Author Topic: It?s time for Marshall to return to MAC  (Read 2493 times)

Offline goherd24

Re: It?s time for Marshall to return to MAC
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 10:16:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It?s just time

The changing landscape is about to leave Marshall without any viable conference home and not enough tv money/conference revenue to offset the travel cost.

MAC provides a safety net and solid home with minimal travel expenses and a tv deal earning a modest income.
     Maybe get MTSU and Appy St to come along.

It?s obvious the CUSA experiment is a failure.

Time to go back home and be the big fish in the little pond.

(bleep).

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 10:16:30 PM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2021, 10:54:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would like to get in a new regional conference. But if that can?t happen the MAC is probably the best place for us. Save a ton on travel. It?s a very solid basketball conference and as good or better football conference than Cusa. I?m not crazy about a few of the schools but it may be the smartest move financially.

The following users thanked this post: Toro Toro Taxi

Offline pdunn

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2021, 11:03:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not enthusiastic about going back to the MAC but if CUSA is somehow depleted of what little quality is left in it and we are stuck there its probably a better alternative than sticking in a CUSA that is even <gulp> worse.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Flat Tire 2, Toro Toro Taxi

Online elginherd

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2021, 11:10:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • None of us on here really have any inside info on our 'options'.
    And some on here assume that joining the leftover AAC is our option, or that the SBC is our option, or that cleaving the east CUSA & adding LU & CC is our option.

The truth is that none of these are OUR options! They are either the others' options or (maybe optimistically) joint options with others outside of the Herd's campus.

AFA as rejoining the MAC, and the 'hell-no' people about that...if the MAC becomes an option, here are the likely choices if it's worthwhile to remain in whatever lower FBS becomes:.

MAC vs remaining CUSA.
    Remaining CUSA vs independent.
    And remember FB is NOT the only consideration.

Personally, the objection that some have of 'empty weeknight stadiums' ring hollow when you look at CUSA's empty weekend stadiums...even when they are playing 'important' games for standings and/or rivalries.

Again, we as Herdfans don't have any control over this FUBAR of a situation. The problem is that our admin doesn't have total control either...and no amount of some of y'all's 'all it takes is strong leadership' fairy dust BS changes that.

And some of the assumptions of "Doc blew it" are more than likely wrong. (Doc did hose game management often.)
    But to assume that Marshall would have been invited to the AAC even IF the FB program under Snyder & Doc had been championship contenders is mistaken. Why did the AAC choose Temple,Tulane, Tulsa over the Herd? None of those have a FB tradition approaching the Herd's.
    « Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 11:13:16 PM by elginherd »
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: DJdaHERDfan, svherd

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 12:08:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Im not sure where the Herd will end up after all this crap is done and Im pretty sure most schools like MU have no clue either . Whatever the NCAA , if there even will be a NCAA , does , Im guessing the college football landscape is going to look alot different than it does now. 

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2021, 07:25:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not that I want to be there but why would the MAC ever take us back again?
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: MU93

Offline chris88

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2021, 07:30:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MAC in not a better FB conf. And playing on Tuesday/Wednesday nights the 2nd half of season would kill season tix....something rest of MAC doesn't worry about.  Basketball would be a step down, soccer would be a big step down, baseball would be a step down.  CUSA FB been bad for a few yrs but the league overall has fared well vs SB teams. Agree we need to keep our options open, but the MAC is not the answer. I would not attend one FB/BB game vs MAC opponent.

Our recruiting territory is primarily south of Huntington for most of our sports.  Lot easier to pull a kid who's parents can see them play even if it's a road game for us.  As an example, Nebraska's recruiting in TX etc has suffered since joining B10 because Lincoln NE is the closet place they can see their kid play. In B12, lots of southern recruits could see kid play in B12 on road. Our alumni bases are primarily in south as well and CUSA destinations have things to do vs middle of nowhere MAC locations.

We need to dominate FB and hope a better situation arises. I am fine with a Sun Belt merger etc. Until then, the Mu admin needs to take a leadership role in CUSA. We have soccer natl champ, we have won a game in NCAA BB tourney and have consistently finished in top half of league, we have been one of best W/L FB programs, our fanbase buys more tix than anyone else in league for home and away games, we have more TV appeal. Coach Huff would probably not even be here if we were in MAC. We simply don't fit the MAC footprint/profile.  Even considering the MAC would be a detriment imo.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #32 on: August 02, 2021, 08:11:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• And remember FB is NOT the only consideration.

