Author Topic: Men's BB schedule is out  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Herdmeister

Re: Men's BB schedule is out
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 07:23:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Im all for a tough as can be schedule but we may not realize how hard that is to accomplish . Im hoping the new AD will let us go to some tourneys though . I wonder what DD has to say about this schedule .

Except for having to play the 2 D2 teams he loves it.
    He is happy that we play some very good mid majors that will compete for their conference championships, Toledo, Ohio, Akron, UNI and Wright State. Duquesne will also be very competitive in the tough A-10. Louisiana was one of the top 4 SBC teams last year.
    The alternative to play the D2 teams was to go to 1 or 2 more power schools on the road. We tried unsuccessfully to get road games at Vanderbilt and Wake Forest but they had no interest. Those would have been games we could have built some momentum. Playing at UNC or Kansas, not so much. He is all in favor of 1 money game a year like this year in famed Assembly Hall, but not 2 or 3. I look for forward to being there on Nov 27th.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 07:23:17 AM »

Online svherd

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 07:33:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just a quick run through, I say around 19-11 or so. Danny should have dropped a D2 and played a money game against a better opponent. jmho. Should be a fun to see how this team develops.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2021, 08:57:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • i guess i'm sorta with coach on the D2 vs $ game thing.  to be a mid-major, i just think it's bad for the program to get the crap kicked out of ya 3-4 times a yr just to bring home some $.  i mean, if we're going to try & build something here, you have to build a WINNING culture at some point, & we're way beyond the point of needing to do that.  i applaud them for the effort to get WF or Vandy, those should be winnable games for us.  but to subject yourself to several inevitable beatdowns at the hands of nat'l title contenders every yr, that's just not a good look for recruits & it's demoralizing to the team.  now if you're a MAC team or the rest of CUSA that doesn't really care, then maybe $ games should be your thing.  but danny cares.  our fanbase, more than most mid-majors, cares.  lots of Ws & NCAA bids are the key to building the program, not lots of $ & lots of blowout losses.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, horsrman, herdorbust

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Except for having to play the 2 D2 teams he loves it.
    He is happy that we play some very good mid majors that will compete for their conference championships, Toledo, Ohio, Akron, UNI and Wright State. Duquesne will also be very competitive in the tough A-10. Louisiana was one of the top 4 SBC teams last year.
    The alternative to play the D2 teams was to go to 1 or 2 more power schools on the road. We tried unsuccessfully to get road games at Vanderbilt and Wake Forest but they had no interest. Those would have been games we could have built some momentum. Playing at UNC or Kansas, not so much. He is all in favor of 1 money game a year like this year in famed Assembly Hall, but not 2 or 3. I look for forward to being there on Nov 27th.

So we had the opportunity to go on the road and play another blue blood or two....but we CHOSE to instead play Bluefield and Milligan. That's very discouraging to hear. Also for the record, Bluefield and Milligan are NAIA (that is below D2). They are in the same conference as Kentucky Christian.

So much for that BP mentality of anyone, anywhere, anytime.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2021, 09:36:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i guess i'm sorta with coach on the D2 vs $ game thing.  to be a mid-major, i just think it's bad for the program to get the crap kicked out of ya 3-4 times a yr just to bring home some $.  i mean, if we're going to try & build something here, you have to build a WINNING culture at some point, & we're way beyond the point of needing to do that.  i applaud them for the effort to get WF or Vandy, those should be winnable games for us.  but to subject yourself to several inevitable beatdowns at the hands of nat'l title contenders every yr, that's just not a good look for recruits & it's demoralizing to the team.  now if you're a MAC team or the rest of CUSA that doesn't really care, then maybe $ games should be your thing.  but danny cares.  our fanbase, more than most mid-majors, cares.  lots of Ws & NCAA bids are the key to building the program, not lots of $ & lots of blowout losses.

Yeah. Heaven forbid we go in there with a chip on our shoulders and ready to compete.  ::)

Online herd2win

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • So what some of you are saying is we are closer to being a D2 team than a tournament team.  We will learn nothing from playing a D2 team but can learn and maybe make a name for ourself by competing with a national brand team.

Sounds very weak to be afraid to play someone.  If we have the team some of you insiders say then we should be able to at least compete against most teams. 

CUSA is a 1 bid league that gets seeded 13 or lower, we will have to play a top 8 team if we win the conference so why not already have that experience so we know what to expect?

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88, Flat Tire 2, luckytoes99, herdfan129

Online svherd

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Grassie needs to make all the programs schedules.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: chris88, Flat Tire 2, luckytoes99, goherd24, herdfan129

Offline MUonium

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • So what some of you are saying is we are closer to being a D2 team than a tournament team.  We will learn nothing from playing a D2 team but can learn and maybe make a name for ourself by competing with a national brand team.

Sounds very weak to be afraid to play someone.  If we have the team some of you insiders say then we should be able to at least compete against most teams. 

CUSA is a 1 bid league that gets seeded 13 or lower, we will have to play a top 8 team if we win the conference so why not already have that experience so we know what to expect?

that part of your post is simply unfounded and untrue.  simple as that.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, miltonherdfan

Offline MUonium

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2021, 10:04:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JReese, good to see  your name on here.  how things going?  how's Jannson feeling about his team, place on the team and his grad work?  have a good season.

The following users thanked this post: JReese

Offline MUther

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2021, 10:23:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Louisiana (only team in the SN that even has a ring to it)

Your ignorance makes you look bad, not the Sunbelt.  You haven't heard of Georgia State, by your statement.

Georgia State:

NCAA Tournament Round of 32
    2001, 2015
    NCAA Tournament Appearances
    1991, 2001, 2015, 2018, 2019
    Conference tournament champions
    Conference regular season champions
    2000, 2001, 2002, 2014, 2015, 2019
    Conference division season champions
    1998, 2021

Lost by 7 in last year's Sunbelt Championship to App St.

We would kill for that resume and you don't know who they are.  Why don't you do a little research before you blanket disparage a whole conference based on ignorance. Oh and they beat Charlotte last year.  You know, Charlotte, one of those teams you think helps us be in a better basketball conference.

I understand you had to give a little props to Louisiana because if you slam the schedule then you're slamming Danny.  Complete conflict of interest, but you don't know anything about ULL, either.  You should look them up. 
    « Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:27:01 AM by MUther »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2021, 10:32:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • that part of your post is simply unfounded and untrue.  simple as that.

How is it untrue? Sounds like that's EXACTLY what is going on here. Maybe I read all of this wrong, but I am under the impression we chose to play Bluefield and Milligan as opposed to a Kentucky, Kansas, etc type of program.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2021, 10:34:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Your ignorance makes you look bad, not the Sunbelt.  You haven't heard of Georgia State, by your statement.

Georgia State:

2001, 2015
    1998, 2021

We would kill for that resume and you don't know who they are.  Why don't you do a little research before you blanket disparage a whole conference based on ignorance. Oh and they beat Charlotte last year.  You know, Charlotte, one of those teams you think helps us be in a better basketball conference.

I understand you had to give a little props to Louisiana because if you slam the schedule then you're slamming Danny.  Complete conflict of interest, but you don't know anything about ULL, either.  You should look them up.

Exactly. Bust has no credibility anymore. He has DD and CUSA blinders on. He was bashing the entire SBC just 2-3 days ago. Said he wouldn't go to any games if we were to join the SBC. Now he is defending Louisiana LOL

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2021, 10:34:08 AM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2021, 10:34:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ULL since CUSA 3.0 formed:
               Year          Conf       W      L
    1   2020-21   Sun Belt   17   9   
    2   2019-20   Sun Belt   14   19   
    3   2018-19   Sun Belt   19   13   
    4   2017-18   Sun Belt   27   7   
    5   2016-17   Sun Belt   21   12   
    6   2015-16   Sun Belt   19   15   
    7   2014-15   Sun Belt   22   14   
    8   2013-14   Sun Belt   23   12   

That includes wins over a lot of CUSA teams

Not so bad to share a conference with I wouldn't think.  Obviously you have no problem with them on the schedule if Danny put them there.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2021, 10:58:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ULL since CUSA 3.0 formed:
               Year          Conf       W      L
    1   2020-21   Sun Belt   17   9   
    2   2019-20   Sun Belt   14   19   
    3   2018-19   Sun Belt   19   13   
    4   2017-18   Sun Belt   27   7   
    5   2016-17   Sun Belt   21   12   
    6   2015-16   Sun Belt   19   15   
    7   2014-15   Sun Belt   22   14   
    8   2013-14   Sun Belt   23   12   

That includes wins over a lot of CUSA teams

Not so bad to share a conference with I wouldn't think.  Obviously you have no problem with them on the schedule if Danny put them there.

Go Herd!!!!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2021, 08:41:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, I appreciate the info about trying to schedule Wake Forest and Vandy.  What I would like to know is whether MU made any inquiries about trying to play the same "Major" opponents we had been scheduled to play in 20-21 in games that were cancelled.  Those would be the road games we had scheduled at VA Tech, at Xavier and at Kentucky.  I can't believe that none of the 3 schools were willing to schedule HOME games against the HERD in 21-22, having done so for the 20-21 season!  Oh, any of the three would have been closer travel wise than going to Bloomington, Indiana, if that was a consideration. 

And what did the Herd do in our 20-21 season that suddenly made all three "Majors" suddenly decide that "hey, we want no part of the Herd"? Was it our very strong "finish" in 20-21, including a ho hum quick exit in the CUSA Tourney against that powerhouse team from Rice?  I mean I'm sure all three teams know that the HERD lost three veteran players, including 2 starters, via the transfer portal!  Just puzzles me, but perhaps there is an explanation, if anyone inside the program will ever divulge it.  Hopefully, we'll see schools like Xavier, VA TECH and UK, all reasonably close to Huntington, again on our basketball schedules in the not too distant future!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2021, 08:49:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Gotta be pumped about Duquesne, N Iowa, Wright St, Louisiana (only team in the SN that even has a ring to it) UAB, WKU, ODU all coming to the cam this winter. Go Herd!!!

Lmao. Dude you gotta just stop, at least one time and say "yeah, this is a pretty shitty schedule" because it is the worst I've seen in a long time.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Your ignorance makes you look bad, not the Sunbelt.  You haven't heard of Georgia State, by your statement.

Georgia State:

2001, 2015
    1998, 2021

That's the point. That conference is a walk over. Getting the bid in the sunbelt means you're the tallest midget in the room.

Offline JReese

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JReese, good to see  your name on here.  how things going?  how's Jannson feeling about his team, place on the team and his grad work?  have a good season.

Things are going great. Thanks for asking. See you guys on 12/11. EKU hasn't posted their OOC schedule but I know as of now they are playing Western Kentucky, Eastern Illinois, Northern Kentucky and Radford. They are still working on a MTE tourny but I have not heard what teams will be involved. Oh, one more thing, the Friday after thanksgiving we will go up to play everyone's most favorite school......WVU. God I hate them.
    « Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:53:27 AM by JReese »
    All I have ever truly wanted to be was a great dad.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, svherd, chris88, coalherd, herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Things are going great. Thanks for asking. See you guys on 12/11. EKU hasn't posted their OOC schedule but I know as of now they are playing Western Kentucky, Northern Kentucky and Radford. They are still working on a MTE tourny but I have not heard what teams will be involved. Oh, one more thing, the Friday after thanksgiving we will go up to everyone's most favorite school......WVU. God I hate them.

Glad to hear from you, JReese.  Don't be a stranger once the round ball season starts.  I've got two college teams led by Herd alums to pull for this season, except for that "one" particular game, of course!  :D  :D :D

The following users thanked this post: JReese

Offline MUther

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2021, 07:30:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's the point. That conference is a walk over. Getting the bid in the sunbelt means you're the tallest midget in the room.

Well, we're barely an average midget in our room.  Why not go where we can win?  I think people are more afraid we might go there and not win.  What would that say about us and our criticism of those schools.  Kind of like complaining about how much CUSA football sucks, yet only pulling off one championship in 8 years of this iteration.  Marshall fans like to have their cake and eat it too.  The rest of the world knows that isn't possible.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2021, 08:20:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, we're barely an average midget in our room.  Why not go where we can win?  I think people are more afraid we might go there and not win.  What would that say about us and our criticism of those schools.  Kind of like complaining about how much CUSA football sucks, yet only pulling off one championship in 8 years of this iteration.  Marshall fans like to have their cake and eat it too.  The rest of the world knows that isn't possible.

