Author Topic: Indiana Game Thread  (Read 1578 times)

Offline coalherd

Re: Indiana Game Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2021, 09:13:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 11 point loss to Indiana isn?t bad but allowing 1 person to score 43 points and making little to no adjustments is an issue.

And, according to the announcers he set the IU record for points scored in the several decades old Assembly Center!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2021, 09:13:37 PM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2021, 09:14:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ah, once again, 129, we find a poster who actually believe all those glowing "practice reports" you see on this site.  Don't you know by now:  THEY LIE!!  ;D

What are you talkin' about coal.  90% of the practice reports are from 129.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2021, 09:15:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Um, Indiana beat Eastern Michigan by 6 and St. John?s by 2.
    Just based my statement on what was I remembered from reading the paper this morning.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2021, 09:15:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ah, once again, 129, we find a poster who actually believe all those glowing "practice reports" you see on this site.  Don't you know by now:  THEY LIE!!  ;D

If we actually have a 2-3 zone defense, then DD is either a dum&^$r*( or the most stubborn person in the world...and I don't think he's a dum&^$r*(.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2021, 09:16:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Um, Indiana beat Eastern Michigan by 6 and St. John?s by 2.

Whew!  Thank goodness we don't have to play mighty Eastern Michigan this season!!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2021, 09:16:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What are you talkin' about coal.  90% of the practice reports are from 129.

????

I've NEVER given a single practice report. I have no idea what you are talking about lol

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2021, 09:17:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Calling them liars is a little much. What is done in practice and what we see in a game are two different things.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2021, 09:18:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At one point Davis had only missed one shot, coaches lost this game for lack of interior Defense scheme.
    The announcers almost felt sorry for our interior players and coaches.

There is nothing you can do when a kid doesn't miss hook shots etc down low. When we doubled, they kicked it and drilled 3s which was worse. They have a stud inside and true shooters waiting for the kick. Tough to scheme against that.

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2021, 09:22:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One positive that might come out of this game is that Taylor appears to be finding his shot. 

Kinsey started playing hero ball in the 2nd half. 

Beyers being Beyers and throwing up next to impossible shots near the end of the game. 

Another positive is that Marshall did not looked overmatched athletically, other than Davis. 

The way Danny chose to guard Davis is a carbon copy of the Wright State game.  Maybe Danny was hoping for the same result, but Indiana has better talent than WS. 

Offline coalherd

« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2021, 09:31:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• ????

I've NEVER given a single practice report. I have no idea what you are talking about lol

believe he has you confused with "bust", 129!

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2021, 09:40:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • believe he has you confused with "bust", 129!

you're right.  sorry 'bout that.

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• If we actually have a 2-3 zone defense, then DD is either a dum&^$r*( or the most stubborn person in the world...and I don't think he's a dum&^$r*(.

How do you say, I know nothing about basketball without saying, "I know nothing about basketball".  IU shot over 50% from 3.  When we doubled him, they knocked down 3's.  What do you think was going to happen if we played a 2-3 zone?!?!   Give me a break.  We could have played him more physical...OAK only had 2 fouls.  We played well tonight.  First road game, undefeated B10 team and we matched them point for point for a while.  We didn't look for the best shot on some trips in the 2nd half, but overall, I was happy with how we played.  A win would have been great, but it didn't happen.  Learn and move on.  (2-3 is not the answer in college basketball for anyone not named Syracuse.)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »

Offline herdthatandrew

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2021, 09:43:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Certainly some good things to take away from it. Good to be in big games like that early in the season. OAK certainly wasn't perfect this game but year over year what an improvement from that kid. He could barely stay in a game last season; he wasn't much more than a body to use five fouls. Taylor had bright moments as did Kinsey. Get the disappointment but it's a long long season fellas

Offline coalherd

« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2021, 09:44:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is nothing you can do when a kid doesn't miss hook shots etc down low. When we doubled, they kicked it and drilled 3s which was worse. They have a stud inside and true shooters waiting for the kick. Tough to scheme against that.

Maybe that's because as Danny has constantly said, "No body plays interior, back to the basket, offensive basketball anymore".  And he's got all those pick and roll or jack a three "Danalytics" stats to proves it!  TOTAL BS, as IU CLEARLY showed this evening.  If you chartered their shots tonight, you'd have the lane almost totally colored a solid color, IMO.  Yeah, they did throw it out for an occasional three, but their game was clearly back to the basket, pitch it inside for a shot, a follow up tip in, etc.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2021, 10:09:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How do you say, I know nothing about basketball without saying, "I know nothing about basketball".  IU shot over 50% from 3.  When we doubled him, they knocked down 3's.  What do you think was going to happen if we played a 2-3 zone?!?!   Give me a break.  We could have played him more physical...OAK only had 2 fouls.  We played well tonight.  First road game, undefeated B10 team and we matched them point for point for a while.  We didn't look for the best shot on some trips in the 2nd half, but overall, I was happy with how we played.  A win would have been great, but it didn't happen.  Learn and move on.  (2-3 is not the answer in college basketball for anyone not named Syracuse.)

Yeah....well....they got 2 points every time down the floor cause we couldn't stop them. What we were doing wasn't working so better to try something else. We didn't even TRY.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2021, 10:11:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Early in the game, the pick and roll was working. Even the announcers commented how easily the pick and roll worked for us. Problem is, when we are not shooting well from three, the pick and roll eventually will be stopped. That happened tonight. Switching to a zone after a possession might have worked a few times. Agree we could not use it all the time. While OAK and Goran put on some muscle, they were still getting beat by foot work. Hopefully, we learn from this and we smack Akron around at their place.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2021, 10:34:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe that's because as Danny has constantly said, "No body plays interior, back to the basket, offensive basketball anymore".  And he's got all those pick and roll or jack a three "Danalytics" stats to proves it!  TOTAL BS, as IU CLEARLY showed this evening.  If you chartered their shots tonight, you'd have the lane almost totally colored a solid color, IMO.  Yeah, they did throw it out for an occasional three, but their game was clearly back to the basket, pitch it inside for a shot, a follow up tip in, etc.

We only ?jacked? up 16 3?s tonight compared to the 15 they shot.  Opponents shoot 3?s but we ?Jack? them.  It?s a crazy D?Antoni strategy I guess. I don?t know how many points in the paint we scored but it was a bunch following 50 last game.  If you are going to complain about DD every game, at least watch the game and adjust the complaints accordingly. We have a good basketball team and a good coach but we have so many ?fans? that can?t enjoy it because of ego.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, 2xBison, ThunderingHerdFan, wlf, herdfan129

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2021, 10:51:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My only problem with the 3's has been the selection. We should never launch one without at least one person underneath. We did that a couple of times tonight. When Andy got his feet set, his shot looked good. Same with Beyers. Overall, I was not disappointed with the selection tonight except for a couple. Hopefully, Andy will see why his shots when down tonight when looking at film.

The following users thanked this post: coalherd, herdfan129

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2021, 10:56:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OK...before someone jumps me.....I have not read all the comments that are in this thread......BUT I did watch the game and here are my thoughts:
    1. We didn't have a true point guard tonight.
    2. Kinsey made a lot of mistakes (even though he had a lot of points)
    3. Killen (or however his name is said) is going to be very good someday
    4. There were a lot of bad shots taken tonight
    5. We can eventually be good underneath "IF" we play much better defense.
    6. This team really hustles
    7. This team (for the most part) never gives up
    8. George started out pretty good....but disappeared for some reason
    9. I think the kid from Logan has potential....but sometimes appears to be too slow
    10. DD did learn how to call a few timeouts

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2021, 11:18:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We got away from what got us the lead going into the half. We were passing more and Kinsey was taking what Indy's D gave him. In the second half, It seemed like Kinsey put more pressure on himself than kicking it back out and letting our shooters do their thing. Beyers had a decent game but still did some what the heck things down the stretch. Taylor had a few bad passes but made up for it with great steals and shooting a lot better. Overall, I thought the officials didn't call an even game. We had no answer for Indiana's big strong man in the middle. If we had to play Indiana again, the score would be closer and we might even come away with a win. I really think we're going to get better and will be a force at season's end..

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Toro Toro Taxi

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2021, 02:44:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We got away from what got us the lead going into the half. We were passing more and Kinsey was taking what Indy's D gave him. In the second half, It seemed like Kinsey put more pressure on himself

This is no doubt Kinseys team but Im seeing at times he tries to do to much , like its all on him . He should just let the game come to him instead of forcing things or thinking hes the only one on the floor.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2021, 03:40:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My only problem with the 3's has been the selection. We should never launch one without at least one person underneath. We did that a couple of times tonight. When Andy got his feet set, his shot looked good. Same with Beyers. Overall, I was not disappointed with the selection tonight except for a couple. Hopefully, Andy will see why his shots when down tonight when looking at film.

Exactly.  And that's NOT "good coaching", contrary to previous post to yours, GW.  We too often jack a wild three, an off balance three, etc., which is in accordance to Danny's rule that any time, any where, any player, apparently, if they feel like shooting a trey, then "fire away".  Oh, to clarify:  the fans have NOTHING to do with our failure to play a ZONE defense; rather, its the STUBBORNESS of the Head Coach!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2021, 03:40:09 AM »

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2021, 05:06:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh well, at least it wasn't the usual 20, 30 or more point "blowout" that we have experienced whenever Danny's teams have played a "Major" foe during the regular season during his 8 year career.  We can always get well against a "Bluefield" or similar foe!  That is, if we don't lay another egg in our next game up at Akron!

We got blown off the floor by major schools I believe 5-6 times. Most of our other games (Florida, Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee, Xavier, Pitt, Penn State, and one of the WVU games) were tight all the way through. So yes, we had some really bad games 4 years ago against major schools, and some sporadic ones prior to that. But outside of that one year, about 75-80% of those games have been competitive.

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2021, 05:16:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly.  And that's NOT "good coaching", contrary to previous post to yours, GW.  We too often jack a wild three, an off balance three, etc., which is in accordance to Danny's rule that any time, any where, any player, apparently, if they feel like shooting a trey, then "fire away".  Oh, to clarify:  the fans have NOTHING to do with our failure to play a ZONE defense; rather, its the STUBBORNESS of the Head Coach!!

I know this will hurt your narrative but we did play some zone last night. We mixed in double teams, mixed in where the double came from. It didn?t matter. We tried to cut underneath on help D on him, and it didn?t matter. We could not knock the guy off the deep block, and once he had the ball down there, it was over. He scored a variety of ways. The truth is, we got whipped by a future NBA center. He?s a legacy guy, and he?s good. He made FT?s, too? we flat out just fouled him on purpose a few times and it still didn?t matter.

Also, never listen to commentary on Big Ten/SEC network games. They?re homers for the league, as they?re paid to be, and they shill for their league. The officiating was atrocious, and the commentators were riding them on the good calls (moving screens), if that gives you perspective.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2021, 08:03:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It doesn?t help to explain things to Coal. Evidently he has an ax to grind with DD and he sharpens it with zone defense and ?jacking? 3?s even when it doesn?t make sense, which is most of the time. (All of the other teams in the country shoot 3?s, but we ?jack? them. It?s a Dantoni?s family secret or something.)

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2021, 08:03:02 AM »