That's a really good point and I think it has implications that are worth thinking about. It is conceivable that CUSA could be fixed in some way. I do think it is in everyone's interest to jetison the Texas teams, of course, but CUSA is one of the best soccer conferences, a decent basketball conference, a good baseball conference (in spite of us, not because of us) ... it is not a huge reach to think it could possibly be a viable football conference.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 08:18:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MAC in not a better FB conf. And playing on Tuesday/Wednesday nights the 2nd half of season would kill season tix....something rest of MAC doesn't worry about.  Basketball would be a step down, soccer would be a big step down, baseball would be a step down.  CUSA FB been bad for a few yrs but the league overall has fared well vs SB teams. Agree we need to keep our options open, but the MAC is not the answer. I would not attend one FB/BB game vs MAC opponent.

Our recruiting territory is primarily south of Huntington for most of our sports.  Lot easier to pull a kid who's parents can see them play even if it's a road game for us.  As an example, Nebraska's recruiting in TX etc has suffered since joining B10 because Lincoln NE is the closet place they can see their kid play. In B12, lots of southern recruits could see kid play in B12 on road. Our alumni bases are primarily in south as well and CUSA destinations have things to do vs middle of nowhere MAC locations.

We need to dominate FB and hope a better situation arises. I am fine with a Sun Belt merger etc. Until then, the Mu admin needs to take a leadership role in CUSA. We have soccer natl champ, we have won a game in NCAA BB tourney and have consistently finished in top half of league, we have been one of best W/L FB programs, our fanbase buys more tix than anyone else in league for home and away games, we have more TV appeal. Coach Huff would probably not even be here if we were in MAC. We simply don't fit the MAC footprint/profile.  Even considering the MAC would be a detriment imo.

Cusa football is lateral at best to the Mac. The problem with that is we are spending tons more money flying all over the country in all sports. Cusa football has been absolutely awful the last few years. MAC basketball is equal as well. TV money is way more in the MAC. So more money in the MAC and save a ton of money on travel. It?s a no brainer.

Offline svherd

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 08:36:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you look only at football, the MAC and CUSA battle it out for worst league most years. Many teams in both leagues are at the bottom of the D1 ratings. I'd give the MAC the edge though - hard to believe but Ball St. is getting pre-season Top 25 mention in some mags.

CUSA does have the edge in men's b'ball and a huge edge in men's soccer.

As with most, a new regional eastern based league would be my choice. But I doubt that happens sadly.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #35 on: August 02, 2021, 08:50:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We jumped to MAC from 1AA and ran through and dominated it. We did that already, we should be focusing on bigger things instead of regressing. Never understood this mindset of settling for mediocrity. Glad we finally have a HC with some balls and vision.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, forphase1, Big City, parshall2marshall, Johns1124, chris88, goherd24

Offline svherd

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2021, 08:55:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We jumped to MAC from 1AA and ran through and dominated it. We did that already, we should be focusing on bigger things instead of regressing. Never understood this mindset of settling for mediocrity. Glad we finally have a HC with some balls and vision.

The only way we can grow is donations and tix sales; like student enrollment, those are stagnant. Fans love to talk a good game.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2021, 08:55:35 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2021, 08:58:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We are never going to be big time. If we go to the AAC it will be watered down and not much better than CUSA or the MAC and that is ?if? we even go. All I?m saying is right now the MAC would bring us more money and less expenses. We can poo poo the MAC all we want but they are a much better and stable league than what we are in with less financial road trips.

Offline bighat

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2021, 09:22:11 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • MAC has no ambition and never had ambition.  We are MARSHALL and if we lose our ambition, we are gone.  The MAC takes no chances, we do.  When you gamble do you always win, no, but at least you give it a shot.  I do not want to be stuck in mediocrity.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2021, 09:25:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A regional solution may be coming but I don?t think it will be the MAC.

Offline pdunn

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2021, 09:26:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

They may not, but we're still a pretty good draw for TV and ESPN might "facilitate" such a move.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline chris88

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2021, 09:48:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They may not, but we're still a pretty good draw for TV and ESPN might "facilitate" such a move.

