Author Topic: Pennington, Zamora or Chase Harrison  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
Pennington, Zamora or Chase Harrison
« on: December 19, 2021, 01:28:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Honestly I hope one of these guys is named the starter week 1 and we don?t look back.  I dont see a reason not to start investing in the future. 

Wells gave us 99 yards passing, no touchdowns, 1 interception and 23% completion on 3rd down.  I don?t see how a true freshman would do any worse.

But seriously, for those of you that looked at these in coming QBs, who do you like for the future?

The following users thanked this post: muherd, ed swain

HerdFans.com

Pennington, Zamora or Chase Harrison
    « on: December 19, 2021, 01:28:13 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

Re: Pennington, Zamora or Chase Harrison
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 01:32:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ed swain, Yaherd

Offline luvherd

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 01:34:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I suspect we bring in a veteran transfer for a year to allow for freshman maturity.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

The following users thanked this post: scherd, mr_ash_1995, svherd, Banshee, MicDrass1, herdfan129

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 01:39:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Harrison will probably adjust to the speed of college football first, but in a short time Penny2 will as well.  5 years from now I think it will be Penny2.  Zamora has serious arm talent.
    « Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 01:42:04 PM by MicDrass1 »

Offline muherd34

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 01:42:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm fine with any of the 3.  However I assume we will look for an upperclassmen. Man I hate to see wells not be the guy.  Local kid, that was rolling last year and got broke in that Rice game and never mentally recovered.

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach has already eluded to the fact that he doesn?t want to start a true freshman.  My guess is that game 1 will be Wells and they will see who rises to the top and becomes the back up. I?ve never seen a qb like wells that can look so good at times and so bad at others.  Yesterday was just bad?looked inexperienced and just rattled the whole game.

Offline svherd

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I suspect we bring in a veteran transfer for a year to allow for freshman maturity.

This should be the plan but I doubt we do it. Sadly

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 01:58:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This should be the plan but I doubt we do it. Sadly

from what he had to say about portal QBs, in general, in his signing day presser, i'd be really surprised if he gets anybody.

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 02:24:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I'm done with Grant as QB.  He just doesn't have the moxie or leadership skills.  Probably would serve us better in the secondary.

I think Pennington delivers the long ball best.  Would be nice to bring Chad on staff -- especially if Huff bolts.

The kid from Anderson has the best receivers.  And he really has command of his team.

Even the Ohio kid is better than Wells.  Might take him a little while to develop.

Right now, I'd say it's a toss up between between Pennington and Zamora.  For the long run, I'm not against a true freshman starting.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, MicDrass1

Offline herd1990

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 02:35:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?d rather go through growing pains with a freshman with a high ceiling that watch wells again.  Wells reached his ceiling last year.  He has shown nothing but regression.  Nice kid.  Good kid.  But not even close to being good enough to start here.  Maybe Fairmont St or WV state.  But not Marshall.  If we don?t find a transfer portal qb, start a freshman.  Baptism by fire.  At least they won?t be scared of throwing a pass when it?s 3rd and 5.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, herdfan129

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fair, Open competition with all guys learning a new offense is fair

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline MUonium

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 03:24:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • is it just me being wrong, or did Zamora play, or was forced to play at a little more tempo/speed of game/better league?  if true, it would be a bonus and he'd maybe have a leg up on competition?

need a full senior highlight film for Pennington.  i think he and Harrison are a little smoother/feel passers but it's really hard to tell for certain.

keeping in mind these are their 'best of' vids: all three, to the best of my knowledge, seem to have sound fundamentals.  all three use touch, varying arch/trajectory, but again Pennington and Harrison maybe a little more??  However, most of Zamora's highlights were of very long to medium passes, so that makes it harder to tell concerning touch/accuracy.

even considering the speed, size and power differences between the HS game and College, these guys are at least a little, maybe significantly better than anyone we have now (although i'd have to look back at Well's HS film).

i too am OK with starting a true freshman, if necessary.  got to start somewhere new or somewhere different as a team even if it means another learning year.

i don't know how or what Huff thinks of his future.  he's obviously still perceived as a commodity or his agent is marketing him heavily, but if he wants to remain a commodity and not fade away, lose attention, then he'll need to win more as soon as possible.  so, how do you do that?  first guess is you might want to follow the WKU coach playbook and get a transfer.  then again, maybe he's not like that at all, and will settle in for at least 2 or 3 years.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 03:24:48 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 03:25:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does anyone really think a true freshmen is gonna come in and lead this team to a league title? Almost impossible. Not that we won?t try it. Feel for Grant, but like Green, and others, he just can?t get it done. Cramsey should be fired. As should our DB coach.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: herd1990

Offline MUther

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 03:31:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach has already eluded to the fact that he doesn?t want to start a true freshman.  My guess is that game 1 will be Wells and they will see who rises to the top and becomes the back up. I?ve never seen a qb like wells that can look so good at times and so bad at others.  Yesterday was just bad?looked inexperienced and just rattled the whole game.

We just had 2 like that.  Litton and Green could look like worldbeaters one quarter and completely fall apart the next.  That Boise game we started fast and looked like we would roll them and then NOTHING. 

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 03:33:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't sleep on Fancher.  I read somewhere that the staff likes him.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, Collis P

Offline MUonium

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2021, 03:42:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

i know there are factors, but still, why didn't they play him over Zban when Wells went down.  loyality to QBs can be the end of a coaches career, it has to also be a business, just ask Marshall's remaining fan base

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ed swain

Offline Mako

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2021, 04:46:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1

I watch a good bit of college football and, quite frankly, Wells looks pretty much like your average to slightly below average college quarterback.  His QBR is 81st out of 126 which has dropped as the season progressed.  Earlier this year, I think he was in the mid 50's.  His failure to get better is the thing that has frustrated me the most. 
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2021, 05:42:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I was thinking the same thing. I haven?t seen enough of him to form an opinion. But, he is a dual threat.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2021, 06:11:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • « Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 06:13:44 PM by MicDrass1 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2021, 06:18:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Penny2 will be the most polished of them all.  Chad was excellent in the pros working the pocket.  If Coles college arm is better than Chads and has the sand anticipation and feel for the game it?s a wrap.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 08:24:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

If not then Huff will never be successful here or anywhere else.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 08:52:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just throwing this out there for guys who are closer to the program. These guys are currently listed on our roster:

Grant Wells - We know what Grant is
    Luke Zban - Legacy player, possible mop-up/emergency guy. Great scout team type qb.
    Cam Fancher - Played sparingly this year. Three star. Throws a nice deep ball.
    Ty Tapley
    Cade Cunningham
    Seth Smith

Do any of these guys have potential?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 08:52:19 PM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 09:46:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watch a good bit of college football and, quite frankly, Wells looks pretty much like your average to slightly below average college quarterback.  His QBR is 81st out of 126 which has dropped as the season progressed.  Earlier this year, I think he was in the mid 50's.  His failure to get better is the thing that has frustrated me the most.

Subtract out FCS blowouts and you?ll truer numbers, but really what matters about QBs are what they do on 3rd down, 4th down and when the game is on the line.

Wells has had about 30 chances in all the games we?ve lost in the last 2 years  (except 1) to win them and he is 0-30.  Now he?ll come out and beat the brakes off a FCS school at home and pad his numbers but we need a QB that we can believe in.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #23 on: December 19, 2021, 09:49:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just throwing this out there for guys who are closer to the program. These guys are currently listed on our roster:

Grant Wells - We know what Grant is
    Luke Zban - Legacy player, possible mop-up/emergency guy. Great scout team type qb.
    Cam Fancher - Played sparingly this year. Three star. Throws a nice deep ball.
    Ty Tapley
    Cade Cunningham
    Seth Smith

Do any of these guys have potential?

It would be nice to try something and spark the offense.  Put one of them in, roll them out, with an option to pull the ball and see if the can do better than 3 yards a completion like Wells.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Viewing the posted highlights I am seeing things differently, based on my almost 6 full decades of armchair quarterbacking.

I see Zamora throwing frozen ropes out of a very quick release. Plus, Huff was on record as supporting Z's work ethic / constantly bugging him about the playbook, etc. He looks the most qualified as a potential starter as a freshman. Harrison looks very good to me too, plus he is a real threat to run, very fast.

Maybe I am *blaspheming* here if I question Cole's arm strength and the level of competition he looked to be facing. Just my unqualified take.

is it just me being wrong, or did Zamora play, or was forced to play at a little more tempo/speed of game/better league?  if true, it would be a bonus and he'd maybe have a leg up on competition?

need a full senior highlight film for Pennington.  i think he and Harrison are a little smoother/feel passers but it's really hard to tell for certain.

keeping in mind these are their 'best of' vids: all three, to the best of my knowledge, seem to have sound fundamentals.  all three use touch, varying arch/trajectory, but again Pennington and Harrison maybe a little more??  However, most of Zamora's highlights were of very long to medium passes, so that makes it harder to tell concerning touch/accuracy.

even considering the speed, size and power differences between the HS game and College, these guys are at least a little, maybe significantly better than anyone we have now (although i'd have to look back at Well's HS film).

i too am OK with starting a true freshman, if necessary.  got to start somewhere new or somewhere different as a team even if it means another learning year.

i don't know how or what Huff thinks of his future.  he's obviously still perceived as a commodity or his agent is marketing him heavily, but if he wants to remain a commodity and not fade away, lose attention, then he'll need to win more as soon as possible.  so, how do you do that?  first guess is you might want to follow the WKU coach playbook and get a transfer.  then again, maybe he's not like that at all, and will settle in for at least 2 or 3 years.
    « Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 11:25:10 PM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »