Author Topic: Did many of you expect an undefeated season ???  (Read 361 times)

Offline Herd-nficent

Did many of you expect an undefeated season ???
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:23:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Delusions of grander ...  First year head coach, new position coaches, new systems and expected to not lose a game.

Yes I'm disappointed with 4th quarter performance, but I believe we will improve.  Time will tell.

GO HERD !!!
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, herdorbust, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Did many of you expect an undefeated season ???
    « on: September 24, 2021, 11:23:20 AM »

Offline herdfan129

Re: Did many of you expect an undefeated season ???
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:44:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Agreed....people forget....Pruett only went undefeated in FBS one time...1999.

We can still have an excellent season. I actually think there's a good chance Huff wins 10 games this year...his first year.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herd2win

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 11:57:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No but also did not expect to be outscored 31-0 in the 4th quarter and losing twice when the games were in hand.

Huff should learn from the mistakes he is making in time management and burning time outs.  Doc left talent to win and I like the improvements on offense but the defense is worse.  We have the same record we would have had with Doc.

The following users thanked this post: Big City, parshall2marshall, Herd at Work, s1uggo, MUther

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 11:59:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No but also did not expect to be outscored 31-0 in the 4th quarter and losing twice when the games were in hand.

Huff should learn from the mistakes he is making in time management and burning time outs.  Doc left talent to win and I like the improvements on offense but the defense is worse.  We have the same record we would have had with Doc.

If that were the case then why didn't Doc win?  ::)
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 03:57:46 PM by The E-Man »

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Herd at Work

• Junior Varsity
    • Still wearin the green- and still winnin
    « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 11:59:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Im as disappointed as anyone, losing another game in the same fashion with a two score lead going into the 4th. I was angry. we need much better defensive play late, all the depth means little if they run it or pass it at will  as they march down the field, and we struggle in the red zone.
    "At Marshall we play for championships"-Bob Pruett

Online s1uggo

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 12:03:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Is that were the case then why didn't Doc win?  ::)

he did. 

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No .... we lost to Rice, UAB and Buffalo last year.  I expected 6-6 to 7-5

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Offline muherd34

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

So talent on paper isnt that strong.  I do agree there is some talent on the team, but we need a huge influx of talent in the secondary.  According to Rivals, since 2018 here is how our classes on paper have ranked nationally.
    2018- #71
    2019- #67
    2020- #69
    2021- #100+(not even ranked)

So you take out most Docs best recruits that didnt even suite up for the Herd and "on paper" our talent level is sub-par.

Online sardistim

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 12:31:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Do you think Huff was expecting to be outscored 31-0 in the 4th Q and lose two straight games?

We may have had the same record with Doc, but do you really think we would have been in last night's game at all with Doc ball?  App State with Brice at QB is so much better than last year's team and we lost our best defensive players to graduation--not to mention their crowd was hyped up and last year we were at home--it would have been a typical lopsided Doc loss in an important game.

We may have the same record heading into CUSA play as we would have had with Doc, but this team has the look of one that will take the East without any head scratching losses to team we should easily beat.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, MicDrass1

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 12:50:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • he did.

Really? He lost the last 3 last year and got shut out at hime to Rice. Remember cincy being up 40-0 at halftime at the Joan? Or what about the Akron game at home? Remember lowly start up Charlotte coming to the Joan and whipping us? Or the beat down UCF put on us in the bowl game? What about 2016 and the meltdown that year? Or the Boise disaster when we did get a first down for an entire half? I could write a book.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, mr_ash_1995, DC01HERD, go1970herd, The E-Man, herdfan129

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 01:06:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Holliday improves this team by 0000000000.  The talent is not there in the back 7.  Beckett and Hodge were clearly the best defensive players we had by a mile the previous 2 years.  We just do not have it right now.  Need to adjust the scheme to the players we have and I think we will. 

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdorbust, herdfan129

Online Tim Hensley

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 01:18:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Naw.  Guess I'd be happy with 8-4 at this point.  Sure would have been nice to have won one of the last two games.  I'm not worried -- Huff is driven and will not accept losing.  I guess Doc left us a little shorter than we thought.  The poor defense is being left on the field too long and has no time to recover.

What is going on conference-wise?  Judy is a classic case of "while Nero fiddled, Rome burned."  Honey. in case you haven't noticed your beloved Dallas headquarters is a dumpster  fire!  Time to look elsewhere, lateral  move or not...

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 01:18:41 PM »

Offline banker

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 03:45:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The melt down last year was due to a massive blow up parking lot fight. After that incident the team was done.

We didn?t give up more than 22 points to anyone all last year and when was the last time we gave up 500+ yards in back to back games?

I?m very happy Doc is gone and am happy Huff is here, but he should have kept Lambert, his defensive staff is not getting it done.

The following users thanked this post: herdfifteen

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 04:00:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The melt down last year was due to a massive blow up parking lot fight. After that incident the team was done.

We didn?t give up more than 22 points to anyone all last year and when was the last time we gave up 500+ yards in back to back games?

I?m very happy Doc is gone and am happy Huff is here, but he should have kept Lambert, his defensive staff is not getting it done.

Even if Lambert had stayed, we should still have depth and talent issues in key positions. Again, losing both Hodge and Beckett really is hurting our defense...

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, Herdmeister

Offline herd2win

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 04:08:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Depth is not the reason we lost the last 2 games.  Our talent and depth were up big in both 4th quarters.  Huff needs to adjust to be a better manager of the clock.  Have a lead in the second half, slow down the offense to eat clock and give our defense a rest.

I believe our DC is in over his head and Huff does not have defensive experience.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 04:15:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Depth is not the reason we lost the last 2 games.  Our talent and depth were up big in both 4th quarters.  Huff needs to adjust to be a better manager of the clock.  Have a lead in the second half, slow down the offense to eat clock and give our defense a rest.

I believe our DC is in over his head and Huff does not have defensive experience.

I agree on managing the clock better to eliminate opponents possessions in the 2nd half when we are up.  The last 2 weeks we gave up points late in 1st half when just a couple of run plays by our offense instead of passes would have saved us from being scored on.  We did not pressure with blitzes last night and were torched and cut wide open on the run.  We need better players we need better players.

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 04:58:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So talent on paper isnt that strong.  I do agree there is some talent on the team, but we need a huge influx of talent in the secondary.  According to Rivals, since 2018 here is how our classes on paper have ranked nationally.
    2018- #71
    2019- #67
    2020- #69
    2021- #100+(not even ranked)

So you take out most Docs best recruits that didnt even suite up for the Herd and "on paper" our talent level is sub-par.

Agreed.  Very little depth outside linebacker and running back.  However our LBs, one in particular missed a ton of tackles last night.  We all knew our CBs were most likely an issue as well. 

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed.  Very little depth outside linebacker and running back.  However our LBs, one in particular missed a ton of tackles last night.  We all knew our CBs were most likely an issue as well.

Speaking of running backs, but did I miss it?  Can't recall seeing Knowledge McDaniel in the game last night.  Bigger and stronger, I believe, than the back who spelled Ali. Was it an injury issue?  Anybody have any info?

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »