Author Topic: GAME THREAD -- MU vs Akron  (Read 2296 times)

Offline svherd

Re: GAME THREAD -- MU vs Akron
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2021, 07:44:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • This is a bad loss to a team not very good. We keep making the same mistakes. Frankly, referring back to DD liking Corny to be the next HC, maybe tha'ts not a very good idea after all. This staff and team need to wake up. Come on guys, show us something.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2021, 07:44:47 AM »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2021, 08:10:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny last night said that many of the players didn't have the fire to want to give it their all. He went a little deeper than he had the last couple of games on the bench, I believe, simply because of this. The foul situation didn't help any. He also said that, mentally, we just don't execute. He pointed out Obinna's fourth foul as an example. Said he went up to defend and attacked the ball and therefore fouling the player. Toussaint on offense was another example he gave. Said that he didn't know where to be when Akron played zone. Said he should have been roaming the baseline instead of up top sitting a pick and roll. He took longer to come out for the postgame interview than normal. He said they had a longer talk after the game than normal. He also mentioned the free throw shooting. Last night on his postgame show, Paul Swann said the percentages didn't matter, just the number of attempts. That's bull. We shoot 70% at the line like Akron did and we win the game. We missed 8 shots at the line. Hit half of those and we win.

Our defense has always been questionable at best. We allow too much penetration from the opposing guards, which puts our big men in trouble having to defend which leaves the opposing big men open. Danny said we came out soft last night. That is usually the case every night when it concerns our big guys. With few exceptions, that has been a trait since Danny has been here. He was really upset last night with the performance. I know I was shocked when he called a timeout early. Because of all the fouls, I would have put Goran back in there just to absorb some of them. Overall, this was the worst performance of the year and we still almost won. Looking forward to seeing how this team responds on Saturday to Duquesne.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2021, 08:11:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think DD has the wrong guy coaching our big guys . I wouldnt mind seeing some assistant coaching changes this off season. I believe Peneva is the only "big" that made noticable improvements while he was here , if he should even be considered a traditional big.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, The E-Man, miltonherdfan

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've said for years that Mark Cline should be replaced.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, svherd, miltonherdfan

Offline chris88

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2021, 08:40:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As others said, help defense was the issue on that side of ball. Almost non-existent when OAK not in game. When a big guy dominates (he was only 6'7 btw) you can front him and make them lob it over you...and then use help from weak side. You can bring in a guard as soon as he catches or starts his dribble and try and take ball away/force a pass.  We didn't ever try either. IMO we need to stop treating these guys as if they are all great passers and bring a guard in.  Not sure why McKey played so much early on. Seems we are better with OAK/Troussaint or OAK/Goran on floor at same time and should have helped protect OAK against fouls.  The way we shot 3s this is a game we should have won but we gave up most of those extra points you get on 3s at FT line. Still can't believe we let same guy drive to basket and score in half court 3 straight possessions in 1st half.

Akron not a bad club. They lost to Ohio State by one point and overall a young squad.

Still plenty of time to pull it together before conf play. Go Herd
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline BoydCountyHerdFan

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2021, 08:42:13 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe that is is time for all of us to accept what we see with our own two eyes year after year as being factual.  Dan D'Antoni is an excellent ambassador for Marshall University and has shown himself to be loyal to the university and it's fanbase.  He is a true Son of Marshall and represents the university with class and dignity.  He and his family are pillars both at the university and in the community.  Overall, having him as the head coach at Marshall has been refreshing and even rejuvenating, at least for some of us more "seasoned" fans.  He has done all he knows to do to make the basketball program at Marshall take strides forward.  With all of that being said, despite all of the wonderful things he brings to the table the fact still remains that Dan D'Antoni is a below average basketball coach.  It's time we all accept that.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, forphase1, coalherd, herdfan129

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2021, 08:50:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As others said, help defense was the issue on that side of ball. Almost non-existent when OAK not in game. When a big guy dominates (he was only 6'7 btw) you can front him and make them lob it over you...and then use help from weak side. You can bring in a guard as soon as he catches or starts his dribble and try and take ball away/force a pass.  We didn't ever try either. IMO we need to stop treating these guys as if they are all great passers and bring a guard in.  Not sure why McKey played so much early on. Seems we are better with OAK/Troussaint or OAK/Goran on floor at same time and should have helped protect OAK against fouls.  The way we shot 3s this is a game we should have won but we gave up most of those extra points you get on 3s at FT line. Still can't believe we let same guy drive to basket and score in half court 3 straight possessions in 1st half.

Akron not a bad club. They lost to Ohio State by one point and overall a young squad.

Still plenty of time to pull it together before conf play. Go Herd
    Based on what Danny said after the game, I think McKey was in there because of the lack of effort some were giving. The foul situation didn't help any either. McKey was also in the game at Indiana, if I remember correctly.

Online overherd1

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2021, 08:56:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think our basketball team has underperformed for the last few years.  I would think Dan would agree with that.  Seems like he was upset as well with the performance last night.  I didn't watch any of the game.  Someone in a different thread noted that they thought it was an important game last night......I agree.  If we want to be a program on the rise and moving forward, last night was a game we should win.  Seems like Taylor and Kinsey played well last night, but we didn't get much from OAK or George.  Just the opposite of what most of the season has been.  We need good (not great) games from all four of them.   Then contributions from two or three of the other 6 players.  Maybe the players and coaches can pull it together and finish the season strong.  Time will tell.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88, The E-Man

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2021, 08:59:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We lost West & Williams - big losses especially most impactful in early season and will show again deep in season as well.

And could have replaced them in the portal....but we didn't.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2021, 09:04:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD's issue is stubbornness and arrogance. He is too stubborn to make any sort of changes such as running a zone from time to time or calling a timeout when other team starts a run.

He's too arrogant to recruit the type of players we need. He thinks his system is so amazing that he can take NAIA talent players and just plug them in to his system.

You know why other teams always have someone with career highs against us? Because they are good athletes who just happen to being playing their first college game with the style we play. Those are the type of guys who would ball out in our system....but DD doesn't recruit those type of guys.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Online wlf

« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2021, 09:22:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can?t believe the criticism I?ve seen for Taylor and Kinsey in this thread, it?s unbelievable. I can see criticism for Defense and rebounding ,free-throw shooting, but these kids played their heart out. These threads  have been more about vendettas than objective fan criticism.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, horsrman, The E-Man

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2021, 09:24:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can?t believe the criticism I?ve seen for Taylor and Kinsey in this thread, it?s unbelievable. I can see criticism for Defense and rebounding ,free-throw shooting, but these kids played their heart out. These threads  have been more about vendettas than objective fan criticism.

You're exactly right, Taylor and Kinsey left it on the floor. We beat ourselves again, turnovers, missing free throws, etc.. We protected inside the paint better in the 2hl..If we make 4 -5 more free throws, we win this game... As for the officials, you should never be in a position to let them decide if you win or lose..

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2021, 09:24:52 AM »

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2021, 09:32:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan has to cut the bench down. I suspect some of the players that have gotten significant minutes will see a drop in minutes very soon. Kinsey and Taylor were great (aside from Taylor's foul).

We have got to find a 3rd consistent scoring threat. I thought Oak was that guy but your 3rd scorer can't completely ghost you.

It's another year where I don't understand why we didn't bring in some transfer PF that can get 6pts a game but absolutely bodies up every play and bangs for boards. That's his job, rebound hard and push guys around. Doesn't have to be a special player, just a guy that wants physicality. Has to be a lot of those guys out there.

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline RollingThunder80

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2021, 09:39:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven?t named any names I love our guys and root for them unquestionably but one thing I also know is Akron literally doubled their point output against us compared to Fordham and Appy state.  There?s no denying our program has lingering and perpetual issues that never seem to get resolved.  I know it?s not life and death serious but it?s just frustrating. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, The E-Man, coalherd, herdfan129

Online wlf

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2021, 09:41:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You're exactly right, Taylor and Kinsey left it on the floor. We beat ourselves again, turnovers, missing free throws, etc.. We protected inside the paint better in the 2hl..If we make 4 -5 more free throws, we win this game... As for the officials, you should never be in a position to let them decide if you win or lose..
    Fatigue played a factor in everything those two did the last five minutes of the game.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, horsrman

Offline girthyherdon

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2021, 11:50:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Need a Rob Goff type of banger in the post

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2021, 12:28:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • And could have replaced them in the portal....but we didn't.

You should stop in and tell DD that.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2021, 12:46:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree fatigue set in last night for Kinsey, as he played the full 40 minutes. I believe Taylor was out for a little, but not for long. Someone mentioned Obinna being a third scorer. I thought it might be George, but he has disappeared offensively the last two games. Foul trouble played a part in both those games (Indiana and Akron). The team's weakness is being exposed. Hopefully with the three pointers falling last night, it will open up some of the pick and roll and things like that. The thing that bothers me most is the lack of offensive rebounding and players following their shots. Someone launches a three and everybody starts running down to the other end. That has happened for a long time, not just last night. Other teams crash the boards when it comes to offensive rebounding. Why can't Marshall.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2021, 12:55:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • coach digs us a hole from the opening tip with our starting lineup, which he has 100% control over.  12 outta their 1st 15 pts last night came from players being guarded by our 2 "bigs."  the key to our 2nd half success was neither 1 of them played.

another ghost game from george & i'm ready to see how early might perform in the starting lineup.  maybe it's just a slump for george, but he has a history of underperforming as a starter.  like last yr or 2 yrs ago when DD finally removed williams from the lineup in favor or george, his production dropped way off.  then as soon as he went back to the bench, the old, productive darius came back.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2021, 12:59:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • coach digs us a hole from the opening tip with our starting lineup, which he has 100% control over.  12 outta their 1st 15 pts last night came from players being guarded by our 2 "bigs."  the key to our 2nd half success was neither 1 of them played.

another ghost game from george & i'm ready to see how early might perform in the starting lineup.  maybe it's just a slump for george, but he has a history of underperforming as a starter.  like last yr or 2 yrs ago when DD finally removed williams from the lineup in favor or george, his production dropped way off.  then as soon as he went back to the bench, the old, productive darius came back.
    I see your point about George. I think that is also why Obinna comes off the bench. He gives the team a spark. I have been shaking my head since the first exhibition game with Byers and Goran starting. I always thought that Obinna would start, since he did last year, and Early would be a starter. Some mentioned Early put on some weight. I can understand that can slow him down a little. Still think the lineup should be:
    Taylor
    Kinsey
    Early
    George
    Obinna

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline Herdadelphia

« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2021, 01:01:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone is going to have to step up and carry some of the scoring load besides Kinsey and Taylor. Kinsey was making a lot of tough shots but like people said he was drained by the end.

Akron is a tough well coached team that could win the MAC. I wouldn't hit the panic button because of a 3 point loss on the road but the defense has to get better. Some have suggested it might be a rotation problem which might be true.

One thing I noticed being at the game. Zips coach Groce is super emotional, maybe gets too much sometimes BUT I like that he shows fire to get his guys fired up. Dan really doesn't do that much.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2021, 01:09:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone is going to have to step up and carry some of the scoring load besides Kinsey and Taylor. Kinsey was making a lot of tough shots but like people said he was drained by the end.

Akron is a tough well coached team that could win the MAC. I wouldn't hit the panic button because of a 3 point loss on the road but the defense has to get better. Some have suggested it might be a rotation problem which might be true.

One thing I noticed being at the game. Zips coach Groce is super emotional, maybe gets too much sometimes BUT I like that he shows fire to get his guys fired up. Dan really doesn't do that much.
    On the radio last night, Charlie Hagley was talking about the Herd not rotating properly on defense and that communication was not what it should have been. I believe Rigot is the one who coaches the defense.

Danny does not get too emotional on the bench. I think he wants his guys to feel relaxed when playing and not tense. He did mention his team had no fire for much of the game last night. I don't know if him getting super emotional would have helped. The team came out extremely flat last night and they used up all their energy fighting back in the second half. They have to come out ready to play each and every game. We just don't have that much more talent than most of the schoold we will play.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2021, 01:09:28 PM »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2021, 01:15:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FWIW:  Some of the posters may be underrating Akron? Akron was picked for picked for 5th place in the MAC, almost for fourth place. FWIW: Their coach has  proved he can win in the MAC when he was coaching Ohio U. He took Ohio U to the Sweet Sixteen in the Big Dance in 2012. He has been doing a nice job at Akron after going  95-75 at Illinois, but only 37-53 in the Big Ten. He finished in first place in the MAC in the 2019-2020 season.  Check out his record in the below link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Groce

2021-22 MAC Men?s Basketball Preseason Coaches Poll

Buffalo ? 143 points (11 first place votes)
        Ohio ? 126 points
        Toledo ? 107 points (1)
        Kent State ? 98 points
        Akron ? 95 points
        Bowling Green ? 93 points
        Miami ? 92 points
        Ball State ? 54 points
        Western Michigan ? 44 points
        Central Michigan ? 34 points
        Eastern Michigan ? 29 points
        Northern Illinois ? 21 points
    https://getsomemaction.com/news/2021/11/3/mens-basketball-preseason-coaches-poll-all-mac-teams-announced.aspx
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:20:15 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: chris88, wlf

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2021, 01:37:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can remember Groce at Ohio and it being a tough game when we played them.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2021, 01:48:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 5th place in the MAC is supposed to be impressive?

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan, svherd, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2021, 01:48:11 PM »