Author Topic: Big 12 nearing consensus on 4 schools  (Read 1018 times)

Offline MUsince96

Big 12 nearing consensus on 4 schools
« on: September 02, 2021, 12:03:55 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

Big 12 nearing consensus on 4 schools
    « on: September 02, 2021, 12:03:55 PM »

Offline Flat Tire 2

Re: Big 12 nearing consensus on 4 schools
    « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 12:50:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Losing OU and UT and picking up BYU' UH; UCF and UC doesn't bode well for that conference?

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 12:53:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Losing OU and UT and picking up BYU' UH; UCF and UC doesn't bode well for that conference?

Still top 5.

Offline Big City

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 12:53:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Those four schools fit well in that conference with schools like WVU and TCU. Makes sense to me to target a UC, UCF etc as back fill. OU and Texas belong in the SEC.

IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 12:56:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Still top 5.

True, but they have drop down on the food chain in college football.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 01:25:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True, but they have drop down on the food chain in college football.

Big 12 is finished as a major player in FBS

Best of the G5 conferences for foreseeable future

Offline herd2win

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 01:28:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Count on UAB to be gone to the AAC for sure.  Watching their game last night the announcers mentioned them moving on multiple times based on the new stadium and strong in football and basketball.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline chris88

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 01:50:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Without those 4 schools the AAC is CUSA retrofit. Even more reason to get with ECU, Appy and others and form regional alignment.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, wasbarryb

Offline banker

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 03:27:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really, really hope that some folks use their heads and put together a conference that is good football out of the Belt, CUSA and AAC remnants.  There's a 12 team conference in there that could be good for Marshall and make geographic sense.  I hope there aren't just 3-4 teams that blindly hop into the AAC when we have a great opportunity to make something better.

Tulsa and SMU need to be moved out of the AAC.  Throw them in with the CUSA Texas schools along with Arkansas State and the Louisiana trio. That gives you a southwest conference all on the other side of the Mississippi River.  They can take New Mexico if they want in a conference.

Then you take the Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi schools and put them together.

That leaves:

Marshall
    Memphis
    WKU
    MTSU
    Navy
    ECU
    App State
    ODU
    Charlotte
    Coastal Carolina
    Temple
    UMass

That's a good football and basketball conference IMO.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 04:15:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We will fit well with remaining AAC members. P6 baby !!!!

"Marshall will not be left behind." - p2m
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline puma

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 04:24:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's crazy to think that the Sunbelt might be the best G5 conference when it's all said and done.

Offline luvherd

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall has some MAJOR negotiations and decisions to make. These moves are expensive and need to be based on long term outcome.  My gut says try to form a new conference. I would not be surprised if the P4 (w/o the Big 12) move into their own division.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 05:29:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At this point I would prefer a regional conference.  Wasn?t big time but I really enjoyed being in the Southern Conference.  There are only about 6 schools that matter now in football so why not build regional rivalries and places fans can travel.

I loved the road trips in college going to Southern Conference schools.  Could always tie in golf and a trip to the beach.

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE

Offline goherd24

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 06:12:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They take those 3 from the AAC, we gotta be a shoe in to move on yp out of this dumpster fire.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They take those 3 from the AAC, we gotta be a shoe in to move on yp out of this dumpster fire.

I want to say the same but man I?ll be holding my breath until they announce it.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 06:27:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At this point I would prefer a regional conference.  Wasn?t big time but I really enjoyed being in the Southern Conference.  There are only about 6 schools that matter now in football so why not build regional rivalries and places fans can travel.

I loved the road trips in college going to Southern Conference schools.  Could always tie in golf and a trip to the beach.

I agree. I would much rather see a regional conference than the left over AAC.

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 06:28:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even if the AAC loses all three of those schools we would still be left with Temple, Navy, USF, Memphis, and ECU. Think about that and then compare with our current slate of WKU, MTSU, Charlotte, FIU, and FAU. It is not even close. If the AAC calls, then we will find the money to make the move.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, MUsince96, goherd24, beau42m

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2021, 06:30:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree. I would much rather see a regional conference than the left over AAC.