You can say what you want but CUSA teams name recognition dwarfs the sunbelt in basketball. Most knowledgeable basketball fans have heard of UAB, WKU, UTEP, LT, ODU, S Miss etc,,, more than Texas Arlington, Georgia St, Texas St, Monroe, Arkansas St etc,,, and I?m talking strictly name recognition. Not saying CUSA teams are blue bloods but geesh 90% of the sunbelt  wouldn?t get naia fans pumped.
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 11:10:50 AM by herdorbust »

Offline chris88

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2021, 10:50:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

What natl title contenders have we played besides UVA? We played OSU, Louisville, Florida, Notre Dame, and Xavier close. Blown out by Maryland, Illinois, UVA, Texas AM off top of my head. What's wrong with that?  Not winning any of those competitive losses is on the coach. And not exactly the college BB murderer's row some are making it out to be. We lost by 50 points to S Miss for gosh sakes.  A good schedule has good competition and variety and should get you at least a sniff at an at-large bid if you play well enough. Seems like we play EKY or Morehead, Toledo, Akron, and OU most every year. WVU offered a game up there and said they would do a return game in Charleston and MU could keep all the money.  MU declined. That seems like a better deal than anything on this schedule. Seems to me the BB coach/others are more interested in being a top 150 BB school vs a top 50. I like DD, but it doesn't matter what HE thinks of the schedule. Most fans think it flat out sucks. If the players say they are excited about it, they are lying. And what the heck is CUSA doing? Scheduling WKY in back back games where you don't get to see how teams improve/change over course of season. Bush league. We could probably win every game and lose to IU and still not get an at large bid.  Wake me up when the conf tourney seedings are out.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: wesnky, Always THE HERD, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2021, 10:50:28 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2021, 11:12:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What natl title contenders have we played besides UVA? We played OSU, Louisville, Florida, Notre Dame, and Xavier close. Blown out by Maryland, Illinois, UVA, Texas AM off top of my head. What's wrong with that?  Not winning any of those competitive losses is on the coach. And not exactly the college BB murderer's row some are making it out to be. We lost by 50 points to S Miss for gosh sakes.  A good schedule has good competition and variety and should get you at least a sniff at an at-large bid if you play well enough. Seems like we play EKY or Morehead, Toledo, Akron, and OU most every year. WVU offered a game up there and said they would do a return game in Charleston and MU could keep all the money.  MU declined. That seems like a better deal than anything on this schedule. Seems to me the BB coach/others are more interested in being a top 150 BB school vs a top 50. I like DD, but it doesn't matter what HE thinks of the schedule. Most fans think it flat out sucks. If the players say they are excited about it, they are lying. And what the heck is CUSA doing? Scheduling WKY in back back games where you don't get to see how teams improve/change over course of season. Bush league. We could probably win every game and lose to IU and still not get an at large bid.  Wake me up when the conf tourney seedings are out.

Billy Donovan lost to Davidson by 50 at the Cam. I would say he turned out ok.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2021, 11:19:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speaking of schedules, below is Ohio U's basketball out of conference schedule for the coming season. They open with an exhibition with Capital on November 6.

Sat, Nov 13   
    @Cleveland State   

Mon, Nov 15   
    vs Robert Morris

Fri, Nov 19   
    @Kentucky

Mon, Nov 22   
    vs Mount St. Mary's

Wed, Dec 1   
    @LSU

Sat, Dec 4   
    vs St. Francis (PA)

Wed, Dec 15   
    vs Marshall

Wed, Dec 22   
    vs South Carolina Upstate

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 11:49:20 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone mentioned we played OSU close. The last time we played them in Columbus, we got our butts kicked. I was there and it was a complete behind the woodshed whipping. As for this current schedule, I like No Iowa and Duquense as OOC home opponents. Ohio is fine since it is close. EKU is fine because of A.W. Hamilton. Playing Indiana will be cool at Assembly Hall. The rest of the teams OOC just does not excite me. As for conference play, the only teams that perk me up a little are WKU, ODU, UAB and La Tech. The rest of the conference is blah. The two Florida schools do nothing for me. None of the Texas schools interest me. Southern Miss, since they lost that crazy coach, has done nothing for me. And it is no fun rooting against MTSU without Kermit Davis as the head coach. I realize it is hard to get some of the bigger schools to play you, especially at home. I have season tickets and will be at every game except the Milligan game. I have a prior commitment on that date or I would be there.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »