Author Topic: FBS Bottom 25  (Read 993 times)

Offline herdfan129

FBS Bottom 25
« on: September 23, 2021, 09:29:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some of you seriously want to spend $10 million entry fee to join this bunch? Looking at the current AAC teams in the bottom 25 as well as the teams they are targeting for expansion. Does anyone really think this is a step up for CUSA/MWC/Sun Belt teams? It's actually kind of funny. SBC has potential to pass them up in terms of actual on field success.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-expansion-vote-will-not-be-held-next-week-as-resistance-to-process-grows/

Half of the AAC leftovers are in the bottom 25. You would think they would want to actually improve the quality of football programs, but instead it looks like they are just adding to the bottom while chasing marketz

Current AAC Teams

#4 Navy
    #13 Tulsa
    #17 USF
    #24 Temple

AAC Expansion Targets

#1 Rice
    #20 North Texas
    #21 Colorado St
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: whf, wesnky

HerdFans.com

FBS Bottom 25
    « on: September 23, 2021, 09:29:30 AM »

Online elginherd

Re: FBS Bottom 25
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 10:19:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some of you seriously want to spend $10 million entry fee to join this bunch? Looking at the current AAC teams in the bottom 25 as well as the teams they are targeting for expansion. Does anyone really think this is a step up for CUSA/MWC/Sun Belt teams? It's actually kind of funny. SBC has potential to pass them up in terms of actual on field success.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-expansion-vote-will-not-be-held-next-week-as-resistance-to-process-grows/

Half of the AAC leftovers are in the bottom 25. You would think they would want to actually improve the quality of football programs, but instead it looks like they are just adding to the bottom while chasing marketz

Current AAC Teams

#4 Navy
    #13 Tulsa
    #17 USF
    #24 Temple

AAC Expansion Targets

#1 Rice
    #20 North Texas
    #21 Colorado St

Navy fell off the cliff last season. Until then they've been good for a number of years. They'll be back..
    CSU has a good FB tradition, there's a good chance they'd be a good addtion if the AAC can pry them away from the MWC.

Temple was very good under Matt Rhule, but usually is a FB weak sister.
    The rest will have some random good seasons.

While I agree that the AAC 2.0 isn't exactly an order of magnitude better than the CUSA in FB the Herd has to jump to it if given the opportunity. Even if & when Memphis leaves, ESPN will still be involved and it'll still be a better bball conference.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:23:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CSU is TRASH man...go look at their history.

Temple is TRASH minus the Rhule years.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 10:47:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Below link to ESPN Bottom Ten. Only one CUSA team on the list, Rice at 4th place. UConn at 1st place and UMass at number 2; both Independents.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32252439/college-football-bottom-10-week-3-misery-loves-company-edition

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 10:50:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way they keep their P6 narrative. They will be just another G5 group of teams hoping to string together a few good seasons before their coach leaves for a power team.

You can say I'm mad the hot girl didn't pick me or whatever but it's the honest truth that I don't care about any of the AAC schools left. I'd still rather go for the money and exposure but the connection of schools is not great.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • It's funny how every conference and it's teams are trash accept the one (Sun Belt) we currently might have a chance at joining. Imagine that.

WV disease at it's finest. If you can't keep up with the guys doing it right...set the bar lower...and downplay other's success and big moves. That's exactly what we are doing. This is the definition of an inferiority complex. We don't think the pretty girl will go to the prom with us, so we'll say she's ugly, and proceed to talk up ol' Gretchen who hasn't showered in 4 weeks, has 3 teeth, and leg hair hanging out of her overalls...cuz with her...well, we have a chance. 

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 11:27:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's funny how every conference and it's teams are trash accept the one (Sun Belt) we currently might have a chance at joining. Imagine that.

WV disease at it's finest. If you can't keep up with the guys doing it right...set the bar lower...and downplay other's success and big moves. That's exactly what we are doing. This is the definition of an inferiority complex. We don't think the pretty girl will go to the prom with us, so we'll say she's ugly, and proceed to talk up ol' Gretchen who hasn't showered in 4 weeks, has 3 teeth, and leg hair hanging out of her overalls...cuz with her...well, we have a chance.

