Author Topic: Awful Football  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Herdmeister

Awful Football
« on: October 04, 2020, 06:21:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched most of every CUSA team that played over the weekend and didn’t see a single decent team.
    I'm convinced that some of our good 1AA teams would have beaten any of them.
    There is no doubt in my mind that we are in the worst FBS league ever.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: scherd, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, herdorbust, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Awful Football
    « on: October 04, 2020, 06:21:58 AM »

Offline herdorbust

Re: Awful Football
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 07:37:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched most of every CUSA team that played over the weekend and didn’t see a single decent team.

I have to agree. We need out of this conference now. It is just awful.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 07:41:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I have to agree. We need out of this conference now. It is just awful.

unfortunately, we have nowhere to go. We have no money and a bad location for travel. Anywhere we do go the TV financial picture will be no different.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, The E-Man

Offline puma

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 07:56:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I have to agree. We need out of this conference now. It is just awful.

First step is to start winning this conference.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 08:10:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

unfortunately, we have nowhere to go. We have no money and a bad location for travel. Anywhere we do go the TV financial picture will be no different.

I know and it’s sad. In a horrible conference with a bunch of teams from Texas. This is like a nightmare. Honest to God I just can’t understand why the CUSA East and sunbelt East can’t merge and same for the west. It may not be a powerhouse conference but at least it would be a fun conference. We have zero business being in a conference with four teams from Texas. Those games will never feel like a conference game much less a rival.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know and it’s sad. In a horrible conference with a bunch of teams from Texas. This is like a nightmare. Honest to God I just can’t understand why the CUSA East and sunbelt East can’t merge and same for the west. It may not be a powerhouse conference but at least it would be a fun conference. We have zero business being in a conference with four teams from Texas. Those games will never feel like a conference game much less a rival.

The NCAA wouldn’t recognize a new league for 3-years. Meaning no NCAA basketball auto-bid and no tournament credits.

There are ways around this, but it requires virtually all schools in two leagues to be on board (i.e. the SB East/CUSA East becomes the Sun Belt, while the SB West/CUSA West become Conference USA), and they’re clearly not. We are in a league with a lot of schools that simply do not care, because they fast-tracked through building a fan base by advancing without any success. They don’t have invested alumni who care. They’re not like us.

We are, in many ways, a minority when it comes to college athletics. A small public school with few financial resources but a rabid, invested fan base.  There aren’t enough like us to join everyone in (Appy, Ga. Southern, Southern Miss come to mind).

But let me add this:  the Big 12 looked awful again yesterday. It’s amazing what leveling the playing field does when it comes to fans in stands, etc. Oklahoma and Texas are mediocre. Houston Baptist is one of the top teams in Texas, and that’s not hyperbole.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scherd

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 09:04:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting thoughts Thundering and right on. The parity is unbelievable, I have been one of those hoping we never play WV but they are absolutely awful and I have no doubt  we could do more than just compete with them. The same goes for Kentucky, Baylor, and several of the so called power programs. I realize we have played one good team but I am convinced we could play with  many of these P5s before depth became an issue.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The NCAA wouldn’t recognize a new league for 3-years. Meaning no NCAA basketball auto-bid and no tournament credits.

There are ways around this, but it requires virtually all schools in two leagues to be on board (i.e. the SB East/CUSA East becomes the Sun Belt, while the SB West/CUSA West become Conference USA), and they’re clearly not. We are in a league with a lot of schools that simply do not care, because they fast-tracked through building a fan base by advancing without any success. They don’t have invested alumni who care. They’re not like us.

The first sentence say it all, in regards to a "merger".  I don't think MU could survive the loss of the tournament credits and not having a chance to receive a bid to the NCAA basketball tournament. All you need is for a couple of the schools to file lawsuits against the merger, that cost would kill any merger. The only real options is to join a existing conference, but we would need money for exist and entrance fees and a conference.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 10:17:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The NCAA wouldn’t recognize a new league for 3-years. Meaning no NCAA basketball auto-bid and no tournament credits.

We are, in many ways, a minority when it comes to college athletics. A small public school with few financial resources but a rabid, invested fan base.  There aren’t enough like us to join everyone in (Appy, Ga. Southern, Southern Miss come to mind).

But let me add this:  the Big 12 looked awful again yesterday. It’s amazing what leveling the playing field does when it comes to fans in stands, etc. Oklahoma and Texas are mediocre. Houston Baptist is one of the top teams in Texas, and that’s not hyperbole.

You cant be serious about Houston Baptist? The team that beat EKU by 3 yesterday. Lost to LT by 30 and lost to N Texas by 25? Yes that is hyperbole to the extreme.

