Author Topic: Bagent enters the portal  (Read 4466 times)

Offline goherd24

Re: Bagent enters the portal
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2022, 03:36:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You can't pick one player here and there and just make a blanket statement that D2 is close to FBS. We could put our absolute worst lineman in the game and murder a D2 school in football. Sure there are diamonds in the rough but the competition level at every position is less.

Based on quick googled search, there's something like 40 D2 players in the NFL. I have no idea how many start. There are 1,696 players on active rosters in the NFL. That's roughly 2% D2 players in the NFL and I have no idea how many are actually active roster players. If what you say is true then it should be significantly higher.

Bagent probably should have been at a G5 school but was overlooked. Wells would be awesome in D2 also. We will see how good he really is this year at Maryland. If what some of you say is true then he should be in the top 15 statistically for QBs this coming year.

I only know of 3 that play or start, Theilean or however you spell it for the vikings, wide receiver, and austin ekeler for the chargers. Tyreek Hill was division 2 Technically in those numbers but that was because of trouble in D1 and he went there for a second chance. And that is also true of several of those 40 or so that went to the nfl from d2 im sure.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2022, 03:36:22 PM »

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2022, 03:41:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In terms of D2 Basketball, there isn't really a difference in skill.

Ball handling is equal
    Passing is equal
    Shooting is equal

The major difference is size and speed.

That guy shooting the lights out in D2 is 6'0-6'2 while his D1 counterpart is 6'5+ with a quicker release.

That guard you see with the incredible handles at D2 is 5'10 while his D1 counterpart is 6'2+ with a much faster first step.

Was talking to a College Coach the other day that watching a HS game I was attending watching a few players. One of those players parents point blank asked the coach if he thought he could make it at the D1 level. The coach's response was "He's got the skill, but he's got to grow. Everything he's able to do is something every player in D1 can do at his position. The difference is they're doing it at 6'8 and he might be a touch over 6'0."

You can work on your skill all you want, but if you don't have the D1 size and speed you aren't going to be successful no matter what your skill level is.

As for Bagent and football, the thing he's got working for him is he does have D1 size at 6'3, 215lbs. Does he have D1 level arm strength and quickness (not necessarily meaning foot speed or quickness but the ability to read defenses fast enough to match the speed on the field at that level), Idk? But, I guess we are gonna find out if he makes the jump up to Maryland.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 03:43:44 PM by Herdalum83 »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2022, 07:25:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't watch women's sports and I know there's a difference. I don't watch JV football and know there's a difference. I don't need to watch D2 to understand that the difference goes beyond DL and OL. I just showed you the stats. Explain why the NFL has only 2% of their players from D2 if their WR, RB, QB, DB and LBs are so close in skill and speed?

Also I'm only discussing football because this thread is about Bagent. Yes, I agree with you that basketball is much closer.

That?s a long winded way of saying you haven?t watched any of it lol?. Once again, if it was that much of a difference then Stevie Browning would have been dropping 50 while he was at Fairmont St?. He had around the same production at both D2 Fairmont and Marshall.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2022, 07:26:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Love ya man, but you're just wrong here. I've watched maybe 2, and the scores are like basketball games. It's like watching a high school game with slightly bigger players.

At least you have watched? how about basketball?

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2022, 07:29:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I only know of 3 that play or start, Theilean or however you spell it for the vikings, wide receiver, and austin ekeler for the chargers. Tyreek Hill was division 2 Technically in those numbers but that was because of trouble in D1 and he went there for a second chance. And that is also true of several of those 40 or so that went to the nfl from d2 im sure.

Of course? there are a TON of former D1 players who are playing D2?. Thanks for proving my point.

Brandon Ore was a Heisman candidate at Va Tech. He went to West Liberty in a relatively weak D2 football conference and was just another guy out there. He didn?t do anything special. Why is that?

Kid who just finished playing QB at West Liberty was a mediocre D2 QB (probably a bad D2 QB to be honest). He lead WVU to a win over Syracuse in a bowl game. Why didn?t he put up the same numbers as Bageant at the D2 level?

Honest questions.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2022, 07:31:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In terms of D2 Basketball, there isn't really a difference in skill.

Ball handling is equal
    Passing is equal
    Shooting is equal

The major difference is size and speed.

