Author Topic: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bold statement about stepping up budgets  (Read 1330 times)

Offline herdorbust

Re: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bolt statement about stepping up budgets
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not really true.  It's not just the teams there that make things attractive, it is getting out of CUSA and the cluster that conference has became.  CUSA chased markets and because of that they have so many under performing teams like ODU, Charlotte, FIU etc.  These are teams that NEVER have been good in football, and likely will never be.  At least in SBC there are teams who are trying to better themselves and who had success at some level, with few exceptions.  Yes, basketball is perhaps a step down in 'names', but basketball doesn't drive the bus, and both are 1 bid leagues.  Big deal.   Both conferences are not very good in basketball, with the Sunbelt being a couple of places worse by most basketball metrics.  But factor in football, ESPN, getting rid of CUSA/Judy and going from 4 Texas football teams to 1, and being in a conference that hopefully won't look at the eastern programs with distain (see CUSA Championship, 2013), I feel it's a much better place for Marshall than CUSA.  Yes, we can all put up a wish list of things that CUSA could do to entice us to stay.  But does anyone really think they are going to fire Judy, move the offices out of Texas to a more central location, treat the eastern schools as equal to those out west, get our best games off of Facebook Watch, take the best teams from the Sunbelt, etc?  It ain't happening.

I get tired of it doesn?t matter because both are a one bid league. It matters to me a lot. I want to have a little bit of name or history behind a team and not just a no name. Heck at least Rice has been heard of all over the country. I?m not interested in any and I mean any team CUSA brings in basketball except maybe The Rajin Cajuns. We can debate it all day long but there aren?t many people that would get excited with any of those teams in basketball. And they have 2 teams basically in football that bring something to the table Appy st and CC. And If CC loses their coach, and they will, then who knows about them. I have no say over where we go and nobody else does either. Only thing I have a say is where I spend my money. And I would have a very hard time unless they make it more attractive.

HerdFans.com

Re: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bolt statement about stepping up budgets
    « Reply #50 on: September 22, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2021, 02:32:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I get tired of it doesn?t matter because both are a one bid league. It matters to me a lot. I want to have a little bit of name or history behind a team and not just a no name. Heck at least Rice has been heard of all over the country. I?m not interested in any and I mean any team CUSA brings in basketball except maybe The Rajin Cajuns. We can debate it all day long but there aren?t many people that would get excited with any of those teams in basketball. And they have 2 teams basically in football that bring something to the table Appy st and CC. And If CC loses their coach, and they will, then who knows about them. I have no say over where we go and nobody else does either. Only thing I have a say is where I spend my money. And I would have a very hard time unless they make it more attractive.

I?ll just repost this from earlier since you bring up hoops names again-

The hoops teams everyone seems to enjoy playing- UAB, ODU, WKU, Charlotte, and LT.

UAB will be gone to the AAC
    Rumors are ODU might be coming with us to the Belt.

So LT, WKU, and Charlotte would be left? That's the big sticking point for not going to the Belt? And if we don't go Charlotte probably takes our spot.   

So then we?re left with LT and WKU. That?s who we?d be looking at as far as marquee hoops opponents. Those 2 teams are THAT big of a deal?

As for only two good football teams. Since 2016 they?ve had 4 different teams in the Top 25. Some at the same time.

Has C-USA 3.0 had anyone ranked besides us and WKU?

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, HoPPy785, herdfan129

Offline forphase1

Re: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bold statement about stepping up budgets
    « Reply #52 on: September 22, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But both are a one bid league, you can't deny that fact.  I get it matters to you, and to others who are big basketball fans, I get it.  But football drives the bus, and with the exception of the Big East and UConn/UMass, football is the driving factor behind all the moves the past 20 years or so.  Yes, it's a hit in basketball as there are a FEW teams in CUSA with bigger basketball names, like WKU and Charlotte, than what currently are in the SBC.  Though to be honest I don't think those in the CUSA are really all that attractive either, one is a pig with lipstick, the other is a pig without.  Most of the CUSA quality basketball moved to the American unfortunately back in the day.  As to spending your money, I get that.  I quit going to games in protest of Doc.  You certainly have the right to stop going to basketball games if you don't like the new names that are coming to the Joan.  Hopefully if a move like this happens, the basketball OOC schedule can be improved....I doubt it based on past results, but maybe.  Point it, this is a football first decision, and yes it will be at the expense of basketball a bit more than likely.  Maybe a few of the better basketball teams will come with us (ODU, Charlotte, etc) though I'm not sure that happens.

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2021, 02:38:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?ll just repost this from earlier since you bring up hoops names again-

The hoops teams everyone seems to enjoy playing- UAB, ODU, WKU, Charlotte, and LT.

UAB will be gone to the AAC
    Rumors are ODU might be coming with us to the Belt.

So LT, WKU, and Charlotte would be left? That's the big sticking point for not going to the Belt? And if we don't go Charlotte probably takes our spot.   

So then we?re left with LT and WKU. That?s who we?d be looking at as far as marquee hoops opponents. Those 2 teams are THAT big of a deal?

As for only two good football teams. Since 2016 they?ve had 4 different teams in the Top 25. Some at the same time.

Has C-USA 3.0 had anyone ranked besides us and WKU?

Why are you trying to convince me? I despise sunbelt basketball. That is just me. If you like it then good for you. And football does nothing other than 2-3 teams at the moment. It feels more like going back to the southern than moving forward. I hope the Joan has 40k and the Cam has 9k at the games. I just don?t think I?ll be one of them unless there is more to the story.

Offline herdorbust

Re: Now is the time for C-USA to make a bold statement about stepping up budgets
    « Reply #54 on: September 22, 2021, 02:41:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But both are a one bid league, you can't deny that fact.  I get it matters to you, and to others who are big basketball fans, I get it.  But football drives the bus, and with the exception of the Big East and UConn/UMass, football is the driving factor behind all the moves the past 20 years or so.  Yes, it's a hit in basketball as there are a FEW teams in CUSA with bigger basketball names, like WKU and Charlotte, than what currently are in the SBC.  Though to be honest I don't think those in the CUSA are really all that attractive either, one is a pig with lipstick, the other is a pig without.  Most of the CUSA quality basketball moved to the American unfortunately back in the day.  As to spending your money, I get that.  I quit going to games in protest of Doc.  You certainly have the right to stop going to basketball games if you don't like the new names that are coming to the Joan.  Hopefully if a move like this happens, the basketball OOC schedule can be improved....I doubt it based on past results, but maybe.  Point it, this is a football first decision, and yes it will be at the expense of basketball a bit more than likely.  Maybe a few of the better basketball teams will come with us (ODU, Charlotte, etc) though I'm not sure that happens.

It matters because I buy season tickets!!! I don?t have any desire to watch those teams. Since it is a one bid league and it doesn?t matter I?ll just wait and hope we get that bid and enjoy the ncaa tournament.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why are you trying to convince me? I despise sunbelt basketball. That is just me. If you like it then good for you. And football does nothing other than 2-3 teams at the moment. It feels more like going back to the southern than moving forward. I hope the Joan has 40k and the Cam has 9k at the games. I just don?t think I?ll be one of them unless there is more to the story.

Just pointing out the flaws in your argument.

Most of the CUSA teams you enjoy in hoops would be gone. And the Sun Belt football is better than two teams for 2 years.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2021, 02:47:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just pointing out the flaws in your argument.

Most of the CUSA teams you enjoy in hoops would be gone. And the Sun Belt football is better than two teams for 2 years.

There are no flaws. Why would I pay for something I don?t enjoy? I?m speaking from my perspective. I get we may have to move. But it doesn?t mean I think it will be better. It means there is a life raft and we jumped on. Sad really.

Offline Collis P

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2021, 03:47:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• There are no flaws. Why would I pay for something I don?t enjoy? I?m speaking from my perspective. I get we may have to move. But it doesn?t mean I think it will be better. It means there is a life raft and we jumped on. Sad really.

Herdorbust - It looks like there are just a few basketball fans who agree with your assessment of the Sunbelt - I for one agree with you.  I would like to be invited to the AAC ( however most everyone thinks that's not going to happen) - If not, then I really believe the Sunbelt is at best, a lateral move for football.  I honestly feel ALL of our other sports will suffer (so here we go again Paying exit fee and Entry fee for nothing) (which Marshall doesn't have) And like you, I really do not want to watch subpower teams. 

All this will take place sooner than later, and I hope our Administration/BOG really take a hard look at there decision, as this will be make or brake for Marshall....................................................   
    S M I L E -

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2021, 03:50:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CUSA is possibly about to become, by far, the worst D1 league.  I don't think the AAC boat has completely sailed.  Doubt the western teams join.  I think the Sun Belt, with the right additions and upgraded media deal, might make as much sense as joining the AAC.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan93, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2021, 04:04:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh I fully agree with you on UAB. They will prove to be a mistake, however it's what AAC and ESPN seem to want over everyone else available in our conference so they carry the most tv revenue weight.

If we stay the same we will lose more money. We can't drop these schools and keep our current tv contract.

