Author Topic: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bold statement about stepping up budgets  (Read 1299 times)

Offline elginherd

Re: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bolt statement about stepping up budgets
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 10:13:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not sure why so many think the league office is in Frisco. The office is on Olympus Blvd in Dallas.  The basketball championships are in Frisco. Nothing more

From MU's, WKU's, ODU's UNCC's & MTSU's POV, there ain't much difference between Dallas & Frisco, except maybe the various pooh-bahs might have take an additional connecting flight.

From the Herd's POV, the league office might as well be in Moscow, Russia. We might get more even-handed treatment than from this Texas centered POS of a conference.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Re: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bolt statement about stepping up budgets
    « Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 10:13:55 AM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 11:22:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m still at a loss why so much love for the belt. I get Appy st being our only rival. But other than that, I don?t get the love. CC is a 2 year fad that could fall back down to earth at any minute. Other than that a bunch of no names. Now we may have to go there and I get it, but the way the conferences stand at the Moment I would take the names in CUSA anyday when you look at football and basketball.

I'm not going to lie. I was big on the Belt for a bit, but that has waned for me. ESPN and App St are the ONLY reasons I would be interested in moving.

I would rather stay in CUSA IF...and its a big IF, we can make some changes.

Tweak the media deal to where Facebook games are NOT part of Tier 1/2 of the media package. Try to get at least one conference game per week on actual CBS at noon as the lead in for the SEC 3:30 slot. Allow for each school to get their Tier 3/4 games on local TV.

The other thing is I want us to put an actual emphasis on improving basketball and being a consistent multi bid league. We are super close and have been for a while, all without any actual game plan. If we have scheduling mandates and other things then we could get over the hump. I'm cool with the football not being as good top to bottom as long as we are a multi bid league in basketball. I'm not ok having crappy football in a one bid league, if that's the case then we should definitely move to the SBC.

Last but not least, stop being so centered around Texas. Hopefully we lose some Texas teams and this would help with that.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 11:40:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not going to lie. I was big on the Belt for a bit, but that has waned for me. ESPN and App St are the ONLY reasons I would be interested in moving.

Tweak the media deal to where Facebook games are NOT part of Tier 1/2 of the media package. Try to get at least one conference game per week on actual CBS at noon as the lead in for the SEC 3:30 slot. Allow for each school to get their Tier 3/4 games on local TV.

The other thing is I want us to put an actual emphasis on improving basketball and being a consistent multi bid league. We are super close and have been for a while, all without any actual game plan. If we have scheduling mandates and other things then we could get over the hump. I'm cool with the football not being as good top to bottom as long as we are a multi bid league in basketball. I'm not ok having crappy football in a one bid league, if that's the case then we should definitely move to the SBC.

Last but not least, stop being so centered around Texas. Hopefully we lose some Texas teams and this would help with that.

Agree 100%.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 11:46:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not going to lie. I was big on the Belt for a bit, but that has waned for me. ESPN and App St are the ONLY reasons I would be interested in moving.

This would all be great but the problem is those are all big IFs. You aren't going to pull Appy or Coastal over by saying we will try our best to negotiate and improve, but no guarantees. If you can't pull them over then after UAB and a few Texas schools go, our TV money is going to drop even more. It's just not a very likely scenario.

We'd have to go with media deals in hand and say look Appy and Coastal this is a guaranteed deal if you sign on the line and that deal better cover their expenses of exit/entry fees plus be a significant tv deal bump. Just isn't happening.

ESPN has zero reason to throw CUSA a lifeline. They already have Sun Belt and they know they can get the couple of teams that help tv over there. ESPN doesn't need to feed yet another hardly relevant conference and our current TV partners have the opportunity to get more/better games but don't.
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 11:47:51 AM by HoPPy785 »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, MUsince96

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 12:01:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This would all be great but the problem is those are all big IFs. You aren't going to pull Appy or Coastal over by saying we will try our best to negotiate and improve, but no guarantees. If you can't pull them over then after UAB and a few Texas schools go, our TV money is going to drop even more. It's just not a very likely scenario.

We'd have to go with media deals in hand and say look Appy and Coastal this is a guaranteed deal if you sign on the line and that deal better cover their expenses of exit/entry fees plus be a significant tv deal bump. Just isn't happening.

ESPN has zero reason to throw CUSA a lifeline. They already have Sun Belt and they know they can get the couple of teams that help tv over there. ESPN doesn't need to feed yet another hardly relevant conference and our current TV partners have the opportunity to get more/better games but don't.

