Author Topic: Pennington, Zamora or Chase Harrison  (Read 4732 times)

Offline banker

Re: Pennington, Zamora or Chase Harrison
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2021, 12:44:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we stick with our offense, Zamora is the only freshman that has a shot of beating out Wells IMO. Cole is undoubtedly well trained, but just hasn't played the competition to prepare him for day one.

As far as Wells, I get why a lot of people are down on him, but don't know why anyone questions his "moxie"?  He's a tough kid whose biggest fault is probably his confidence, or over confidence.  As far as the bowl game, I honestly believe he was still feeling effects of the concussion.  He was so far off that it was way worse than anything we have seen out of him before.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2021, 12:44:16 AM »

Offline muherd34

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2021, 08:31:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we stick with our offense, Zamora is the only freshman that has a shot of beating out Wells IMO. Cole is undoubtedly well trained, but just hasn't played the competition to prepare him for day one.

As far as Wells, I get why a lot of people are down on him, but don't know why anyone questions his "moxie"?  He's a tough kid whose biggest fault is probably his confidence, or over confidence.  As far as the bowl game, I honestly believe he was still feeling effects of the concussion.  He was so far off that it was way worse than anything we have seen out of him before.

I want nothing more than Grant to win big and become a Marshall QB Legend.  But to do that he has to start winning some big games.  Yes I know its a team game, but when the game is on the line I have about 10% confidence that he can lead us to a victory.  Im usually about 90% sure he will throw a pick into triple coverage.  He is not a freshman like the class indicator states and I feel he should know better than that now.  However I believe alot of his troubles lie with coaching, Cramsey sucks as a situational play caller.  Going into the half, we are easily driving the ball and can score and get the ball after half.  We had all the timeouts and didn't need a homerun throw, just needed to keep moving the chains.  What does Cramsey do?  Surely, he can see that Grant is NOT 100% and is not making any throws beyond 7yds.  Crazy and disappointing.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, miltonherdfan, MicDrass1

Offline svherd

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2021, 09:26:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Agree 100% about the concussion. I still think he was seeing double at times. After a concussion it still takes time to get the flutters out of ones vision - meaning, when you move your head quickly, everything moves and nothing is stable. That's why they give you exercises to re-train the brain. I've had to do them when I had mine years ago and my daughter had to do them when she got hers playing soccer.

Let's face facts, the only way we had a chance to beat UL was with Wells. Obviously the staff felt a recovering Wells gave us the only chance we had; and that Zban or Fancher just didn't have the experience or tools to get it done. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline svherd

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2021, 09:27:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I want nothing more than Grant to win big and become a Marshall QB Legend.  But to do that he has to start winning some big games.  Yes I know its a team game, but when the game is on the line I have about 10% confidence that he can lead us to a victory.  Im usually about 90% sure he will throw a pick into triple coverage.  He is not a freshman like the class indicator states and I feel he should know better than that now.  However I believe alot of his troubles lie with coaching, Cramsey sucks as a situational play caller.  Going into the half, we are easily driving the ball and can score and get the ball after half.  We had all the timeouts and didn't need a homerun throw, just needed to keep moving the chains.  What does Cramsey do?  Surely, he can see that Grant is NOT 100% and is not making any throws beyond 7yds.  Crazy and disappointing.

Cramsey is a huge reason we have issues on offense. The pass play you referred to and the INT, had me screaming at the TV to fire his ass at halftime.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: muherd34

Offline herd2win

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2021, 10:39:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I wouldn?t judge Wells from the bowl game.  Short time since concussion you could tell he was suffering from that.  He went down a couple of times prior to contact and also ran out of bounds 5 yards before he had to.

Concussions are a very serious thing and the fact he played in the game should be commended.  Cramsey/Huff don?t have that excuse for the play calling.

If Wells was healthy, as good as Ali was running all we had to do was fake to Ali as the defense was flowing towards him and Wells would have had long gains on the bootleg.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2021, 10:44:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know nothing about these three freshmen except Cole is the son of Chad. I don't know if I want a true freshman QB starting at Notre Dame.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #31 on: December 20, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As far as all these QBs Zban, Francier, cunningham and smith and soon to be Zamora, Pennington and Harrison, we need to adopt the Jim Tressell policy on recruiting.  Only recruit players that you intend to play. Do not recruit and give scholarships to players that cannot play, period.  We don?t need to hand out scholarships to uniform models. 

We wouldn?t recruit a point guard that can?t dribble.  Why do we have QBs that can?t complete a 10 yard pass? 

If you can?t read a defense, if you can?t memorize the playbook and if you can?t throw a 10 yard out route on time and on target then you have no business wearing a number less than 20 and being on a full scholarship

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, miltonherdfan

Offline goherd24

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2021, 12:18:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have options. Wells is not a championship QB, not even close. I yhink if he doesn't transfer portal, then you start wells st ND with your intended freshman starter ready to go if wells starts to defend his interception title.

Tough ask to start a true freshman in south bend, but honestly, I'd rather us lose giving our future guy experience next season than lose with a guy that you know is so inconsistent you'll never win more than 7 games with.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2021, 01:50:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Best time ever to bring in a new OC.  A bunch of Qbs ........ open competition while learning a new offense.  Marshall needs to use plays under center.  At Navy we did a qb sneak for a 1st down under center and never did it again.  Not good coaching there.

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For nostalgic reasons, I'd like to see Pennington start as a freshman and lead the team to championships for 4 years.

Offline puma

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2021, 01:00:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • For nostalgic reasons, I'd like to see Pennington start as a freshman and lead the team to championships for 4 years.

I really hope it doesn't take until 2025 to win another championship.

Offline Johns1124

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2021, 01:05:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • is it just me being wrong, or did Zamora play, or was forced to play at a little more tempo/speed of game/better league?  if true, it would be a bonus and he'd maybe have a leg up on competition?

need a full senior highlight film for Pennington.  i think he and Harrison are a little smoother/feel passers but it's really hard to tell for certain.

There is one:

He looks slow, his balls hang up (loft) too much, and his ball wobbles on delivery.

Not Impressive.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2021, 01:05:05 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2021, 01:16:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One thing in Penningtons favor is his dad and the prep work he does. Not too many kids have a Heisman finalist and NFL QB at their disposal 24/7. That is huge. The kid has good size. Be interesting to see the arm strength of all three come fall camp.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline hffo

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After watching the videos, I would give Harrison the upper hand.   He can make all the throws, deep, touch, sidelines, quick, etc.   He also seems to pose the greatest threat as a runner.    Pennington has the size and obviously the bloodline.   Good footwork from the video, but looks like to me he needs to work on his mechanics a bit in throwing.   Not a lot of tight spirals.    Zamora has a strong arm, and accurate ball.   We didn't get to see him throw under a lot of pressure.   Big kid, throws a nice fade.   Didn't see much running though.   Can tell he is a leader.   Harrison to me looks like the one that you would want on 3rd down from the videos.   He has some nice improv skills along with traditional QB skills.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #39 on: December 21, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I like the Zamora kid.  Within 4 seconds, most times, he has found an opening in the defense and the ball is out, he has no wind up in his release.  It was mentioned that he lead his team on a come from behind victory down 22 points. 

Right now I?d take confidence and moxie over pure arm talent or great practice footage.

Although I see no weakness in his arm.  He was launching the ball to Antonio Brown in perfect timing.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline Johns1124

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2021, 01:47:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was launching the ball to Antonio Brown in perfect timing.

Hope nothing rubbed off!

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cramsey is a huge reason we have issues on offense. The pass play you referred to and the INT, had me screaming at the TV to fire his ass at halftime.

This has always perplexed me. Why do people think of the 4 or 5 options a QB can throw to that it is the OC who chooses what EXACT route to throw to. If Grant throws into triple coverage down field when he had an open check down route to throw to...how is that the OC's fault?? I don't think the OC is saying every play the ball is going here and throw it no matter what. If the QB can't make the right decisions/check downs, find the open guy, etc....that is on him.

The following users thanked this post: herd33

Offline Green Dog

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2021, 02:00:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Without major upgrades at all receiver positions, I think we'll see more of the same regardless who
    is behind center. Unless we find the next Lamar Jackson, we need receivers. Several.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, herdfifteen

Offline svherd

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2021, 02:24:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This has always perplexed me. Why do people think of the 4 or 5 options a QB can throw to that it is the OC who chooses what EXACT route to throw to. If Grant throws into triple coverage down field when he had an open check down route to throw to...how is that the OC's fault?? I don't think the OC is saying every play the ball is going here and throw it no matter what. If the QB can't make the right decisions/check downs, find the open guy, etc....that is on him.

It?s the play calls. Why call a pass play when it?s obvious our running game is clicking. I know you hate Wells but much of this is on Cramsey. He totally puts the offense in bad situations. Passing on 1st down? When we have Ali? Ridiculous.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2021, 02:49:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I disagree with that last statement. 

Last season in the CUSA championship game Wells couldn't complete a pass the entire first half of the game.  A couple drops but far and away most of the passes were off target and clearly on Wells.  This season's bowl game was not worse than anything we have seen. 

I will not lay the blame for the roller coaster offense all at the feet of Wells.  Highlights from this seasons offense include far to many catchable passes dropped; to many short yardage situations that the OL couldn't get the push needed to get the first down or TD; poor play calling and execution; an inexcusable number of 3 and outs; and passing routes that either the QB doesn't know where the WR is supposed to go or the WR doesn't know where he is supposed to be.  The offense needs an upgrade across the board.  The RB position needs an upgrade in depth, got to be 2 deep at the RB spot. 

Right now on offense, the only position I feel good about is the RB position. 

Offline svherd

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2021, 03:21:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People's heads are gonna explode if all three of these kids get an RS.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, miltonherdfan

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2021, 03:32:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People's heads are gonna explode if all three of these kids get an RS.

I think most people want to see improvement at the QB spot whether it is Wells or someone else.  I'm fine with Wells as QB so long as he improves this off season.  I think Wells will improve and he will be more comfortable with offense.  Everyone has to keep in mind that this was the first season running Huff's offense. 

It would be great to see Wells improve and have another QB that challenges him for the starting spot.  That would be the best of all worlds.  It's unlikely that a QB straight from HS will win the starting QB spot next season but there is hope for one of the QB currently on the roster.     

If Wells shows no improvement then Huff has got to give someone else a shot even if it is splitting QB time between 2 QBs.  We've all seen players that are the best players on the field in practice but don't play as well during a game.  We've also seen players that don't practice well but are great game day players.  Huff has to give someone else a chance to rise to the top on gameday. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2021, 03:32:05 PM »

Offline CharlestonHerdGuy

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2021, 04:54:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My opinion is get someone from the transfer portal. Some schools have several good ones and the one or ones that lose out are going to want to come some place where they can play.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2021, 05:13:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the Zamora kid.  Within 4 seconds, most times, he has found an opening in the defense and the ball is out, he has no wind up in his release.  It was mentioned that he lead his team on a come from behind victory down 22 points. 

Right now I?d take confidence and moxie over pure arm talent or great practice footage.

Although I see no weakness in his arm.  He was launching the ball to Antonio Brown in perfect timing.

Zamora looks on film to be the most polished of the 3 qbs coming in.  But I will never count a Pennington out at QB.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2021, 10:31:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, muherd34, The E-Man, Johnnyherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2021, 10:31:59 AM »