I have a hard time believing ESPN wants UAB over us. Look at the TV ratings. No comparison. I think its the AAC more about chasing markets, UAB being R1 and ranked in the Top 150 in academics, and they just happened to be winning right now.

Marshall Average rating per channel since 2013:

ESPN: 1.804 Million (4 games over 2 Million)
    CBS: 1.25 Million
    ESPN2: 752k
    ESPNU: 436k
    FS1: 284k

Average UAB TV Viewership Since 2013

ESPN- 935k
    ESPN2- 722k
    ESPNU- 578k
    FS1- 79k
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I get tired of it doesn?t matter because both are a one bid league. It matters to me a lot. I want to have a little bit of name or history behind a team and not just a no name. Heck at least Rice has been heard of all over the country. I?m not interested in any and I mean any team CUSA brings in basketball except maybe The Rajin Cajuns. We can debate it all day long but there aren?t many people that would get excited with any of those teams in basketball. And they have 2 teams basically in football that bring something to the table Appy st and CC. And If CC loses their coach, and they will, then who knows about them. I have no say over where we go and nobody else does either. Only thing I have a say is where I spend my money. And I would have a very hard time unless they make it more attractive.

Bust, I would agree with you IF CUSA actually had a game plan to be a consistent 2+ bid league. We have been very close countless times, so with a little bit of actual leadership then we could definitely get there.

At this point there's no difference to the average fan. Don't believe me, go look at our attendance figures in previous years. Winning and date/time of game matters more than our opponent. We had games where we had more fans for F_U than we did ODU/Charlotte/UAB etc.

So you are 100% in the vast minority in this regard.

I'm cool with sacrificing football if we are in a legit multi bid basketball conference. I agree that the SBC doesn't really impress me outside of App, but they do have a deal with ESPN which is MUCH better than what we currently have.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2021, 04:10:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It matters because I buy season tickets!!! I don?t have any desire to watch those teams. Since it is a one bid league and it doesn?t matter I?ll just wait and hope we get that bid and enjoy the ncaa tournament.

You go to practice and you are going to watch us play Louisiana and the multiple NAIA teams we play this year so come on man...get serious lol

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, HoPPy785

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2021, 04:10:51 PM »

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2021, 04:19:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have a hard time believing ESPN wants UAB over us. Look at the TV ratings. No comparison. I think its the AAC more about chasing markets, UAB being R1 and ranked in the Top 150 in academics, and they just happened to be winning right now.

Marshall Average rating per channel since 2013:

ESPN: 1.804 Million (4 games over 2 Million)
    CBS: 1.25 Million
    ESPN2: 752k
    ESPNU: 436k
    FS1: 284k

Average UAB TV Viewership Since 2013

ESPN- 935k
    ESPN2- 722k
    ESPNU- 578k
    FS1- 79k

I find it hard to believe AAC adds anyone without being told it's a help to maintaining tv money.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2021, 04:31:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdorbust - It looks like there are just a few basketball fans who agree with your assessment of the Sunbelt - I for one agree with you.  I would like to be invited to the AAC ( however most everyone thinks that's not going to happen) - If not, then I really believe the Sunbelt is at best, a lateral move for football.  I honestly feel ALL of our other sports will suffer (so here we go again Paying exit fee and Entry fee for nothing) (which Marshall doesn't have) And like you, I really do not want to watch subpower teams. 

All this will take place sooner than later, and I hope our Administration/BOG really take a hard look at there decision, as this will be make or brake for Marshall....................................................

I agree with you. People are swimming for any ship right now and just hoping for the best. Unless the Sunbelt takes 2-4 CUSA teams that have some name recognition then it will stink. Basketball brings nothing as for as enjoyment watching the games. And football is a couple teams having bad years to looking like a 1AA league. I really hope there is some talk about 3-4 of us sticking together for leverage.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2021, 04:33:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with you. People are swimming for any ship right now and just hoping for the best. Unless the Sunbelt takes 2-4 CUSA teams that have some name recognition then it will stink. Basketball brings nothing as for as enjoyment watching the games. And football is a couple teams having bad years to looking like a 1AA league. I really hope there is some talk about 3-4 of us sticking together for leverage.

You have been defending our OOC schedule with multiple NAIA teams.... c'mon man, get serious.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2021, 04:35:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Bust, I would agree with you IF CUSA actually had a game plan to be a consistent 2+ bid league. We have been very close countless times, so with a little bit of actual leadership then we could definitely get there.

At this point there's no difference to the average fan. Don't believe me, go look at our attendance figures in previous years. Winning and date/time of game matters more than our opponent. We had games where we had more fans for F_U than we did ODU/Charlotte/UAB etc.

So you are 100% in the vast minority in this regard.

I'm cool with sacrificing football if we are in a legit multi bid basketball conference. I agree that the SBC doesn't really impress me outside of App, but they do have a deal with ESPN which is MUCH better than what we currently have.

No difference to the average fan? I?ll guarantee you if you took a poll if fans would rather play wku, UAB, LT, odu, s Miss etc or Texas Arlington, Texas st, Monroe, troy etc in basketball there would be a huge difference. I?m an average fan and those teams do zilch, nada, zero for me.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2021, 04:38:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• You have been defending our OOC schedule with multiple NAIA teams.... c'mon man, get serious.

Why do you do this? Show me where I said I like Milligan or bluefield? I said I really like Wright st, Duquesne, n Iowa at hime. And toledo, akron, ou, EKU on the road with Indiana is a good schedule. So just stop saying I like the 2 naia schools. Or show me where I said it now!!!

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2021, 04:40:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• You go to practice and you are going to watch us play Louisiana and the multiple NAIA teams we play this year so come on man...get serious lol

Lol so you go to those 3 games and discount the entire conference schedule? Oh wouldn?t it be nice to play bluefield, Milligan and an entire sunbelt conference schedule. Talk about excitement!!!!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2021, 04:52:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No difference to the average fan? I?ll guarantee you if you took a poll if fans would rather play wku, UAB, LT, odu, s Miss etc or Texas Arlington, Texas st, Monroe, troy etc in basketball there would be a huge difference. I?m an average fan and those teams do zilch, nada, zero for me.

I guarantee you that based on attendance, it DOES NOT MATTER!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2021, 04:53:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Why do you do this? Show me where I said I like Milligan or bluefield? I said I really like Wright st, Duquesne, n Iowa at hime. And toledo, akron, ou, EKU on the road with Indiana is a good schedule. So just stop saying I like the 2 naia schools. Or show me where I said it now!!!

Are you going to the following games or staying home bust?

Bluefield
    Milligan
    Louisiana

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2021, 04:57:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guarantee you that based on attendance, it DOES NOT MATTER!

Like I said. I hope you enjoy those games and there is 9000 in the Cam. But if they don?t bring at least 2-3 teams with us, I?m done. That is just me. You can argue all you want but that league has pathetic basketball name recognition.

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2021, 05:08:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • SBC poster that usually has pretty good information is sharing that WKU making a hard pitch to get back into the SBC, so this is not a Marshall only interest.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2021, 05:08:12 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2021, 05:11:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here you go Bust...proof you live in your own reality. Any logical person can look at this and realize that outside of winning, the day in which we play matters more than anything, possibly more than winning to be honest.

For instance, in Jan we played F_U twins back to back with the Saturday game drawing a lot more. Then in March we once again played them back to to back, but this time we played a different one on Saturday and guess what, the Saturday game once again drew A LOT more.

Your precious "name brand basketball teams" of UTEP and UAB actually were the lowest crowds of the entire season minus the exhibition game against D2 WV Wesleyan and they were pretty much the same in attendance. Yes....WV Wesleyan drew just as many fans as UTEP and UAB.

So I will once again stand by my statement that the average fan will not care if we are playing a SBC schedule or a CUSA schedule. You are salty and that's fine, but the average fan either doesn't care.

2018-2019 Home Game Attendance

November

Thurs vs WV Wesleyan- 5,721
    Sun vs Hofstra- 7,854
    Weds vs MT ST Mary's- 6,050
    Mon vs NC A&T- 6,162
    Weds vs William & Mary- 6,187

December

Sat vs Toledo- 6,232
    Mon vs Morehead- 6,253

January

Sat vs WKU- 7,687
    Thurs vs FAU- 6,196
    Sat vs FIU- 7,330
    Thurs vs UTEP- 5,765

February

Sat vs UTSA- 7,182
    Thurs vs UAB- 5,521
    Sat vs MTSU- 6,927

March

Weds vs FIU- 5,822
    Sat vs FAU- 7,097

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2021, 05:12:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like I said. I hope you enjoy those games and there is 9000 in the Cam. But if they don?t bring at least 2-3 teams with us, I?m done. That is just me. You can argue all you want but that league has pathetic basketball name recognition.

I'll ask again....

Are you going to the following games or staying home bust?

Bluefield
    Milligan
    Louisiana

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2021, 05:13:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • SBC poster that usually has pretty good information is sharing that WKU making a hard pitch to get back into the SBC, so this is not a Marshall only interest.

As you can tell by the FACTS I have presented, Bust not only lives in his own reality, but he is also full of it. If he's going to the Louisiana, Bluefield, and Milligan games then there's no reason not to go to the SBC games.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2021, 05:13:42 PM »