Author Topic: Here's the UK view of last night's soccer game...  (Read 749 times)

Offline goherd73

Here's the UK view of last night's soccer game...
« on: September 26, 2021, 12:46:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• From the Lexington Herald Leader...

HUNTINGTON, W.VA.
    The waves of offensive attacks from Marshall were as consistent as the drumbeat from the stands at Hoops Family Field on Saturday night.

For the better part of 110 minutes the cycle repeated itself, as the Thundering Herd would establish possession near midfield and try again to unlock Kentucky?s defense, which sat ready and resolute to repel those efforts.

It was this determination that made the end result ? a 0-0 draw between the Wildcats and defending NCAA champion Thundering Herd ? so satisfying for the visitors, who successfully adapted their formation to stifle their opponents.

No. 10 Kentucky, still undefeated this season with an overall record of 5-0-2 (W-L-D) and 0-0-2 in Conference USA play, shifted to a back five for Saturday?s match.

The allowed the fifth-ranked Thundering Herd to finish the match with the majority of total possession (63%), but the end product from that time on the ball was just one shot on target, easily saved at the end of the first overtime period by Kentucky goalkeeper Jan Hoffelner, who recorded his fifth clean sheet of the season.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/article253928388.html

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, mu79grad, chris88, luckytoes99, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Here's the UK view of last night's soccer game...
    « on: September 26, 2021, 12:46:38 PM »

Offline mu79grad

Re: Here's the UK view of last night's soccer game...
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting that a UK player said that the main reason the game got chippy was due to the Herd players fighting among themselves and how we were struggling. 

Online herdthatandrew

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 08:55:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting that a UK player said that the main reason the game got chippy was due to the Herd players fighting among themselves and how we were struggling.

I wouldn't t say the MU guys were fighting among themselves. I will say UKs tactics definitely worked. They sat in and just absorbed pressure. Definitely had the guys frustrated.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 09:14:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m sure there will be some other teams that will use those tactics going forward. The back line was very stout and didn?t breakdown at any time. UK is a really good squad. The guys were frustrated but not fighting.

I?m sure Grassie will be prepared the next time. Maybe try some passes over the top of the back line. Sure, it might lead to some offsides calls but could give us some good chances.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 09:41:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our players never got chippy with each other.  Some of the physicalness away from the play is what caused the chipiness between teams...which I thought at one point might lead to someone making a big mistake as several players were nose to nose and there was some shoving.  What led to the skirmish directly was, at one point, a UK player sort of threw Milo down and Milo responded by shoulder butting the player in chest as they got up. This was right in front of me. UK wanted him red carded. Both were issued yellow cards. By end most players were shaking hands.  We have been keeping cool more lately but we've seen and you are going to see other teams trying to get under certain players skin to gain an advantage or get them red carded out of game. IMO Milo was lucky his shoulder butt was not in front of a ref.

Later in game/OT MU started working the edges of the UK defense. Not the flank, but the edges where UK had their 5 across and that helped create some chances. Up to that point MU tried time and again to penetrate the middle and UK's defense thwarted that every time. As I said, shots on goal not as important as chances for scoring.  The Biop miss was not technically on goal, but was the best chance for either team all night. I like what Grassie said after game, that seeing these tactics from good teams helps us sharpen our game. He said, they feel confidant that if they see any of these teams again they like their chances. Teams like Charlotte, we have not played a great schedule are likely to be working on Marshall more especially since CUSA tourney is in Charlotte just like Grassie built the program the last 4 years to beat Charlotte who was the best program in CUSA when he arrived.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 10:28:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have to expect that teams will try different formations and tactics to keep us from scoring, hoping they can get a quick transition goal or fluke goal and win 1-0. That target of being national champs is pretty large and getting bigger. In a way, it's pretty flattering that teams are prepping for us and trying anything they can to get an advantage.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, coalherd

Online herd2win

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 10:35:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a soccer expert but this team will always live on the edge of scoring doesn?t increase. 

Offline jsbowen

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was somewhat comical the defensive tactics that UK used.  They kept 8 guys in front of their goalie for the majority of the game.  I noticed at one point in the 2nd half, Semmle and our defense were passing the ball, and there were already 8 guys back for UK.  Clearly playing to tie, instead of win.