That guy shooting the lights out in D2 is 6'0-6'2 while his D1 counterpart is 6'5+ with a quicker release.

That guard you see with the incredible handles at D2 is 5'10 while his D1 counterpart is 6'2+ with a much faster first step.

Was talking to a College Coach the other day that watching a HS game I was attending watching a few players. One of those players parents point blank asked the coach if he thought he could make it at the D1 level. The coach's response was "He's got the skill, but he's got to grow. Everything he's able to do is something every player in D1 can do at his position. The difference is they're doing it at 6'8 and he might be a touch over 6'0."

You can work on your skill all you want, but if you don't have the D1 size and speed you aren't going to be successful no matter what your skill level is.

As for Bagent and football, the thing he's got working for him is he does have D1 size at 6'3, 215lbs. Does he have D1 level arm strength and quickness (not necessarily meaning foot speed or quickness but the ability to read defenses fast enough to match the speed on the field at that level), Idk? But, I guess we are gonna find out if he makes the jump up to Maryland.

Excellent post?. And to be honest, I?m not sure any of our guards would be all WVIAC/MEC even if they are bigger.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2022, 07:33:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• That?s a long winded way of saying you haven?t watched any of it lol?. Once again, if it was that much of a difference then Stevie Browning would have been dropping 50 while he was at Fairmont St?. He had around the same production at both D2 Fairmont and Marshall.

You clearly didn't even read the post. I specifically said football and agreed with you on basketball yet here you are only telling me about Browning. Tell me about those 2% NFL players.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2022, 07:36:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Of course? there are a TON of former D1 players who are playing D2?. Thanks for proving my point.

Brandon Ore was a Heisman candidate at Va Tech. He went to West Liberty in a relatively weak D2 football conference and was just another guy out there. He didn?t do anything special. Why is that?

Kid who just finished playing QB at West Liberty was a mediocre D2 QB (probably a bad D2 QB to be honest). He lead WVU to a win over Syracuse in a bowl game. Why didn?t he put up the same numbers as Bageant at the D2 level?

Honest questions.
    Ore had no work ethic and that's why he was booted from VT. He wasn't committed to the game and sucked.

And not a ton of former D1 players, I didn't mean that, i mean that of the 40 in the NFL, I'm sure some are like tyreek hill, who was a D1 that transferred down due to trouble, grades, etc.

Sorry bud but D2 is D2. It's not FCS or FBS and there is a HUGE gap.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2022, 07:45:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You clearly didn't even read the post. I specifically said football and agreed with you on basketball yet here you are only telling me about Browning. Tell me about those 2% NFL players.

Ok? so you agree about basketball.

Skilled players in football aren?t that much different. Across the board, yes, D1 is obviously better. But the best skilled players in D2 are just as good as everyone but the very top of D1. The top of D1 is obviously on another level.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2022, 07:47:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ore had no work ethic and that's why he was booted from VT. He wasn't committed to the game and sucked.

And not a ton of former D1 players, I didn't mean that, i mean that of the 40 in the NFL, I'm sure some are like tyreek hill, who was a D1 that transferred down due to trouble, grades, etc.

Sorry bud but D2 is D2. It's not FCS or FBS and there is a HUGE gap.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Such a huge gap that D1 players/starters  transfer down all the time and don?t dominate.

Interesting.

There?s no way in hell Marshall would win the D2 national championship in basketball this year. I don?t even think we would would the Mountain East.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bagent would light it up here at Marshall and anyone who is dismissing him because he played D2 is just being ignorant. Period.

He won the D2 Heisman. The top players in D2 would at least be All Conference in Sun Belt/CUSA.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2022, 08:10:55 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bagent is good.  We win CUSA with him at the helm.  He is better than Grant Wells. He makes throws Wells can?t. The difficult kind.  He has pocket awareness and is very strong.  His father is world arm wrestling champ.  I bet he?s strong.  Bloodlines matter.  I?ve seen D3 players go P5 and walkon and start.  D3 get drafted and nfl start.  Pro bowls.  You got it or you don?t.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2022, 08:10:55 PM »

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2022, 08:15:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://shepherdrams.com/sports/football/roster

Shepherd Roster

Not much size difference between Marshall & Shepherd

Some spots even bigger
    And we already know our roster lacks speed and nfl draft picks
    « Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:03:23 PM by MicDrass1 »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2022, 06:43:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bagent is staying.

