Author Topic: #5 Marshall v #20 Akron TONIGHT at 7  (Read 1311 times)

Offline sardistim

Re: #6 Marshall v #7 Akron TONIGHT at 7
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 10:21:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Be nice to come out with a W instead of a T with one of these "top" teams we're supposed to be one of.  I'm not complaining, just somewhat disappointed.  Really sends it home what a magical season last year was, though, and how lucky we were that goals fell at the right time.  It also shows how much we miss Jamil Roberts who had a knack for being in the right place at the right time so many games last season to get the win in the last minutes or seconds of an important game. Can't take anything for granted in the crazy world of soccer.  I just assumed we'd be stronger this year than last with all the returning starters.  And we may have that in us, but it hasn't broken out, yet.  Hopefully we get on a nice win streak starting with Akron.

I really think we are stronger this year than last (spring) year.  At this point in last season we were 4-1-1 with only one quality win over Bowling Green, who was receiving votes but outside the Top 25.  The only Top 25 team we played at that point (Akron) beat us.

Now, we are 4-1-2 with 2 quality draws and 3 quality wins and our only loss was to Top 25 VaTech, which came off 2 PKs in the last 20 minutes.

Compared to last season we are basically at the same place record wise, but have played MUCH harder teams.  We just beat Akron 2-0, whom we lost to 1-2 last season and just tied WVU, whom we lost to 0-1.  If Grassie does his usual thing and has this team playing at an increasingly higher level as the season goes on, we should be ready for another NCAA run.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, chris88, The E-Man, herdfifteen, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Re: #6 Marshall v #7 Akron TONIGHT at 7
    « Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 10:21:29 PM »

Offline chris88

Re: #5 Marshall v #20 Akron TONIGHT at 7
    « Reply #26 on: September 21, 2021, 10:26:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We totally dominated play tonight, but from a soccer lay person perspective like myself we still look very vulnerable to counters. Akron missed 2 or 3 wide open nets. Obviously it is not easy to finish but my thinking is that an elite team would have made us pay. Akron did not seem worthy of being #20 as compared to some teams we have played that were not ranked.

Mostly seems it is quick guys breaking through and/or getting numbers against us. Like hf129, I would rather pull an extra defender back and take our chances in OT or with PK's in the NCAA tnmt. We seem as good as anyone on defense with everyone back in a half-pitch defensive stance.

No Adjetey that I saw, although with only 6 minutes left it looked like he was taking off the jacket and getting ready to sub in. Not sure whats up with that. Need to season him for next year IMHO.

Just my take.

Akron had beaten Pitt when they were #3, tied Indiana when they were #3. They lost 0-1 at Ohio State before losing tonight to MU. They play in Mtown Sept 30. WVU beat Dayton tonight in Mtown.  I think Grassie will play more defensively like he did in NCAA tourney as season goes on. Still working to strike a balance. Spacing and timing still work in progress as MU had a whopping 12 offsides calls, including two disallowed goals. Fortunately for us we never got behind in NCAAs so we rarely had to "push" offensively.
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 10:39:25 PM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2021, 11:39:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree we are stronger and better this year. Take away the Va Tech loss and we are looking very good right now. That loss was a fluke where we dominated most of the game to be honest.

I also agree and hope that we play more defensive as we get in to the NCAAT, but I think Grassie is still trying to find that balance. Also think we are deeper this year. Still not as deep as we would like, but it's kind of weird to see us sub 3 guys in/out at a time lol.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 07:45:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree we are stronger and better this year. Take away the Va Tech loss and we are looking very good right now. That loss was a fluke where we dominated most of the game to be honest.

I also agree and hope that we play more defensive as we get in to the NCAAT, but I think Grassie is still trying to find that balance. Also think we are deeper this year. Still not as deep as we would like, but it's kind of weird to see us sub 3 guys in/out at a time lol.

I hope Souza is starting soon

Could be the missing piece as Roberts is showing to be a massive loss

Go Herd!

Online svherd

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 08:03:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very good, complete game for us. Like others have said, I am concerned about the counter from teams, we get caught flat footed sometimes. WVU was extremely fast and we had to really hustle back to defend. I am hoping Chris can strike a balance, we need better defensive play and better communication between the defenders and Semmle as well.

Hate that I will miss the UK game. Hope we whip the Cats good.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, The E-Man

Online marshallmark

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2021, 09:40:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope Souza is starting soon

Could be the missing piece as Roberts is showing to be a massive loss

Go Herd!

MU hasn't had trouble scoring -- its the inexplicable defensive lapses that worry me.  I don't think they miss Roberts at all.  Yet. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, The E-Man, elginherd, herdthatandrew

Online elginherd

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2021, 10:04:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • MU hasn't had trouble scoring -- its the inexplicable defensive lapses that worry me.  I don't think they miss Roberts at all.  Yet.

