Author Topic: No opinions on this board about Cole Pennington?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline MUonium

No opinions on this board about Cole Pennington?
« on: September 03, 2020, 08:28:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know anything about him or his game.  College days are a long way off.  With a name like Smuckers Pennington, it's got to be good  or  the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?

I have no clue about if he's a QB only guy or if he'd play other positions.  No doubt, more QBs will be recruited between now and then. 

Only thoughts or complications i have are the current situation where the current players get an extra year of eligibility and if there would be a HC change between now and then.  So, in a fantasy world, potentially having two sparks to ignite a program would be extremely welcome and intriguing

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« on: September 03, 2020, 08:28:38 AM »

Offline svherd

Re: No opinions on this board about Cole Pennington?
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 08:33:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This a good move by the program. I don’t care if he can’t throw it 10 yards, you offer the son of one of the greats if not the greatest MU football player ever. I would be confident in saying the kid is very smart, knows the game like his dad and would be a solid teammate.

That and it gets Chad back involved with the program. We need to see he, Lefty, Moss, Troy Brown, Curry and many more engaged regularly with this program. Why they don’t come around anymore is anyone’s guess.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: SouthernHerd, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, HaveUherd, herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love the offer. Its still way early, but he looks just like Chad, and clearly has the genetics to be great, but who knows. But that kid is welcome here regardless in my eyes, give him a scholarship if he can't throw a ball 10 yards. I will say that his stats are very mediocre, even for a sophomore, but that doesn't mean he can't and won't make strides. I saw he has been working with the dolphin's QB coach and obviously his Dad, so he can get better quick. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man, lincolndds

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 09:00:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any game film on Cole or Bradshaws son?

Offline herd2win

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:11:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Smart move and a good move...you want leadership in the qb position and we can bet with certainty that he will have that...He has the best mentor possible.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, The E-Man

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 09:39:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline MUonium

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • no surprise in Bradshaw.  at first glance, looks like he combines great traits: good vision, speed burst, speed and power

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline banker

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Watching film of Cole, remembering it was his sophomore year last season, he plays a lot like Chad. Not a huge arm, but two years to get stronger. They run an offense that looks a lot like what Chad ran here. He throws a lot of quick slants, posts and other interior routes. He has accuracy.

The thing you know about him is that he will have great mentoring on how to be a leader and a strong understanding of what it takes to be successful. He will know success comes from preparation.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, parshall2marshall, svherd, The E-Man

Offline herd1986

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 05:27:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I think we need to start a: “We Want Cole” and “We Want Xayvion” campaign.  I’m going to put a sign in the front window of my downtown Huntington building.  Maybe even have an electronic sign, or billboard, that counts down the days until they can sign or enroll.  You just have to know that they are likely to be good.  Certainly, worth taking the risk.  And for those of you that are going to say watch out for the NCAA, I say it’s my First Amendment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    « Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:31:20 PM by herd1986 »

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 06:57:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What if the master plan is to bring Chad in to replace Doc?

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 06:59:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I certainly hope not , kinda early dont cha think ?

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You should always offer a legend's kid and be completely understanding if the get an offer where they will not have to be in the father's shadow.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Go out to Twitter. Cole used to have some workouts of his out there. He has an awesome facility on his property to work out in and of course the best instructor.  But he also has some good coaching outside of Chad according to Chad.   They are such an awesome family.  Great people outside of football. 

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 09:16:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I certainly hope not , kinda early dont cha think ?

No. He’d reenergize the program and be better than John on day 1.

The following users thanked this post: SouthernHerd, DC01HERD, Herdalum83

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 11:26:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We can only hope that Hamrick is that smart.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: HaveUherd

Offline banker

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 12:15:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don’t understand how anyone would think Chad wouldn’t be successful even with no head coaching experience.

His leadership is off the chart. His work ethic is off the chart. His intelligence is off the chart. His football IQ is off the chart. His personality is off the chart.  What parent wouldn’t want their kid playing for him?  What up and coming assistant coach wouldn’t want to work for him?  What player wouldn’t buy in to what he’s selling given his resume and leadership?  He would also be great with donors, alumni and the press.

The guy is a winner on and off the field. I can’t imagine a scenario where he would fail as a coach.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 12:29:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No. He’d reenergize the program and be better than John on day 1.

Someone who has only coached at a private school level for two years ? thats the point Marshall football has dropped to ? Let the guy coach , at least as assistant coach , at the college level first , then possibly give him a look. He may energize the fans but getting the players to buy into a private school HS coach might be a little harder.

Offline ed swain

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 12:53:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He should recruit ,but leave the coaching to his staff until he is comfortable he can do the job.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cole Pennington - upside / understands the pocket and how to create different launch points from it.  Uses the whole pocket to create advantages in the passing game.  / level of competition suspect / need to see Cole play a top notch Hs Fball team / has high growth potential / son of a NFL Qb who was very successful in the passing game amongst other things / good offer and could be a huge get down road

Offline banker

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 08:37:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone who has only coached at a private school level for two years ? thats the point Marshall football has dropped to ? Let the guy coach , at least as assistant coach , at the college level first , then possibly give him a look. He may energize the fans but getting the players to buy into a private school HS coach might be a little harder.

Well, that’s one way to look at it. Another might be would players buy in to a guy who was a Heisman finalist, led Marshall to a top 10 finish and an undefeated season, and was an NFL QB for 11 years?  A guy who could talk for 5 minutes and everyone in the room would realize that his football knowledge is greater than everyone else in the meeting.

Again, the guy is a leader and a motivator.  Getting the players on board would be the easiest part. If anything was going to be an issue I would say it would be putting a staff together, but then again his network from being around the nfl so long is extensive. Contacts create additional levels of contacts.

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum83, lincolndds

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 08:53:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chad Pennington as HC would not take the Herd football program down further than it is now.  I see far more upside than a spiraling out of control situation.  Sometimes it’s about the right person at the right time.  Chad has plenty of contacts.  I would never worry about the quality of his hires. 

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 08:53:42 AM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 09:32:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chad will be successful with anything he chooses to do.

Offline lincolndds

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 09:43:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know nothing about Chad's coaching experience or expertise. However, I have heard him speak at many Marshall events and believe that he could convince anybody to run through a brick wall for him. I think that's what our program needs right now. Somebody the team will look up to and respect. His football IQ is obviously through the roof and he could bring in the coaches he knows he would need to help him along the way. You can't tell me he couldn't convince some of our former big name players (that have been absent for quite some time) to come in and talk to the team, donors, etc. Just my 2 cents.

The following users thanked this post: HaveUherd

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2020, 09:55:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2020, 09:55:17 AM »