Everyone is in love with the sunbelt for 2 reasons. CC and Appy and that only applies to football. Like I said basketball has nothing to offer if you buy tickets to the games. There isn?t a name in that conference that gets you excited in basketball like a UAB, WKU, LT or ODU. And football has thise 2 names and nothing else. Appy is the only team that has been solid and stable for years. CC has had 2 good years and a coaching change could drop them like a rock. If we do end up going there I sure hope we take 2-3 with us. Otherwise I can?t just can?t see supporting anymore. I pray something better comes up or at least 2-3 more CUSA teams go with us.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2021, 12:05:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone is in love with the sunbelt for 2 reasons. CC and Appy and that only applies to football. Like I said basketball has nothing to offer if you buy tickets to the games. There isn?t a name in that conference that gets you excited in basketball like a UAB, WKU, LT or ODU. And football has thise 2 names and nothing else. Appy is the only team that has been solid and stable for years. CC has had 2 good years and a coaching change could drop them like a rock. If we do end up going there I sure hope we take 2-3 with us. Otherwise I can?t just can?t see supporting anymore. I pray something better comes up or at least 2-3 more CUSA teams go with us.

The hoops teams everyone seems to enjoy playing- UAB, ODU, WKU, Charlotte, and LT.

UAB will be gone to the AAC
    Rumors are ODU might be coming with us to the Belt.

So LT, WKU, and Charlotte would be left? That's the big sticking point for not going to the Belt? And if we don't go Charlotte probably takes our spot.   

So then we?re left with LT and WKU. That?s who we?d be looking at as far as marquee hoops opponents. Those 2 teams are THAT big of a deal?
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:06:51 PM by MUsince96 »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, svherd, HoPPy785

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone is in love with the sunbelt for 2 reasons. CC and Appy and that only applies to football. Like I said basketball has nothing to offer if you buy tickets to the games. There isn?t a name in that conference that gets you excited in basketball like a UAB, WKU, LT or ODU. And football has thise 2 names and nothing else. Appy is the only team that has been solid and stable for years. CC has had 2 good years and a coaching change could drop them like a rock. If we do end up going there I sure hope we take 2-3 with us. Otherwise I can?t just can?t see supporting anymore. I pray something better comes up or at least 2-3 more CUSA teams go with us.

Wrong Bust....the BIGGEST reason most of us are interested in the SBC is ESPN > Facebook.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2021, 12:10:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Wrong Bust....the BIGGEST reason most of us are interested in the SBC is ESPN > Facebook.

Then WOW!!

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2021, 12:39:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2021, 12:47:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Then WOW!!

I'm not sure why that is a shock to you. That's a major difference.

I bet most would prefer to stay in CUSA if we had a better media deal.

Offline MUsince96

Re: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bold statement about stepping up budgets
    « Reply #35 on: September 22, 2021, 12:49:26 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • There seems to be a mental hurdle of arguing C-USA as is against Sun Belt as is.

Instead of what C-USA will likely look like after realignment vs. Sun Belt after realignment.

Throw in the media deal and a raided C-USA is not something most are interested in.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, HoPPy785

Offline GreenDaddy

Re: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bold statement about stepping up budgets
    « Reply #36 on: September 22, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There seems to be a mental hurdle of arguing C-USA as is against Sun Belt as is.

Instead of what C-USA will likely look like after realignment vs. Sun Belt after realignment.

Throw in the media deal and a raided C-USA is not something most are interested in.

I am not sure how anyone can argue against playing on ESPN vs what he have now. IF and that is a big  if, reports are true from the SBC poster that works within Louisiana athletic department that the new deal is paying them 1.3 million per school, then why would anyone choose to only make 400K and have less visibility?

Imo, ESPN can willingly ignore you if you are having a great season. So moving forward I think that it is a necessity that we have them pimping us. Any G5 team in a conference that does not have an ESPN affiliation will never grab an access bowl bid. You can take it to the bank.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan93, HoPPy785, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2021, 12:59:42 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep adding AA teams to CUSA really made it shine, and some want another

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2021, 01:00:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

CUSA could end up looking better AFTER realignment is over.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2021, 01:02:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CUSA could end up looking better AFTER realignment is over.

What teams are going to take a step down to CUSA in order to make that happen?

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, HoPPy785

Offline herd2win

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would prefer we don?t wait and see what CUSA looks like but be pro-active and put MU in the best possible place.  Regional is always better.  If CUSA gets raided then I don?t want to play UTEP or other Western teams.

Surprised Rice is not mentioned more?maybe they are B12 bound.

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2021, 01:06:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep adding AA teams to CUSA really made it shine, and some want another

It propelled the SBC past us in conference standings. The difference is they added AA teams with strong football traditions and fan support. JMU, who I assume you are alluding to is more likely to be an App State versus an ODU. Markets and potential are bad business.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, HoPPy785, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2021, 01:12:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What teams are going to take a step down to CUSA in order to make that happen?

Losing the Texas schools alone would make this conference better without adding anyone.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2021, 01:31:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Losing the Texas schools alone would make this conference better without adding anyone.

This^^^^^^^^^

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2021, 01:38:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This^^^^^^^^^

No it won't. You think we will drop arguably our biggest name in UAB then some of our biggest markets, add some FCS scrubs and somehow get better on the field and in our TV deal? Nobody is jumping from Sun Belt to CUSA, so CUSA can only backfill with FCS teams or stay the same. Staying put certainly won't equate to more money for everyone.

Bust are you super excited for basketball season with 3 or 4 FCS come ups tagged onto the schedule? Can't wait for Jacksonville St. rivalry to heat up.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2021, 01:49:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No it won't. You think we will drop arguably our biggest name in UAB then some of our biggest markets, add some FCS scrubs and somehow get better on the field and in our TV deal? Nobody is jumping from Sun Belt to CUSA, so CUSA can only backfill with FCS teams or stay the same. Staying put certainly won't equate to more money for everyone.

Bust are you super excited for basketball season with 3 or 4 FCS come ups tagged onto the schedule? Can't wait for Jacksonville St. rivalry to heat up.

UAB is our biggest name? LOL....since when? UAB is TRASH. They happened to have their first streak of winning seasons in history. They haven't proven crap to me. They will be right back to being trash before long.

Also, we said....without adding anyone, but for the record, I would rather have JMU or Liberty over all of the Texas teams and UAB.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2021, 01:50:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No it won't. You think we will drop arguably our biggest name in UAB then some of our biggest markets, add some FCS scrubs and somehow get better on the field and in our TV deal? Nobody is jumping from Sun Belt to CUSA, so CUSA can only backfill with FCS teams or stay the same. Staying put certainly won't equate to more money for everyone.

Like I said. Unless at least 2-3 go with us, then I?m a big NO on the sunbelt mirage.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2021, 01:50:00 PM »

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2021, 01:52:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like I said. Unless at least 2-3 go with us, then I?m a big NO on the sunbelt mirage.

2 or 3 will, it just might not be exactly who you hope for. ODU, Southern are most likely.

Offline forphase1

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2021, 01:55:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Not really true.  It's not just the teams there that make things attractive, it is getting out of CUSA and the cluster that conference has became.  CUSA chased markets and because of that they have so many under performing teams like ODU, Charlotte, FIU etc.  These are teams that NEVER have been good in football, and likely will never be.  At least in SBC there are teams who are trying to better themselves and who had success at some level, with few exceptions.  Yes, basketball is perhaps a step down in 'names', but basketball doesn't drive the bus, and both are 1 bid leagues.  Big deal.   Both conferences are not very good in basketball, with the Sunbelt being a couple of places worse by most basketball metrics.  But factor in football, ESPN, getting rid of CUSA/Judy and going from 4 Texas football teams to 1, and being in a conference that hopefully won't look at the eastern programs with distain (see CUSA Championship, 2013), I feel it's a much better place for Marshall than CUSA.  Yes, we can all put up a wish list of things that CUSA could do to entice us to stay.  But does anyone really think they are going to fire Judy, move the offices out of Texas to a more central location, treat the eastern schools as equal to those out west, get our best games off of Facebook Watch, take the best teams from the Sunbelt, etc?  It ain't happening.   

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785, herdfan129

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2021, 01:55:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UAB is our biggest name? LOL....since when? UAB is TRASH. They happened to have their first streak of winning seasons in history. They haven't proven crap to me. They will be right back to being trash before long.

Also, we said....without adding anyone, but for the record, I would rather have JMU or Liberty over all of the Texas teams and UAB.

Oh I fully agree with you on UAB. They will prove to be a mistake, however it's what AAC and ESPN seem to want over everyone else available in our conference so they carry the most tv revenue weight.

If we stay the same we will lose more money. We can't drop these schools and keep our current tv contract.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2021, 01:55:44 PM »