Author Topic: We gave up 40 first downs  (Read 672 times)

Online Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
We gave up 40 first downs
« on: September 24, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • 39 actually against App State, last year we gave up 1 TD to App State.  We are definitely much softer on defense and softer running the ball in the red zone and on 3rd down.  When a 1st team defense practices against a soft offense running the ball, they get soft.     

I really hope we don't turn into pseudo big12 team that can't stop anyone and the team with the ball last wins.   Also I feel that these tempo, spread teams like we are now, never go undefeated and because they always have a game or two where they sputter on offense and they can't stop the run, so they lose.  And, it should be our ultimate goal to go undefeated and play in a New Years day bowl.

I like Huff and it's exciting football for sure, but I really don't want a soft team.  Running the ball and playing defense, win games.  Running the ball and defense travel to every stadium. 

HerdFans.com

We gave up 40 first downs
    « on: September 24, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »

Offline herdorbust

Re: We gave up 40 first downs
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 09:02:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 39 actually against App State, last year we gave up 1 TD to App State.  We are definitely much softer on defense and softer running the ball in the red zone and on 3rd down.  When a 1st team defense practices against a soft offense running the ball, they get soft.     

I really hope we don't turn into pseudo big12 team that can't stop anyone and the team with the ball last wins.   Also I feel that these tempo, spread teams like we are now, never go undefeated and because they always have a game or two where they sputter on offense and they can't stop the run, so they lose.  And, it should be our ultimate goal to go undefeated and play in a New Years day bowl.

I like Huff and it's exciting football for sure, but I really don't want a soft team.  Running the ball and playing defense, win games.  Running the ball and defense travel to every stadium.

Can we give him more than 4 games? We lost to ECU and Appy St not Charlotte and ODU for crying out loud. Let him work his recruiting manic and have time to change the culture.  We just got rid of some of the worst football in decades watching a boring offense and lose to teams that never should have beat us. He had 11 freaking years to get it right and couldn?t. Lost the team every 4-5 years and had the program stale as year old chips. How about giving Huff more than 4 games. He lost by one point on the road to the team everyone seems to think is all everything.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan, SouthernHerd, herd1990, HerdMan84, go1970herd, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 09:18:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Can we give him more than 4 games? We lost to ECU and Appy St not Charlotte and ODU for crying out loud. Let him work his recruiting manic and have time to change the culture.  We just got rid of some of the worst football in decades watching a boring offense and lose to teams that never should have beat us. He had 11 freaking years to get it right and couldn?t. Lost the team every 4-5 years and had the program stale as year old chips. How about giving Huff more than 4 games. He lost by one point on the road to the team everyone seems to think is all everything.

I agree with you 100% bust.  It's comical the amount of recliner/couch coaches we have grilling Huff like he's been here a few years when we just finished game 4.  But, it doesn't do any good trying to call 'em out.  It's a message board and you know they're going to keep doing it.  Sports forums will be sports forums.  Plenty of recliner coaches out there.

The following users thanked this post: HerdMan84, Flat Tire 2, The E-Man, herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline whf

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 09:35:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It really doesn't take long to identify habits that won't win with this team. We don't have any other team, just this one. And I get the biggest kick out of everyone who wants to give Huff years to do his thing. Then the next guy gets years to do his thing, then the next.

No one is trying to run him out of town, just want to quit doing things that are costing us games that the players deserve to win. It's great when it works, but causes descent when it doesn't; and I mean on the team.  Kids know what feels stupid to them, watch the faces and physical language of the receivers wide open on these passes, they are already wondering if their on-field language after the play has any meaning.
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 09:36:57 PM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: herdfifteen

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 09:37:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It really doesn't take long to identify habits that won't win with this team. We don't have any other team, just this one. And I get the biggest kick out of everyone who wants to give Huff years to do his thing. Then the next guy gets years to do his thing, then the next.

No one is trying to run him out of town, just want to quit doing things that are costing us games that the players deserve to win.

Again this staff has forgot more than me or you will ever know about football. Some of you should apply next time because I hear it pays pretty good. 4 games in and the message board has it all figured out.

Online Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 09:56:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]4
  • But, it doesn't do any good trying to call 'em out.  It's a message board and you know they're going to keep doing it. 

Call me out?  I can be in Huntington in 40 minutes and meet you. 

These are my current thoughts and opinions, they may be right, they may be wrong, but im not a punk hiding behind a keyboard.

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 10:16:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Call me out?  I can be in Huntington in 40 minutes and meet you. 

These are my current thoughts and opinions, they may be right, they may be wrong, but im not a punk hiding behind a keyboard.

Huh?   ??? ??? ???

Online Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 11:16:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huh?   ??? ??? ???

