Author Topic: Pennington, Zamora or Chase Harrison  (Read 4729 times)

Offline herdinphilly

Re: Pennington, Zamora or Chase Harrison
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2021, 07:36:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Zamora looked pretty short standing next to AB who?s only about 5?10?.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2021, 07:36:52 PM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #51 on: December 22, 2021, 08:46:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Zamora looked pretty short standing next to AB who?s only about 5?10?.

Kyler Murray is 5?10 and might be the NFL MVP.  I?m more worried about can he lead us down the field and score the game winning TD if the defense sells out against the run.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2021, 11:33:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Zamora is listed at 6'

Offline BraveSaintStuart

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2021, 12:19:16 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looking at the highlight films, understanding that I'm not a good gauge of the teams they're going up against, my initial impression went 1) Zamora 2) Harrison 3) Pennington. Zamora was throwing bombs out there and seems to have a strong arm that will, hopefully, only get stronger between now and camp. Harrison seemed to be cool as a cucumber in the pocket and never once seemed rattled. Pennington also looked pretty good in the pocket. I mostly just question his arm strength a bit. Then again... it's not like Chad had supreme arm strength.

Speaking of Chad, I also know that many of us would like to see Chad 2.0. My biggest fear in starting Cole out from day 1 is that the same kind of confidence crushing will happen to him that's happened to Wells. We put our offense in Wells' hands over the last couple years because he was the best available for the job. I think peoples' expectations of him were probably a little more lofty after his first couple games and he played so well. Add to that kind of pressure would be the expectations of fans who might expect Cole to indeed be Chad Jr. It'd be great if that could happen but I just don't know that it's realistic, and I don't know that it's fair to judge Cole based on his father's accomplishments.

I'm also of the minority opinion that if Wells is fit to go next season, I'd be fine with him starting.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, muherd34, herdfan129

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2021, 12:49:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have a hunch Cole is going to make some $ off NIL deals in Huntington

Offline MUther

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2021, 01:30:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We would have never had propgate if NIL was around back then.  Lots of schools served sanctions for innocent mistakes over the years regarding jobs for current players and prospects or even outright payoffs to recruits.  Schools should petition to get vacated wins back. 

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #56 on: December 23, 2021, 08:19:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Zamora is listed at 6'

Troy Brown was listed at 5'10", which means I must be 6'2"

Offline puma

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have a hunch Cole is going to make some $ off NIL deals in Huntington

No doubt. I hope he's head and shoulders above the others and there's zero ambiguity about it or things are going to turn really ugly.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2021, 09:24:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way Cole comes out and gets nod over Wells.  Cole needs alot of work based on the film I have seen.  I'm no we expert, but he has poor arm strength and throws a wobbly ball.  However I'm sure he will be the best qb in the film room and has all kinds of room to grow into a solid qb.  I hate that Cramsey is here because I have yet to see him groom a qb and make him better. At the very least it may be interesting this summer. 

The following users thanked this post: Yaherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2021, 11:31:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The whole sad situation is, Doc left us with ONE viable QB on the roster. Hard to overcome that.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2021, 01:32:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The whole sad situation is, Doc left us with ONE viable QB on the roster. Hard to overcome that.

That's a good assessment. 

Huff retained Cramsey in the same Offensive Coordinator / QB Coach position.  Cramsey had to know he only had one viable QB on the roster.

What did Cramsey do to address the depth issue at QB this season?  From the outside looking in, it appears nothing.  Didn't recruit depth or develop depth from the existing players.

Huff may think are in a better position at QB than what we fans do.  Huff went to the transfer portal and brought in the RB transfer from FSU, Khalan Laborn.  Huff justified this addition to the roster by saying we need insurance in the event something happens to Ali and it adds depth to the position.  Smart move on Huff's part, right?

Doesn't the same reasoning apply to the QB position? 

If Huff doesn't bring in a transfer QB then either:  1) Huff is happy with where we are at QB considering the players on the roster and the incoming freshmen; 2) there was not a worthy QB in the transfer portal that the number 1 recruiter in the country could bring to Marshall; or 3) Huff has chosen to disregard the logic he used to recruit a transfer RB and has made the dumb decision to put all his eggs in Well's basket.

I believe the collective minds of the coaches are smarter than to put all their eggs in Well's basket.  If Huff doesn't bring in a transfer QB then I can only guess that Huff is satisfied with where we are at QB for next season.   

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2021, 11:59:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's a good assessment. 

Huff retained Cramsey in the same Offensive Coordinator / QB Coach position.  Cramsey had to know he only had one viable QB on the roster.

What did Cramsey do to address the depth issue at QB this season?  From the outside looking in, it appears nothing.  Didn't recruit depth or develop depth from the existing players.

Huff may think are in a better position at QB than what we fans do.  Huff went to the transfer portal and brought in the RB transfer from FSU, Khalan Laborn.  Huff justified this addition to the roster by saying we need insurance in the event something happens to Ali and it adds depth to the position.  Smart move on Huff's part, right?

Doesn't the same reasoning apply to the QB position? 

If Huff doesn't bring in a transfer QB then either:  1) Huff is happy with where we are at QB considering the players on the roster and the incoming freshmen; 2) there was not a worthy QB in the transfer portal that the number 1 recruiter in the country could bring to Marshall; or 3) Huff has chosen to disregard the logic he used to recruit a transfer RB and has made the dumb decision to put all his eggs in Well's basket.

I believe the collective minds of the coaches are smarter than to put all their eggs in Well's basket.  If Huff doesn't bring in a transfer QB then I can only guess that Huff is satisfied with where we are at QB for next season.

Excellent post. I'm watching for, and hoping for two things from Huff over the next month or so.

#1. Find a portal QB. Go find a JR or SR who can hopefully compete for the starting job. If nothing else he should be able to at least provide depth from an older player.

#2. Possibly the most important, replace Cramsey. We need a new OC in here and specifically someone who knows how to develop QBs.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2021, 11:59:51 PM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2021, 07:42:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't checked QB rankings lately but when I last looked Harrison was the higher ranked of the 3 followed by Zamora and Pennington. I would assume that the lack of good competition has hurt Cole
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't checked QB rankings lately but when I last looked Harrison was the higher ranked of the 3 followed by Zamora and Pennington. I would assume that the lack of good competition has hurt Cole

Per rivals rating: 5.4  2 star    Cole Pennington

5.5  3 Star   Chase Harrison

5.5.  3 star   Pete Zamora

Offline dwaynehinkle

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2021, 01:24:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Per rivals rating: 5.4  2 star    Cole Pennington

5.5  3 Star   Chase Harrison

5.5.  3 star   Pete Zamora
    Ranking on the websites if you?re outside the top 50 players is totally inconsistent. Some different local guy has done the rating for all three of them so while it is probably in the ballpark it can?t be totally accurate.

Offers and interest are usually a better indicator, which makes Harrison far and away the strongest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2021, 01:49:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Find a way to get Tyson Bagent.  Wells hits portal or backup.  Freshman backup and battle Wells for Fall 23

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2021, 02:19:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Multiple posters clamoring for a transfer QB ... none of the freshmen QB will be able to do the job .. not ready, yada yada.

I can pretty much tell you if we bring in a transfer QB we lose both Harrison and Zamora. For a multiplicity of reasons I think Cole might stay. We wouldn't be too badly off with Wells and Pennington.

But if you want to reach for the stars - and probably sooner than later - you let Zamora and Harrison battle it out for the starter role. If Wells can fend them off so be it - but I doubt it. We keep either H or Z plus Cole we are pretty good shape.

My take.

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline grannyandpops

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2021, 03:02:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?ve mentioned Fancher before. Is he not even considered as an option to start by anyone?

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #68 on: December 24, 2021, 03:25:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have 2 Former NFL QBs that had about 20 years combined in the NFL and they didn?t have 2 stars combined coming out of high school.  And are only 4 star QB just finished playing TE for 5 years, not too worried about stars.

Also I don?t know if you saw that high school QBs 3.0 stars and below are receiving far less scholarship offers because of big boys don?t want a unproven 3 star as the future of their programs and little schools want former 4-5 stars or proven QBs out of the portal.  But, what sucks is the reverse when a g5 offers a kid and develops him and boom he is off to Big boy U.

As for Francier why did he redshirt why not back up?  You gotta believe if he pushed Wells he would have been active.  Guessing maybe he conceded this year to Wells, with the plan he starts his senior classmen years.

But, again this Zamora is pretty solid and he has tons of YouTube videos going back to when he was about 8 years old playing QB.  I know about every kid trying to play D1 football has to make learning how to play QB an occupation but this kid has walked a 100 miles backwards one 3 step drop at a time.
    « Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 03:27:01 PM by Johnnyherd »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2021, 03:33:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Multiple posters clamoring for a transfer QB ... none of the freshmen QB will be able to do the job .. not ready, yada yada.

I can pretty much tell you if we bring in a transfer QB we lose both Harrison and Zamora. For a multiplicity of reasons I think Cole might stay. We wouldn't be too badly off with Wells and Pennington.

But if you want to reach for the stars - and probably sooner than later - you let Zamora and Harrison battle it out for the starter role. If Wells can fend them off so be it - but I doubt it. We keep either H or Z plus Cole we are pretty good shape.

My take.

Bring in a 1 Year guy they will stay for a least one and battle to start as RS Fr

Offline MUther

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2021, 07:10:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Troy Brown was listed at 5'10", which means I must be 6'2"

Which we know you are not lol.  I can look down at the top of both y'alls heads

The following users thanked this post: bbcard1, mr_ash_1995

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2021, 09:27:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At the end of the day I?m taking Penny2.  Bloodlines matter.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2021, 09:27:04 PM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2021, 09:36:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need to replace Cramsey but I don?t see Huff doing that.  They have been friends from the past.  I was surprised when a Huff kept him on until I found out about their past connection.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, muherd34, MicDrass1, herdfan129

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2021, 08:53:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?ve mentioned Fancher before. Is he not even considered as an option to start by anyone?
    I doubt it. He was recruited as an athlete,  not a QB

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2021, 03:02:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tyson Bageant would be an incredible pick up if we could get him.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2021, 03:02:19 PM »