Author Topic: And this is why  (Read 930 times)

Online Always THE HERD

And this is why
« on: December 02, 2021, 12:24:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • "at present" we should NOT be attempting 3 pointers:
    Thru 7 games (only the ones who played in all and attempted a 3 are included)
    Kinsey - .188%
    Taylor - .293%
    Anochili-Killen - .167
    George - .188%
    Beyers - .389%
    Sarenac - .381
    Miladinovic - .444
    ~
    So, I'll suffice it to say (IMO) until one can shoot over 40% in a practice scrimmage, one should NOT be allowed to attempt one in a live game.

HerdFans.com

And this is why
    « on: December 02, 2021, 12:24:02 PM »

Offline RollingThunder80

Re: And this is why
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Taylor is starting to shoot better so he needs to keep stroking it.  Kinsey shot well last year so hopefully he will get better also. Sarenec is our best pure shooter and needs to shoot.  The rest prob shouldn?t even try unless wide wide wide open.  It?s all about shot selection

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Shot almost 50% from three last night (11-23). That is quite good. I figured our 3-point shooting will start coming around some. I think that Obinna needs to not shoot from three.

The following users thanked this post: herdinphilly, wlf, herdthatandrew

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 01:04:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 40 is a pretty high bar from 3.  that's equivalent to 60 from 2-pt range.  i would definitely agree you need to be in the 30s.  kinsey's a better 3pt shooter than 18%.  & taylor is shooting much better right now.  OAK, george, & goran (44%, what a joke) need to be looking for a teammate to pass to if they have the ball that far out.  beyers would actually be a much better weapon if he'd stop with the prayers he heaves up from salt rock with 20 secs on the shot clock.  he's shooting 39% including those, he'd be deadly if he would just limit his attempts to the "good looks" he has.  but, again, when it comes to beyers, that's his problem...he always tries to be someone he's not, can't just play off his strengths.  he can be a good 3pt weapon for us, if he'd quit thinking he's Stephen curry.
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:43:55 PM by miltonherdfan »

Offline RollingThunder80

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 01:10:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn?t see Earlys stats in there but he?s also one who should be taking all decent looks from 3 land. Agreed Byers just needs to calm down and take better shots but he?s not going to. Just how it is.

The following users thanked this post: goherd24

Offline herdthatandrew

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 01:22:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Kinsey - .188%
    Taylor - .293%
    Anochili-Killen - .167
    George - .188%
    Beyers - .389%
    Sarenac - .381
    Miladinovic - .444
    ~

So, I'll suffice it to say (IMO) until one can shoot over 40% in a practice scrimmage, one should NOT be allowed to attempt one in a live game.

You cannot completely abandon the 3 in the year 2021. 3s and layups are the most efficient shots in the game. As stated previously we shot the 3 quite well last night. If you wanna complain about our FT shooting or defense then fair game. But the 3 did nothing but keep us in the game last night. It is not 40 years ago. Every good team shoots the 3 at a high rate

The following users thanked this post: thunderingon, horsrman

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 01:42:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nm

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 09:02:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Kinsey - .188%
    Taylor - .293%
    Anochili-Killen - .167
    George - .188%
    Beyers - .389%
    Sarenac - .381
    Miladinovic - .444
    ~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 09:37:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let?s be honest George has a very flat shot which severely limits ability to make 3?s.  Why he is encouraged to shoot 3s from the staff is bewildering.

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 09:53:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn?t see Earlys stats in there but he?s also one who should be taking all decent looks from 3 land. Agreed Byers just needs to calm down and take better shots but he?s not going to. Just how it is.
    I said those who played 7 games. Early only played 6

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 09:58:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 40 is a pretty high bar from 3.  that's equivalent to 60 from 2-pt range.  i would definitely agree you need to be in the 30s.  kinsey's a better 3pt shooter than 18%.  & taylor is shooting much better right now.  OAK, george, & goran (44%, what a joke) need to be looking for a teammate to pass to if they have the ball that far out.  beyers would actually be a much better weapon if he'd stop with the prayers he heaves up from salt rock with 20 secs on the shot clock.  he's shooting 39% including those, he'd be deadly if he would just limit his attempts to the "good looks" he has.  but, again, when it comes to beyers, that's his problem...he always tries to be someone he's not, can't just play off his strengths.  he can be a good 3pt weapon for us, if he'd quit thinking he's Stephen curry.
    By the way Kinsey was 1 for 4 at Akron.......isn't that 25%?............still not a good percentage.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 10:00:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    His percentages are some of better on team, so as he improves shot selection how high of a percentage do you think he needs?

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 10:00:16 PM »

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 10:10:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • His percentages are some of better on team, so as he improves shot selection how high of a percentage do you think he needs?

With the right coaching & his attitude (which seems to be very good).....from what I have seen I think he can be a very, very good player before he leaves Marshall. I like Kinsey as well.......but he does some "dumb stuff" (at least to me) sometimes. I think the team needs to be more patient.....even with the run and gun......like to see them play like Princeton (I think that's who it was several years ago).....they had excellent ball movement.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 10:13:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Team has issues now.

Everyone needs to get better including coaches.  Shooting zero threes make zero sense.  Worrying about shot selection of players with good shooting percentages will not help solve problems.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline Biggreensportsfan

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 07:40:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like DD but with the team we got Tae and Andrew will have to score 60 points a game for us to be in a game.

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 08:06:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like DD but with the team we got Tae and Andrew will have to score 60 points a game for us to be in a game.

That?s just not true and it?s already been proven this season. Obinna and George are more than capable of putting up the numbers needed.  You all calling for no 3?s and zone defenses really don?t understand the modern basketball game.  As already stated, we shot well from there Wednesday night and not too many.  There were plenty of other issues to blame that loss on.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 08:11:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • By the way Kinsey was 1 for 4 at Akron.......isn't that 25%?............still not a good percentage.

No, that's not an acceptable percentage.  but he shot 41% last yr from downtown & is still at 32% for career including his #s from this yr.  so, like taylor, he's got it in him, he just hasn't found the touch yet.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 08:15:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it's funny, DD says he's gonna have to figure out who wants to compete, bring 100% energy.

in reality, when you start playing/starting down-benchers, the truth will slap you right back down to the real reality.  however, i'd love to see down-benchers prove me wrong. 

as far as most improved this year from last, i see improvement, however limited or not, out of George, Killen, Sarenac, Early, Kinsey, and Taylor.  if we can just get some consistency night in and night out, but every opponent brings unique challenges and that's up to coaches to scout out better.

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 09:06:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• No, that's not an acceptable percentage.  but he shot 41% last yr from downtown & is still at 32% for career including his #s from this yr.  so, like taylor, he's got it in him, he just hasn't found the touch yet.

I think Kinsey is still trying to figure out his shooting touch after the adding a little weight this year, he seems to have found his mid range touch the last 3 or 4 games so hopefully his outside shooting touch comes along soon as well. Plus, a player like Kinsey has to shoot a few threes to keep defenders honest anyway, since so much of his game is off the dribble.

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 09:17:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The question should not be about the players
    Question is ..has DD improved in his coaching over the years

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline MUonium

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 09:33:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The question should not be about the players
    Question is ..has DD improved in his coaching over the years

can't argue against this.  the facts for me are that i'll take progression no matter how small (inching along in the right direction).  that's not to say every aspect has been going right.  but i'll point out that recruiting has inched along to the better, imho.  that DD has stuck to the philosophy of getting better by conference tournament time and for the most part , is true.  confident or consistent shooting or shooters is a problem- scoring when it matters.  rebounding when it matters, defense and getting to the foul line and making more of them.  moving and moving the ball more is what we're supposed to be all about on offense and we're not bad, just inconsistent in figuring out how to do that against varying, different opponents.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 11:04:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Where do you see these guys improved yeah George and Obinna are 2 that has, Micheal has his dumb moments, but Marko has made 3 treys in our first 5 games I'm 62 years old and if I shoot 16 shots I can make 3. Goran is a good guy but basketball not his game, AT looked like he was lost in the Akron game but maybe just maybe I was watching a different game than some of the x NBA/ college players commenting on here.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 11:04:30 AM »

Offline GK4Herd

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 11:20:53 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where do you see these guys improved yeah George and Obinna are 2 that has, Micheal has his dumb moments, but Marko has made 3 treys in our first 5 games I'm 62 years old and if I shoot 16 shots I can make 3. Goran is a good guy but basketball not his game, AT looked like he was lost in the Akron game but maybe just maybe I was watching a different game than some of the x NBA/ college players commenting on here.

Taylor had 26 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, and only turned the ball over 1 time in 40 minutes of play. He?s currently 14th in the NCAA in assists and 2nd in steals. Without AT we get blown out by 20+. The only reason he was in a position to make a costly mistake is because he (and Kinsey) put us in that position.

I think some of the mistakes made late can be attributed to fatigue. We need to find a way to to get Taylor and Kinsey some rest. The emerging minutes of Early could help us there.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, wlf, The E-Man, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 11:28:31 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
    Marko is 8 of 21 for 38% from 3 point, but you go on.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: wlf

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 11:58:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Taylor and Tae is definitely our work horses, not talking about them 2, and you can't count scrimmage games in the stat book Marko has scored 9 points in our first 5 games that is 3-13.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 11:58:15 AM »