pool.  Mike's between a rock and a hard place in that he will want the best coach possible, but he also wants someone that will stay more than 2-3 years.  He got that with Doc and with Danny, with both being "thinking outside the box" choices.  I agree that he might follow that same pattern and try to think outside the box, but I have no doubt that he will do what he thinks is best for the university.  Whether you or I agree with his decision is another matter - I was very concerned/skeptical of his hire of DD, and was certainly proven wrong.  I've enjoyed MU basketball more the past few years than I have since mid-1980s.

Probably correct if we are to attract one of the very top, and best, FCS head coaches.  Just wonder what ECU paid to get Mike Houston as their HC away from JMU, where he had great success, fan support, and resources, probably in the top 3 in all of FCS!

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Probably correct if we are to attract one of the very top, and best, FCS head coaches.  Just wonder what ECU paid to get Mike Houston as their HC away from JMU, where he had great success, fan support, and resources, probably in the top 3 in all of FCS!

From 24/7:

2019: $1.3 million total ($500K base, $350K broadcast, $225K season tickets, $225K Pirate Club)

2020: $1.38 million total ($500K base, $385K broadcast, $247,500 season tickets, $247,500 Pirate Club)

2021: $1.468 million total ($500K base, $423,500 broadcast, $272,250 season tickets, $272,250 Pirate Club)

2022: $1.564 million total ($500K base, $465,850 broadcast, $299,475 season tickets, $299,475 Pirate Club)

2023: $1.671 million total ($500K base, $512,435 broadcast, $329,422 season tickets, $329,422 Pirate Club)

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Though there will be no surprises, only Marshall and ODU have not posted their 2020-2021 basketball rosters on their respective school websites. All other conference schools have their rosters updated. I see that Coach Stans has brought on son Noah as a freshman walk-on for the Toppers this year. Unfortunately, WKU also boasts the return of Hollingsworth, Bassey, Williams, Anderson, and Rawls, plus transfers Kenny Cooper and Luke Frampton, making them the team to beat in CUSA. Hopefully, we can count on Stans to screw his team up like he has in past seasons.

PBIII, is Frampton eligible for the whole season?  Did he qualify for, and get, a NCAA waiver, or did he need one?

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • PBIII, is Frampton eligible for the whole season?  Did he qualify for, and get, a NCAA waiver, or did he need one?

Jeff Goodman reports that the NCAA is overwhelmingly approving transfer waivers:

Approved: 90
    Pending: 131
    Denied: 3

Unless the NCAA starts buckling down, which I doubt it will, it doesn't really appear that there is any reason Frampton won't play for WKU this year. 

- E-Man

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2020, 07:06:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Comparing a 70’s - 80’s ford/Chevy technology with a new 2020 any car. Yes they both run. Yes they both can take you and your family to Columbus or Miami, but which car would be the pick of anyone to take that trip in...
    I wouldn't mind driving my 71 Nova.....only negative was it didn't have air or an automatic.....but at the time I was a very young man and it was my first new car......

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2020, 07:20:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I suppose only 3 people know the truth, but Mike says he visited with both Danny and Mike at Mike's house in LA in 2014.  Mike had just been let go by LA, and there was a concern that LA wouldn't pay him what his contract called for if he took another job, plus he wanted one more shot at the NBA.  Mike says that Danny promised to play "D'Antoni ball" and either keep or get an older coach that could help him with recruiting - which turned out to be Mark Cline.  Mike didn't say, but I inferred that Danny also agreed to take less than market value to help out the program, at least for a while. 

Of course, I'm getting this at least 2nd hand so I don't doubt that the actual events may have been different.
    Mike had not been let go. If he quit to take the Marshall job LA wouldn't have to pay the 10 million to him. Shortly after Danny was hired LA released Mike and paid the 10 million.
    Danny was not offered the job until after Hamrick returned to Huntington.
    I will not say exactly how it went down. When I told Danny the story that you just told, the Hamrick version, he laughed and told me the real story. I would imagine he would tell you as well but he did not tell me I could repeat it. Until he tells me that I will not. He tells us many things and some he asks we not repeat. Others he say sis ok. He made no comment on this one
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2020, 07:23:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mike had not been let go. If he quit to take the Marshall job LA wouldn't have to pay the 10 million to him. Shortly after Danny was hired LA released Mike and paid the 10 million.
    I will not say exactly how it went down. When I told Danny the story that you just told, the Hamrick version, he laughed and told me the real story. I would imagine he would tell you as well but he did not tell me I could repeat it. Until he tells me that I will not. He tells us many things and some he asks we not repeat. Others he say sis ok. He made no comment on this one
    I like people of integrity Herdmeister!!!!! As a church deacon in our previous church I was told things that haven't even told my wife of over 48+ years.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, The E-Man

Online elginherd

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2020, 08:06:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mike had not been let go. If he quit to take the Marshall job LA wouldn't have to pay the 10 million to him. Shortly after Danny was hired LA released Mike and paid the 10 million.

I will say this: IMHO, DD is much, MUCH better suited to be a head CBB than MD. MD is pretty good with a mic in front of him, DD is better. DD's career in the NBA was centered around player development Some idiots on this board do not realize the commitment that a lot of NBA programs have for this. We lucked out with DD.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2020, 09:12:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I can vouch for herdmeister because I was there also.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will say this: IMHO, DD is much, MUCH better suited to be a head CBB than MD. MD is pretty good with a mic in front of him, DD is better. DD's career in the NBA was centered around player development Some idiots on this board do not realize the commitment that a lot of NBA programs have for this. We lucked out with DD.

Some of us were talking about this at practice one day. I really wanted Mike and was a little dissapointed we didn’t get him and hired Danny. But after watching him teach and just his way of bringing out individuals and team, I quickly changed my mind. I can guarantee anyone that the more you watch him the more impressed you will be. He misses nothing in practice. I’ve went to practices all the way back to Freeman until now and none of them teaches the little things and explains why things are done close to what he does.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2020, 10:27:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You’re right - I had forgotten that Mike was playing chicken with the Lakers. 

- E-Man

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2020, 12:08:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love DD...it would be awesome if MD took over when DD decides to retire.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2020, 12:08:12 AM »

Online DC01HERD

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2020, 09:39:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obinna and Early will be difference-makers right away into their Marshall careers.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man, herdorbust

Offline coalherd

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2020, 10:07:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love DD...it would be awesome if MD took over when DD decides to retire.

Well, Mike D. may SOON be available because unless his Rockets can find a miracle way to knock off LeBron and the Lakers in the NBA playoffs, he's no doubt gone in Houston.  Word is Rockets ownership wants to go in a new direction so unless Houston wins the NBA title, Mike D. won't be coaching there next season.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2020, 08:07:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, Mike D. may SOON be available because unless his Rockets can find a miracle way to knock off LeBron and the Lakers in the NBA playoffs, he's no doubt gone in Houston.  Word is Rockets ownership wants to go in a new direction so unless Houston wins the NBA title, Mike D. won't be coaching there next season.

It is being reported by many outlets that Mike will be the head coach of the Pacers next year
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2020, 08:07:59 AM »