Author Topic: Sharpshooters  (Read 1587 times)

Online herd1990

Sharpshooters
« on: November 21, 2021, 06:07:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 7-40 combined the last 2 games from 3 point range.  At least we make them in practice??

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Sharpshooters
    « on: November 21, 2021, 06:07:25 PM »

Offline SuperAnjario

Re: Sharpshooters
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 06:10:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • Might might just be me, but the old man practice reports seem to inflate our perceived talent level. 

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, Johns1124, herdfan129

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 06:13:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd wins 80 - 66 , sorry

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, goherd73, ThunderingHerdFan, horsrman

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 08:36:35 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • They can?t complain about rebounding and defense this year so it?s going to be shooting until we start hitting. I?m convinced that many Marshall fans just choose misery. It?s sad to have so many ?fans? that?s happier after a loss.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, AEOS, horsrman

Online herd1990

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • They can?t complain about rebounding and defense this year so it?s going to be shooting until we start hitting. I?m convinced that many Marshall fans just choose misery. It?s sad to have so many ?fans? that?s happier after a loss.

So you?re good with 7-40?  Maybe I should have tempered my expectations after all the Taylor is better than Elmore talk. Or that Goran is a different player. Or that Kinsey is an NBA draft pick.  You?d think with those assessments we would handle Campbell at home and wipe the floor with a winless Jackson State team at home.  It?s better to expect the usual mediocrity.  Then there is no misery.
    « Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 08:55:44 PM by herd1990 »

Online herd2win

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 09:09:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Always happy with a win but the practice report guys are batting below the Mendoza line with accuracy.  We heard how good Early was going to be or this guy will be better than Elmore etc?we will win between 18-22 games, win 1 or 2 games in conference tournament.

That is who we are under DD.  I will use a comparison that I see.  Doc would win on average 8 games a year but caught lightening with Cato for 2 seasons.  That is DD with Elmore.  We are an above average team but won?t make any type of run to the NCAA.

I did think Kinsey would be special this year and I have not seen that.

The following users thanked this post: herd1990

Online herd1990

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 09:16:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Always happy with a win but the practice report guys are batting below the Mendoza line with accuracy.  We heard how good Early was going to be or this guy will be better than Elmore etc?we will win between 18-22 games, win 1 or 2 games in conference tournament.

That is who we are under DD.  I will use a comparison that I see.  Doc would win on average 8 games a year but caught lightening with Cato for 2 seasons.  That is DD with Elmore.  We are an above average team but won?t make any type of run to the NCAA.

Agreed.  Always happy when we win.  And usually not disappointed when we lose to a better team but I see effort, energy and passion.  Not happy when I see the same movie 3 years in a row.

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 09:25:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would just rather look at things more positively and enjoy my sports. It?s crazy, I know.   If anyone said AT was better or as good as Elmore, that?s ridiculous. That?s like everyone comparing our QBs to Pennington and Leftwich?every year.  Some people just get excited and that?s okay but those aren?t fair comparisons. The point is, you all have complained about defense and rebounding every year but very seldom do I hear a complement. And this recruiting class looks pretty good too.  I expect the shooting to come around but the never happy crowd will find something else to cry about.

The following users thanked this post: herd33, horsrman

Online herd1990

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 09:29:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would just rather look at things more positively and enjoy my sports. It?s crazy, I know.   If anyone said AT was better or as good as Elmore, that?s ridiculous. That?s like everyone comparing our QBs to Pennington and Leftwich?every year.  Some people just get excited and that?s okay but those aren?t fair comparisons. The point is, you all have complained about defense and rebounding every year but very seldom do I hear a complement. And this recruiting class looks pretty good too.  I expect the shooting to come around but the never happy crowd will find something else to cry about.

I get it.  And I appreciate your positivity.  But I think it?s ok to point out deficiencies.  Especially when this team has had a little hype.  I expect more.  Please don?t misconstrue that as complaining.  Just lofty expectations.  Go Herd!  Hope our FB fans show up Saturday.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 07:44:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Yep, shame on Andrew that he was a whopping 2 assists away from a triple double
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: scherd, horsrman

Offline MUther

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 07:48:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I fail to see how people discussing what could have been done better or who is better than who keeps you from enjoying your sports.  If there weren't dissenting opinions then this board would be a giant circle-jerk and boring as hell.

Imagine a game thread with no commentary and just the occasional score update.  Then at the end, win or lose, 30 people post "good game."  Gee whiz, sounds like a hoot.   Can't talk about that missed pass or fumble as that would be negative.  Don't want to mention that it's just about the time our QB tends to throw an int and blow the game.  That would be too abrasive.  Bunch of gavinas. 

If the board banter ruins sports for you, there is a solution.  And it isn't selfishly telling people what you think they should be writing about.

The following users thanked this post: herd1990

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 07:57:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dissenting opinions is not the problem. And it doesn?t affect my enjoyment at all.  It?s the ridiculous standard and constant sarcastic criticism, Fire him, bench him, the sky is falling mentality after every game (football or basketball). It?s obvious that the team is not shooting well, so that makes you want to take a jab at the folks that get to go to practices and give us some insight on the team?

The following users thanked this post: HerdMan84, horsrman

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 07:57:39 AM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 2nd half MU played pretty well.  Taylor did square his feet on at least 2 of his 3 3pters last night (didn't remember the other one). I thought he really let game come to him last night. The 5 turnovers were not good (we only had 9 as a team) but overall he didn't force his offense. Still we actually shot worse than our average in 3pters and now 340 out of 350 D1 teams.  Again there is a huge disconnect. Maybe a different pregame routine...who knows. Practice is filmed so maybe someone can look to see what difference is in games. I mean I can see guys coming off bench cold, but most of guys taking 3 pt shots played very significant minutes. 4 of our 5 normal starters are shooting under 19% from 3. Goran is at 57%. Sarenec had one bad game but is still at 43%. Jackson State shot 45% from 3pt and their bench made 6 out of 13. Seems everyone we play looks more relaxed taking the shots. I did notice Braun doesn't get a good look at basket before starting his shooting motion when firing off dribble and TK doesn't really either.  TK did have some crucial buckets in 2nd half.

Louisiana struggles shooting from field and FT line but they are big and physical. They lost to Indiana last night by 30. If we can rebound with them our chances are pretty good, but I expect a tight game.

Bottom line is we are not going to get that many easy baskets vs good teams (teams we need to beat to win CUSA). So unless our outside shooting improves it doesn't bode well.  That may seem like it's stating the obvious but it is a trend going back several years. My RX for playing defense vs MU would be: stop the break/get back, rebound well, challenge 3 pt shots. The good thing is I don't think talent is the issue. Some of that talent is young and will come along as the season goes on. If we could get our 3 pt shooting from 25% to 37-40% we would be a difficult team to play against.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: herd33, overherd1

Offline Herd2believe

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 08:32:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To put that out there about Taylor is better than the GOAT is crazy as some have said. He is a good player, but really more a two guard trying to play the point IMO. Statements like that invite ridicule and put undue pressure on the kid.

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 08:43:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To put that out there about Taylor is better than the GOAT is crazy as some have said. He is a good player, but really more a two guard trying to play the point IMO. Statements like that invite ridicule and put undue pressure on the kid.

Has anyone said that ? I dont recall anyone saying that , comparing the two , yes , but putting him above Elmore ? hes not even close , imo.

Offline chris88

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 09:04:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has anyone said that ? I dont recall anyone saying that , comparing the two , yes , but putting him above Elmore ? hes not even close , imo.

I said I thought he was better at this stage in his career. I meant as a PG not necessarily as a scorer. He handle is better, he is quicker, sees the court better, is a better defender, and a better rebounder. Not sure what JE asst/TO ratio was but i'll bet AT is better. He is not as crafty as JE...which I said. This prevents AT from getting to line as often. JT needs to better his shot, but he did shoot over 40% from 3 last yr. but no he is not the scorer JE was but you'd have to show me the pg stats to show JE was a better PG. JE also had CJ and some others to play off of. AT does not.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, Toro Toro Taxi

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #16 on: November 22, 2021, 09:09:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has anyone said that ? I dont recall anyone saying that , comparing the two , yes , but putting him above Elmore ? hes not even close , imo.

Comparing Elmore to Taylor is like comparing Godzilla to a lizard

:D

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, Herd2believe, Toro Toro Taxi

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #17 on: November 22, 2021, 09:13:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marko should probably start simply because he?s the only guy we have who is a dead eye 3 point shooter and that opens up the DD system on O.

Goran can make 3s but he?s a situational player off the bench imo

If Beyers would come in off the bench and just be a spot up 3 point shooter he could be a great asset but it looks like he will continue to make bad decisions when in games instead of just being a 6?10 Austin Loop, which would be great

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, horsrman, chris88, The E-Man, miltonherdfan, Toro Toro Taxi

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2021, 10:59:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not here to criticize any player.....I don't know anything about any of them (just what I read in the newspaper, these type forums, etc.). If we are that good in practice, I am wondering are they made in intersquad scrimmages or just shooting around.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • There are sharp shooters in the WVIAC but Marshall can't find one....kind of unreal to be honest.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Online Thundering In MD

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2021, 07:22:36 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marko should probably start simply because he?s the only guy we have who is a dead eye 3 point shooter and that opens up the DD system on O.

Goran can make 3s but he?s a situational player off the bench imo

If Beyers would come in off the bench and just be a spot up 3 point shooter he could be a great asset but it looks like he will continue to make bad decisions when in games instead of just being a 6?10 Austin Loop, which would be great

No offense to Goran, but when a 7 footer gets the ball under the basket and has to throw it outside, what the point of playing him?  Marko has a better 3 and has the guts to take it up in the paint.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Always THE HERD, The E-Man, miltonherdfan, HoPPy785, herdfan129

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 07:32:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No offense to Goran, but when a 7 footer gets the ball under the basket and has to throw it outside, what the point of playing him?  Marko has a better 3 and has the guts to take it up in the paint.

Haha maybe a spot up 3 point shooter?

7? Loop   :D

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 07:32:01 PM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 07:41:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are sharp shooters in the WVIAC but Marshall can't find one....kind of unreal to be honest.

Only old timers like me know of the WVIAC. They were disbanded in 2012
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline chris88

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only old timers like me know of the WVIAC. They were disbanded in 2012

Speaking of sharpshooters. Do you remember the year Charleston took MU to woodshed in 1980's?  I believe their guard was Keith Tyler and they had another inside guy that played real well..but Tyler ripped it up from outside.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 12:30:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speaking of sharpshooters. Do you remember the year Charleston took MU to woodshed in 1980's?  I believe their guard was Keith Tyler and they had another inside guy that played real well..but Tyler ripped it up from outside.

I was at that game.  That was during the Huck's Herd days.  We keep waiting for Herd to make a run and Charleston really took it to us.  That was in the Charleston Civic Center and it was a long ride home. 

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 12:30:57 PM »