I'm sure it was frustrating for our guys, but it clearly showed that we were the better team.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, Flat Tire 2

Offline MUther

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 07:14:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a soccer expert but this team will always live on the edge of scoring doesn?t increase.

I read that like ten times and then realized the "of" was an "if."  I just couldn't see what it was saying.  One little 2-letter word jacked me up.  Kept seeing "edge of scoring"  and then the rest made no sense.   ;D

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 08:00:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We certainly could be better at striker as I am unimpressed with the two guys getting the minutes there

Hopefully see more Souza and perhaps Raphael there

Go Herd!

Offline chris88

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 09:08:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even with their strategy, UK created as many chances as MU did and had more better chances than MU up until the Dias header and Biop miss. Grassie talked about us forcing the middle too much and not working toward edges of defense enough. MU has not had more than 5 days off since start of season and have played a lot with only 3 days rest or less....which has limited their on field practice time as rest/recovery take precedence.   That continues this week with Butler Wed and at ODU Sunday. After that it's basically a match a week except for a OOC matchup with Wright State on 10/19.  That should give MU some rest, prep, and catch up time.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, luckytoes99, herdfan129

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 11:09:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not certain how far this great team will go because you can't expect teams to miss 2 wide-open nets ( Akron ) or 3 hard, close-in blasts off the chest / shoulders of Semmle ( UK ) forever.

The emphasis on pushing forward / scoring has left us vulnerable in my not very soccer-knowledged estimation. Yes, we've scored more goals this season but given up a lot more too.

I trust Grassie will strike a balance at crunch time.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 11:09:35 PM »

Offline jsbowen

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 11:30:53 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even with their strategy, UK created as many chances as MU did and had more better chances than MU up until the Dias header and Biop miss. Grassie talked about us forcing the middle too much and not working toward edges of defense enough. MU has not had more than 5 days off since start of season and have played a lot with only 3 days rest or less....which has limited their on field practice time as rest/recovery take precedence.   That continues this week with Butler Wed and at ODU Sunday. After that it's basically a match a week except for a OOC matchup with Wright State on 10/19.  That should give MU some rest, prep, and catch up time.

That's the key difference between this team and last year's team.  It's why we miss Roberts.  Last year Roberts would have buried the chance Diop missed.  We had several games like the UK game last year, particularly in the tournament.  Opposing teams getting more scoring opportunities, but we would score on our only shot on goal.  Roberts didn't miss an opportunity to score; this year we don't have that kind of scorer.

Your point on the lack of rest is well-founded as well.  We didn't sub much against UK, similar to the tournament last year.  However, when we did sub, the Diop chance developed.  Fresh legs were clearly helpful.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, chris88, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 01:43:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's the key difference between this team and last year's team.  It's why we miss Roberts.  Last year Roberts would have buried the chance Diop missed.  We had several games like the UK game last year, particularly in the tournament.  Opposing teams getting more scoring opportunities, but we would score on our only shot on goal.  Roberts didn't miss an opportunity to score; this year we don't have that kind of scorer.

Your point on the lack of rest is well-founded as well.  We didn't sub much against UK, similar to the tournament last year.  However, when we did sub, the Diop chance developed.  Fresh legs were clearly helpful.

You nailed it

Lino and Diop have to step it up and soon or someone else has to step up

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, jsbowen

Online herdthatandrew

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 01:55:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You nailed it

Lino and Diop have to step it up and soon or someone else has to step up

Go Herd!

I love Jamil. HUGE Jamil guy! A lot of folks seems to forget that he only scored two regular season goals with one being against wv tech in a 10-1 blowout.

The guys who scored the goals in the regular season last year are still here.

Obviously he made all the difference in the tournament but that wasn't the case in the regular season.

I just think it's a bit of an easy out to say we can't score because we miss Jamil.

We aren't playing a radically different version of soccer.

Teams just have the film and are sitting in hoping to hang onto points.

We aren't going to catch teams by surprise
    « Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 01:59:46 PM by herdthatandrew »

The following users thanked this post: chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 01:55:58 PM »