He visited both West Virginia and Maryland.

?Things with West Virginia didn?t work out,? Bagent said, ?but Maryland really had my attention.

?I was going back and forth about Maryland. My heart?s here in Shepherdstown.?

Online svherd

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bagent is staying.

?Things with West Virginia didn?t work out,? Bagent said, ?but Maryland really had my attention.

Sucks for WVU. They are gonna be in a world of hurt in 2022.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online 2xBison

« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2022, 08:46:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sucks for WVU. They are gonna be in a world of hurt in 2022.

obvious to me that wvu wasn't that interested or he'd be there. 
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, HoPPy785

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2022, 09:21:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • obvious to me that wvu wasn't that interested or he'd be there.

My understanding is Maryland wanted him to redshirt and he didn't want to. He wanted guaranteed starter. I'm assuming WVU wasn't guaranteeing anything either. Nobody else wanted him.

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2022, 09:49:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My understanding is Maryland wanted him to redshirt and he didn't want to. He wanted guaranteed starter. I'm assuming WVU wasn't guaranteeing anything either. Nobody else wanted him.

Maryland is 100 per cent committed to "Little Tua."  Bagent would have to go there and knock the socks off of the coaching staff to get any playing time.  Sounds like he wanted a coronation instead competing for the throne.  He obviously didn't want to be here, so why continue talking about this guy.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, chris88

Online 2xBison

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2022, 11:18:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My understanding is Maryland wanted him to redshirt and he didn't want to. He wanted guaranteed starter. I'm assuming WVU wasn't guaranteeing anything either. Nobody else wanted him.

exactly.  that's why I said "that interested".  sure they talked to him but they were not that worried about obtaining his services.  my guess is wvu wanted him potentially, as a back up for depth or insurance.  did they even offer, or offer a scholly?   I don't know but I do think if they really wanted him, same for Maryland, he'd be there.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, HoPPy785

Offline chris88

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2022, 11:46:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maryland and Rutgers committed football suicide when they agreed to join the B10's best division with OSU, Mich, Penn St. They play for only lower level bowls like us but they get paid a lot more to do it. Even wins vs likes of WVU don't really register nationally because once conf season starts it's also ran city.

Maybe he wanted a NIL agreement but couldn't get it.  I don't know why he stayed but it's his life so he can do what he chooses.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2022, 11:52:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maryland and Rutgers committed football suicide when they agreed to join the B10's best division with OSU, Mich, Penn St. They play for only lower level bowls like us but they get paid a lot more to do it. Even wins vs likes of WVU don't really register nationally because once conf season starts it's also ran city.

Maybe he wanted a NIL agreement but couldn't get it.  I don't know why he stayed but it's his life so he can do what he chooses.

I honestly forget Rutgers exists at times. They have become 100% irrelevant since moving.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88, herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2022, 09:25:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bagent is staying.

But, but, but . . . why stay?  According to all his cheerleaders on here for "months" now is that at least HALF of the NFL teams are salivating over him!  Can't miss, sure fire future NFl all star, etc., etc., etc.  What good will another year at Shepherd do?  He's ready now, as clearly evidenced by the fact that Marshall showed little to no interest in him!!  :)
    « Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:27:39 PM by coalherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2022, 09:25:40 PM »

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2022, 09:43:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bagent had his chance to move up to D1. He chose to stay at D2.
    I figure he knows best where he belongs.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2022, 09:52:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The guy will get a NFL camp invit.  He?s the most prolific D2 Qb ever with NFL size and arm.  And he knows this. 

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But, but, but . . . why stay?  According to all his cheerleaders on here for "months" now is that at least HALF of the NFL teams are salivating over him!  Can't miss, sure fire future NFl all star, etc., etc., etc.  What good will another year at Shepherd do?  He's ready now, as clearly evidenced by the fact that Marshall showed little to no interest in him!!  :)

How do we know Marshall didn?t try to get him? We are stupid if we didn?t try.

Think whatever you want but he?s the best college QB in the state right now.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:01 PM »