SBC isn't any better than these other options. I've said the only thing that would excite me is if we combined CUSA East and SB East to form a new conference.

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 11:51:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I haven't seen many say they still wouldn't obviously take AAC over Sun Belt or CUSA. I think we all would. It's the teams that will be there that aren't exciting. These teams are the ones we used to hate playing in CUSA 2.0, aside from ECU.

To use your girl analogy... If the hot girl is a big b*tch you'd still get with her if she asked but you probably wouldn't be excited about marrying her.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, THECHAMPISHERE

Online svherd

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 01:33:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This fan base wants rivalries and schools we are familiar with. Games we drive to for the most part. Whether that?s a revamped AAC or SB, who knows but that?s what the BOG, Prez and AD need to determine what is the best fit for Marshall. We aren?t gonna draw crowds for Temple, USF, Texas State and schools like that

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785, herdfan129

Offline andy31

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 01:36:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't seen many say they still wouldn't obviously take AAC over Sun Belt or CUSA. I think we all would. It's the teams that will be there that aren't exciting. These teams are the ones we used to hate playing in CUSA 2.0, aside from ECU.

To use your girl analogy... If the hot girl is a big b*tch you'd still get with her if she asked but you probably wouldn't be excited about marrying her.

I will openly say I'd rather be in the Sun Belt than what will be left of the AAC particularly after Memphis leaves.
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:37:44 PM by andy31 »

Offline MUther

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 01:38:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Current AAC Teams

ECU would have been there, too, if we knew how to play football.

#4 Navy
    #13 Tulsa
    #17 USF
    #24 Temple

AAC Expansion Targets

#1 Rice
    #20 North Texas
    #21 Colorado St

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will openly say I'd rather be in the Sun Belt than what will be left of the AAC particularly after Memphis leaves.

Same here!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 01:54:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m a hard pass on the AAC.  Their TV deal will be lowered by ESPN for the teams they are rumored to be targeting. 

I?m fine with the Sunbelt.  Although an optimum would be an eastern based conference, however I?m not sure there are enough will to move to make it happen.

CUSA would be OK if there was some clear leadership but unless people start raising a stink to get Judy out it will not change. This is why I prefer the Sunbelt.

Online THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 02:08:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will openly say I'd rather be in the Sun Belt than what will be left of the AAC particularly after Memphis leaves.

So for you and others, why? Outside of Appalachian State....which has won less meaningful games than Temple over the last 5 years and Coastal...who has exactly 1 good FBS year in their program's history...who are you all drooling over in the Sun Belt that makes it so much better than the AAC?  I am genuinely interested in knowing.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Online THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 02:12:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m a hard pass on the AAC.  Their TV deal will be lowered by ESPN for the teams they are rumored to be targeting.

And it will still double the Sunbelt. Insane rational.

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So for you and others, why? Outside of Appalachian State....which has won less meaningful games than Temple over the last 5 years and Coastal...who has exactly 1 good FBS year in their program's history...who are you all drooling over in the Sun Belt that makes it so much better than the AAC?  I am genuinely interested in knowing.

That's a pretty good question and when I think critically about it, it's tough to answer beyond Appy. For me, living in Charlotte area, I selfishly like the idea of trips to Atlanta, Savannah, Boone, Myrtle Beach. Those are all easy drives and places I'd enjoy spending a weekend. I think the reality is none of this is perfect.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 02:18:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So for you and others, why? Outside of Appalachian State....which has won less meaningful games than Temple over the last 5 years and Coastal...who has exactly 1 good FBS year in their program's history...who are you all drooling over in the Sun Belt that makes it so much better than the AAC?  I am genuinely interested in knowing.

That has been my question all along. Without additions the Sunbelt as it stands right now does absolutely nothing for me. I get I?ll thinking about it. Now if 3-4 more go it may be tolerable.

