Author Topic: Marshall vs Akron  (Read 838 times)

Offline BoydCountyHerdFan

Marshall vs Akron
« on: December 01, 2021, 08:45:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is one of the games Marshall has to win on the road this year.  Akron is a middle of the pack MAC team and Marshall should have a size advantage at almost every position. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, svherd, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

Marshall vs Akron
    « on: December 01, 2021, 08:45:47 AM »

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

Re: Marshall vs Akron
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ohio State did too and they almost knocked them off . Ali & Freeman usually carry the load for Akron . Herd should win but they cant play sloppy.

Akron also has Mikal Dawson from Huntington on their team. Hes averaging around 5 ppg for his career
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 08:52:53 AM by Toro Toro Taxi »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline chris88

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 09:11:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is one of the games Marshall has to win on the road this year.  Akron is a middle of the pack MAC team and Marshall should have a size advantage at almost every position.

Why do they have to win this game?  With our schedule and two losses already we have only one shot at NCAA tourney and that is to win the postseason CUSA tourney. Just curious
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline RollingThunder80

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think what BoydCounty meant was this is one of those games that we need to win to have any semblance of a ?good? season by our standards.  At least that?s how I read that.  We definitely have No shot at a at large bid unless we ran the tables from here out and maybe not even then. To your point 88.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, svherd, chris88, The E-Man, HoPPy785, overherd1, BoydCountyHerdFan

Offline BoydCountyHerdFan

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 10:07:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thunder, That is exactly what was meant by the post.  If Marshall wants to hold on to a "good" season you can't do so with multiple bad losses and Campbell at home was a bad loss already.  The schedule doesn't lighten up during conference play so this one is a "must win" to keep casual fans interested.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, chris88, coalherd

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 12:15:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ohio State did too and they almost knocked them off . Ali & Freeman usually carry the load for Akron . Herd should win but they cant play sloppy.

Akron also has Mikal Dawson from Huntington on their team. Hes averaging around 5 ppg for his career

I just talked to Mikal's mom, she was at our home last night and she said Mikal is looking forward to this game. Also Mikal sister Jordyn Dawson plays for Akron women basketball team, she just went over 1k scoring career points..

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, chris88, coalherd, Toro Toro Taxi

Offline MUonium

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 06:58:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ^

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 07:04:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ESPN just showed a shotof the stadium.  At they alowing people to attend or is it closed due to COVID. I mean there was no one in the shot.  I also wondered if it was taken earlier.  Now I see a few people there, but stil empty.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 07:18:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just talked to Mikal's mom, she was at our home last night and she said Mikal is looking forward to this game. Also Mikal sister Jordyn Dawson plays for Akron women basketball team, she just went over 1k scoring career points..

Lot of local connections/sidelights in this game, E-Man.  Steve Cotton's sidekick said that in addition to Dawson, the Zips have an assistant coach who is a MU grad (didn't get his name).  In addition, one fact in the series with Akron, some time back the Herd won at Akron in a game in which Herd player, Ronald Blackshear, hit something like 13 treys.  That included his FIRST 11 3 pointers during the game.  That STILL is an NCAA record.  I didn't know that.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline banker

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 09:15:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny ::)

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 09:52:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lot of local connections/sidelights in this game, E-Man.  Steve Cotton's sidekick said that in addition to Dawson, the Zips have an assistant coach who is a MU grad (didn't get his name).  In addition, one fact in the series with Akron, some time back the Herd won at Akron in a game in which Herd player, Ronald Blackshear, hit something like 13 treys.  That included his FIRST 11 3 pointers during the game.  That STILL is an NCAA record.  I didn't know that.
    If I am not mistaken Rob Fulford's  (Akron assistant) dad and Danny graduated together. His dad only lived approx. 2 houses from the D'Antoni's.

The following users thanked this post: herdfifteen, coalherd

Online lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 09:59:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I am not mistaken Rob Fulford's  (Akron assistant) dad and Danny graduated together. His dad only lived approx. 2 houses from the D'Antoni's.
    Rob is the assistant.  He did go to Marshall as he was there when I was.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 09:59:43 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 10:53:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last two posts are right about the assistant at Akron.  Cotton or his sidekick bought it out again during the game broadcast.  Fulford is a MU alum, but I had forgotten that he also had coached basketball in Huntington at Huntington Prep!

Online lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 07:05:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last two posts are right about the assistant at Akron.  Cotton or his sidekick bought it out again during the game broadcast.  Fulford is a MU alum, but I had forgotten that he also had coached basketball in Huntington at Huntington Prep!

Rob is also from Mullens and knows DD well. 

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Steve Cotton's "sidekick" is Charlie Hagley. If I'm not mistaken, he was on Greg White's staff at Marshall.

The following users thanked this post: Herd2believe

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 11:09:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Rob is also from Mullens and knows DD well.
    Because Rob's dad and Danny graduated together (if I am not mistaken). His dad has since passed away.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 11:09:42 AM »