Author Topic: which "1" gets built first .....  (Read 764 times)

Offline NewBombTerk

which "1" gets built first .....
« on: October 01, 2020, 09:20:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • both are important to Marshall athletics !
    On Halloween night 1965, The Beverly Hills Residents Assocoation wants to tear down TUBBY'S DRIVE INN and one year later open an office building. For one last night The "HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS" reigned supreme and left their mark on Beverly Hills forever !

HerdFans.com

which "1" gets built first .....
    « on: October 01, 2020, 09:20:35 PM »

Offline elginherd

Re: which "1" gets built first .....
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 09:33:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the current environment, where in addition to COVID, the MiLB/MLB dispute makes it unlikely that a minor league franchise will materialize.

So it might be more likely that an Elginherd statue will be built before the baseball stadium. 
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online carolinaherdfan

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the current environment, where in addition to COVID, the MiLB/MLB dispute makes it unlikely that a minor league franchise will materialize.

So it might be more likely that an Elginherd statue will be built before the baseball stadium.

Marshall/Huntington needs to go after the Reds rookie league team; two years old in Tennessee...we can get this team and it is the best move our area can ever get...!

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 07:16:59 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]-1
  • work has already been started on the statue so I believe it gets built first.
    As for baseball, I believe the stadium will be built but with the minor leagues being almost extinct,  I believe that we will get a new Appalachian League team. With no payroll to speak of, I believe it can make it.
    I would rather see that, a college wooden bat league, over a low minor league franchise
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 08:13:11 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall/Huntington needs to go after the Reds rookie league team; two years old in Tennessee...we can get this team and it is the best move our area can ever get...!

MLB is completely reorganizing its minor league system.  It has ended its affiliation with the Appalachian League and cutting 42 teams from the Minor League rosters (including the West Virginia Power).  The rookie league equivalent will be played at the teams' spring training sites in Florida and Arizona.

The Appalachian League is reorganizing as a summer collegiate wooden bat league. All their teams names are being forced to rebrand.  Summer collegiate wood bat is not the same economic engine that minor league baseball is.  The days of any opportunity for a MiLB partner for a baseball partner in Huntington are officially dead.

Once the Marshall stadium is built, it's possible Huntington, Charleston, Beckley, and a few other regional cities could try to put together a high level independent league.  But that's not going to get a stadium built itself.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Herdmeister

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • work has already been started on the statue so I believe it gets built first.
    As for baseball, I believe the stadium will be built but with the minor leagues being almost extinct,  I believe that we will get a new Appalachian League team. With no payroll to speak of, I believe it can make it.
    I would rather see that, a college wooden bat league, over a low minor league franchise

Agree, we should go after an Appalachian League team. That would be a great fit. Charleston is not without the Power, I look for them to get an Appalachian team as well.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 09:38:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If minor leagues go extinct then wouldn’t most of the best players play college? I hold they build it. Something else to do in this town.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 10:11:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If minor leagues go extinct then wouldn’t most of the best players play college? I hold they build it. Something else to do in this town.
    Absolutely.  I was reading a story with some major college baseball programs included.  Those coaches are giddy about the minor league system getting cut so drastically.  The college baseball pool grows greatly
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline puma

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Absolutely.  I was reading a story with some major college baseball programs included.  Those coaches are giddy about the minor league system getting cut so drastically.  The college baseball pool grows greatly

I've never followed college baseball but isn't C-USA actually pretty good in that sport? Could this theoretically result in a solid head start?

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 11:52:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've never followed college baseball but isn't C-USA actually pretty good in that sport? Could this theoretically result in a solid head start?
    We are one of the better mid major baseball leagues. This certainly won't hurt
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline elginherd

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 02:53:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For whatever reason, MLB's PTBs are wanting to ace out the NAPBL...probably to save money.

At the same time, MLB & 3 indy leagues have recently announced a 'partnership' while looking to cut the number of single A teams & all the rookie leagues.

The two effects:
    1) The indy leagues are already more or less self sufficient, so the MLB's 'farm' systems won't have to subsidize salaries & operating expenses.
    2) More talent will be available to the indy leagues.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Building a statue is just monumentally easier that building a stadium.

The Appalachian league will become a summer wood bat league for college players next summer, much like the Cape Cod league. There will be some amazing talent come through, but it's different.

https://www.mlb.com/appalachian-league

I wonder if an independent league couldn't be viable, but while I would buy a ticket, I wouldn't risk a nickel investing in a team.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 08:29:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Building a statue is just monumentally easier that building a stadium.

The Appalachian league will become a summer wood bat league for college players next summer, much like the Cape Cod league. There will be some amazing talent come through, but it's different.

https://www.mlb.com/appalachian-league

I wonder if an independent league couldn't be viable, but while I would buy a ticket, I wouldn't risk a nickel investing in a team.

Excellent point.
    While I was dealing with my brother's estate in Washington PA (WashPA for short), I attended a couple of the Wild Things games. They're Frontier League members. I gotta to say that I had a good time and both games drew an honest 1000+. The beer & concessions were reasonably priced.

WashPA is much smaller than H-ton, BUT the community seems to have embraced the Wild Things. I am skeptical on whether H-ton would do the same for either a college wooden bat league or an Indy minor league club. In either case, people of the community have to be willing to feed and/or lodge players for little or no compensation.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 10:06:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wonder if the league that the Morgantown team is in was also "axed" by MLB?  If not perhaps soon other team in that League, mainly in NY, PA, perhaps Maryland, may be looking to relocate when, and if, the Huntington Stadium is ever built and completed.  Having a second team in WV may be viable, probably not much more travel than in a League with teams from Tenn., NC, Virginia (Appy League).

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 12:06:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wonder if the league that the Morgantown team is in was also "axed" by MLB?  If not perhaps soon other team in that League, mainly in NY, PA, perhaps Maryland, may be looking to relocate when, and if, the Huntington Stadium is ever built and completed.  Having a second team in WV may be viable, probably not much more travel than in a League with teams from Tenn., NC, Virginia (Appy League).

The West Virginia Black Bears are in the New York-Penn League, and it is not on the chopping block by MLB. They are expected to continue as an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Unfortunately, Morgantown is sort of considered the stretch travel team for most of the NY-Penn League, so Huntington - another 3.5 hours down the road, isn't likely.

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline coalherd

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 12:24:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe a team or two in Maryland, perhaps in Hagerstown.

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 12:42:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe a team or two in Maryland, perhaps in Hagerstown.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 01:28:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The West Virginia Black Bears are in the New York-Penn League, and it is not on the chopping block by MLB. They are expected to continue as an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Unfortunately, Morgantown is sort of considered the stretch travel team for most of the NY-Penn League, so Huntington - another 3.5 hours down the road, isn't likely.

And Morganhole is a lot closer to Pittsburgh than to the fake Charleston and even farther than Huntington.
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:45:26 AM by elginherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 01:28:06 AM »