Author Topic: Let's check in on our friends at ODU football...  (Read 996 times)

Offline CoachMaclid

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 04:00:07 AM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Big City, parshall2marshall, Johns1124, HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

Let's check in on our friends at ODU football...
« on: September 03, 2020, 03:58:36 AM »

Offline Scottyo614

Re: Let's check in on our friends at ODU football...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 07:33:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For a program struggling at this level this could be the move that crushes them in football.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Online herd2win

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 08:23:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just shows how things can change quickly.  They went from sold out stadium with a waiting list for season tickets prior to joining CUSA to this. 

Offline svherd

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 08:29:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But they have potential.  :D

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 08:46:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They have the TV market! Going to increase our revenue!

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, herdfan129

Offline MUonium

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 08:56:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i guess the jury is still out on UAB, but so far...
    who knows what the future holds for OD-  another wicked good strategy, lemons to lemonade or and O.D.  ;D 

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:14:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be surprising if ODU plays another down of football in C-USA.  If an eastern based all sports D1 conference cannot be put together, then I could see them dropping back down to the FCS level.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline elginherd

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 09:45:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be surprising if ODU plays another down of football in C-USA.  If an eastern based all sports D1 conference cannot be put together, then I could see them dropping back down to the FCS level.

Honestly, most of the current CUSA should be playing FCS FB.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: HaveUherd

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

They're in the middle of building a $65+ million stadium.  They aren't going anywhere. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, HoPPy785

Offline svherd

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 10:54:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They're in the middle of building a $65+ million stadium.  They aren't going anywhere.

What I find funny about that is they only increased the seating to 22K, about 1K more than they had previously. Obviously, the suites and such are nice but for such a highly populated area and a school with reportedly so much potential, that seems a total waste of all those funds to only increase by 1K seats. You would think the demand would be much greater; obviously not.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 11:20:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They didn’t understand the disaster this conference was when they came. Probably just went by name recognition and now they’ve surely realized that they really screwed up.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 11:21:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just shows how things can change quickly.  They went from sold out stadium with a waiting list for season tickets prior to joining CUSA to this.

C-USA is becoming the make or break conference.

Either make it to a better conference quickly or fall down.

I'm not too happy about how things look for us in that respect.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 11:21:46 AM »

Offline puma

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 11:45:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They didn’t understand the disaster this conference was when they came. Probably just went by name recognition and now they’ve surely realized that they really screwed up.

I'd love to read a post-mortem on that decision by the all of the C-USA newcomers, especially the Sunbelt refugees. Did they think the TV money or brand would be worth anything when everybody jumped ship to the AAC and were in-filled with new programs, FCS schools, and Sunbelt transfers?

The following users thanked this post: svherd, HaveUherd

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 01:19:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What I find funny about that is they only increased the seating to 22K, about 1K more than they had previously. Obviously, the suites and such are nice but for such a highly populated area and a school with reportedly so much potential, that seems a total waste of all those funds to only increase by 1K seats. You would think the demand would be much greater; obviously not.

Demand was great when they were the new toy, but they never built a consistent brand of winning. They’ve had moments (Va Tech) but overall you have to win to bring fans.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline elginherd

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They're in the middle of building a $65+ million stadium.  They aren't going anywhere.

Some FCS programs have built nice facilities. I don't really think that the 65 million spent will be any major deciding factor on decisions about their FB program.

The following users thanked this post: Big City, whf

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 02:16:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What I find funny about that is they only increased the seating to 22K, about 1K more than they had previously. Obviously, the suites and such are nice but for such a highly populated area and a school with reportedly so much potential, that seems a total waste of all those funds to only increase by 1K seats. You would think the demand would be much greater; obviously not.
    Although they added on 1000 seats the revised edition is far better than the stadium they had.
    One thing I have liked down there is that they have so much room inside the gates that theu have food trucks on the property virtually 30 feet from the stadium concessions. It makes for some very good food choices
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline whf

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 03:06:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Went down the first year they were in the league, didn't find the stadium at all attendee friendly, seemed like seats were 16 inch seats, a 15,000 capacity stadium with a seating chart of 20,000.  Bathrooms were limited, and unlike Herdmeister, couldn't find food that could be got without 20 to 30 minutes in line; left at half time when MU was up by (if I remember correctly) 28 to 0.

Campus was great, tailgating in the interior of the campus reminded me of SMU.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 03:21:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Went down the first year they were in the league, didn't find the stadium at all attendee friendly, seemed like seats were 16 inch seats, a 15,000 capacity stadium with a seating chart of 20,000.  Bathrooms were limited, and unlike Herdmeister, couldn't find food that could be got without 20 to 30 minutes in line; left at half time when MU was up by (if I remember correctly) 28 to 0.

Campus was great, tailgating in the interior of the campus reminded me of SMU.
    I was aat that game. Things got much better the 2nd and 3rd time we were there.
    I was there the last game played in the old stadium. No comparison to our first visit there as far as food choices were concerned.
    In basketball they have by far the nicest arena in the league
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline whf

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 03:47:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think they have a new attempt at a good FCS league on their minds.  We all need to remember that MANY schools are doing just fine, just like we did for years, at the FCS football level. Fans come to see their schools play whomever is on the schedule, rivalries are great in many of those leagues, an the best teams far surpass the bottom feeders of FBS (particularly C-USA, MAC and SunBelt bottom feeders).  Basketball is better in many cases that several FBS football, mid-major basketball, conferences, including ours.

If G5 separated from P5, included FCS, college football wouldn't see a bit of difference.  Media outlets still need the games, and the playing for national championship in football could easily expand by another four teams.  Conferences could realign, costs would drop considerably, play on the field would be just as good as P5 can only take so many players anyway; the kids have to go somewhere.

Say what you will, but ODU has good leadership in their Athletic Department and they'll come out fine for the alumni overall, IMHO.

The following users thanked this post: elginherd, GreenDaddy

Offline billybob

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 08:31:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • they're not going anywhere. If anything I think you will be surprised in a couple years to see where they are. I live in the area and have friends who with ties to the program. It is my understanding that they were more than okay with delaying the season. They have a new coach and a young team. They apparently wanted to give the new coach more time to bring a winner to the field. They are viewing this as a reset for the program.

Offline whf

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 08:52:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • they're not going anywhere. If anything I think you will be surprised in a couple years to see where they are. I live in the area and have friends who with ties to the program. It is my understanding that they were more than okay with delaying the season. They have a new coach and a young team. They apparently wanted to give the new coach more time to bring a winner to the field. They are viewing this as a reset for the program.
    So, are you saying they used a pandemic to further their own well-being as a football program?  Now that is really sad, if true.  They decided so early that it sounds plausible and probable.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 09:12:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, are you saying they used a pandemic to further their own well-being as a football program?  Now that is really sad, if true.  They decided so early that it sounds plausible and probable.

WFH,
    Discrepant events do give the opportunity for people & organizations to rethink & redefine their stategies & goals. The composition of CUSA is not a natural fit for many if not all of its membership. If the pandemic allows ODU the opportunity, excuse, whatever to realistically access their standing in the pecking order of CFB, that is not sad; but in fact smart.

Gotta remember, they unilaterally made the decision to cancel fall sports. That demostrates the amount of regard they afford their membership in the CUSA. And to be honest in this collection of Misfit Toys (forever grateful for that piece Thundering In Md!!!), that is the POV that every member of this crappy conference needs to adapt.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 09:12:35 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 10:27:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They have the TV market! Going to increase our revenue!

Ummm, yes, just the same way that FIU and FAU were going to deliver the huge greater South Florida/Greater Miami TV Market and all of its attendant Revenue $$$$$$$ to CUSA!!!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline billybob

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 10:30:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have business ties in the construction industry in hampton roads. A number of these contacts are donors within the program. As it was explained to me - they cancelled the seasons for the reasons mentioned above. The other justification was that they would save considerable money not having a season for non-revenue sports. The thought is that when they do resume sports the conference would look very different than it does now. That difference would be a more geographical bases league. So, in a lot of ways it makes a ton of sense what they have done. It is short term pain for long term gain.

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96, elginherd

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 10:43:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have business ties in the construction industry in hampton roads. A number of these contacts are donors within the program. As it was explained to me - they cancelled the seasons for the reasons mentioned above. The other justification was that they would save considerable money not having a season for non-revenue sports. The thought is that when they do resume sports the conference would look very different than it does now. That difference would be a more geographical bases league. So, in a lot of ways it makes a ton of sense what they have done. It is short term pain for long term gain.

You have my attention.  :)

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 10:43:01 PM »