Author Topic: What we know after WKU  (Read 1398 times)

Offline beau42m

Re: What we know after WKU
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2021, 08:45:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I doubt if the VT job was really there for Huff.
    I bet Virginia Tech is happy that Huff's flaws were exposed.

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2021, 08:45:12 PM »

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 08:46:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No better than Doc
    At least Docs teams for the most part were solid on defense and special teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Offline Green Dog

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 08:49:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No better than Doc

I think Huff is well ahead of Doc comparing both coaches first year on the job.

The following users thanked this post: SouthernHerd, mr_ash_1995, The E-Man, HoPPy785, herdfan129

Offline beau42m

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2021, 08:59:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: Toro Toro Taxi on November 25, 2021, 02:29:54 PM
    I thought the post about Huff being a trouble maker was hilarious . It was in the topic about being bush league

Quote from: beau42m on November 02, 2021, 11:50:58 PM
    I just wish we had hired someone else to be coach. This guy is a troublemaker.

Offline MUther

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2021, 09:09:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No better than Doc

First year, he's considerably better than Doc.  After 11 years of Doc, he's just not good enough for us, yet.  Took Doc till his 4th year to win 7 regular season games.  Don't be so transparent with your bias, Mr. "I wanted Doc gone in 2016, too."  You still want Doc here and it's pretty easy to see.  I'm not sure he'll get there but I'm damn sure of what would have happened if Doc was still here.  Watched that movie a whole bunch of times.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Offline svherd

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2021, 10:06:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had WKU winning by 40 points in the name the score thread.

Maybe Doc will let you be the president of the Docsuckers club. You seem the part.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: muherd34, The E-Man

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 11:19:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I bet Virginia Tech is happy that Huff's flaws were exposed.

Or could it be that you're unhappy, because Doc flaws got exposed and he got fired!

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline herd2win

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The off season will tell us a lot about Huff.  WKU took full advantage of the transfer portal and won the East.  Huff will struggle if he doesn?t pick up a few key players in the portal.  He can?t rely on 18 year olds to be impactful in the first year.

Also, there should be some coaching changes.  Most agree of one major change but I bet Huff does not pull that trigger.

My local high school has a kicker who consistently can make 50 yard FGs.  Huff better start with a FG kicker upgrade.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, elginherd

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2021, 08:17:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is it bad that I do not even care? This felt like a throw away season to me the minute I found out we were headed to the Sun Belt.

Everything about our program is now back to square one. What we did in the 90?s is irrelevant and no one cares. The fanbase has shrunk to 15K people. At this point we are no better than our peer institutions in this new conference. And you know what? I am okay with accepting that. It is time to stop patching the house back up when it comes to expectations, just tear it down and start building new.

This move to the Sun Belt gives us that chance. My hope is Huff strings together 3-4 solid recruiting classes and in the next 5 years are able to win back to back Sun Belt championships. We have to have another 90?s run of success to build the fanbase back and National perception back. What we did 20 years ago is irrelevant. We need to stop living in the past.

This is the first time I have felt optimistic about Marshalls future since 1999. The combination of finally landing in a solid home for our athletic programs, and Brad Smith leading the way for our university has me thinking anything is possible for Marshall. Screw this season, the real climb back to the top begins July 1, 2022.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, herd33, The E-Man, MicDrass1, herdfan129

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2021, 09:00:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is it bad that I do not even care? This felt like a throw away season to me the minute I found out we were headed to the Sun Belt.

Everything about our program is now back to square one. What we did in the 90?s is irrelevant and no one cares. The fanbase has shrunk to 15K people. At this point we are no better than our peer institutions in this new conference. And you know what? I am okay with accepting that. It is time to stop patching the house back up when it comes to expectations, just tear it down and start building new.

This move to the Sun Belt gives us that chance. My hope is Huff strings together 3-4 solid recruiting classes and in the next 5 years are able to win back to back Sun Belt championships. We have to have another 90?s run of success to build the fanbase back and National perception back. What we did 20 years ago is irrelevant. We need to stop living in the past.

This is the first time I have felt optimistic about Marshalls future since 1999. The combination of finally landing in a solid home for our athletic programs, and Brad Smith leading the way for our university has me thinking anything is possible for Marshall. Screw this season, the real climb back to the top begins July 1, 2022.

100% agree

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Sunbelt move and Brad Smith will energize the fanbase.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline whf

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2021, 10:21:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Sunbelt move and Brad Smith will energize the fanbase.
    Brad Smith, yes, but SBC, not for me.  Lack of interesting places to visit and they won't bring fans to the Joan of the CAM either. Basketball is a big step down, and the bottom of the football league is just like the bottom of C-USA.  I know we had to go somewhere, but it will be interesting to see one of only a few teams staying in that conference win it over the new SBC for the division crown, and then the new AAC in the conference championship.

Everyone has ran the C-USA down, but I'm very afraid we'll all see a huge dip in competitiveness in all sports except at the very top; and we'll take a hit on our own competitiveness too due to recruiting and player interest in the conference.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2021, 10:21:17 AM »

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2021, 10:36:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And you would have been horrifically wrong if Wells wasnt injured.  It was t just losing Wells, it was the mental impact on the defense of knowing they were all alone. They start trying to play hero ball and blowing assignments. Plus we had back to back possessions of 33 and 37 seconds. Defense didn?t have time to take off their helmets.

no kidding.  I guess he's happy that the QB got knocked out so his score prediction could be correct? 
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Best thing about moving conferences is that the leadership is better in the Sun Belt than in CUSA. Louisiana did bring a few fans to the game last week which surprised me. Yes, it was a holiday week. But it was a Tuesday night. Even a half dozen fans was better than what many in CUSA would bring. I was at the Appy state game in 2020 and there was a nice contingent of fans for them at the Joan. We already know what ODU and Southern Miss bring to the table when it comes to fans travelling. I am in a wait and see mode to see what the rest of the teams bring once we start playing in the Sun Belt.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2021, 11:17:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At least Docs teams for the most part were solid on defense and special teams

Are you kidding me? Doc had the worse losses at the Joan ever! In fact our kickers are Doc recruits. The lost yesterday hurt, but Doc has gotten beat worse by wku and many others at the Joan..

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2021, 11:55:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Brad Smith, yes, but SBC, not for me.  Lack of interesting places to visit and they won't bring fans to the Joan of the CAM either. Basketball is a big step down, and the bottom of the football league is just like the bottom of C-USA.  I know we had to go somewhere, but it will be interesting to see one of only a few teams staying in that conference win it over the new SBC for the division crown, and then the new AAC in the conference championship.

Everyone has ran the C-USA down, but I'm very afraid we'll all see a huge dip in competitiveness in all sports except at the very top; and we'll take a hit on our own competitiveness too due to recruiting and player interest in the conference.

Are you kidding me? You're making the Sun Belt sound like they are the ACC. We will be very competitive, because we have a new President and we're going to have a new athletic director who will make sure we have the resources to win championships.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2021, 11:57:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sunbelt way more exciting league.  It?s just better. 

The following users thanked this post: herd33, The E-Man, GreenDaddy, herdfan129

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2021, 01:02:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sunbelt way more exciting league.  It?s just better.

The Sun Belt made all the right decisions this round of realignment. ODU is on the way back up and Southern Miss is finding ways to win without any QB?s. Which tells me both programs made good coaching hires.

Both James Madison and App State will bring thousands of fans to Huntington. ESPN will be pumping the conferences best teams, because they are invested in it. Everything we need to rebuild our program to the late 90s level is in place with this move. Lets hope Coach Huff can get us there. Gotta start building from the ground up.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, MicDrass1, herdfan129

Offline whf

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2021, 01:43:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are you kidding me? You're making the Sun Belt sound like they are the ACC. We will be very competitive, because we have a new President and we're going to have a new athletic director who will make sure we have the resources to win championships.
    E- I think you misread my post, I was talking about the drop in competitiveness in our opponents, the league overall.

Maybe you read it correctly, I don't know.  But I doubt you really believe the SBC is as competitive overall ;s C-USA; in the last couple years only USM and FIU been givens in football, and really no one in basketball.  In the SBC, unless we play Louisiana in the west, it should simply be unacceptable to lose in football.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2021, 02:04:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Troy can come on anytime.  And they are very good when they do. 

Tough tough league.  Much better than cusa top to bottom.  Dangerous league.  An undefeated out of the Sun Belt will be legit.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2021, 02:09:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We starter talent and talented depth.  Previous years only the 1s ever played and were developed.  Development was too slow.  We need upgraded talent across the board.  Better players and better coaching in areas.  Still say it ...... JC Price was the best coach Holliday had.  Should have promoted that man to DC.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, HoPPy785

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2021, 02:11:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We starter talent and talented depth.  Previous years only the 1s ever played and were developed.  Development was too slow.  We need upgraded talent across the board.  Better players and better coaching in areas.  Still say it ...... JC Price was the best coach Holliday had.  Should have promoted that man to DC.
    I said when Lambert was hired that JC should have been promoted to D Coordinator

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2021, 02:11:40 PM »

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2021, 02:18:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What we know after WKU is we are a work in progress ,nothing more nothing less . I believe we will be fine .

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, HoPPy785

Offline coalherd

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2021, 03:38:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had WKU winning by 40 points in the name the score thread.

And in appreciation, 42, you get a personally autographed, glossy 8 X 10 photo of . . . Doc Holliday!  :)
    « Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 05:55:19 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, beau42m

Offline coalherd

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2021, 03:46:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We know that Doc's reputation as a great recruiter was diminished his last few seasons by the performance of his players on the field!  Still shows this season, IMO.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2021, 03:46:54 PM »