Author Topic: #5 Marshall v #20 Akron TONIGHT at 7  (Read 1317 times)

Offline herdthatandrew

#5 Marshall v #20 Akron TONIGHT at 7
« on: September 21, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another HUGE home contest tonight for the reigning National Champs!

Be there!
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 02:10:07 PM by herdthatandrew »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, luckytoes99, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

#5 Marshall v #20 Akron TONIGHT at 7
    « on: September 21, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »

Offline MUther

Re: #6 Marshall v #7 Akron TONIGHT at 7
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Be nice to come out with a W instead of a T with one of these "top" teams we're supposed to be one of.  I'm not complaining, just somewhat disappointed.  Really sends it home what a magical season last year was, though, and how lucky we were that goals fell at the right time.  It also shows how much we miss Jamil Roberts who had a knack for being in the right place at the right time so many games last season to get the win in the last minutes or seconds of an important game. Can't take anything for granted in the crazy world of soccer.  I just assumed we'd be stronger this year than last with all the returning starters.  And we may have that in us, but it hasn't broken out, yet.  Hopefully we get on a nice win streak starting with Akron.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 11:49:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll be watching on ESPN+. Can't wait. Go Herd!
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Online whf

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All, i have two season ticket / bleacher seat guaranteed tickets to tonight's game I am willing to give to a worthy (yes, you have to be worthy...hehe) attendee. They are electronic and I can send the link to you quickly.

Anyone want them? 

Heading out to Boone tomorrow AM so can't make it in to Hton tonight.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdthatandrew

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 12:28:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Be nice to come out with a W instead of a T with one of these "top" teams we're supposed to be one of.  I'm not complaining, just somewhat disappointed.  Really sends it home what a magical season last year was, though, and how lucky we were that goals fell at the right time.  It also shows how much we miss Jamil Roberts who had a knack for being in the right place at the right time so many games last season to get the win in the last minutes or seconds of an important game. Can't take anything for granted in the crazy world of soccer.  I just assumed we'd be stronger this year than last with all the returning starters.  And we may have that in us, but it hasn't broken out, yet.  Hopefully we get on a nice win streak starting with Akron.

Eh, draws happen. We drew and lost games last year and won the national championship. Soccer is a completely different game. We won't win them all. Sometimes you just have to take the point and move on.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, luckytoes99, herdfan129

Online svherd

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 01:35:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't we tie Akron last year? Yes, be nice to win this one tonight. I hope Grassie has worked to correct the communication issues between the defenders and Semmle. They just aren't nearly as smooth and playing confident as they were last year. Maybe its a formation issue.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't we tie Akron last year? Yes, be nice to win this one tonight. I hope Grassie has worked to correct the communication issues between the defenders and Semmle. They just aren't nearly as smooth and playing confident as they were last year. Maybe its a formation issue.

No, Akron was one of our 2 losses last year.  We got an early red card and played down a man for 70 minutes before finally losing in OT.

The new coaches poll is out today.  Marshall moves up a spot from 6th to 5th, and Akron has fallen from 7th to 20th.

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-di-men/
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:16:54 PM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 01:48:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

During the title postgame press conference, Grassie talked about how the team would have to tactically change as teams would look to adapt to what we are doing?  We are pressing more but its come at the cost of the lockdown defense... we've been countered several times this year, and that just didnt happen (much) last year (only really recall giving up a counter vs OVU and ODU).    This year we're scoring 3.00 goals per game, but are allowing 1.67 to the opponents.  Last year, we averaged the 1.67 goals per game, but allowed less than half a goal per game (0.44).  The goal differential per game is slightly better this year even though we've been more susceptible on defense.  I feel like Grassie has turned the dial up toward pressure away from possession a bit this year in an attempt to generate more offense. 

In reality, if we hadn't squandered the 2-0 second half lead against VT, we'd be 4-0-2 with top 25 wins and a quality Top 5 tie (and another Top 5 tie in exhibition play), still ranked Top 3, and saying this year's style has proven effective against a tougher schedule to date.

I do think that these are 2 VERY important games.  We're currently 13th in RPI - and RPI is what dinged us out of a national seed last year.  We need to get that number up - especially if we want a Top 4 seed as being a top 4 seed means you dont have to win one the road to get back to the College Cup.  We did benefit from the neutral site last year, else we would have had to win AT Clemson and AT Georgetown to get to the Cup.  If we dont get these wins, it'll be tough to see us getting a seed that keeps us home all the way to the College Cup.  One last thought - we actually MUST win against Kentucky this weekend - if we don't get 3 point from them at home, then we no longer control our own destiny in conference play for the regular season title as we have already drawn against Coastal Carolina.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, whf, luckytoes99

Online svherd

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 02:30:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, Akron was one of our 2 losses last year.  We got an early red card and played down a man for 20 minutes before finally losing in OT.