No way dude, think about basketball. Being in the same league with those schools I mentioned above and possibly UAB and ODU too moving with us.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2021, 06:38:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Depending on who the AAC adds it could end up being fairly regional for us.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2021, 06:45:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way dude, think about basketball. Being in the same league with those schools I mentioned above and possibly UAB and ODU too moving with us.

I?m just giving you my opinion.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2021, 06:52:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall has some MAJOR negotiations and decisions to make. These moves are expensive and need to be based on long term outcome.  My gut says try to form a new conference. I would not be surprised if the P4 (w/o the Big 12) move into their own division.

MU may be up the creek without a paddle depending on how quick all these changes happen.  Not ideal right now that we have a lame duck President for the next 9 months and an interim Athletic Director for probably even longer.  No strong "leadership" to take charge, IMO.  Board of Governors essentially "rudderless", certainly no guidance or assistance can be expected from State Government and officials in Charleston.  Bad time to be lead by people who either don't have the necessary clout and can't or won't use what clout they do have.

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 07:43:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the AAC loses 3, then they need 4 to get back to 12. Would love to see Marshall, Appy State, UAB and a team to be named later added to the AAC!
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MUsince96

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 07:43:47 PM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 08:13:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really, really hope that some folks use their heads and put together a conference that is good football out of the Belt, CUSA and AAC remnants.  There's a 12 team conference in there that could be good for Marshall and make geographic sense.  I hope there aren't just 3-4 teams that blindly hop into the AAC when we have a great opportunity to make something better.

Tulsa and SMU need to be moved out of the AAC.  Throw them in with the CUSA Texas schools along with Arkansas State and the Louisiana trio. That gives you a southwest conference all on the other side of the Mississippi River.  They can take New Mexico if they want in a conference.

Then you take the Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi schools and put them together.

That leaves:

Marshall
    Memphis
    WKU
    MTSU
    Navy
    ECU
    App State
    ODU
    Charlotte
    Coastal Carolina
    Temple
    UMass

That's a good football and basketball conference IMO.

Throw out Temple and Umass and add in Liberty and JMU and you've got yourself a deal imo. If we are trying to save money on travel and form rivalries, Umass has no business being included.  JMU's overall athletic program is already better and much closer. Liberty is on rise and in footprint as well. Temple same thing. Noboby wants to play in Philly in winter.  Temple is 500+ miles from Hton and 8.5 hrs.  Umass is 750 miles and 12 hrs. Both those schools way better off in A10.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline elginherd

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Nope.
    I wish that was true.
    -Our formally solid FB tradtion is just that, formally solid.
    -BB, in the pits from Huckabee until DD. And with DD, we haven't exactly got over the hump yet as much as I enjoy watching his teams.
    -Huntington is not a great destination for conference visiting teams' fans. This not a reflection on our fans, but a reflection on this area's tourist appeal...and that would be huge considering the now decades long decreasing state support of MU. Marshall is malnourished funds-wise.
    -This area is not exactly a hotbed for FB & BB talent.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline sardistim

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 09:29:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the AAC loses 3, then they need 4 to get back to 12. Would love to see Marshall, Appy State, UAB and a team to be named later added to the AAC!

We should all keep in mind there is no magic in the number 12.  Conferences can have championship football games with less than 12 schools.  The only reason to keep adding teams is if school #11 and school #12 bring more relative value.  So, for instance, if a 10 school conference can get a TV contract for $10 million, and the next two schools are only going to bring the TV dollars to $11 million, then the original 10 will be losing money on an annual basis.  The entrance fee money will help, but long term is that what you want?

One of CUSA's mistakes was to add too many schools.  The Big 12 was smart staying at 10.

All that is to say IF the Big 12 does add 4 teams, still a big IF, the AAC won't necessarily replace all the schools they lose.

It all goes to the value $$$$$$ that the conferences believe each potential school brings.

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 09:29:35 PM »