Author Topic: MU/Navy ESPN Matchup Predictor  (Read 805 times)

Offline IM4DHERD

MU/Navy ESPN Matchup Predictor
« on: August 31, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has MU with a 69.5% chance of winning.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Thundering In MD, svherd

HerdFans.com

MU/Navy ESPN Matchup Predictor
    « on: August 31, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »

Online W0lfman

Re: MU/Navy ESPN Matchup Predictor
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 12:32:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A game we need to win get Huffs career off on right foot.

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:53:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Over a 2/3 chance of winning.  I'll take those odds straight up.  Anyone know how accurate ESPNs matchup predictor has been in the past?

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 01:52:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anyone know how accurate ESPNs matchup predictor has been in the past?

If it's anything like the ESPN MLB playoff predictor it's not accurate at all. It has Cardinals with a 5% chance of making playoffs. If they win two games against the Red's today...their chances would probably go up to 30 or 40%. Reds had a nearly 80% chance to make playoffs a few days ago...now it's down to 50%. If you can go from a good chance to not a good chance of making the playoffs in just a few games with a month out...then you never really had a "good chance" to begin with.

Anyway...BEAT NAVY! Looking forward to the game!

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've found the NCAAF matchup predictor to be VERY reliable.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline Echo 5

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 06:41:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've found the NCAAF matchup predictor to be VERY reliable.

Not sure if this is the site you use or not (ncaagamesim.com), but it's pretty neat.  When I put Navy as the home team against MU, it gave the following:

Number of Simulations: 216
    Navy Won: 70 times (32.4%)
    MU Won: 146 times (67.6%)

Average Score:
    Navy 11.9
    MU   19.1

Player Stats are a bit off because it has Knox running (but only getting 59 yards and 1 TD).  Shows Grant Wells going 8 for 18, no TD and 1 INT. 

Take it for what it is I guess.  We'll see how close it gets to the real thing soon enough.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Offline chris88

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 08:41:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What were the odds of Rice winning in Hton last year?

Anyone who thinks they know how MU/Navy game will go is guessing...but that still gives you a 50% chance. To me, MU has to prove they can put up points after coming off 3 putrid offensive performances to end last season. All the more baffling since we had an NFL player, a 1st team AA, and 3 other quality starters on OL. You'd think at some point we would have put in a FB or 2 TEs, varied our splits, and run the ball down peoples throat.  But the spread option isn't really geared to be a varied running attack....especially when QB isn't really what most people would consider fleet of foot. Predictable = easy to defend. QB hits wall throwing ball, QB not a runner, coach won't try backup QB. Solution: stop the tailback. Make QB beat you. The end.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Big City, herdorbust

Offline banker

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 11:52:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Anyone who thinks they know how MU/Navy game will go is guessing...but that still gives you a 50% chance. To me, MU has to prove they can put up points after coming off 3 putrid offensive performances to end last season. All the more baffling since we had an NFL player, a 1st team AA, and 3 other quality starters on OL. You'd think at some point we would have put in a FB or 2 TEs, varied our splits, and run the ball down peoples throat.  But the spread option isn't really geared to be a varied running attack....especially when QB isn't really what most people would consider fleet of foot. Predictable = easy to defend. QB hits wall throwing ball, QB not a runner, coach won't try backup QB. Solution: stop the tailback. Make QB beat you. The end.

So it was coaching. Hopefully that's fixed.

Reminds me of 2003 or 2004, can't remember which, but the offense was sputtering so Pruett went to Ohio and UCF and just played "run it down their throat" football.

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Doc is gone man. If Huff is any good we will run through this conference like a hot knife through butter :D

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: Big City, parshall2marshall

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 09:39:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc is gone man. If Huff is any good we will run through this conference like a hot knife through butter :D

Go Herd!

UAB isn?t exactly chump change. And the team that I?m really curious about is WKU. They had a really good defense. And they brought the entire skill players from Houston Baptist including that offensive coordinator to WKU. HB lit up the scoreboard and could throw it against anyone. They will be greatly improved. But I agree, we should win the conference if we play the way we can.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 10:09:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UAB is a very solid team and throws the ball all over the field and has a good defense.  I am also curious about what WKU can do.

Offline Big City

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 02:32:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What was the posters name? Ought??
    I always enjoy his match up analysis. I always look at the espn matchup predictor.

I am craving some info about the program. So I?ll take anything I can get. I even read chuck ran don?s article column this morning.

Have to admit the limited info has caught my attention and has me very intrigued. Cannot wait to see what this team does.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 02:32:44 PM »

Online CharlestonHerdGuy

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 06:33:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0