Agreed.
    If the Akron strikers had been more accurate, this match may have been a 2-2 draw.
    They had at least two 3-on-2 opportunities that the Zips had open looks at the net.

Also, the Herd was kind of lucky that the Zips didn't score early. They dominated the action for the first 3 or 4 minutes of the match.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline sardistim

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MU hasn't had trouble scoring -- its the inexplicable defensive lapses that worry me.  I don't think they miss Roberts at all.  Yet.

Agreed.  Roberts' graduation is not an issue.  It's the transition goals we have given up.  Alves and Leinhos are consistently playing very high.  Also, Max Schneider--who is the defensive mid--many times is also extremely high: note his disallowed offside goal yesterday >> he was 4 feet from the goal!!!  Now, soccer is a fluid game and player rotation happens in the most dynamic teams, but sometimes our aggressive style is exposing us on the defensive end.  Still, this is the kind of work that will make us a better team by season's end.

Souza was brought up--he and Lindo and Diop are all working on claiming Roberts starting spot. Souza's pace is fantastic.  His staying onside is not.  Of the three he may be the most dangerous, a threat to score against the opponent and a threat to give the ball up to the opponent.  Stay onside and keep possession and he'll probably become the regular starter--and keep his cool.  No more reds.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2021, 11:34:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well I'll just be honest, I don't like our current style of play. Yes it's more exciting, but I don't think it gives us the best chance to win. JMO.

Online svherd

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2021, 12:15:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed.  Roberts' graduation is not an issue.  It's the transition goals we have given up.  Alves and Leinhos are consistently playing very high.  Also, Max Schneider--who is the defensive mid--many times is also extremely high: note his disallowed offside goal yesterday >> he was 4 feet from the goal!!!  Now, soccer is a fluid game and player rotation happens in the most dynamic teams, but sometimes our aggressive style is exposing us on the defensive end.  Still, this is the kind of work that will make us a better team by season's end.

Souza was brought up--he and Lindo and Diop are all working on claiming Roberts starting spot. Souza's pace is fantastic.  His staying onside is not.  Of the three he may be the most dangerous, a threat to score against the opponent and a threat to give the ball up to the opponent.  Stay onside and keep possession and he'll probably become the regular starter--and keep his cool.  No more reds.

Agree, I am not a fan of our defenders pushing up that high. You would think Chris and the staff would see this and make adjustments. Maybe they are setting teams up by playing this way and shifting to another formation/style in conference tourney and NCAA play. Mind games maybe?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online marshallmark

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree, I am not a fan of our defenders pushing up that high. You would think Chris and the staff would see this and make adjustments. Maybe they are setting teams up by playing this way and shifting to another formation/style in conference tourney and NCAA play. Mind games maybe?

If you watch closely, you can see that as the defenders move up (if the defense allows it) the midfielders peel back to take the place of the defenders.  I don't think its exactly the same, but that was first pioneered by the Dutch in what they called their "Clockwork Orange" offense.  There's method to the madness.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, svherd, chris88

Offline coalherd

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2021, 10:15:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It all sounds like "Greek" to me!  But as long as the HERD keeps winning, I'll say "keep doing it, . . . whatever it is!"  :D

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2021, 10:15:28 PM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2021, 05:56:04 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I took some notes while watching the game replay on ESPN+ yesterday (yes I know that screams geek, but I am a strategic junkie).

After Akron early good chance MU dominated first half. Akron had 2 minor chances rest of half.  MU had 9 scoring chances in first half with 7 being good chances. We could have easily had 4 goal+ at halftime.

Akron had another good chance in first minute of second half. MU controlled the next six minutes which included 2nd goal and 2 other good chances.  At about the 33 minutes mark left in game until the 20 minute mark, Akron controlled play. In that 13 minute span, Akron had 6 chances, with 4 being good chances. Of those 4 good chances, Semmle made a good save, one of our D made a great defensive play, and Ak missed net high and then wide on the other 2. Rest of match, MU had 4 chances with 2 being good, and Akron had 3 chances..all of which were minor chances. For game Akron generated 14 scoring chances with 6 being good chances. 11 of those 14 came in 2nd half with 4 of their good chances being in that 13 minute stretch. MU had 18 chances, with 12 being good chances.  In the sloppy play period, it looked like a combo of fatique and not being focused/connected as Akron sent several passes into offensive zone in which Akron player beat MU to ball. It may have been about the 20 minute mark when grassie brought in 3 subs.

So in total, MU played really well for about 75 minutes, but rather poorly for about 15 minutes. MU handled Akrons pressure reasonably well. Much better than pressure from some other teams, but still had that big lapse in play that led to several stretch passes connecting for Akron and several good chances. MU applied some pressure as well for a few minutes of match and was reasonably successsful at it.  Perhaps we'll see more of that situationally going forward. Not sure why Adjetly, Adams, and a couple more aren't getting some time as Akron subbed more than MU and MU was coming off difficult WVU match. Akron has skill. I expect them to give WVU a good game in Motown next week. Seems MU is getting closer but still not there yet.  UK game huge this Sat
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, svherd, luckytoes99, elginherd, herdfan129

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #38 on: September 23, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I took some notes while watching the game replay on ESPN+ yesterday (yes I know that screams geek, but I am a strategic junkie).

After Akron early good chance MU dominated first half. Akron had 2 minor chances rest of half.  MU had 9 scoring chances in first half with 7 being good chances. We could have easily had 4 goal+ at halftime.

Akron had another good chance in first minute of second half. MU controlled the next six minutes which included 2nd goal and 2 other good chances.  At about the 33 minutes mark left in game until the 20 minute mark, Akron controlled play. In that 13 minute span, Akron had 6 chances, with 4 being good chances. Of those 4 good chances, Semmle made a good save, one of our D made a great defensive play, and Ak missed net high and then wide on the other 2. Rest of match, MU had 4 chances with 2 being good, and Akron had 3 chances..all of which were minor chances. For game Akron generated 14 scoring chances with 6 being good chances. 11 of those 14 came in 2nd half with 4 of their good chances being in that 13 minute stretch. MU had 18 chances, with 12 being good chances.  In the sloppy play period, it looked like a combo of fatique and not being focused/connected as Akron sent several passes into offensive zone in which Akron player beat MU to ball. It may have been about the 20 minute mark when grassie brought in 3 subs.

So in total, MU played really well for about 75 minutes, but rather poorly for about 15 minutes. MU handled Akrons pressure reasonably well. Much better than pressure from some other teams, but still had that big lapse in play that led to several stretch passes connecting for Akron and several good chances. MU applied some pressure as well for a few minutes of match and was reasonably successsful at it.  Perhaps we'll see more of that situationally going forward. Not sure why Adjetly, Adams, and a couple more aren't getting some time as Akron subbed more than MU and MU was coming off difficult WVU match. Akron has skill. I expect them to give WVU a good game in Motown next week. Seems MU is getting closer but still not there yet.  UK game huge this Sat

Great stuff Chris!

Offline herdthatandrew

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2021, 12:27:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure why Adjetly, Adams, and a couple more aren't getting some time as Akron subbed more than MU and MU was coming off difficult WVU match. Akron has skill. I expect them to give WVU a good game in Motown next week. Seems MU is getting closer but still not there yet.  UK game huge this Sat

There have been some reports that Alex has some small dings. Jacob is healthy; not quite sure why he hasn't seen the field more early this year.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2021, 12:35:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Amazing how Grassie won a National title but some don?t like our style of play this year. Maybe Grassie is looking at the long haul and not game by game? Maybe he is putting in different things to mesh them as the season goes so this team will be more dangerous at the end? Still be very hard to go back to back but I?m sure Grassie doesn?t need any help on what he is doing.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, luckytoes99

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2021, 12:43:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let me say, first of all, I don't pretend to know anything about soccer. Overall, the sport does nothing for me. But, I will root for the Herd to win. Herdorbust may be on to something. Coach may be trying some different things to get the team to come together for later in the season. I have no idea how many more games are left in the season. I would think things would start to come together by now or real soon. Big match against UK coming up. Hope we spank them good.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Amazing how Grassie won a National title but some don?t like our style of play this year. Maybe Grassie is looking at the long haul and not game by game? Maybe he is putting in different things to mesh them as the season goes so this team will be more dangerous at the end? Still be very hard to go back to back but I?m sure Grassie doesn?t need any help on what he is doing.

We are playing a different style this year and that is obvious. I don't think anyone on here has claimed to be unhappy with Grassie, or claimed to know more than Grassie.

Unlike you, most of us can discuss and even mention things we don't understand or agree with while still supporting the coach. You are one of the few who thinks that a coach can never be questioned on anything.
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:44:01 PM by herdfan129 »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are playing a different style this year and that is obvious. I don't anyone on here has claimed to be unhappy with Grassie, or claimed to know more than Grassie.

Unlike you, most of us can discuss and even mention things we don't understand or agree with while still supporting the coach. You are one of the few who thinks that a coach can never be questioned on anything.

I think questioning a guy that has won National Championships is a little silly. Again, I?m sure he knows what he is doing and trying to make the team the best it can be by the end of the year. Do you just think he decided to completely change his system after winning a NC? I?m sure he has his reasons and he feels it is best for his team. But carry on or maybe call him and tell him you don?t approve.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2021, 01:47:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think questioning a guy that has won National Championships is a little silly. Again, I?m sure he knows what he is doing and trying to make the team the best it can be by the end of the year. Do you just think he decided to completely change his system after winning a NC? I?m sure he has his reasons and he feels it is best for his team. But carry on or maybe call him and tell him you don?t approve.

Has it ever occurred to you that some people question as a way to learn as opposed to a way to criticize?

It's ok Bust. People can ask questions and actually share their thoughts of disagreement while still supporting the coach and program. I know that's foreign to you, but I promise it's possible.

Have you watched any of the soccer games this year? I thought I remembered you saying you don't like soccer and thought it was boring so you don't watch it, but it's possible I have you confused with someone else.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2021, 02:03:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has it ever occurred to you that some people question as a way to learn as opposed to a way to criticize?

It's ok Bust. People can ask questions and actually share their thoughts of disagreement while still supporting the coach and program. I know that's foreign to you, but I promise it's possible.

Have you watched any of the soccer games this year? I thought I remembered you saying you don't like soccer and thought it was boring so you don't watch it, but it's possible I have you confused with someone else.

Actually I haven?t. But I think it?s funny how you say you don?t like our style now and should go back to the way we were playing. Having questions is one thing and I get that. But you seem to know more than any coach out there. Saying Danny was stubborn and finally learning on the job? Really? I?ll guarantee he knows more than you ever dreamed of about basketball. As someone else stated a little bit ago. Maybe you can become AD, commissioner and coach? We would be smooth sailing I?m sure.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Actually I haven?t. But I think it?s funny how you say you don?t like our style now and should go back to the way we were playing. Having questions is one thing and I get that. But you seem to know more than any coach out there. Saying Danny was stubborn and finally learning on the job? Really? I?ll guarantee he knows more than you ever dreamed of about basketball. As someone else stated a little bit ago. Maybe you can become AD, commissioner and coach? We would be smooth sailing I?m sure.

Exactly. You haven't watched a single game, so go lay down somewhere. I'm not the only person in this thread or other soccer threads who have said the same thing. I have sound countless times that Grassie has forgotten more about soccer than I will ever know and that I trust him. You just like to cherry pick comments to fit your narrow minded agenda.

As for DD. I'm not going to let you hijack this thread with your unwavering love for the do no wrong DD.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2021, 04:52:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's obvious he's still tinkering with both personnel and strategy. This is good because he has a open mind to changing and tweaking tactics for the team overall and as it relates to specific opposition team is playing. Better than coaches that remain dogmatic and/or stubborn in their approach to the game. The difficult schedule also allows him and staff to see how talented, well coached programs attack us and adapt to what we do. Look back and all of his teams are better by end of year. The team is improving. Gave uo 7 goals in first 3 matches, but just 3 in last 4 matches. He'll find the balance.

UK game big as both UK and us have tied Coastal, who has already played 4 CUSA games (1-0-3) A win gives us a leg up on both in CUSA.

The following users thanked this post: luckytoes99, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2021, 04:57:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's obvious he's still tinkering with both personnel and strategy. This is good because he has a open mind to changing and tweaking tactics for the team overall and as it relates to specific opposition team is playing. Better than coaches that remain dogmatic and/or stubborn in their approach to the game. The difficult schedule also allows him and staff to see how talented, well coached programs attack us and adapt to what we do. Look back and all of his teams are better by end of year. The team is improving. Gave uo 7 goals in first 3 matches, but just 3 in last 4 matches. He'll find the balance.

UK game big as both UK and us have tied Coastal, who has already played 4 CUSA games (1-0-3) A win gives us a leg up on both in CUSA.

Agreed. And once he and the team figures out that balance then we have a real shot to re-peat, or at the very least, make a deep run.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2021, 04:59:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly. You haven't watched a single game, so go lay down somewhere. I'm not the only person in this thread or other soccer threads who have said the same thing. I have sound countless times that Grassie has forgotten more about soccer than I will ever know and that I trust him. You just like to cherry pick comments to fit your narrow minded agenda.

As for DD. I'm not going to let you hijack this thread with your unwavering love for the do no wrong DD.

You do a great job of proving my point. You constantly think you know more than the coaches. Then you like to straddle the fence and say I like a coach and then turn around and act like they don?t have a clue. You say you like Danny but says he finally learned to run a zone since you know so much about them. You act like he is a fool for not getting a GT. You question everything he does like he hasn?t a clue and then you say, but I like him as coach lol. Makes no sense that he does virtually everything you wouldn?t do but you want him as coach. I sure wouldn?t if I had that many problems with him.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2021, 04:59:43 PM »