Online svherd

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 10:48:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think the travel issue is way overblown. Most schools football teams take charters. Basketball, some do and some fly commercial into HTS or CRW. Yeah, CRW is a 50 minute drive to Huntington but ever fly into Denver, Chicago, NYC, etc? All those airports are 40-50 minute drives into to downtown - on a good day.
    The minor sports mostly bus it or school van.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• You cant be serious about Houston Baptist? The team that beat EKU by 3 yesterday. Lost to LT by 30 and lost to N Texas by 25? Yes that is hyperbole to the extreme.

But I am. They lost to Texas Tech by 2.  The week before Texas Tech and Texas went to OT, which exposed the Longhorns as pretenders again. I know they got trucked by North Texas. My point is that all of them are terrible this year. North Texas is bad. Texas Tech is bad. Texas is bad. TCU is ok. Houston Baptist is bad.

That’s really my point... they’re all bad.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]1

What's even worse, we have been struggling to compete...With the exception of this year and it's still not over, we haven't won CUSA but once since joining..

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, wasbarryb

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What's even worse, we have been struggling to compete...With the exception of this year and it's still not over, we haven't won CUSA but once since joining..

If we don’t win it this year then it would be a travesty. This is by far the worst this conference has ever looked. I mean it’s just horrible. It’s almost like, how can we not?

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Online svherd

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 01:08:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we don’t win it this year then it would be a travesty. This is by far the worst this conference has ever looked. I mean it’s just horrible. It’s almost like, how can we not?

We should actually win it in football and basketball. No excuses

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 01:13:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We should actually win it in football and basketball. No excuses

I think it’s absolutely possible to win in basketball but I wouldn’t go to “should.”  The league is better in basketball than football right now. We should be good and should be in the thick of things. WKU will once again be talented, and NT actually seems to have a good basketball coach now. Charlotte is improving. But we should absolutely be in the mix regular season and tournament.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We should actually win it in football and basketball. No excuses

At least basketball has some real potential teams. Bassey at WKU and their talent can be good. Football is just a train wreck. WKU has fallen bigtime since Brohm left. MTSU is still bad. ODU never has been any good. Charlotte is still trying to build a program as is ODU. FAU has taken a big step back. FIU can’t get over the hump even with Butch Davis. It’s just a mess.

Offline puma

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 01:46:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we don’t win it this year then it would be a travesty. This is by far the worst this conference has ever looked. I mean it’s just horrible. It’s almost like, how can we not?

C-USA 3.0 football has been terrible since Marshall and WKU had a couple of good seasons each. People usually say it's the bottom of the conference that pulls it down but I think it's the opposite. It's the lack of strong teams at top that are causing problems and destroy league perception.

I don't know what's going to happen this season. I'm more optimistic than in the past but Doc always inexplicably loses a game or two to some really bad opponents whenever the division is in sight.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, go1970herd, mu79grad, The E-Man, herdorbust

Offline muherd34

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 02:09:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am seeing A LOT of bad football right now.  I assume spring football being different has a lot to do with it.   I love college football and watch every league that I can.  Its really sloppy right now across the board.  Even the powerhouse sec programs like Georgia and aurburn looked poor for alot of the game.  False starts, wrong routes etc.  I believe all teams will be playing better come week 5.

With that being said.  I opened this thread assuming it was going to be about how bad wvu football is!  Lol. We not only "need" to get out of this league....we HAVE TO.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Online whf

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully you're all watching a lot of leagues and independents, C-USA looks pretty good at times to me compared to what else I'm seeing.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 04:16:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully you're all watching a lot of leagues and independents, C-USA looks pretty good at times to me compared to what else I'm seeing.

It’s much different looking at Charlotte and FAU compared to Texas/TCU or Georgia/Auburn.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
    Maybe compared to WV high school.  I'm telling you every team Donnan and Pruett had would kill every team in the league
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Online elginherd

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

"Beaten" is an understatement. "Dominated" or "embarrassed by" might be more acccurate.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2020, 08:20:15 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • First step is to start winning this conference.

No doubt there.  But E-Man points out, once since we've been in CUSA!  UNACCEPTABLE!!

Need to win this damn league football championship a lot more frequently than ONCE a DECADE!

Starting winning often enough that we are regarded as the "Boise" of CUSA!  Should lead to some better exposure, maybe some made for TV games in the pre conference season against known Power programs, better bowl match ups, etc!!

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, mu79grad

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2020, 08:47:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe compared to WV high school.  I'm telling you every team Donnan and Pruett had would kill every team in the league

Agree. We have fallen so far in this league we forget just how good we used to be. When I go back and watch some of those games it makes me sad. Our defense the last few years is compatible but our offense is not even in the same Milky Way to those teams back then.

Online herd2win

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lots of penalties and mistakes across all conferences.  From what I have seen I believe we are a true top 25 team, that being said it would not surprise me if we lost by 20 this week.  There has been zero consistency in this season and with the layoff who knows what to expect.

Watched some of the WVU game and we can hang with them or any school in the Big12 this season.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »