Author Topic: Do we want another Jirsa?  (Read 3262 times)

Anonymous

Do we want another Jirsa?
« on: March 25, 2005, 05:29:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's what I'm afraid of with hiring someone like Snyder.  If we get Donnan, I feel that we aren't going to have to go into 2 down seasons (like we have with Jirsa) and wait after that to see if he can do anything.  Like Chad said...we are standing on the edge.  In my strong opinion, Jim Donnan would be the quickest remedy.  He can coach our team against some of our very tough opponents coming up this season.  Kueck and Snyder on the other hand have ZERO head coaching experience, and wouldn't be as ready...which is why I predict us to have a worse record in '05 with Kueck/Snyder than we would with Donnan.

Sadly though, looks like I was 100% right in the fact that Mr. Marcum is pulling another D'Antoni and not even thinking in the direction of Donnan...even though Donnan may not have called Marcum.  I'm thinking that (knowing Marcum) we're gonna get either Kueck or Snyder.  In my opinion, Kueck would be the much better choice.  I heard from a really good source that the players love Kueck.

HerdFans.com

« on: March 25, 2005, 05:29:34 AM »

Offline HerdChemist89

• All American
    -
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 05:50:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    AmeriKenny :  "I heard from a really good source that the players love Kueck."

I heard the same thing Kenny. I have a cousin who is much younger than me and is in grad school at Marshall. He knows many of the players, and has been around Coach Kueck. He basically tells me that Coach Kueck is admired and respected as a "players coach". The guys on the team will run through a brick wall for him.

I have also been told that Kueck is more stern when it comes to discipline. I may get blasted for posting this; but Coach Pruett had begun to distance himself somewhat from the players and other coaches over the last couple of years. Bobby was just too busy and had started to lose control. That is just an opinion of a relative, not necessarily mine. But when you look at what happened on the field in 2003 and 2004 it makes sense.

I liked Coach Pruett as much as anybody, it was sad to see him leave....but as he said, it was time.

I just hope we parlay this opportunity into finding the right coach to take us to the next level.
    "For years we realized we needed an indoor practice facility," Pastilong said. "Former Gov. Caperton was sympathetic to our needs and enabled us with the financial assistance to carry out this project."
    "We're going to monitor that car more closely," said Pastilong, who previous said the football staff had used the car for errands. "It's going to have a checkout sheet with an odometer reading and the purpose for using it."

Offline OhYeaahMU

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 08:33:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry for saying this, but to answer your "Do we want another Jirsa?" question, I would have to say I want another Beilein.

It's so sad to watch WVU do what they're doing right now while we were very far off from even having a winning record.

Painful, indeed.

Offline Chico

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 08:36:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • :-|
    Go Herd...

Offline Chico

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 08:36:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry, couldn't resist...
    Go Herd...

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    AND THE WINNER GOES TO.....
    « Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 09:57:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "AmeriKenny"
    That's what I'm afraid of with hiring someone like Snyder.  If we get Donnan, I feel that we aren't going to have to go into 2 down seasons (like we have with Jirsa) and wait after that to see if he can do anything.  Like Chad said...we are standing on the edge.  In my strong opinion, Jim Donnan would be the quickest remedy.  He can coach our team against some of our very tough opponents coming up this season.  Kueck and Snyder on the other hand have ZERO head coaching experience, and wouldn't be as ready...which is why I predict us to have a worse record in '05 with Kueck/Snyder than we would with Donnan.

Sadly though, looks like I was 100% right in the fact that Mr. Marcum is pulling another D'Antoni and not even thinking in the direction of Donnan...even though Donnan may not have called Marcum.  I'm thinking that (knowing Marcum) we're gonna get either Kueck or Snyder.  In my opinion, Kueck would be the much better choice.  I heard from a really good source that the players love Kueck.

Congratulations Kenny!
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

Offline Chico

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 10:17:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sweet Trophy Kenny  :lol:
    Go Herd...

Offline Chris884mu

• Junior Varsity
    Players favorite doesn't mean too much once games start
    « Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 12:06:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing ...but if the team starts losing, the players start getting the sense that he doesn't know what it REALLY takes to win.  The honeymoon can be short lived.  I'd rather be hated and respected by players than loved and unemployed.

Brian Knorr was the overwhelming "players favorite" coach when Grobe left OU but few would argue with the fact that Knorr wasn't getting it done.

When the Kueck rubberstamping is made official we can only hope and pray that he knows how to get us to the next level....because we'll never know wether he was the MOST qualified at this point.  If he doesn't win quickly...you can expect the backlash to be fierce...thanks to Marcum's "Chirade Of A Search...BookII"

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 12:16:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Name:Jim Donnan
    Job: ESPN Analyst
    Choke Factor: 7.9

Strike one on Donnan is his age Kenny, he is 60 yr old, Pruett who just left is 61. He chokes in more bigger games then he wins them. And to be honest I think there are 3 other canidates above Donnan for the job.

Can I ask you not to bring this up again, I can, will it work, not a chance. You are like a 5 yr old in a car right now. Are we there yet Mommy, Are we there yet Mommy, Are we there yet Mommy, Are we there yet Mommy, Are we there yet Mommy.

Offline HerdRocks

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 12:24:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do we want another Jirsa, NO , no more Jirsa's , Freemans , Daniels, or GW's...thats why we are where we are today...

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 12:33:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Shut up HerdZone.  Be a little respectful...now I see why you don't want, and  are not wanted at Herd Nation.

Grow up like some of the other posters in this thread (and not like the ones that keep saying that I'm beating a dead horse)

The first half of your post basically convinced me that he might not be the man for the job...but the last half was plain WASTE...kinda like burning couches after a victory. :???:

Offline jstherd

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 12:43:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, that's it. His cousin told my cousin that a players cousin told another student, who knows several players....and even some of their cousins, that the players really like Kueck. Stop the search. Its Kueck, with 27 cousin votes.

If kueck gets the job, you can bet there never was a "real" search, because Marshall's reputation and compensation package (see Landon's column today) would attract far better candidates than Kueck.....and for sure Donnan, who whines too much and is too old.

Excuse me, I gotta run. My cousins on the line with some coaching news. He's been talkingmto a Marshall player who he knows really well.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 12:43:37 PM »

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 01:18:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Shut up HerdZone.  Be a little respectful...now I see why you don't want, and  are not wanted at Herd Nation.

Well Im sorry Kenny but thats what your posts have been like.

Why Im not wanted at Herd Nation is a different story, I was Censored there, and refuse to go back to somewhere that is power hungry, now drop it.

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 03:55:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't worry about Donnan and Kueck. Think Snyder or Holiday.............

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 04:07:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Grow up like some of the other posters in this thread (and not like the ones that keep saying that I'm beating a dead horse)

If it sounds like you're beating a dead horse.  And it looks like your beating a dead horse.  Guess what....

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 06:04:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snyder would be better than Holiday...but I still think Marcum will stay "in-house"
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 06:07:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "biggreenthunder"

If it sounds like you're beating a dead horse.  And it looks like your beating a dead horse.  Guess what....

You sound like you need to grow up and not impede discussion. :eek:

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 09:28:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Asking if we want another Jirsa, is like asking someone who just blew their brains out, if they would like to do it again. Uh, I don't think so!
    Please help us here LORD!

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:cool:

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 09:38:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So what if someone hadn't read all of the threads? What are you gonna do? Not let them discuss it again? Don't get your panties in a wad...we're all Herd fans here...

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 09:44:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No Kenny, I personally believe you need to continue what you are doing. If you let up, the administration will take that to mean a change in attitude.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:grin:

Offline grrchemgrl

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 10:16:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • has Donnan even called? seriously..... if i wanted a job i wouldn't wait for someone to call and beg me to come work.... i'd go ask for it..... as far as the other candidates..... whoever gets the job is who Marcum thinks is the best candidate...... he's been kinda shaky at times but he usually does right by the football team...... there are all kinds of rumors on this coaching thing (we are marshall)...... one of them being Pruett only quit now so that Kueck would get his chance to coach.... which just may be..... he's doing a fine job at spring practice but what can you say without games...... no.... Kueck isn't a proven winner but who is before they get thier chance..... same with Synder though....... how can you knock these two men for not bein as qualified when they have never had their chance as Donnan has...... we went through an era with Donnan..... do marshall fans want that?... well a guess a few do...... but don't knock Marcum b/c he isn't on his hands and knees begging Donnan to come back.... you know.... Donnan left by choice....

Anonymous

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 10:19:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Donnan leaving by choice doesn't automatically take away the fact that he is a great coach and shold be deeply considered by any football program that is looking for a coach to turn around a team.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 10:19:33 PM »

Offline dshoe

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2005, 09:06:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdZone"
    [img]

Name:Jim Donnan
    Job: ESPN Analyst
    Choke Factor: 7.9

He chokes in more bigger games then he wins them.

how about some examples here.........tough to say that someone who is 18-3 in post season play and 4-0 in bowl games "chokes" in more big games than he wins.........by the way, he also beat every team in the SEC while he was at Georgia including Fla and Tenn.......

Could your post provide little insight into just how little you really know and just how much you let your bias determine what you post?

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2005, 12:33:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now, shoe, if you could just explain this sort of thing to our cow polk AD we might get some place. We are a dynamic upwardly mobile university, with an exciting upwardly mobile, save BB, athletic department. We can hire some pretty good people to fill this position. There are a lot of good coaches who would like to have the honor, and opportunity to be the head coach of the Marshall University Thundering Herd football program. We can do better, and it is time we started to demand top flight leadership. This closed door, 1930's way of running this head coaching search should be investigated by the Senate. If it were any place else there would be a constant outcry, and public demand, for up to date full disclosure. We should expect nothing less. We are the ones who are paying for all of this, and to be treated the way we are is a disgrace.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:shock:  :P

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #24 on: March 26, 2005, 04:53:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Quote from: "biggreenthunder"

You sound like you need to grow up and not impede discussion. :eek:

I'm 30 years old so and have a well paying job, a wife and 3 kids.  I'm not the one that get's on a fan board and asks for help about whether a girl likes me or not.

As soon as you offer something up for discussion, other than your man-crush on Donnan, I won't impede it.  But you've offered nothing to discuss on this issue for 2 weeks other than "I want Donnan."

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2005, 04:53:46 PM »