Offline andy31

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 02:41:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Why must my answer exclude one of the reasons I prefer the Sun Belt?  We have a historic connection to App State and Georgia Southern + those schools have actual fan bases.  Coastal Carolina is appealing given the fact that they're good right now and a fun place to travel for a road game.  Louisiana has become a top 25 program recently.  If Memphis leaves, that would leave us with Tulsa, Tulane, Temple, ECU, South Florida, SMU & maybe Navy + whoever the AAC adds (Presumably UAB, and if what we are hearing is true UTSA).  I like ECU and Navy, but you can keep the rest of that lot.  I think if we're making predictions about future TV deals, neither the SBC or AAC will have a great one.  I just am failing to see what advantage being in the AAC would give us.  So I just feel more comfortable with the stability and forward looking prospects of the Sun Belt.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, HoPPy785

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 02:48:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So let's take a look at possible conference divisions we'd be in, based on rumors.

AAC:
    Temple: don't care about them
    ECU: would love to play annually
    USF: would like playing annually
    UAB: don't care about them
    Memphis: they will be gone soon
    Tulane: don't care about them

Sun Belt:
    Appy: would love to play them annually (more than anyone else)
    Coastal: would like to play them annually
    GA Southern: would like to play them annually
    GA State: don't care about them
    ODU: don't care about them
    JMU/WKU: would like to play them annually

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 02:56:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?ll take a turn?

AAC:
    UAB: love them good in football and basketball

Sun Belt:
    Appy: would love to play them only in football
    Coastal: would like to play them annually only in football
    GA Southern: could care less about them
    ODU: absolutely in basketball

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785, herdfan129

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 03:07:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?ll take a turn?

AAC:
    UAB: love them good in football and basketball

Sun Belt:
    Appy: would love to play them only in football
    Coastal: would like to play them annually only in football
    GA Southern: could care less about them
    ODU: absolutely in basketball

So both scenarios have 2 don't care at all teams. Not as far off as you'd think when you really break it down. Mine was fairly equal, with one less don't care at all for Sun Belt. Obviously basketball gives you a different perspective Bust. Mine was from a football perspective.

How do you feel about each scenario overall from an away game travel experience? For me, I'd be dead smack in the middle of that Sun Belt division and that's a huge positive. Also I like many of these towns.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 03:17:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So both scenarios have 2 don't care at all teams. Not as far off as you'd think when you really break it down. Mine was fairly equal, with one less don't care at all for Sun Belt. Obviously basketball gives you a different perspective Bust. Mine was from a football perspective.

How do you feel about each scenario overall from an away game travel experience? For me, I'd be dead smack in the middle of that Sun Belt division and that's a huge positive. Also I like many of these towns.

I don?t look at destinations. I look strictly at football and basketball. Now I can give or take also but there has to be a balance. For example Appy isn?t much of a basketball school but I would still want them. Just like ODU isn?t much of a football school but are very solid in basketball and still has a football fanbase and potential with the right coach. WKU is high on my list because they usually bring both just like UAB and LT does. S Miss has been down but they have name recognition in both and have a solid tradition. Imo the Sunbelt needs to boot about 2-3 teams and bring in about 4-5 of CUSA and or James Madison.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 03:17:13 PM »

Online MUsince96

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 03:17:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

If you?re going to ask questions of others I?ll ask mine again that you didn?t answer the other day-

Quote from: THECHAMPISHERE on September 20, 2021, 03:43:20 PM
    Taking some of the garbage with us that helps make our current conference suck, to go to another conference that sucks, so that we don't have to stay in our current conference that sucks. Sounds exciting!

Please explain how they suck while also acknowledging they?ve had multiple ranked teams the last few years (some at the same time) and have a real TV deal.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 03:55:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

SBC is just as good as the current AAC without the $10 million entry fee. That's my take on it anyways.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 03:59:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t look at destinations. I look strictly at football and basketball. Now I can give or take also but there has to be a balance. For example Appy isn?t much of a basketball school but I would still want them. Just like ODU isn?t much of a football school but are very solid in basketball and still has a football fanbase and potential with the right coach. WKU is high on my list because they usually bring both just like UAB and LT does. S Miss has been down but they have name recognition in both and have a solid tradition. Imo the Sunbelt needs to boot about 2-3 teams and bring in about 4-5 of CUSA and or James Madison.

OR....when CUSA loses 3-4 teams we replace them with either SBC teams or JMU/Liberty.

I really like CUSA East to be honest. It's just the terrible leadership from Judy and the Texas centered conference that gets me.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 03:59:28 PM »