The new coaches poll is out today.  Marshall moves up a spot from 6th to 5th, and Akron has fallen from 7th to 20th.

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-di-men/

Oh that's right. Thanks for clarifying.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 02:34:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Additional information from the United Soccer Coaches poll.

Herd is #5.
    WVU is #4
    UK is #10 which we play home on Saturday night
    VATech is #12
    Bowling Green is #17
    Akron fell to #20 after loss to OSU
    FIU is #23
    JMU and Coastal Carolina are receiving votes

That means 7 of our first 8 opponents are either ranked or receiving votes. JMU was ranked previously when we played them. No matter what sport, this would be considered an extremely difficult schedule and is one reason why we are highly ranked at #5 with a 3-1-2 record. Can you imagine if our football or basketball team played a comparative schedule?

CoachMaclid, thanks for sharing the RPI insight and restating Coach Grassie?s emphasis that we would have to change tactically. We definitely need to do everything necessary to control home field advantage until the College Cup.

One thing I found interesting last season, WVU was ranked much higher than us in RPI by end of the season, but they weren?t offered a NCAA invite. Even with our loss to WVU I thought our RPI would have been higher given our domination in the conference but I know very little how RPI is calculated.

The change in tactics has definitely helped with scoring. There is an emphasis on pushing the ball forward fast. When the team is playing their A game it is a beautiful thing to watch. However it does put pressure on the back line. Depending on where we are on the field that back line has consisted as little as 1 to 2 players. The mid-fielders on counterattacks especially when tired (see WVU game) did not rush back to add support to the back line.  Also in a majority of the matches, one goal has been conceded due to possible mistakes by the goal keeper. We didn?t see that last season. For instance would a goal been scored if  the goalkeeper came out stronger on the first goal against WVU, which occurred with a soft chip shot over his head?

If we can cut down mistakes by the goalkeeper including the out of bounce kicks which leads to possession turnovers and give emphasis to the midfield helping with the counters, I think we will make a very strong run again this year.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline chris88

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 05:19:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Additional information from the United Soccer Coaches poll.

Herd is #5.
    WVU is #4
    UK is #10 which we play home on Saturday night
    VATech is #12
    Bowling Green is #17
    Akron fell to #20 after loss to OSU
    FIU is #23
    JMU and Coastal Carolina are receiving votes

That means 7 of our first 8 opponents are either ranked or receiving votes. JMU was ranked previously when we played them. No matter what sport, this would be considered an extremely difficult schedule and is one reason why we are highly ranked at #5 with a 3-1-2 record. Can you imagine if our football or basketball team played a comparative schedule?

CoachMaclid, thanks for sharing the RPI insight and restating Coach Grassie?s emphasis that we would have to change tactically. We definitely need to do everything necessary to control home field advantage until the College Cup.

One thing I found interesting last season, WVU was ranked much higher than us in RPI by end of the season, but they weren?t offered a NCAA invite. Even with our loss to WVU I thought our RPI would have been higher given our domination in the conference but I know very little how RPI is calculated.

The change in tactics has definitely helped with scoring. There is an emphasis on pushing the ball forward fast. When the team is playing their A game it is a beautiful thing to watch. However it does put pressure on the back line. Depending on where we are on the field that back line has consisted as little as 1 to 2 players. The mid-fielders on counterattacks especially when tired (see WVU game) did not rush back to add support to the back line.  Also in a majority of the matches, one goal has been conceded due to possible mistakes by the goal keeper. We didn?t see that last season. For instance would a goal been scored if  the goalkeeper came out stronger on the first goal against WVU, which occurred with a soft chip shot over his head?

If we can cut down mistakes by the goalkeeper including the out of bounce kicks which leads to possession turnovers and give emphasis to the midfield helping with the counters, I think we will make a very strong run again this year.

Clemson has a tough test at UNCG tonight.

Last years offense skewed by WV Sate in which MU scored 10 goals.

Worth noting that BG dominated FIU in 2-0 win to get them in top 20 and make FIU fall. BG is very good. Won MAC last year. WVU had a couple cancelled games last year that hurt their chances in NCAA and the field was significantly reduced due to COVID.  ETSU is only unranked team we've played and they were 2-0 when we played them and have a tie vs a top 25 team. You can tell the last 3 matches Grassie has honed in on strategy for this team a little more. 4-1 at ETSU, 1-0 vs very good BGSU on road, and WVU game. He is still looking for right balance. As stated, Akron game is big game but UK game much bigger from a conf standpoint. Butler isn't bad either. Indiana, UNC, and Pitt have all struggled more than us so far (other 3 college cup teams).  Georgetown and Clemson playing best so far (2 teams we beat last yr). After Saturday we will have played ranked/RV (BG was only one RV when we played them) teams in 13 of last 14 matches going back to CUSA game vs Charlotte last year to win CUSA title. You get better playing better teams. We are right there and with our experience will be a tough out even on road.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, parshall2marshall, luckytoes99

Offline parshall2marshall

Re: #5 Marshall v #20 Akron TONIGHT at 7
    « Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 07:01:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is 7 PM or a little after and I am not seeing it on ESPN+ yet.

Any ideas ?

EDIT: There it be, finally. All is well.
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 07:03:32 PM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: puma

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 07:01:51 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 07:40:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Believe BG along with Akron may be one of WVU's toughest challenges in the MAC this season.  Beginning of the year I figured Charlotte would be one of our toughest road tests in the Conference this season as we have to go there.  Anyway know how they are doing, current record, etc.?

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 07:58:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd up 1-0 at half. The Herd looked good throughout the half.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 08:00:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes looked good. Could easily have a few more goals. We have definitely controlled the game so far.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 08:05:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UNCG is up on Clemson 2-0 at the half.

Offline MUther

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 08:07:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes looked good. Could easily have a few more goals. We have definitely controlled the game so far.

That header goal that was offside, tho.  So close.  I was like YEA...@#$%!!!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 08:10:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• That header goal that was offside, tho.  So close.  I was like YEA...@#$%!!!

Yes. Definitely offsides on the replay. Wasn?t even close lol

We still missed a couple of other good looks though.

Offline MUther

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 08:11:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Eh, draws happen. We drew and lost games last year and won the national championship. Soccer is a completely different game. We won't win them all. Sometimes you just have to take the point and move on.

I understand that.  A draw is just an unnatural abomination.  They've been done away with for the most part in almost all other sports.  The modern sports fan needs a clear winner, not a good game.  Nothing less will do.   ;D

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline MUther

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 08:13:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes. Definitely offsides on the replay. Wasn?t even close lol

We still missed a couple of other good looks though.

Yeah, it was way offsides.  I meant so close to scoring.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 08:40:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m not sure why we are still playing so aggressive. We are up 2-0 with 25 minutes to go. Please for the love of God go back to our possession style of play and milk the clock.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 09:09:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd wins 2-0....we really needed this win tonight.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 09:09:56 PM »

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 09:14:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • #2 Clemson loses 3-1 at former all-girls school UNC-G. 17 shots to 6 .. dominant.

Camera was so shaky I was getting sea-sick after tuning in for just 30 seconds - scary production quality,

So a chance for the Herd to move up in the polls if we take care care of UK.

UPDATE:  Coastal and FAU battle to a 1-1 draw.
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:41:18 PM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 09:27:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We totally dominated play tonight, but from a soccer lay person perspective like myself we still look very vulnerable to counters. Akron missed 2 or 3 wide open nets. Obviously it is not easy to finish but my thinking is that an elite team would have made us pay. Akron did not seem worthy of being #20 as compared to some teams we have played that were not ranked.

Mostly seems it is quick guys breaking through and/or getting numbers against us. Like hf129, I would rather pull an extra defender back and take our chances in OT or with PK's in the NCAA tnmt. We seem as good as anyone on defense with everyone back in a half-pitch defensive stance.

No Adjetey that I saw, although with only 6 minutes left it looked like he was taking off the jacket and getting ready to sub in. Not sure whats up with that. Need to season him for next year IMHO.

Just my take.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 10:06:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • #2 Clemson loses 3-1 at former all-girls school UNC-G. 17 shots to 6 .. dominant.

Camera was so shaky I was getting sea-sick after tuning in for just 30 seconds - scary production quality,

So a chance for the Herd to move up in the polls if we take care care of UK.

UPDATE:  Coastal and FAU battle to a 1-1 draw.

Good win for Herd. Results starting to come even though still working through some things.

Told you above UNCG would be a tough game for Clemson. I went to grad school there. They have a terrific soccer stadium...holds about 6500 I think. They were a power in D3 before finally moving up eventually to D1. They had about 600 fans tonight for Clemson. Butler also beat ranked Lipscomb this evening. MU plays them after UK. Georgetown is #1 but not a great schedule thus far.  They beat Creighton over weekend on road. The blue Jays had over 6,000 people at the game as their annual "soctoberfest" game. GT scored tiebreaker with less than a minute to play. Coastal dominated the play vs FLA At. Coastal outshot FAU 22-4. WVU has advantage in MAC as I believe both Akron and BG come to Mtown.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 07:01:33 AM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 10:06:52 PM »