Focusing too much about what ESPN says/wants is what has gotten us in this mess to begin with.  The G5's of the world need to form an alliance in some form to put us in better bargaining position for tv/media.  What happens after this is over is vital.  the G5/Big12 leftovers need to reformulate leagues so that they all make sense from a bargaining power situation. If ESPN/ABC/Disney had to bargain with AAC/SB/CUSA/Mt west and even B12 leftovers as an entity there would be much more equitable return imo. ESPN uses this every school/league for themselves mentality against us. The "leadership" at CUSA has to go as they have no vision at all. The league is too Texas dominant when the teams down there have done really nothing to deserve that consideration.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2021, 10:13:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One has to give the MAC credit, it is a stable conference. When the 1A-AA split happened, the MAC was able stay 1A while the Southern Conference went 1AA. The MAC will be around no what happens, but I am not sure in what  form or division. I was talking to a friend and he said the big schools will force the bottom feeders like CUSA; Sunbelt and others down into a new football division. Maybe some of the better 1AA programs move into this division? Then maybe MU and ODU could go to the CAA? Also, I think it is a matter of time before you see what is happening in football also happens in basketball. The power schools will force the other schools into a lower division.This all about money and the power schools want all the money available in both football and basketball.  I am afraid my friend will be right.

Some have posted about the MAC poor attendance, but don't some CUSA schools have the same low attendance?
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 10:19:27 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2021, 10:15:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Focusing too much about what ESPN says/wants is what has gotten us in this mess to begin with.  The G5's of the world need to form an alliance in some form to put us in better bargaining position for tv/media.  What happens after this is over is vital.  the G5/Big12 leftovers need to reformulate leagues so that they all make sense from a bargaining power situation. If ESPN/ABC/Disney had to bargain with AAC/SB/CUSA/Mt west and even B12 leftovers as an entity there would be much more equitable return imo. ESPN uses this every school/league for themselves mentality against us. The "leadership" at CUSA has to go as they have no vision at all. The league is too Texas dominant when the teams down there have done really nothing to deserve that consideration.

We can hate ESPN all we want but CUSA did this to themselves when they picked CSTV over ESPN in the first round of media negotiations many years ago. They went for the fast nickel as opposed to the slow dime. It got us more money up front but now, we are on the outside looking in. Two then ESPN employees on this board at the time said it was a short sighted move and they were dead on.
    CUSA leadership is very poor and I don't see that changing in a crucial time where they need to be very proactive. The league is floundering on the football side and that's not good.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Big Ol' Hillbilly

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Look it up in your phonebook.
    WTF is a phone book? 😂

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, elginherd

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2021, 10:51:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MAC has no ambition and never had ambition.  We are MARSHALL and if we lose our ambition, we are gone.  The MAC takes no chances, we do.  When you gamble do you always win, no, but at least you give it a shot.  I do not want to be stuck in mediocrity.

And we can wait around forever on something that most likely never comes and be in much worse shape than the MAC. Bottom line is if we were in the MAC right now, we would be in much better shape. Much better TV deal and money and much much less travel expenses for ALL sports. We wouldn?t be bleeding the budget near as bad.

Offline puma

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2021, 10:59:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd rather join the MAC than stay in C-USA and even more so if we lose UAB or others to realignment. But that says more about C-USA than it does the MAC. A depleted AAC or Sunbelt would be preferable to either of those choices. I don't understand why everyone hates and looks down upon the MAC. Their football programs are better, away games are closer, even their bad teams have history, and they play on ESPN.

I get not liking the occasional weeknight game. I have season tickets, too. But more than anything, I really want Marshall to be the next App State or Coastal. That's just not going to happen in C-USA. Either the MAC or Sunbelt would be hugely preferable to where we are now. And if the AAC loots C-USA and we're not included, we will be completely screwed.

But I doubt we're going anywhere. This is just about the absolute worst timing to be without a permanent President or AD.

The following users thanked this post: GreenDaddy, herdorbust

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2021, 10:59:16 AM »

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A regional solution may be coming but I don?t think it will be the MAC.

It is long past time for the split to happen. As long as we add the right teams after the split happens then we should end up okay. We could ditch CUSA and rebrand (Mountain 10 anyone?), and maybe even work out a deal similar to the Sun Belt with ESPN.

Online elginherd

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2021, 11:11:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That's a good point...
    And right now, a similar question could be raised regarding the AAC & the SBC.

I could see the SB wanting us because we'd bring more eyeballs to the ESPN group of secondary networks during FB season & probably during MBB season. The SB would want a little increase in pay from Disney in order for that to happen though.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: GreenDaddy

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • We can hate ESPN all we want but CUSA did this to themselves when they picked CSTV over ESPN in the first round of media negotiations many years ago. They went for the fast nickel as opposed to the slow dime. It got us more money up front but now, we are on the outside looking in. Two then ESPN employees on this board at the time said it was a short sighted move and they were dead on.
    CUSA leadership is very poor and I don't see that changing in a crucial time where they need to be very proactive. The league is floundering on the football side and that's not good.

Correct, the CUSA leadership and the member AD made the the wrong decision on the TV package.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, svherd, GreenDaddy

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »