Author Topic: SHR: ESPN Traditional Networks Continue Hemmoraging, ESPN+ Up 66%  (Read 648 times)

Offline chris88

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

HerdFans.com

Online Scottyo614

Re: SHR: ESPN Traditional Networks Continue Hemmoraging, ESPN+ Up 66%
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 07:47:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just wait until these new TV rights deals hit and the cost of cable goes up even more. That number will go further down.

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 08:39:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not just a sports issue.......why pay for all of the options for cable when most of the viewing options are nothing but reruns (Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, The Golden Girls, even HGTV, DIY, etc...........reruns, reruns, reruns.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 08:41:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is that article saying Hulu Live will also include ESPN+ and Disney+?

If so, how much is Hulu Live?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline whf

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 08:53:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is that article saying Hulu Live will also include ESPN+ and Disney+?

If so, how much is Hulu Live?
    $69.99 per month, beginning 12/22, just got the increase notice last week; including Disney + and ESPN+, which were not included before at $65.99 per month.  But you also pay more if you want more channels, or to store more than 50 hours of recordings.  Hulu is a good selection, but the syntax isn't that easy, compared to every other streaming service.

I have had it a couple times, and like it expect it is so hard to use.

We have AttTV/DirectStream because it has (and is the only one) Balley Sports, we get that for the REDs .  We do pay more, but it is convenient and the user syntax is very logical and easy. We also pay for extra storage and the Balley Sports package (including all else that comes with it) is around $30.00 per month.  And now DirecTstream is incorporating their DirecTV channel numbers and you can scroll / search for your channel by number as well as alphabetical; making the switch from DirecTV to streaming so easy for their new streaming customers.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, herd_67

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 09:01:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks WHF. I'll have to check and see what channels come with Hulu Live. As of right now I have SlingTV, ESPN+, and Disney + but I think it would still be a little cheaper to keep my current package.

Offline whf

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 09:03:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks WHF. I'll have to check and see what channels come with Hulu Live. As of right now I have SlingTV, ESPN+, and Disney + but I think it would still be a little cheaper to keep my current package.
    You must have kids...AT HOME.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline ThunderDent

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 09:50:21 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle

Also have Netflix, HBO Max, YouTube Premium (no ads), I addition to traditional cable.
    And I?m considering doing Apple TV just for Ted Lasso.

Then audio we have Sirius XM premium (so we get all the channels and can stream), Spotify and Prime.

It?s hard to accommodate a household of 6 with a mix of adults, late teenagers, and young kids.

95% of my football and basketball consumption come on ESPN+, and is sparse at best.

Kids dominate the TVs with their shows.

Online elginherd

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 09:58:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In case y'all haven't noticed, ESPN has been offering more & more on Plus that you might have previously expected on one of their linear channels...including the NHL, MLB, Big 12 FB, MLS and high major MBB.

In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love ESPN+.  I would think non-normal ESPN platform FB games will be on there as well next year as I have seen lots of SB/MAC FB on there and the NC Central game was on ESPN+ earlier this season.. And you don't need DVR/recording as all events are archived for a few weeks rewatch anytime you want. It also has NHL hockey. I have seen probably seen 2/3 of Bruins games on there. Add MU BB and soccer and it's the best $7.5 a month out there.

Use to have YouTube TV to cover rest but price went from and $50 to $70 and not worth it. But you can get Stadium free via Roku/streaming (just need relaible internet service), Facebook, and every game MU has played on CBSSN has been live streamed on youtube. When games on normal ESPN platform you have at least a 50/50 shot of being streamed live on Youtube. When I was available to watch, I have not missed a MU FB game yet. You won't get live streaming of NBA/NFL without cable or subscribtion streaming without NFL Pass or NBA Pass but I don't watch those much anyway due to the political BS.

My wife requires Hulu/Netflix so I watch Sienfeld, documentaries etc on there. Only thing I really miss from cable or higher cost streaming like YouTube TV is movie reruns like The Shooter, The Accountant, Caddyshack etc.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In case y'all haven't noticed, ESPN has been offering more & more on Plus that you might have previously expected on one of their linear channels...including the NHL, MLB, Big 12 FB, MLS and high major MBB.

And all those 30/30 type specials are on there too. The new Tom Brady series "In The Arena" is pretty good too.

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You must have kids...AT HOME.

Yes....LOL....other than Saturday's my TV is dominated by Disney or something similar.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »

Online elginherd

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2021, 11:21:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We had Hulu Live for a good while until they raised their price about 3 times within 4 or 5 months. $70 with Disney & ESPN+ is abetter deal than $65 or even the previous $55 without those two.
    But it's not really the best service for sports, IMO. And still overpriced, IMO.
    Right now we're Sling, OTA & ESPN+. When Marshall's on CBS SN, I go over to a friend's house to watch.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2021, 11:39:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We had Hulu Live for a good while until they raised their price about 3 times within 4 or 5 months. $70 with Disney & ESPN+ is abetter deal than $65 or even the previous $55 without those two.
    But it's not really the best service for sports, IMO. And still overpriced, IMO.
    Right now we're Sling, OTA & ESPN+. When Marshall's on CBS SN, I go over to a friend's house to watch.

Same here except I use someone's log in to watch the CBS SN on my Roku from the house.

Offline Herd72

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2021, 12:09:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  My Suddenlink internet is so crappy (I pay extra for the fastest one too.) that my ESPN+ buffers constantly. The other night tried to watch hoops on ESPN+ on the Firestick and it stopped about every five dribbles. The cable company won?t fix it because we only have about 15 houses in our subdivision and some of those have gone Dish or Direct TV. But ? here?s the strange part. I can pull up ESPN+ on my phone via internet and stream it to an old Chromecast and it?s much better. My TV for sports is a Samsung less than a year old so it should not be the TV. Plus, the Firestick stream other stuff with almost zero buffering. Watching a high school game on YouTube or FB Watch is much better than a Herd game on ESPN+. I am old and can?t figure this stuff out. I miss the Thundering Herd Network from back in the day.

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My Suddenlink internet is so crappy (I pay extra for the fastest one too.) that my ESPN+ buffers constantly. The other night tried to watch hoops on ESPN+ on the Firestick and it stopped about every five dribbles. The cable company won?t fix it because we only have about 15 houses in our subdivision and some of those have gone Dish or Direct TV. But ? here?s the strange part. I can pull up ESPN+ on my phone via internet and stream it to an old Chromecast and it?s much better. My TV for sports is a Samsung less than a year old so it should not be the TV. Plus, the Firestick stream other stuff with almost zero buffering. Watching a high school game on YouTube or FB Watch is much better than a Herd game on ESPN+. I am old and can?t figure this stuff out. I miss the Thundering Herd Network from back in the day.
    ....LOL.....why can't we just go back to the old days and watch MU on channel 3 WSAZ......I'm right there with you.

Offline CJHerdgrad

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 03:01:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My Suddenlink internet is so crappy (I pay extra for the fastest one too.) that my ESPN+ buffers constantly. The other night tried to watch hoops on ESPN+ on the Firestick and it stopped about every five dribbles. The cable company won?t fix it because we only have about 15 houses in our subdivision and some of those have gone Dish or Direct TV. But ? here?s the strange part. I can pull up ESPN+ on my phone via internet and stream it to an old Chromecast and it?s much better. My TV for sports is a Samsung less than a year old so it should not be the TV. Plus, the Firestick stream other stuff with almost zero buffering. Watching a high school game on YouTube or FB Watch is much better than a Herd game on ESPN+. I am old and can?t figure this stuff out. I miss the Thundering Herd Network from back in the day.

I'm in the same boat.  Suddenlink's horrible internet service keeps me from cutting the cable.  I suspect it's probably intentional on their part.  The moment I can get a reasonable alternative in speed I'm done with Suddenlink.  I'm hopeful 5G becomes a thing for home internet.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, beau42m

Offline dwaynehinkle

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 10:45:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just so everyone is aware, Suddenlink?s actual service isn?t generally the problem. The cheap ass terrible equipment they provide is most often the concern. A techie friend of mine replaced the modem they provide, and added hardwired WiFi access points in my house and it 100% fixed every single problem I ever had with Suddenlink?s service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, beau42m

Offline Mako

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 10:53:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One option I haven't seen mentioned thus far is YouTube TV.  That's what we have and I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPN News, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, MLB Network, NFL Network, BTN, CBS Sports Network, and Olympic Channel.  That's with the base plan at $64.99 per month.
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline breckjimison

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 11:05:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One option I haven't seen mentioned thus far is YouTube TV.  That's what we have and I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPN News, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, MLB Network, NFL Network, BTN, CBS Sports Network, and Olympic Channel.  That's with the base plan at $64.99 per month.'
    That is what I have also. It was nice to cut the chord and try something different. There are a few things that I don't like such as the lag time when changing channels but overall I really love YoutubeTV.

Offline beau42m

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 11:08:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have access and use both Comcast and Suddenlink internet service in West Virginia. There is no comparision in quality. I don't think a person could reasonably expect to cut the cord with Suddenlink and be able to stream programming effectively. They recently published a study that ranked Charleston's internet speed the next to last in the country. With Comcast in WV I see no problems with cord cutting. I just hope the PSC and the Kanawha County Commission do something about Suddenlink before the end of the year, when their franchise contract is due for renewal. 

Offline Mako

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 11:42:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is what I have also. It was nice to cut the chord and try something different. There are a few things that I don't like such as the lag time when changing channels but overall I really love YoutubeTV.
    Yeah, I kinda miss being able to switch channels immediately rather than having to scroll through the listings on my screen.  Theoretically, I could just Chromecast from my computer rather than streaming directly via an Amazon Firestick in my television and that would make switching channels a lot quicker but that causes a lot of glitchy video when I'm doing other stuff on the computer. 
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 11:42:30 PM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #22 on: November 27, 2021, 12:45:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah ESPN?s echo chamber drastically overvalued professional and college sports programming and handed out massive billion dollar contracts in an effort to monopolize the sports world and they got their wish and they now realize that less and less people care about professional sports and are not willing to pay a $1000 total cable, a year to watch them. 

In today?s world there are hundreds of options for entertainment that are much more appealing than watching pampered, self absorbed professional athletes play a sport. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2021, 12:45:43 AM »