Author Topic: Ok, be honest, who anticipate this today?  (Read 773 times)

Offline Huffnagel

Ok, be honest, who anticipate this today?
« on: September 05, 2020, 04:27:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know it was EKU, but holy crap ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have found ourselves a QB to lead this team that was running in all cylinders today!
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, panthersherd

HerdFans.com

Ok, be honest, who anticipate this today?
    « on: September 05, 2020, 04:27:53 PM »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

Re: Ok, be honest, who anticipate this today?
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 04:30:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not me. Probably the best (most complete) game in the Doc era. The best QB since Leftwich IMO. Now that is HERD FOOTBALL!

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, The E-Man, GreenDaddy

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 04:34:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where has Doc been hiding? This is all Herd fans have been asking for is an exciting team...I honestly didn't expect our team to look like the Herd teams of past, when we had exciting QB's and offenses..

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn’t predict this destruction of EKU, but I supplied Wells Hs footage and broke down his film for you all.  I stated he was better than Green already.  We will find out more as we hopefully go.  But he has enormous potential and major upside.  I say if healthy NFL bound. I do believe he needs to be taught now how to play under center.  Our offense would be scary good with this installed.  And he has the intelligence to do it now.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, The E-Man, herdfifteen

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Grant has the best debut for a starting QB in Marshall history with 307 passing yds.

Chuck predicted a 38-13 win, and Grant said the Herd wins 31-7.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Online lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 05:03:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought we would win and win big. I knew EKU had a new coach and wasn’t very good last year.  Saying that I didn’t expect it to be 59-0 and Wells to play so well and the Defense plays so tough.

Wells looked poise and has a nice arm. The best thing I saw with play calling was utilizing the middle of the field.  This was a good game for the new QB to get started. He will have some growing pains but I like where we are.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only thing I’ve known about EKU was them having a strong football program. I remember battles with them in the playoffs, so I’m pretty surprised they’ve fallen this far. I feel kind of bad for them. I’m happy with how the Herd played but I want to see it against someone else to believe it’s the real thing.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 05:10:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought we would win and win big. I knew EKU had a new coach and wasn’t very good last year.  Saying that I didn’t expect it to be 59-0 and Wells to play so well and the Defense plays so tough.

Wells looked poise and has a nice arm. The best thing I saw with play calling was utilizing the middle of the field.  This was a good game for the new QB to get started. He will have some growing pains but I like where we are.

7-8 wins last year / solid fcs club / not same athletes / eku shouldn’t be on Marshall’s level in any sport

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 05:17:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Positive: No expectations lead to a lot of excitement.

Negative: last time we dominated a game like that was Morgan St. that did not end well.

I do think this EKU team was better than Morgan St. but they weren’t focused at all. Going to ride the happiness. I think there’s something there with this team. A completeness was unlocked today on O that we were missing. D has me worried up the middle a bit, but they fly around. Good week 1

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 05:20:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I predicted in my article Herd 45 EKU 14. It was above expectations

Online lexkyherdfan

• Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 7-8 wins last year / solid fcs club / not same athletes / eku shouldn’t be on Marshall’s level in any sport

They really haven’t been solid.  They win 7 games last year yet they didn’t renew their coaches contract after four years. He went 21-24 there. They used to be a pretty darn good FCS team but haven’t been lately.  Even in good years they shouldn’t be on our level.  Since I live about 20 miles from campus I follow them and hope they do well. I got to meet and know Coach Hamilton last year and enjoy following their basketball program.  Great school there but I agree they shouldn’t be in our level in any sport.  They do have nice facilities in Richmond. 

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They really haven’t been solid.  They win 7 games last year yet they didn’t renew their coaches contract after four years. He went 21-24 there. They used to be a pretty darn good FCS team but haven’t been lately.  Even in good years they shouldn’t be on our level.  Since I live about 20 miles from campus I follow them and hope they do well. I got to meet and know Coach Hamilton last year and enjoy following their basketball program.  Great school there but I agree they shouldn’t be in our level in any sport.  They do have nice facilities in Richmond.

New coach better show something more than today.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 06:38:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thought we would win by 24 points, did not realize what a polished QB Wells is.  I also was impressed with the defense and total intensity of the team and how well prepared we were.

Great job all the way around.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 06:57:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 7-8 wins last year / solid fcs club / not same athletes / eku shouldn’t be on Marshall’s level in any sport

You're to young to remember, but it wasn't long ago that EKU owned us and was winning 1-AA Championships... We turned it around and start being better than the Colonels..

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline MUther

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought we'd be working out kinks and sluggish as usual.  Looked like game 10, not game 1..  Kudos to preparation by all involved.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 12:24:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You're to young to remember, but it wasn't long ago that EKU owned us and was winning 1-AA Championships... We turned it around and start being better than the Colonels..

Their main problem, E-Man, is that they had a quality, veteran Head Coach, Roy Kidd, who was there for so long, that they haven't found someone who could sustain his level of success for very long, even though they remain in FCS, formerly 1-AA.  I remember our games with them going back decades, even in our 1-AA playoff days.  Kidd was akin at EKU to say what Bear Bryant was at Bama way back.  One thing I remember about Kidd, though, was that early on he was able to recruit some quality Black players from Florida to EKU, long before a lot of colleges in the North and Midwest did so.  The Colonels always seemed, to me, to have talented, quality running backs from FL back in those days.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Offline beau42m

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 03:54:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • No comment until we face Appalachian State. 1-AA openers (and doesn't Hammy love them?) can be misleading. And this was one year that Hammy had the whole slate filled with 1-A opponents (prior to Covid-19).

Offline puma

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 07:36:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Appy is probably going to be an L. But if that game can stay competitive, I don't think it will necessarily mean much. Appy is way better than any C-USA team. They could their own in the AAC.

One thing that impressed me yesterday was the lack of dumb, drive ending penalties that have been a hallmark of Doc's coaching. The execution and basic fundamentals didn't even look like a Doc team. I don't think there were any false starts, too many players on the field, duplicate numbers, or any other dumb stuff. That should bode well, even with better competition.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fantastic result

Go Herd!

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 09:24:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Appy is probably going to be an L. But if that game can stay competitive, I don't think it will necessarily mean much. Appy is way better than any C-USA team. They could their own in the AAC.

One thing that impressed me yesterday was the lack of dumb, drive ending penalties that have been a hallmark of Doc's coaching. The execution and basic fundamentals didn't even look like a Doc team. I don't think there were any false starts, too many players on the field, duplicate numbers, or any other dumb stuff. That should bode well, even with better competition.

I agree and Doc even went for it a few times inside our 40 yrd, who would have thunk it? lol.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 09:24:22 AM »