Your post pissed me off, because it was rude and insulting on a personal level, but I understand and respect the fact that we all have freedom of speech.  But, that comment about, it would do no good to calling me out, like im going to cower down to you or im a spineless troll

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 12:04:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Your post pissed me off, because it was rude and insulting on a personal level, but I understand and respect the fact that we all have freedom of speech.  But, that comment about, it would do no good to calling me out, like im going to cower down to you or im a spineless troll

LOL....chill bro. I think you took this way too personal. He didn't mean calling you out to go to the street and fight LOL

The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Herd 90

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 08:50:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LOL....chill bro. I think you took this way too personal. He didn't mean calling you out to go to the street and fight LOL

Hell, I'm 60 and I'd have to drive 7+ hours to get to Huntington.  The post was meant to be funny, not call anyone out for a street fight. Sorry you thought I aimed a rude post at 'ya.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 09:30:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

These "soft" players are Doc's guys... If we are still "soft" after a recruiting class of Huff's gets to play, I'll be concerned. And Whf, I don't think anyone is saying give coach Huff "years and years," I think, and pretty reasonably so, you have to give any new hire at minimum 3 seasons (depending on a few variables). Definitely have to give them more than 4 games. No, I don't want to keep blowing 4th quarter leads, but there is a lot of the season left so I want to see how the YEAR plays out and I'd also like to see how at least one season with his recruits plays out too.

That's not unreasonable.

Online Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 10:09:38 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well first, I didn?t directly say anything bad about coach Huff, certainly didn?t suggest firing him, that?s absurd and completely unfair to him.

I believe defensive toughness is a combination of defensive coordinator and personnel.  We lost at least 3 studs  on defense from last year and we lost a tough coordinator.  So I expect a drop off, but we were like the toughest run defense in the nation last year!    now we can?t tackle, we take bad angles, base run plays go for 50-60 yards.  With the game on the line, up two scores, decent teams march right down the field and score then turn around and do it again and beat us.

These last games remind me of the big12 and I hope and pray we don?t play that way long term.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 10:09:38 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 11:41:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well first, I didn?t directly say anything bad about coach Huff, certainly didn?t suggest firing him, that?s absurd and completely unfair to him.

I believe defensive toughness is a combination of defensive coordinator and personnel.  We lost at least 3 studs  on defense from last year and we lost a tough coordinator.  So I expect a drop off, but we were like the toughest run defense in the nation last year!    now we can?t tackle, we take bad angles, base run plays go for 50-60 yards.  With the game on the line, up two scores, decent teams march right down the field and score then turn around and do it again and beat us.

These last games remind me of the big12 and I hope and pray we don?t play that way long term.

I think those players we lost off D is more the problem than the coordinator. Lambert inherited a good defense and couldn?t do squat at Charlotte.

Online MUfan08

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 12:38:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It appears we have down graded from the previous defensive to our current one.
    We lost Beckett and Hodge that helped with pressure and sure tacklers, so it is expected for some drop off.

The things that are concerning is that we are not a good tackling team and take poor angles. We also seem to go more in preventative defense late and on our heels in the last two games.
    Personnel wise, why have Drayton and Johnson disappeared or regressed? These two were all conference last year and they are no where to be found.

It is nice seeing the younger players getting time like Jackson and Evans, but it should not be because our previous ?stars? have disappeared or not put in possession to succeed.

Offline CharlestonHerdGuy

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2021, 01:55:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The hurry up offense helps the offense get into a rhythm but wears down the defense throughout the game and the season because the defense stays on the field too long. Slow down the offense and the defense gets much better.

Offline coloradoherd

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 06:35:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The defense reminds me of when Chris Rippon was DC

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 07:46:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The hurry up offense helps the offense get into a rhythm but wears down the defense throughout the game and the season because the defense stays on the field too long. Slow down the offense and the defense gets much better.

That is exactly the Doc Holliday philosophy.  Remember the year we had nearly the top offense in football but gave up a ton of points. He said the same thing you did and slowed down the offense the next year
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Online herdfan93

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 05:12:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the defense could get 3 and outs before they get gassed there wouldn't be a problem because the Off would just rollup the points and give the defense a cushion for the 4th qtr. 

I think our def coaches need to have long heart to heart with Huff because they're not getting it done. 

The following users thanked this post: elginherd, herdfan129

Online elginherd

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the defense could get 3 and outs before they get gassed there wouldn't be a problem because the Off would just rollup the points and give the defense a cushion for the 4th qtr. 

I think our def coaches need to have long heart to heart with Huff because they're not getting it done.

Or not miss a huge amount of tackles.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 05:26:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Or not miss a huge amount of tackles.

We are a very poor tackling team. We are often in the right place but get juked, miss a tackle or get out jumped/over powered for catches. DC might be a problem but talent and fundamentals are also bad.

Online herdfan93

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 05:33:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Or not miss a huge amount of tackles.

Which falls on coaching.  Either the coaches teach tackling fundamentals and expect the players to execute or they don't. If they do and the players don't execute then it's up to the coaches to make necessary player substitutions.  If they don't teach tackling fundamentals and let the players play as they wish then that as well is on the coaches. Just my thoughts.

Online coalherd

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 07:01:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are a very poor tackling team. We are often in the right place but get juked, miss a tackle or get out jumped/over powered for catches. DC might be a problem but talent and fundamentals are also bad.

But we excel at "arm tackling", IMO.  Don't see the big deal:  40 first downs is only Ten per quarter!  ;)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 07:01:27 PM »